/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1552589988993.jpg (300x272, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fdisk#Create_a_partition_table_and_partitions
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/security#File_access_permissions
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's the best Linux distribution for a straight white male in his twenties?

How do I enable user registration from clients in LTSP?

dubs and I install arch linux

When I browse the internet, why does the font rendering look so poor on certain websites? I'm using Ubuntu.

Android

Hey, just moving a small server over to Ubuntu. Never used Gnome (or whatever the default Ubuntu DE is now) but it seems to have very little customization.
My question is, what customization can be done to Ubuntu for all users?
(IE. .config folders in /etc/skel/ before adding the users later)

Previously we used skel and set a familiar layout, theme and have the desktop wallpaper change every ten minutes from a folder on our server for all users by default. (on a different DE)

Attached: serveimage.png (1366x768, 193K)

, here

i bought a ryzen 2 xmas ago, and tried a number of distros. slackware, debian, ubuntu, suse, mint. mint was unironically the only one with zero issues during/after install, and also also very easy to get new software installed on it.

i use it for internetting, network admin/engineering, productivity work like writing proposals and making spreadsheets, and gaming. it does everything i need with zero fuss and zero learning curve.

the only problems i really run into are getting games configured properly on wine, which has nothing to do with mint.

i just feel like i need to step up my game because its generally regarded as babby botnet linux around here.

Mint if you've never used Linux before, or only used it for an insignificant amount of time.

If you have, then you should be expected to know enough about Linux, what you do/don't like about the distro(s) you've used and what you want to ask relevant clarifying questions instead of a generic "what's the best" or, better yet, be able to make that decision yourself.

It's not like most distributions are significantly different outside of preinstalled stuff (which can be changed/removed) and package manager.

>i just feel like i need to step up my game because its generally regarded as babby botnet linux around here.
Only by people that think installing i3 on Arch and posting in desktop threads is worth doing.

You're going to have to be more specific user, or post a screenshot.

Welcome to Linux, where fonts are shitty and screen tearing is commonplace.

Install Fedora!

Attached: Fedora-logo.svg.png (2000x2000, 112K)

>tfw there's a russian version of /fglt/
lmao, any way to translate websites without using the google botnet?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-14-20-14-54.png (720x958, 248K)

God I fucking hate these threads. It's just troubleshooting for dumb users over and over. Read the fucking manual or duckduckgo it, jesus christ.

Not on my Gentoo.

Fuck off.

Sure. You can use the yandex botnet, or other botnets.

Linux is a kernel.

Learn rus moon runes.

What is the most FreeBSD or NetBSD like Linux distro that:
>doesn't shit itself after a release upgrade
>has very low system requirements - this is for an older thinkpad
>has binary packages
>has something other than apt - I don't want the package manager to remove every dependency
>no systemd, login manager, bloated default desktop

why is a random Linux thread on an image board/forum surprising to you? are you aware of how many there are around the world at all times?

that literally describes Void Linux

But it's a GNU/Linux thread. That makes it special.

Attached: 1550499438441.jpg (548x551, 220K)

How's the xbps package manager?

bet it's the same shitposting as here, just in a different language

It's super fast.

Sounds like you want Slackware, though I'm unsure how well it handles upgrades. You'll have to ask somebody that's actually used it.

Low system requirements can be filled by basically any distro, and bloated "default" desktops/login managers are easy problems to solve though, so you're basically asking for no apt + no systemd + smooth upgrades + binary packages

Any ideas for reducing screen tearing in wine zbrush?
>no screen tearing in regular linux apps
>no screen tearing in virtualbox zbrush (its cpu only so it runs great, but I cant get wacom pressure sensitivity working in virtualbox)
>wine zbrush everything works but cpu jumps to 90% when panning and tears crazy
I tried forcing vblank, disabling flipping, max priority, all no luck. I can smell the finish line but Im stumped rn. I know this is possible cause theres some youtuber demoing sculptris on wine with no problems out of the box
>just use blender
I do use blender for eevee but I need dynamesh and zremesher

You are aware that package manager speed depends on the network right?

I know nigga I meant the installing/uninstalling packages part.

It also depends on how the package format, dependency resolution, etc.

Why so rude?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Hey, user, fix your bot.

GNU/Linux isn't a kernel.

GNU Linux is.

Linux or Botnet 10 for gaming?
or Dualboot?

Attached: linux.png (1366x768, 45K)

Wipe everything and install Debian.

I'm terribly sorry, but I would like to interject for yet another moment. What I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system, "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU needed, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really just distributions of Linux.

GNU Linux-libre*

You need to go back to the reddit.

My understanding is that as long as you're not playing modern meme anti-cheat infested AAA games, Wine/Proton is incredibly effective at making games run without windows.

I would recommend a dual boot for a couple months at first as a just-in-case, but use Linux as much as possible if you're seriously interested.

What does AAA mean?

Triple A game so games made by big companies like EA, Rockstar, etc...
thanks

And what means Triple A?

www.google.com

fuck off with your botnet

Are you one of these 'took me 5secs on google' tards?

Tried intalling Void but grub failed to install. Currently in a chroot trying to fix it.

How did it fail? What was the error?

Grub failed to install on /dev/sda
My partition is dos label, created with fdisk:
/dev/sda1 / (bootable, ext4)
/dev/sda2 swap
This is on a Thinkpad T60 using the x86_64 non musl iso.

Did you add an MBR to the disk?

Hmm... I thought that was what grub does.

No, grub installs itself to the MBR. You still need to add an MBR when you partition the disk. fdisk has an option to do so.

You mean the bootable flag in fdisk? Because I set /dev/sda1 as bootable already

Does anyone here have a favorite online Linux environment?
I'm required to use one at work because my computer runs Windows 7 on a toaster that can't even run a virtual machine without crashing.
I use Cloud9.io for the time being, wondering if you guys have any other recommendations.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fdisk#Create_a_partition_table_and_partitions
No, user.

This is just confusing me. I've had single root and swap partition schemes work fine before.

ive been following the arch wiki security page out of interest, and now when i try to open files in my home folder most say i dont have the permissions to do so. im assuming this specific step is where ive messed up
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/security#File_access_permissions

when i type umask in terminal it says its 077 so i know its worked. i think i messed up because i decided to recursively change those permissions for all files on the drive and not just my home directory but that aside i dont understand why i cant view some files in my home directory. ive chowned my home folder directly so i know the owner is my account, ive even played against the umask default by chmod -R 777 trist /home/trist and yet still, i cannot view it. i can open .emacs in nano, write something and save it. it will save, but if i try to open it again in nano its blank, while if i open it in root i see what i wrote so its clearly a read issue and not a write one. finally, i can open some files like .bashrc completely fine. what is the deal? any ideas?

forgot the image of my ls -la

Attached: fudge.png (743x302, 127K)

Been building openLocomotion on my own lately, running great and all, but do I need to run the cmake after every git -pull? (not that it takes much time, but still.)

>Openloco

Good taste, user.

Alright I started over from scratch and got void installed. I used the same partition scheme so I'm not sure what I did differently but it installed without any grub errors.

No game should be this comfy.

Pretty sure you do. If you use Gentoo you could do a -9999 ebuild that gets automatically reinstalled.

Elsewhere you could just do a lazy .sh script in the folder to pull, compile, run?

Yeah just made a shitty alias and be done with it.

MBR isn't a partition, thats why.

Does anyone now how I can fix this? I've checked every setting I can find in System Settings that controls the theme/colors as well as the Qt5 config tool and nothing seems to change the text color seen on the right hand side. I have this same issue with both Arc Dark theme and Breeze Dark. All other programs appear with light colored text and dark background . I have tried closing and reopening system settings and rebooting after updating theme and colors.

Attached: Screenshot_20190313_190616.png (1039x746, 106K)

what's the best music player? I love foobar but hate wangblows

Vlc, deadbeef, rhythmbox, mpd, mpv, or many more.

GTK3 is hard as fuck to build decent themes for, and is notoriously disliked by almost everyone. Not only that but they break the themes every few versions of GTK, so the fact that your theme isn't working in this scenario isn't necessarily the fault of the theme dev.

GTK uses CSS, so it's like styling a web page.
Or more like trying to make a single CSS page that styles every web page in existence.
So you might style the "post" class on Jow Forums, but then find that other imageboards call it "comment-div" and so it won't work.
So it's impossible for a GTK theme designer to ever know that he's covered all possible elements in all applications.

So the text element you're trying to change the color of is using some class name that theme designers aren't aware of, or that got changed in a recent update to either GTK or the application itself, or the application is pulling the color from some other weird place (like border color or something).

This is why a lot of people hate GTK3 themeing.
If I were you I'd just find some theme that does change the color, and then possibly open the theme file up and try to figure out which entry is the right one (by process of elimination), then add that entry to the theme I actually want.

Use oomox and stop being a cuck

Any super lightweight distro that looks nice and runs well on a ancient intel celeron laptop with 2gigs of ram?

Thats autistic friendly on Jow Forums

im totally new to Linux and decided to jump in on the deep end and install arch. I followed a YouTube guide (a nice Flemish chap called erik) and did everything as he did. I'm pretty confident it was all successful but when I boot into arch from my boot manager I just get the grub bash terminal with no option for arch. This tells me I didn't set my boot loader up properly. is there any way to go back and re do the boot loader config or do I have to start the installation all over?

sorry if that's worded terribly
t. two digit IQ

>loving nonfree software

>im totally new to Linux and decided to jump in on the deep end and install arch
Why?

Just use typical distro. There is no point in harassing your mentality like that.

arch+fluxbox

Never installed arch, but it's a manual install right? (meaning no automatic installer)
If so then just boot back into the liveCD/USB repeat any "mount" instructions you had to run (also any "chroot" instructions if you needed it) and then you can reinstall grub.

Pick your favorite distro
Use the minimal install/netinstall version
Install a box WM (Openbox, Fluxbox, etc) or your tiling WM of choice

Your choice of distro almost 100% does not matter unless the distro itself is so bad that you literally can't install it on the hardware. It's all about what software you put on top of it.

What do I need to learn to become a decent Jow Forumsentleman?

1: Install Gentoo - done
2: learn more about linux - in progress
3: ???
4: profit?

Attached: 1482366945996.jpg (377x561, 59K)

What are the upsides to Arch over my current distro (kubuntu) and what makes it worth the painful installation?

>Being poorfag and live on my taxes because no one hire u

Nothing
Some people just find stractching and cutting their hand fun.

Get your librebooted Thinkpad signed by RMS.

not to sound like a tard but what's a recommended font for Linux coming from windows? it's just the one that Manjaro uses as default is irritating my eyes for whatever reason.

good to know.

The only single good thing about Arch is the AUR.

basically any "beginner" distro like Ubuntu and openSUSE. I would suggest the KDE Plasma desktop though.

Thank you anons

Preferring pacman to apt, which you can't really know is the case until you've used it unless you hate apt to the point where literally anything else would be better

Preferring rolling release to having to go through the fixed-release upgrade process (or a flat reinstall) every few months, while understanding the risk that some day, you may need to troubleshoot something that broke because of an update (But Jow Forums memes massively overstate how frequently this occurs)

Actively wanting to build your customizations and configurations from the scratch instead of tweaking the Kubuntu defaults into what you want

Pretty sure those three reasons are literally the only ones. If you are happy on Kubuntu, don't bother worrying about it.

I already have a job just trying to pic up IT as a hobby

What?

as in I'm just running on a Manjaro live USB just to test things out again coming from KDE Plasma and Ubuntu LTS 18.04 (iirc) after a long stint on windows, again it's more just the font for this Distro is irritating my eyes which isn't the best sign however the rest of the Manjaro and XFCE aesthetic is quite appealing.

Uninstall Linux

ive heard it's the best for really learning about Linux and from going through the install I do feel like I've learnt more than I have playing around with Ubuntu and fedora

That sounds right I'll give that a try tomorrow, too mentally drained now, thanks user

If you're liking xfce but not liking whatever default font Manjaro is giving you, try some other distro's xfce spin, like Xubuntu

>ive heard it's the best for really learning about Linux and from going through the install
You got rused, m8. The only thing you really learn by installing Arch Linux is how to install Arch Linux

Agreed. Install Linux-libre.

maybe basic commands but you can learn that by spending 5 minutes in the terminal.