Facebook, Instagram go down around the world in an apparent outage

usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2019/03/13/facebook-instagram-go-down-across-united-states-apparent-outage/3151883002/

So much for 99.995% uptime

Attached: facebook.png (1088x841, 266K)

Other urls found in this thread:

timesofisrael.com/down-the-rabbi-hole/
usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2019/01/30/facebook-confirms-plans-merge-messenger-whatsapp-instagram-messages/2727200002/
wired.com/2004/02/pentagon-kills-lifelog-project/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What new NSA botnets are they installing onto the servers now??

you would think a company this big would have offsite backup servers, no?
not that it matters to me, but I'm just surprised a website this big and... relied upon by the masses would go down, ever.

>Facebook, Instagram go down around the world in an apparent outage
Good, please stay down forever.

This, it's like expecting google.com to go down.

Could someone please post the article, in which Zuckerberg states that they won't combine Facebook's, Instagram's and WhatsApp's data (after the hearing with the European Parliament)?

Attached: .jpg (374x180, 14K)

SWE at Facebook here (currently home since all internal tools are down and I can't do shit at work). Someone put out a revision that caused an infinite loop in a SQL query in a core part of the infra, which fucked many, many downstream services (and caused a bunch of servers to lock up along the way).

Usually these types of things are caught before they go out in the wild through a bunch of different fail-safe systems, but for some reason this change was not caught before it hit the main prod servers.

I wish you weren't on Jow Forums so we had a way to verify

>Jow Forumsentle-"privacy and freedom"-man working at Facebook

well at least we have an insider

Nothing of value lost.

There's a lot more FB employees who lurk Jow Forums than you think. :^)

The cool thing though about being an employee though is that, for issues like this, you can see the ENTIRE history about when the issue was discovered, why it happened, the steps people took to solve it, ETC (there's a really good global internal issue tracker)... There's very few things at FB that are on a "need to know" basis.

Aren't all of Facebook's deployments blue-green'd? Why can't you just switch back?

Any way to post that history? Sounds interesting

nice, sounds like something out of the Phoenix Project. Wonder if the Zucc himself does a wee lurk here now and then

I wish I worked at Facebook. Do you have a lot of leeway to develop and work on new projects if you think there's a business/use case for it?

who you think make all that "use (insert general botnet) it just werks" threads

Post total compensatiom or GTFO

>first i hear of it is on Jow Forums
Sasuga.

this

You have an incredible amount of autonomy at Facebook. Developers pretty much always initiate, maintain and lead projects, define goals, ETC.... As a SWE I rarely have people telling me what to do or brathing down my neck. Say what you want about FB as a company, but it's a great place to work as a SWE. However, you need to be EXTREMELY self-motivated to work as a dev there. You won't last long if you need someone to tell you what to do, because the expectation, even as a junior dev, is that you can lead on your own.

It's a little more complicated than that in this case. Usually for risky pushes there is a canary that's run to make sure that top line metrics aren't affected. But if the canary fails to catch the issue, then big fuckups like this can get out into the wild. This case is a bit more complicated though, since many services were all affected by the same bad push. The infra team can roll back, but that doesn't mean that you don't have stuck machines, unresponsive services, ETC...

>
Around 250k/year as an E4 (SWE level 2), 2 years out of college, but I'd rather not post my W2. My comp is pretty similar to people of my level.

Company laptops are black box devices that record everything you do, so leaking info is really dangerous. They tell you this day 1, and pretty much any tech company with a competent IT department will do the same.

Also other complicating factor. Facebook doesn't use the traditional model of doing daily/weekly/monthly pushes. Pushes are CONTINUOUS, meaning that code is basically landing all the time, 24 hours a day. Revisions get pushed in phases, but basically any change that you land gets pushed out into the wild within hours. This model actually solves a LOT of issues, but it can make fixing big fuckups not straightforward.

faceberg is basically dead by now, since only pajeets and 45+ boomers still use it
the rest moved to instagram

Micro$oft does the same at least for some of their services (including the """AI""" shit they deployed for several companies, including macy's). But I guess each team does it completely different. I didn't realize it was that unusual.

Makes sense, thanks for taking the time to share some insight.

Also completely unrelated but I've always wondered, how does everyone at Facebook view Zuck in light of all the constant memes? Does everyone genuinely respect him as a leader or does everyone mock him behind his back?

How is IG even the same as FB? Zoomers just want to post pictures now and thats it? FB let you do way more than that

> using facebook
> in 2019
my fucking sides. im glad irc still works. get fucked, everyone.
>Zoomers just want to post pictures now and thats it?
and videos and retard comments. it's facebook but difficulty set to retarded mode.

Facebook stopped being cool because everyone's parents started using it so teenagers moved to Instagram to attention whore instead

>but I'm just surprised a website this big and... relied upon by the masses would go down, ever.
smoke and mirrors. nobody really knows what goes on in their data centers. it's all secretive.
has happened before

Not who you asked but I also work at fb, it's surprising the difference between public opini9n and internal opinion about him, people here absolutely love him and respect a lot. Some memes about him are shared though

Attached: 1538548089601.png (626x667, 80K)

Lmao just use another service you idiot, arent you using twitter rn?

post PROOF faggot

>it's surprising the difference between public opini9n and internal opinion about him, people here absolutely love him and respect a lot
that's how a cult works

twitter users aren't that bright

>facebook is the only way I can contact my family
What a twat. Desperately trying to claim some form injury to play the victim.

Yeah I tought the same when I got in
Still waiting on getting my mind changed that he isn't a reptilian overlord wannabe

Millions of worthless sluts will have nothing but their conscious to reflect on all day resulting in the largest mass suicide in history.

Having worked as a software engineer in several major companies I'm genuinely surprised how whole world is not on fire right now. Every project is such a shitshow in one way or another.

What's the death toll at?

nah they're just storing up victimhood and rage to release when it finally comes back, they will be stronger than ever

The important question: will the retard responsible get fired?

>finally build up the courage to say "hey" to a girl on facebook
>facebook goes down

I didn't even notice it was down. What does that say about me?

Just get the souljah boy app

Attached: 512x512bb.jpg (512x512, 46K)

I can't load youtube video pages right now, anyone else being unable to access YT? Somehow related?

what does this mean for my shadow profile?

what the fuck do I care I only have FB so my grandma can say happy birthday to me

Youtube works just fine. Makes sense, youtube uses google CDN, facebook uses it's own (the one that is fucked up). I wonder why they can't just automatically redirect the traffic or better yet have a red big button of mass reset.

>doing IT shit [spoiler]so nothing[/spoiler]
>boss sends a message on Whatsapp
"does my phone still have data?"
>think it's really weird he asks me this through a medium that uses data but OK, here we go again...
>check and tell him it does have data
"are you sure? call them"
>wtf am i supposed to call "them" for? can't you realize you have data you fucking 25yo kid, god damn it you're not young or old enough to be doing this shit to me
>give up on attempting to reason with him
>look around and find out this shit is happening
he didn't want to tell me what was his exact problem no matter what (i can guess what kind of pics he wanted to send, so he would never tell me directly) and he often blames our cell company for whatever shit happens (or doesn't happen) in his fucking iPhone and always wants it solved instantly, and i just wish he'd say "i have this problem user, i was doing this or trying that and it doesn't work", but no, he's always "do we have internet? do i have data? why don't you call them?" for fucks sake kid you pay me to figure out this shit properly, give me a fucking minute

Forgot pic.

Attached: dont-panic-button.jpg (334x300, 27K)

Sadly, you are right.

give your boss data already you useless fuck

My shitty enterprise apps were never down for this long. I thought these were supposed to be advanced companies only hiring the best of the best?

no, he has plenty already
think about it, they also create the best of the best problems, so best that they went unnoticed

pajeet used the wrong join
please do the needful and wait sir

Cross join covers all bases.

>Youtube works just fine
For me some videos work normally and some can't even load the page past a blank white screen. I was experiencing some strange problems yesterday around the same time, too. Maybe it's just tinfoil, but some google servers being inaccessible (atleast from my connection) around the same time facebook and instagram are down sounds like a pretty big coincidence.

>Could someone please post the article, in which Zuckerberg states that they won't combine Facebook's, Instagram's and WhatsApp's data (after the hearing with the European Parliament)?
Oh shit. That's what this is about. It'll be a nice talking point for Congress as they move to break up the tech giants.

Whoops forgot that I commented on this thread. There's a really big split internally between people. There are for sure some people that treat him like he's a god, but the vast majority of people are of the mindset of "He's a good CEO, but I'm not too invested in him either way.". I personally respect Zuck, but I'm not afraid to voice my opinion on company decisions or the decisions that Zuck makes. The nice thing about working at Facebook is that we use Workplace, and you're pretty much able to express your opinion on anything that you want so long as you're not being a dick about it. For example, if somebody made an internal post along the lines of "we are going to start scanning everybody's messages to do targeted ads"(as much as you want to believe, Facebook doesn't actually do that), I would be fully within my right to comment "Hey that's kind of a scumbag thing to do".

I really, really wish external people could see the internal dialogues that happen. I think people would hate the company a lot less if they had the level of inside knowledge that a typical employee has.

Calm down. It's just a few of the mobile apps down, not the main services

Attached: Db84JGWUQAAV1Z5.jpg (942x529, 63K)

My parents want to know when this will be resolved. Does any Jow Forumsentlemen know when it will be back up and we all will be at peace again?

Funny that this guy isn't calling for the breakup of AWS as well.

tell 'em tomorrow
if it isn't solved by tomorrow move out of the country and never speak with them again

Kurt Kike'N'Bald thinks it's something larger going on

Attached: Screenshot_20190314_000349.jpg (1080x2197, 434K)

please be best Korea fucking with the US

ITS BACK UP

He's just worried his favorite hentai sites are going to take a hit

Two of my favorite hentai sites got taken down, I wouldn't say his worries are unjustified

this shit is still down. the one time I actually need to use zionbook and it's down.

Now you're starting to worry me.

Shit dude honestly I couldn't bear working with those kind of people

What a fucking pussie faggot.

Sms also broke yesterday nationwide. Also windows update yesterday (tho that's normal). Update Google Chrome now posts!

You guys ready for the new government backdoor overhaul since the Intel "flaw" got found?

Why is this shithole still up?

what are you guys doing with my data
how much of my data do you have

WhatsApp is kinda broken too, you can't send files.

Oy vey, the goyim is at it again.
timesofisrael.com/down-the-rabbi-hole/

>Down the rabbi hole
lmao

Dinesh is being airlifted back to New Delhi as we speak

fite me, sir

REFER ME FAGGOT

underrated post

And I just wanted to post a slutty selfie on insta. Now what am I going to do :(

Dinesh pls do the needful and unfuck facebook, my Mom is beating me because she can’t play candy crush

Instagram works

Attached: 0B1E7E98-F388-4336-9BFE-6BDD18E5DF66.jpg (1125x1556, 1.03M)

I've been experiencing really slow downloads and browsing since Tuesday but YouTube and torrent download/upload are just fine. Weird.

> my Mom
show pic or get out, sir

Attached: gift.jpg (3908x2242, 1.91M)

Do you work in the Bay or Seattle?

this guy approaches you and tells you that you have to 'smoke these meats'.
how do you respond?

Attached: zuck.jpg (400x400, 21K)

Look at that hairline. I'm gonna feel really old once he goes bald.

This post had me cracking up for some reason, thanks for the laughs user

thanks, I thought it was pretty funny too.

>will the retard responsible get fired
if it was actually one person responsible for taking down all fb properties for such an extended period of time, its an absolutely certain yes.

he's probably in his resignation interview as we speak

unless of course the he is a she, in which case she'll probably get a promotion for her 'be bold' attitude to changes.

usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2019/01/30/facebook-confirms-plans-merge-messenger-whatsapp-instagram-messages/2727200002/

DARPA kills LifeLog project at the same time Facebook goes online. Read on. Sound familiar? What's happening today has nothing to do with a software error. Something far bigger. Intentional.

wired.com/2004/02/pentagon-kills-lifelog-project/

"THE PENTAGON CANCELED its so-called LifeLog project, an ambitious effort to build a database tracking a person's entire existence.

Run by Darpa, the Defense Department's research arm, LifeLog aimed to gather in a single place just about everything an individual says, sees or does: the phone calls made, the TV shows watched, the magazines read, the plane tickets bought, the e-mail sent and received. Out of this seemingly endless ocean of information, computer scientists would plot distinctive routes in the data, mapping relationships, memories, events and experiences."

Attached: 1541029947018.jpg (631x631, 65K)

post don't get rated here

Website was down for about an hour

Yes. Brisket and ribs need to be eaten.
I also eat meat.

>DARPA kills LifeLog project at the same time Facebook goes online. Read on. Sound familiar? What's happening today has nothing to do with a software error. Something far bigger. Intentional.
>
>wired.com/2004/02/pentagon-kills-lifelog-project/
>
>"THE PENTAGON CANCELED its so-called LifeLog project, an ambitious effort to build a database tracking a person's entire existence.
>
>Run by Darpa, the Defense Department's research arm, LifeLog aimed to gather in a single place just about everything an individual says, sees or does: the phone calls made, the TV shows watched, the magazines read, the plane tickets bought, the e-mail sent and received. Out of this seemingly endless ocean of information, computer scientists would plot distinctive routes in the data, mapping relationships, memories, events and experiences."

Attached: 1549950653397.png (1280x720, 798K)