Gnome Appreciation Thread

>that feeling when you will never use the most beautiful and well polished desktop environment for Linux because its usability is still dogshit

Attached: fractional-scaling-940x529.png (940x529, 320K)

Works on my machine.

Attached: worksonmymachine.png (1920x1080, 151K)

Do you do actual work with Gnome? I can't be productive without extensions that make major changes to its functionality. I might as well use Cinnamon.

I enjoy the Fedora implementation of Gnome but Id prefer MATE

You only need extensions if you are fighting the workflow. GNOME probably isnt for you, its very opinionated.

>not running minimal programs that suck less

Attached: desktop.png (1920x1080, 2.05M)

You can have a both functional AND beautiful desktop with KDE.

Fuck off autistwannabe. You run a bloated UNIX knockoff and Xorg but STILL claim to be minimal. Actual autists use a Plan 9 derivative. You're just a phony pretender.

>Plan 9 derivative
What is the best, most functional Plan 9 setup?

this terminal eye cancer is better than GNOME

9front but i don't think its actually usable

Arch GNOME user here. Pretty much what said.

KDE has a lot of design decisions I don't like which can't be fixed with themes. I'll wait a decade for KDE 6 to try it again.

> Gnome
> >that feeling when you will never use the most beautiful and well polished desktop environment for Linux because its usability is still dogshit
Self-irony is good.

Ho ho ho ha ha, ho ho ho he ha. 'Ello, my old chum. I’m gnot an gnelf. I’m gnot a goblin. I’m a gnome. And you’ve been, GNOMED!!!

Attached: gnomed start.jpg (1024x956, 81K)

The size of those title bars lmao

you know a titlebar + menubar combination would make it even thicker, right?

>suck less
How are neofetch, systemd and dwm suckless? Also, shit bladerunner wannabe colorscheme from someone who hasn't even seen the movie.

OpenBSD with plan9port. I couldn't get 9front to work.

>Gnome
>beautiful DE like KDE
Pike one

I use Gnome because I litteraly can't find another desktop that has as good a workflow as Gnome, or is anywhere near as polished, KDE just makes me want to kill myself and everything else is minimal and light, Deepin Desktop is alright but it's fucking chinkware and runs like shit on Arch

I don't understand. How do you see the workflow as an advantage? Mouse users are better off with a DE with an application panel like in Cinnamon. Keyboard users can get shortcuts just as good with Cinnamon or better ones in tiling WMs.

I don't understand what the problem is with KDE other than the ugly themes.

Not him, but I understand the viewpoint that KDE is too ugly to use. I have severe autism and the paper cuts alone make using KDE really painful after having seen something as clean and consistent as Gnome. I fucking hate Gnome's workflow so the compromise for me is Cinnamon which is more consistent than KDE and more usable than Gnome.

You can literally get the same workflow as Gnome or even better on KDE

Have you tried xfce?

What the fuck
Did they finally added scale modes other than 2X?
Thank God

Yes. Gnome just released a new version with a new theme and scaling and shit.

>Linux 5.0
so that's a thing now huh

Basically this new version fixes GNOME, the default theme now looks alright, the scaling is now the best on the Linux market and the animations now maintain a more consistent FPS making the desktop seem "smooth"

That's nice to know
I had to go the KDE neon route when I bought a 4k display because gnome scaling was atrocious, and limited to 2X

Still, kde offers any percentage, and not fixed values

KDE is one of those desktops I really want to use because it looks great, performs great and has a lot of modern features as well as being quite powerful, but when I start to actually use it it's unusable to me

Kde neon is a fantastic experience, 2bh
t. Gnome 2.4 fag

>fractional scaling
fucking finally holy shit
I might actually check it out now

I wish it was because I want to like it

Gnome looks so good now but I can't stand using it. Feels bad.

I know this feeling. A huge chunk of it has to do with retarded defaults and poorly designed config screens tho

>lags when you open the app menu unless you use a dedicated GPU
It's trash. It takes less resources to run an average pre-2010 videogame than (((GNOME))). If I wanted to use a laggy DE made in JavaScript I'd use FirefoxOS or ChromeOS..

I feel the opposite, KDE looks great but feels like shit to use
Probably, but it also feels like shit to get it configured and I can't get it how I like it, with GNOME it's super easy to do that

It's not actually very polished. The software that's bundled with it is bad. GTK is pretty bad at this point as well.

That being said It's probably the best DE in linux space right now. It feels complete and relatively polished when compared to other DEs like cinnamon and KDE. If only KDE would make FUCKING SANE DEFAULT FUKKKKKK

>It's not actually very polished. The software that's bundled with it is bad. GTK is pretty bad at this point as well.
Please expand on this. I don't see the issues.

fuck off normal fag

gnome is comfy the browser file picker is cancer though

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-10 17-05-52.png (1920x1080, 2.83M)

Is this seriously your laptop? eww

nani?

As the very least put that squared icon in the middle

3.32 is absolutely based. I reckon most people just hate on gnome while mever trying it

will do doesn't really bother me though kek

It's the only desktop with a will integrated calendar and email client. The korganizer sucks eggs.

I said the same about KDE4, waited™and got into KDE 5.1x which has been great so far.

Best UX but worst performance.

Just disable animations bro.

Super+(Shift)+Page Up/Down to move window to workspace up down, if it doesn't exist it is created.
Super+Up/Down to maximize/minimize windows
Super Left/Right to tile
Super + Right/Left Click to resize/move window

What else do you need snowflake? This DE is meant to get work done.
Onions.

>Not setting Super + Q for left tile, Super + E for right til and Super + W for maximize.
unbased.

>Page Up/Down
>Left/Right
>Right/Left Click
>get work done
What did he mean by this?

I prefer having all my applications always maximized each with their own desktop.

>Super+Up/Down to maximize/minimize windows
>Super Left/Right to tile
that's how it works by default in Windows, let alone KDE, but good job I guess
>Super + Right/Left Click to resize/move window
exactly the same in KDE, except for Alt instead of Super, but you can configure it to Super
>Super+(Shift)+Page Up/Down to move window to workspace up down, if it doesn't exist it is created.
Can't remember if KDE had this by default or not, but I can move windows to workspaces with Menu + Ctrl + Arrow keys.

jokes on you I actually set it like vi

So Gnome is worse than a tiling window manager for keyboard users and absolute garbage for mouse users. Why do people still shill this shit DE?

I don't like GNOME as DE, but I appreciate some of their programs.

Attached: 400px-GNOME_Web_logo.png (400x400, 92K)

Are you all still running a server OS on your personal computers?

Gnome isn't for anyone with IQ over 50.

Well, it's either that or consoleOS.

You're still letting panjeet watch you on webcam? Lmao at your life microshill.

I agree. I still use Plasma because Gnome looks shut comparably. Plasma can round all corners of context menus and non supporting applications (Gnome can only round top and only of native GTK applications) and also there is no blur.