Jow Forums's thoughts on the concept of an M.2 form factor GPU

Jow Forums's thoughts on the concept of an M.2 form factor GPU

anandtech.com/show/13677/innodisk-launches-m2-graphics-card-with-4k-output

Attached: M.2_2280_GPU.jpg (600x200, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ebnLkKhgP9k
youtube.com/watch?v=KNxFWFuaaRY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Imagine the whine from such tiny fans

There are actually fans that small, if not smaller.
youtube.com/watch?v=ebnLkKhgP9k

they should miniaturize connectors rather than this shit,
PCI
CPU sockets
SATA
DIMM

All to big, if they make them much smaller you probably could get a 10% smaller motherboard
Also it could impact the whole design of motherboards and make it much easier to route all those connectors to the point that you may end up without having to abuse multilayer pcbs.

you're a small guy

would create too much market fragmentation for manufacturers to bother implementing

Yes, there are, but the smaller the fan, the faster it has to run to keep a thing cool and the more noise it makes per amount of air moved. Smaller fans also make more obnoxious high pitched whines.

Compare the jet engine roar from a server with a bank of 40 mm fans to the quiet purr of a desktop pulling more total air through with a line of 200 mm fans.

potentially a neat idea for HTPCs, but they need to ditch the fans if that's their market

Fans that small would sound fucking horrible

>would create too much market fragmentation for manufacturers to bother implementing
lets go one step further and banish all those I/O connections at the back and replace them with the new connector and let the end user chose witch ports he needs.

Let me guess, something on par with this...
youtube.com/watch?v=KNxFWFuaaRY

That's a fake image you bojos. The real thing is using a smart phone gpu ie. doesn't even require a heat sink much less fans.

Yes, and it would be pretty underpowered to match. Why even have an M.2 GPU at this point, when a Ryzen APU's integrated graphics would BTFO it in every way?

Thanks captain obvious

apparently not that obvious judging by the comments

>That's a fake image you bojos
Say for the sake of argument, that the design was real.

Attached: consider_the_following2.gif (416x320, 1.78M)

FOR YOU

Wouldn't a Desktop M.2 GPU be cost prohibitive?

>PCI
Already exists
>CPU sockets
Already very dense, it's tough to make those smaller
>DIMM
SO-DIMM already exists

It would be a quite shitty GPU.

very easy to make it smaller, however the problem is if you make it smaller, you are now talking about solder balls and non user serviceable hardware.

to miniature rise pci, they would have to make a new standard, which would fuck any chance of it being adopted, there are some standards that are trying to replace pcie, but they are future shit.

dimm could be done, but it would be iffy if it can be done and be compatible with current ram
sata is already as small as you would like it to get, going any smaller increases the cost of cables and smaller fault tolerances so it's easier to short hardware.

you dont have to have these fans spin fast, they just need to cycle stagnent air.

------------

an m.2 gpu would be for one thing only, video playback/display output upgrades.
a new hardware codec allows you to watch videos without slow down, m.2 gpu to the rescue.

you want to gpu pass though but you have a workstation / non apu cpu, m.2 gpu has your back.

These things would be VERY low power, no extra pins required, and it would barely heat up, so a fan for stagnant air is all it would need. if even that.

gonna put one in my lappy brb

Never gonna happen until they figure out a way to solve the heat generation problem that all pc components have faced since the 90's. Sure we can make graphics cards and cpus that are a thousand magnitudes more powerful than what you could get in the 20th century but the way tech progression is heading now the 200mm fans will become the new 120mm standard fans. Need to come up with either alternate heat dissipation solutions or make components that naturally run cooler for equal/better performance.

There is already m.2 4x pcie slot adaptors that you can run a midrange GPU on with only like 10% less performance midrange being a 1060

4K30 is pretty useless IMO. Looks like shit to work on, and 24fps content doesn't scale well on it for signage or theater.

Perfect for watching 4k video though.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>CPU sockets
How are we supposed to make it any more dense than pic related?

Attached: CPU (9)_575px.jpg (678x508, 84K)

if you go small enough you can keep the fucking underages away

techlet here. is there a reason they can't dont just make a normal-sized GPU and have a small connector attach through the m.2 slot? m.2 should be faster than the usual pcie interface, right?

Imagine your 10W GPU overheating because they can't move enough air.

m.2 is just the socket, it is effectivelly same as pcie, most modern mobos and laptops will have m.2 run at pcie 3.0 x4 speed which is plenty for a gpu

thanks, bruv

M.2 = PCIe 3.0 x4. A regular GPU is connected via PCIe 3.0 x16, so it actually has 4 times the bandwidth. Also M.2 slots cannot provide as many Watts of power as regular PCIe slots which makes them unsuitable for connecting a graphics card.

However, there are adapters that take the data lines of an M.2 and feed them into a full PCIe slot on an extra PCB that has some additional power delivery stuff soldered on, which allows one to connect a graphics card (or other high wattage PCIe devices) to the M.2 slot.

Whats with the obsesion with making everything smaller? You all live in a fucking carboards, so few extra cubic centimeters are such a big problem? Serious question

Holy fucking pajeet what are you even trying to say. Go back to your own country and get off my basketweaving forum

Why?

Looks like this would run off its own 8pin power connector.

It'd be cray to be able to put a little vega chip on an old little memepad to improve over intelhd graphics

Attached: yarathinkpad.jpg (3377x3223, 2.9M)

Yes, i can see you have trouble understanding simple words. Since thats the case i see no point in continuing this exchange.

>"You all live in a fucking carboards"
Yes, I'm the one with the english language problem. Go home pls

No need to prove my point over and over again. Once is enough user. Also, my english is far from perfect, true. But a: its not relevant in this case, b: its my 3rd language (and i know 4). You know any other than english burger fucker? Dont bother answering, i have a pretty good idea.

Its quite relevant in this case, you didnt communicate your idea correctly which is the entire point of posting. Also, i am multi-lingual, which is neither the point and an attempt at ad hominem on your part, once again diverting from the initial issue of your post making no sense. Additionally, I am not American, and the fact that you're so mad clearly indicates that i guessed your sand-nigger heritage correctly.
Now finally before i go do things not involving beating/raping my wife, I ask you to reread your post, and become more proficient in English before posting here again, as you're just making yourself look retarded. Good day, sand-nigger.

those connections are pretty big user, also they are just using the bottom layer of the pcb, you could put like 250 connections on the lateral. also the socket has to much plastic

Such COPE, I'm willing to bet you use this plug type.

Attached: 1532470628947.jpg (500x509, 27K)