Outside of coding, what's using Linux good for?

Outside of coding, what's using Linux good for?

Attached: 1200px-Tux.svg.png (1200x1414, 259K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borland_Turbo_C
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Servers, media centers, low-powered laptops, emulation, security systems, making Windows look bad.

Linux is good for coding? That's why most Linux application are shit?

This. And with KDE it's great for workstations.

Attached: Kode_macht_frei.png (355x330, 125K)

Being a good desktop operating system.

>coding on linux
>good

Fucking Windows is better.

How is using the OS with the worst font rendering for a job that consists 100% of typing text somehow better? How can I even compile C in Windows?

>How can I even compile C in Windows?

Downloading a compiler maybe?

Font looks the same as any other pc when it's the same size.

It's the most popular kernel for literally every use case except desktop

I use it mostly for photo editing and other multimedia work.

Open windowsfeatures, enable 'Windows Subsystem for Linux', open bash, type 'sudo apt install build-essential', then 'cc program.c'.

desktop threads

1. its not consume ram or cpu resources like windows or mac
2. you can install amd modify anything on that machine if you know what you are doing

Linux is good for diversity

That compiles a Linux executable.

freedom

Attached: vargman.png (282x295, 197K)

use the command:
i686-w64-mingw32-gcc
or
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc
depending on the pc. I've noticed some libraries only compile correctly with the first command.

>coding linux
I see what you did there

>No VS Studio
>Better at coding
lmao

Yeah, no they don't.

Ok, name a Windows C compiler.

>just install an entire Linux subsystem inside Windows, then compile the C code using it
>and then run the binaries using ANOTHER Linux subsystem
Yeah you sure showed me.

Linux is a kernel, so presumably it's good at loading drivers and presenting hardware abstraction APIs. I'm not sure what you mean by "coding", how can a kernel be good at coding? That doesn't make any sense.

i don't have time to fix my OS everytime it updates, dammit. I want to turn on the fucking machine and get to work.

Linux is an enthusiast OS... for people who like making their own PC's by hand. It's great for learning how an OS wrks and shit, but not if you have a job ...

like seriously

>i don't have time to fix my OS everytime it updates, dammit.
Then definitely don't use Windows.

>i don't have time to fix my OS everytime it updates
that has been a much worse problem for me on windows/mac desu, updating debian stable just werks

I'm not pro with Windows and I'm not the one you replied to. However, there are Windows C compilers and have been for a long time. Example of an old unused one is TurboC: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borland_Turbo_C

With aggressive power management you can make your laptop last almost twice as long on a charge.

pelles C and gcc through mingw... maybe do a Google before you spill your ignorance

>"name a Windows C compiler"
>names Linux compilers
Retard.
>but muh mingw
I said a Windows compiler. Me running photoshop in wine doesn't make photoshop a Linux program. You have no idea what you're talking about.

the whole experience has been inverse for me and I have been using linux for a long ass time. Debian 3.1

This lol. I've used Wangblows since 3.1 and loonix since Mandriva. Windows "updates" have and continue to consistently break vanilla hardware. In fact, my two machines on win10 just rolled back updates yesterday because the one prior broke gaming or something.

yeah, my machine has been laggy with the new win 10 updates... :(

1. Linux uses 100% of your PCs RAM and runs slower than Windows on high end desktop computers.
2. Same with Windows.

(I'm not person you replied to)
I also used Debian stable. It worked perfect under an AMD graphics card, but when I changed to a nvidia1070ti updating would sometimes break xserver-xorg. I would have to uninstall and reinstall xorg and gnome3 after each graphics driver update. In the end, replacing gnome with MATE+Compiz fixed the problem.

You can write and compile C, C++, C#, and more using Visual Studio.

unfortunately nvidia proprietary drivers are broken trash

Hosting a caldav for your mom busy schedule
>>>out
you fucking normie

MSVC isn't C standards compliant.

It's the best desktop os by far.
It's fast, it's stable, it updates quickly and completely, works on pretty much anything, so many DE choices, easily customizable to your liking.
Unless you can't live without some windows only program I recommend giving it a try.

Linux or one of the BSDs is my go to for every single machine that I own from embedded devices to rackmount servers. My one MacOS machine isn't really mine at all - it's work issue. It also manages to be wheezy and slow with 8GB RAM and an SSD because Microshart Orifice is terrible. I eagerly await the day when we replace these with Linux machines, and that in turn is held up by an internal dev team porting an application.

damn, fuckin' based.
i actually use FagOS for dev, but this is one based fucking post.
fuck kde gnome better lol more like mac haha!!

How young are you?
Do you think no one ever wrote C on windows lol?

>i don't have time to fix my OS everytime it updates, dammit. I want to turn on the fucking machine and get to work.
Ironically, this is why I don't use windows 10.
>buying nvidia past the 80

List of Top Best C/C++ IDE

1. Code: Blocks

It is a most popular and very simple IDE for c/c++ programmers. It’s famous because it is easy to use. You can simply write your c/c++ program and then compile them also at one click. It’s available for different different operating system. You should try this best c/c++ IDE.

2. Eclipse

Well I think you may aware about this! One can easily perform well designed task here. It is also available for java. We can easily use it in Windows, Mac and Linux system.You should try it.

3. Net beans

Net Beans IDE, is a well known Java IDE, but most of us might not be aware about it can be used for c/c++ also. You can create different c/c++ program here. It contains all feature of c/c++ compiler/IDE

4.Code Lite

It is also famous IDE of c/c++. Well its open source and cross platform IDE of c/c++ .It is already available for windows 7/8/8.1, Ubantu 11.10/12.04 and so on and it is also available for Mac OS X.

5 Borland c++

I think you know about it. It is the updated version of Turbo c++. You can perform c/c++ program here. It contains better debugger than Turbo c++ .If you like turbo c++ then you should select this best c/c++ IDE for c/c++ programming.

6. Dev c+

It is full featured c/c++ IDE .It uses GNU compiler. GNU compiler is mostly available for Linux.Dev c++ have more feature for c/c++ programming practice. IT is also one of the best c/c++ IDE

7. Microsoft Visual studio express

Last but famous c/c++ IDE. Yes its product of Microsoft. One can easily write c/c++ program there and compile at a time. You can also use debugger of it to understand..

This.

If you want a serious answer: Get the Visual Studio Build Tools, open the Command Prompt shortcut in VS's Start Menu folder (sets environment variables), then run 'cl program.c'.

Yeah, it's totally indeterminate as to which situations male them act up.
I work in parallel computing. I wanted a GPU with enough cuda cores to be reasonable unit tests in my work. U fortunately that meant putting up with garbage-tier driver support.

OS for literally any task. Server, desktop, mobile.

>need 3rd party software just to compile C
shit

>List of Top Best C/C++ IDE
>1. Code: Blocks
We're talking about compilers, not IDEs. C::B uses mingw as its compiler.

>It’s famous because it is easy to use.
It's famous because its free (as in free beer)

Gaming.

>his kernel doesn't write his software for him

Watching anime.