Give me ONE reason why CS requires so much fucking math? I mean, we all know the obvious answer...

Give me ONE reason why CS requires so much fucking math? I mean, we all know the obvious answer, which is to "weed out" people, so why bother pretending it's any other reason? You don't NEED to know Calc 2, diff equations or any of that bullshit. I really wish people would stop asking like you have to be a fucking math wiz for programming when you clearly do not. It just re-enforces the belief that college is fill of fuller courses and is generally a waste of time.

Attached: 1538610240862.jpg (362x314, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2GwzlT2M59A
advising.engr.psu.edu/degree-requirements/general-education.aspx
sasundergrad.rutgers.edu/degree-requirements/core
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's fucking bullshit. I just want to work on compilers I have no need for fucking calculus and linear algebra.

>t. brainlets

its not that much math all you need to know is how to write 7 upside donwn

I'm not a brainlet. I got a A+ in all the math requirements. They are just a waste of time. A way for colleges to extract more shekels from their customers.

t. Never heard of computational methods

Then explain to me how it's not a waste of time
t. Never heard of double majors
If you're not double majoring in math you shouldn't have to take all these ridiculous math courses. And what makes it worse is some professors try to jam a shit ton of material into ONE course or they purposely make it way harder than it needs to be. Calc 1-2 are perfect examples of this.

>he pays for his college
lmao at your pathetic life

>his first job after graduating from college pays less than 100k

Ok, what do you want to develop in CS? It better not be computer vision or any kind of simulation work, because clearly you would hate your job if that was the case.
And taking a double major is a massive time and money investment. I'm studying aerospace engineering and computational methods was still required. To everyone else that and the introduction CS course was "stuff they didn't need". Then when I got to my fluids class it turned out that no one wants to compute that shit by hand.
If you want to write efficient code, how will you be able to if you don't understand the math behind the tricks you would need to incorporate?

Have you considered that Computer Science is a wide field and not everyone wants to do the exact same thing you want to do?

So are mathematics, thus i'm asking what can be developed without a mathematical foundation. Linear algebra comes to mind specifically.

Attached: u0b6agtyx5401.jpg (488x463, 22K)

Exactly, all you really need is discrete math and you're all set

>Give me ONE reason why CS requires so much fucking math?

Dunno, why does medicine require so much biology?

Compilers, operating systems, distributed systems, networking. Literally anything but graphics and AI.

>Compilers
Lexical analysis requires type theory

>operating systems
Matrix operations, binary/hex arithmetic (calculating/translating memory sectors/addresses and such), operating systems are glorified databases that store processes

>networking
Graph theory. Unless you mean like Cisco CCNA and shit, which isn't CS but IT.

>distributed systems
Graph theory again

>Literally anything but graphics and AI.
The research done on AI in the 50s and 60s is deeply ingrained in every logical aspect of modern programming.

I might be reading this wrong but a huge part of computer graphics uses linear algebra. Vectors, matrixes, coordinate conversion, projection, etc.

Ok, but where is linear algebra?

Notice not one of these things requires calculus

imagine having gen ed requirements full of "Diversity 101" "Diversity 102" "Intersectional Tennis 111" and complaining about calc 2. Yes, if of all the classes you are forced to take it college the one that bothers you calc 2 you are either trans or a brainlet

It's hard to imagine being annoyed with more than one thing at once to you?

>imagine having gen ed requirements full of "Diversity 101" "Diversity 102" "Intersectional Tennis 111"
>t. hasnt attended university

Attached: 1552243255247.png (960x960, 331K)

Ok, 4channel. Up until this point i followed every single meme and advice you have given me, I dont see why I should stop now !
Im doing BA CS in a pretty good University.
Its time for me to pick my major, I have a choice between :
-Cybersecurity
-Data Science
-Software Design/Development
(and some other meme majors that I dont even want to mention)
Im personally leaning more towards Data Science since I heard thats where the money is, and it seems like a brainlet filter.

Attached: 1551986674245.jpg (820x897, 183K)

It's applied math. Fuck off brainlet.

>A way for colleges to extract more shekels from their customers.
There's your answer.

youtube.com/watch?v=2GwzlT2M59A
make the data lit

cybersecurity is based and you can be hackerman.
it's applied logic. CS majors should have to take philosophy classes instead. fuck off brainlet.

Attached: lunduke.jpg (1200x675, 109K)

I graduate in May. Are you telling me that those types of courses are not actual requirements?

dumb frogposter

no. ive never taken a "gender for retards" class and never will have to. if your uni requires it you go to a fag school.

Yeah read anything on ML without knowing calc and statistics OP. The only thing you'd be able to waive math for is web shop shit, which belongs in bootcamps, not academia.

>ML
Is that way it's such a meme? Because it's been infected with mathfags and not actual programmers?

All the top schools require that. If you haven't taken a diversity centric class your school's CS program sucks

People like you are the reason why a fucking text editor hogs 3GB of RAM and runs in a fucking webbrowser. Kill yourself.

my school is top 25 in the country for CS and i can choose my own gen. eds. because im not treated like a hair-dying toddler.

Granted I'm only 3rd year, but I never once had to take a "diversity class", whatever the fuck that is. The only gen Ed I had to do was English and history. But let me guess, you're one of those people who thinks anything that isn't aligned with your retarded views is "leftist propaganda" and minorities and women don't belong in stem right?

To weed off losers like you.

post your gen ed requirements

The absolute state of Americucks and their onions universities.

>anything that isn't aligned with your retarded views is "leftist propaganda" and minorities and women don't belong in stem right?
I didn't say that. But anything promoting leftist propaganda and minorities and women should not be in schools.

>advising.engr.psu.edu/degree-requirements/general-education.aspx
now i want to see your cuckquirements.

>But anything promoting leftist propaganda and minorities and women should not be in schools
The vast majority of schools don't do this though. You're just making up bullshit to justify being a racist turd.

This
hoenstly it would do you good to take some of it seriously, people like you are stuck in the past

Is there a way to teach match in a way that people don't think it is absolutely useless beyond arithmetics and basic algebra?

>cultural requirements
>integrative studies
That sounds pretty subversive. What is it? Your school might just hide their intentions better than most. My school recently changed some of the names for the same requirements under pressure from student activists. They used to try to disguise it too

>now i want to see your cuckquirements.
sasundergrad.rutgers.edu/degree-requirements/core

>Diversities and Social Inequalities [CCD] (3 credits)

>Our Common Future [CCO] (3 credits)

Not to mention ALL of the requirements sneak some of that anti european pro minority bs into the courseload. It's intentional.

>degree in applied math
>need to take math above algebra
Wow, who saw that coming? I hope it doesn't surprise you that programming can fill a void of varying niches, some of which rely heavily on math. 3D, data analysis, machine learning, algorithms, etc. are all reasons why you need so much fucking math. Suck it up or change majors.

The problem probably comes from lower education levels, so its pointless to try and solve it higher up

The problem starts much earlier than that. It starts when teachers first kill any and all curiosity in kids. And most Maths professors being savant austists that can't teach maths to save their life there is nothing you can do if you don't overhaul the entire system from the ground up.

CS+Math major

Yes, applied mathematics is ass for CS. However, do yourself the favor of taking sets and logic, discrete structures, etc. Higher level mathematics is the basis of nearly everything you do in CS, and having a solid understanding of logic (I.E proofs, set theory, etc) with significantly boost your abilities (and salary) in the CS field.

>Integrative Studies can be completed by taking LINKED courses or INTERDOMAIN courses. A student must take either 6 credits of Linked or 6 credits of Interdomain, students may not take a combination of both types. Interdomain courses will count in multiple domain areas. Completing this requirement should be done in consultation with an Academic Adviser.
>cultural requirements
as in my ancient egyptain civ. class, where the TA would practically give us the answers the study session before the test. was taught by donald redford, a pretty prominent egyptoligst, who didnt care about teaching or testing for understanding, much less imposing his political agenda.

>ancient egyptain civ. class
Did he tell you the egyptians were black?

no wewuzzing.

Did he say they weren't black?

Pretty much this, and you throw in the fact that a lot of them don't even have math degrees in the first place, are underpaid and view teaching strictly as a job and nothing more, and the whole thing is a disaster

i dont think he brought up that obscure claim. i believe he differentiated between various racial group but i didnt learn much from that class.

Computer graphics. Points in a 3D model can be represented and manipulated through matrices.

Attached: 1520199895052.jpg (218x240, 39K)

When you have teachers literally say shit like "if you haven't understood that by now I don't want to help you" in a class of 40 kids are there seriously people who wonder why maths is hated the world over? And yes that was word for word said to me before.

Common image transformations (AKA "filters" to the uncultured, unwashed masses) are also implemented as matrices.

I never took calculus, but did take algebra and statistics.

Attached: CHAOS IS A LADDER.gif (265x200, 1.96M)

Whole Machine learning,Graph theory, numerics methods or optimization theories

>cryptography
>analysis of algorithms
>any counting problem ever
>functional programming
>graphical processing
>statistical analysis

stop being a retarded poojeet nigger that gets shit on by stupid 2nd year math classes

Brainlet here, this is the reason I didn't go CS in college even though I love computers, I'll try and pick up programming at home sometime but really I am more interested in the hardware side of things, watch a lot of Louis Rossman lately he actually makes great vids on motherboard repair, shame he only works on macs

>That sounds pretty subversive.
oh you have no fucking idea. i did an engineering degree at a major state college and there were 2 jewish-subversion class requirements that all majors had to complete. a"diversity" requirement and a "sociology/culture" requirement. tl;dr of the 2 classes i took:

>technology and society:
technology is racist and sexist because white men developed a lot of technology. this is self-contradicted with teachings on how white men didn't contribute all that much to technology. also computers are racist and sexist because minorities and women are found to have fewer computer skills and are employed less in tech fields.

>diversity and culture:
white society is racist because it's structured to benefit traits found in white men. also, there are no innate differences between human races--everyone is born in tabla rasa. but white men succeed in western societies because white men created institutions that are geared toward rewarding behaviors and thinking of white men, but there is no difference between white men and men/women of other races.

you have no idea how self-contradictory and doublethink those classes were. it's worse than you can possibly imagine.

yuri was fucking right.

It's possible to dodge all the gay gen eds if you pick boring ones, like speech disabilities.

Hardware is even more math heavy on average, build circuits,signal analysis, analysis circuits usually calculus, complex variable, fourier analysis and lineal algebra.

Anant Agarwal and Jeffrey Lang (2005). Foundations of Analog and Digital Electronic Circuits

im not American but I'm part of the Iron curtain, how does the CIA/FBI allow this to go down? They are literally destroying your society with propaganda, 50 years ago notions like that wouldn't be expressed let alone encouraged in white America, today they are? sad for you guys

>diversity and culture
i want to add another contradiction this class pumped into the empty heads of young students: diversity is defined solely off of the basis of race and sex, but for the next module we learn that race doesn't exist. some leftard brought up that gender/sex is a social construct, and the instructor agreed but it hasn't been included in the newest edition of the textbook yet ($150+) so students weren't expected to include those "arguments," to receive an A, but we were welcome to include them if we so chose.

i am not embellishing or exaggerating in the slightest.

the CIA/FBI are subverted too, i'm sure. anyway, they don't have control over the media (TV, """"""""news"""""""", movies, etc). take a gander at pic related. we've been thoroughly fucked beyond repair.

Attached: 1534008660429.png (559x558, 173K)

haha just don't go to school in commiefornia

this wasn't in commiefornia.

Louis is apparently self taught yet he runs a successful repair business, do you really need to know how to build a circuit board to test out faulty components/pathways and patch them up? I really should read up on it sometime

There are several reasons:

Computer vision
Computer graphics (vidya)
Machine learning
Any kind of simulation

>It better not be computer vision or any kind of simulation work
lmao user, not everybody cares about these 2 very specific fields
yes EXACTLY 99% of shit does not require linear algebra or calculus
>Lexical analysis requires type theory
also i think u mean semantic analysis and even then it totally doesn't require type theory unless ur doing very specific shit
i hate how every retard who does "AI" believes that it's synonymous with CS and that everyone who does CS should know ML shit
yes and literally all of these are niche things that not every CS major has an interest in. i think the only popular one there is ML and that's just because it's the current trend.

>>tfw had to take "Black Psychology"
>>literally taught that black people are secretly superior because they have more melanin in their skin
>>almost failed the class because it was so bad

Attached: 22.jpg (1024x839, 123K)

is this you, OP?

Attached: 1525971775804.png (602x1137, 473K)

Because it's the area of CS making the most breakthroughs these days? Remember academia is about research, not about fucking professions.

i'm the user you replied to. for the "diversity and culture" class that i took i didn't do any of the readings whatsoever. i've been on this site for a long time, and have been frequenting Jow Forums basically since it began (don't start derailing and shitting on Jow Forums, anons, i'm not looking to argue here). i basically just wrote the essays and answered the short-answer questions based on lefty/sjw shit i've been laughing at for years, which i'm quite familiar with since i've been researching counterpoints to their "arguments." i got an A but i felt really dirty about getting it.

This book.
Usually Electronic engineers learn circuits on first electronics course.

Important part learn to read specifications (volts, amps,ohms,watts) and learn to read instruments.

Attached: 01.jpg (1940x1456, 344K)

lmao roastie got fizzbuzzed

lmao what are the breakthroughs in machine learning? you do realize that 99% of ML papers are either replicating results or just "hey look if i train a NN on X it kinda works." also a lot of those papers are complete garbage because they just overfit models to get the results they want. there's been a handful of actual breakthroughs in that field over the past 10 years and everything else is just repetitive crap because ML happens to be in style right now

even then, why would you suddenly equate CS with ML? CS has plenty of interesting shit that has absolutely nothing to do with ML. there is no reason to define a CS major to be an ML major especially when most ML research isn't very heavy on the CS side of things (a huge majority of the work is stats, linear algebra, etc. instead of actual algorithms)

Do gradient descent, hard mode no calc, this stands for most compression algos as well

Because otherwise nobody would take math classes. The simple fact of the matter is that when you run into math problems when working in CS, you just can google how to solve them and move on. What's interesting about CS is not math, it's the logical models and data flows and system architectures that you can develop to maximize both user and program efficiency.

git gud asshole

fukken saged

Just because you're a brainlet that doesn't mean that the people who want to write useful code should have to pay more money for their degree.

> actual programmers
LUL

Basically every subfield of CS requires some kind of mathematics. Granted, they all use different branches of mathematics (i.e. number theory for cryptography, linear algebra for machine learning, etc...), but if you suck at math, you're probably not going to do well in CS. Even if Calculus isn't often used in CS, it's easy enough that it serves as an excellent filter for stupid people.

If nothing else, it's worth noting that each and every single CS major MUST take an algorithms class, and if you can't even get calculus, you're not going to do horribly in those classes, particularly when it comes to computing time complexity on recurrences using the master theorem.

It's up to you to make the most of your college degree. If you didn't want math then you should have done a CS minor, and majored in something that could really use more programmers. Then you would be able to get a job programming somewhere that needs expertise in something that's outside the "normal" understanding of a CS student. For example, imagine how badly a company like Ableton would want you if you had decided you wanted to major in music composition and gotten a minor in CS. Who would be better to help design their UI?

like this?
[0 1 0]
[1 0 1]
triforce! xD

or even
[000000 FFFFFF 000000]
[FFFFFF 000000 FFFFFF]

im good at critical thinking and can easily write code. But not good at math because i dont practice. Does that make me a bad programmer? NYET.

gate keeping

But I said I wanted to study compilers, not computer graphics. Why should I be requieed to waste 3 semesters on calculus and linear algebra?

Compilers require a gigantic fuckton of algorithms you fucking brainlet. Stick to webdev.

>dumb frogposter
>literally dumb
Why am I not surprised?

Don't major in cybersecurity. That's a specialization and should be reserved for a Masters program if your school isn't trying to rip you.

algorithms not math

And where is calculus and linear algebra involved in algorithms?

retarded seethfag

Because we use math for everything worthwhile.
If you want to make useless websites, you don't need a CS degree.
Even if you end up slapping SO solutions on top of each other in the end, they at least tried to teach you something.

If you pursue a CS degree with the intention of becoming a lowly programmer, you should honestly be removed from the gene pool. It's no wonder that degrees have become useless when they're filled with brainlets like OP. Programming is a trade, so go to fucking trade school for it. CS is supposed to be a scientific field, and as such should require a level of mathematical aptitude which is beyond that of ordinary people.

>Programming is a trade, so go to fucking trade school for it. CS is supposed to be a scientific field, and as such should require a level of mathematical aptitude which is beyond that of ordinary people.

Attached: 1513007204881.png (866x900, 95K)