Untitled

Attached: proprietary.png (800x600, 18K)

Proprietary software, also called nonfree software, means software that doesn't respect users' freedom and community. A proprietary program puts its developer or owner in a position of power over its users. This power is in itself an injustice.

The initial injustice of proprietary software often leads to further injustices: malicious functionalities.

Power corrupts; the proprietary program's developer is tempted to design the program to mistreat its users. (Software whose functioning mistreats the user is called malware.) Of course, the developer usually does not do this out of malice, but rather to profit more at the users' expense. That does not make it any less nasty or more legitimate.

Yielding to that temptation has become ever more frequent; nowadays it is standard practice. Modern proprietary software is typically a way to be had.

Users of proprietary software are defenseless against these forms of mistreatment. The way to avoid them is by insisting on free (freedom-respecting) software. Since free software is controlled by its users, they have a pretty good defense against malicious software functionality.

Attached: 1551088801395.png (1920x1080, 669K)

checked and /thread

Based GNU/Trips

Trips confirm. /thread

Attached: 1cb603e1a4f34a24aa7d0a9d7be4f3e6.png (1070x2048, 659K)

autism

cope

cope

If the users control the program, why can't they stop SystemD from proliferating?

Based first post.

You're free to make an alternative and convince everybody to switch to it. That's real freedom for you

because most non autists find it useful
i use void btw

If everyone is free to make an alternative, then proprietary programs have no power over the users. If they so wish to protect themselves, just write their own software.

Rent free

OP BTFO how will he ever recover

Attached: 76439799hfahe.jpg (300x300, 11K)

>Hey, big company, remember that expensive lab equipment you sold us back in the 90s for a shitload of money?
>Yeah
>It still works fine, but we're really getting tired of hooking it up to that Win98SE machine, could you please update your software?
>No
>... OK. Could you please give us the source code so we can do it ourselves?
>No
>... OK, could you supply us with the necessary documentation to write our own software from scratch?
>No

Copyright is a bitch.

Nobody actually thinks that, it's literally memes like pic related. Of course there are some actual useful idiots that unironically think capitalism is bad but we just laugh at their expense.

Attached: rms.jpg (610x400, 47K)

This is why piracy exists.

Attached: c2af1815.jpg (654x410, 130K)

>update
>give
>supply
All without mention any compensation.

They wouldn't even do it with compensation. They want to sell the next generation.

That's how it works and you know it.

I love how GNU+Lincucks needs to justify itself by accusing proprietary software of being inherently evil
>Nonfree = Doesn't respect freedom and community
My MS Office 365 doesn't turn on my webcam and upload my HDD content to www.NSA.com, my webcam comes with a light to tell me when it's turned on- this is true even with the recording software I paid money for.
>Malicious functionalities
It's called bugs you dipshits. They come from that thing you fear so much: Software bloat. Many propriatary programs are composed of smaller individually composed elements that allow them to run. This leads to errors. THE DATA BEING COLLECTED FROM THIS IS ERROR DATA TO IMPROVE THE PROGRAM YOU PAID MONEY FOR. It's the BENEFIT of data collection that you freetards fucking ignore. Hurr Durr dey look at muh history teh corpureshuns EEEEEVVVVVIIIIIILLLLLLLLL
>Defenseless against this mistreatment.
Delete the logs and work offline, and while you're at it go live in a fucking bunker if you are so god damn scared of companies making professional products.

Freetards actually BTFO. Get a fucking job, so you can afford to buy windows, buy photoshop, buy movie studio, use Notepad++ for coding and if you want to bitch about (((THEM))) stealing your fucking data logs to improve software; then go to fucking Jow Forums

>hey big company, give us all your hard work for free

are you merely pretrending or actually retarded?

>hey big company, give us all your hard work for free

Yeah that's not always how it works, you know. E.g. biotech companies who are allowed to copyright the most trivial shit right now, will stifle human progress for decades.
Evolutionary processes developed it, state funded research discovered it, they wrap it together with duct tape and copyright it.

because systemd is actually a decent piece of software and conceptually well-grounded. Jow Forums is just angry. I have my reasons for not using it (sysvinit seems easier on my thinkpads' batteries) but the inconvenience of a non-systemd system just isn't worth it for the everyday user.

>hey big company, I'll pay you big bucks so you can have me by the balls

>imagine being in denial this hard

that's the most beta thing I've ever read are you an incel or something?

Based retard

Nice argument

I have nothing against proprietary software, the only thing I want it open source. And the only reason I want it is so that if I want/have to port it myself, I have the ability to.
The only thing I do not want is to be vendor locked to an OS. That's the only thing.
When programs like Foobar2000 exist and for the longest time where Windows only, that will restrict your options.
Translation layers like WINE, Linuxulator, Branded zones, Darling, etc are great but are not a general solution to this problem.

>it's another proprietary software user who needs to have their choices validated so they mock free software thread

> accusing proprietary software of being inherently evil
Take Windows 10, for example. You can change anything you don't like about it, rebuild and redistribute it along your friends, even sell it to them because you put some efforts in it and made considerable improvements. MS certainly won't roll back your improvements after another unsolicited update, because it respects your user choices.
No? You said proprietary wasn't evil.

why are you replying to bait? Are you stupid or something?

There have been proof-of-concept hacks to turn the camera on without turning on the light, dumbass.

Attached: Adventure Time - Dingus.jpg (650x540, 209K)

So low effort you didn't even use wojaks

>My MS Office 365 doesn't turn on my webcam and upload my HDD content to www.NSA.com
not sure if that's still a thing, but used to be that the default behaviour for Windows was to auto-upload all the camera pictures to the cloud
>Delete the logs and work offline
or just use free software that doesn't require you to put it in a faraday cage to stop it from calling home
>Freetards actually BTFO. Get a fucking job, so you can afford to buy windows, buy photoshop, buy movie studio, use Notepad++ for coding
Notepad++ is FOSS, dummy.

>My MS Office 365 doesn't turn on my webcam and upload my HDD content to www.NSA.com, my webcam comes with a light to tell me when it's turned on- this is true even with the recording software I paid money for.
Show me the source code and I'll believe you.