Urbit

Are you hyped about Urbit the new internet?urbit.org/primer/

Attached: download (5).png (225x225, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/urbit/comments/78wean/what_will_a_star_owner_do/
youtube.com/watch?v=wG9Q3xzSPdI
youtube.com/watch?v=BH1mv4h8tHs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

> It's literally just a vps

>"we don't want to be ruled by some MEGACORP"
You will be whether you like it or not.

Attached: 1544404115576.jpg (230x219, 6K)

No its encrypted and distributed and more robust than our current tcp protocol

>the new internet
>limited to 4 billion sites
>have to pay to host anything on the network
>designed for people who can't handle running their own servers
dead in the water

16 years in the making... finally something shipped lol

Attached: Urbit Stack.png (2096x1048, 164K)

It seems like it wants to be cryptic and esoteric more than it actually wants to be useful.

it can be very useful because
the distributed nature can host applications across multiple servers at once, for example a silk road site which then could not have a single point of failure

I have a planet. I tried it years ago too. Somehow it seems even less functional and more buggy today.

Also they recently discovered that their name generation code produces collisions, not they can't retroactively change everyone's name, so they have to add an ugly hack to work around the collisions. So much for muh perfect flawless diamond of immutable code.

Since I'm ranting here I'll add that it's always pissed me off how they're always masturbating about how Nock gzips to 340 bytes. We get it, it's fucking small.

Not to mention the Ethereum aspect. Good god.

Anyway Yarvin left recently and he's half the reason I cared about it in the first place. I'll just hold on to my planet just in case it ends up being valuable.

As a fat monarchist Jew I'm curious whether this system is fully formalist/neo-cameralist?

they made the logo
good job urbit

>designed like a marketing brochure
>"Okay nerds,"
Dropped like a condescending sack of shit.

The "clean stack" approach is flawed. Not just because muh Linux, but because of how any technology works anywhere.

I barely trust one organization to keep one new, revolutionary piece of tech running. I definitely don't trust someone churning out 6 or 7 new, revolutionary technologies, each occupying a totally different area of expertise, just to get their shit running. Even if each individual piece is simpler than the equivalent alternatives, the end result is still a complex machine with an attack surface the size of an entire fucking OS. And you want me to store my private shit, my entire "digital life," on that?

You see the problem here.

Having your data owned by corporations does suck. I don't like it. Personally, I try to host as much of my own stuff as possible for that very reason. But at least corporations are incentivized to protect that data; if you get a reputation as as a place where data gets stolen, people will stop providing you their most valuable data, and you will lose money. Urbit, on the other hand, wants to change the world. That's great, but there's no real, tangible threat if they should fail you. And no reason why I should trust their expertise, let alone their motivations.

If someone wants to do this properly, it should be one technology, one "translation layer," between tech as we know it now and whatever utopian hullabaloo this is. And their marketing pages should be transparent and technically detailed with an easy-to-understand example rather than a vague manifesto with cute little metaphors.

>corporations are incentivized to protect that data
Only to create an artificial scarcity of your data for long enough to analyze it and sell it to people who won't be breaking any laws when they use and abuse you with it.
And there is a threat: social credit or anything like that, be it government mandated or developed by some multi-megacorp monstrosity like the Bilderberg group as a private mass surveillance program, although this will get you if your cloud data shows something undesirable, or if you refuse to use cloud data at all.

We're screwed no matter what.

Where's their Kickstarter page? Because oh boy I am excited to not be controlled by megacorps but instead be controlled by little corp (and most definitely, still, by government)!
POST KICKSTARTER, FAGGOT!
I WANT MUH MERCH AND BE TOP TIER SUPPORTER!!!

How is it better than zeronet or freenet?

>Even if each individual piece is simpler than the equivalent alternatives, the end result is still a complex machine with an attack surface the size of an entire fucking OS.
But surely ~35k lines of strictly typed, functional code are more easy to understand and verify the correctness of than the millions of lines that make up Unix?

jesus, their names and terms are a slog to read through
>redefine everything with a new weird name
fuck
that is a reason enough to avoid this thing entirely

It's backed by company, from which you buy this service. This means that you will get support for this service.

when was that ever good
an extra layer of control, on top of companies controlling infrastructure by the simple fact of owning it
this

Another 'new internet'? I heard something similar a few years ago called Project Maelstrom. This is the kind of thing that will never work unless you have an unlimited amount of cash to keep the network running for a few years until until people start using it.

>even more centralized than it currently is
>but now it's also a pyramid scheme
OK kid

>But surely ~35k lines of strictly typed, functional code are more easy to understand and verify the correctness of
not necessarily
>than the millions of lines that make up Unix?
fucking retard

Are you hyped about GNU Net the true new internet?

>Today, you have two bad options for cloud computing: run your own Unix server or join a bunch of apps and services.

>We aren't going to take this deal. We don't want to be system administrators and we don't want to be ruled by some MEGACORP.

?So we built a new platform. A clean-slate stack simple enough that ordinary people can run their own servers.

>Urbit is a stack of three layers: Azimuth, Arvo and Aegean. Each layer could be used as a product on its own, and they're all open source.

This reads like some really bad new age sci-fi story.

GNUnet would be good if its devs were actually good. Distributed DNS that actually works, the ability to actually search content (problem is, the dht doesn't seem to invalidate dead entries), and distributed hosting that works. However the protocol makes it impossible to download at even 56k speeds right now and there's no bitswap so unless your content is popular it's going to die no harder than on clearnet.

My both posts you replied to were sarcastic.

Its not centralized, galaxy owners decide code revisions and then star owners can too, planets can switch stars they are in and also form their own republics depending on what they like best

How can government control an application inside of a distrubted and encrypted protocol? There would be no central server to shut down? I dont think you understand

i.e. centralized.

>If someone wants to do this properly, it should be one technology, one "translation layer," between tech as we know it now and whatever utopian hullabaloo this is.
Take ipfs
Add i2p
Stick it onto the existing routing backbone and stick the existing higher-level and application stack onto it
Boom, they even have an existing usable product right now

This is unironically why I didn't bother with urbit. They haven't even produced anything and better alternatives already exist

>d..dude... Are you dumb? There's no way a commercial product will have backdoors!
sure, kiddo
So I actually read their website now
>based on ethereum blockchainmeme
So it's another memecoin scam.
urbit? More like URFAGIT

litterally got cancer from scrolling through their website

I own 3 stars. Gotta say the name collision thing seems pretty amateur. It should be trivial to brute force 4B names and search for collisions. Now, will they try to brute force all possible comets and look for collisions? Is that even feasible?

But the Sponge eats up all your Headroom so that when your Planes try to switch Refractions the whole Substrate Unfluxes.

Just because you don't understand Urbit nomenclature doesn't make it technobabble.

It literally is, though. There's zero reason to call things like that, except to sound esoteric and exciting and wondrous.

It's actually named that way to obfuscate the feudal hierarchy ingrained in the architecture. The names before were much more NRx (lord, earl, pawn etc.)

That would be more representative of things, although still kinda retarded.

Not good for PR, which is also why Curtis left. For what it's worth, Galen said in the recent AMA that a lot of the weird names will be changing.

Who's Curtis and why did he leave?

Stars and galaxies have nothing to do with communities. They are just infrastructure for peer discovery and over-the-air updates

They actually hold quite a bit of clout on the Urbit network by default. They are service providers and will lose reputation if they misbehave. The idea is that people will fragment into their own digital communities that are moderated by stars.
Curtis Yarvin aka Mencius Moldbug. For fuck's sake his Wikipedia page is the top result when you google Urbit.

That's not the idea at all. Stars don't moderate communities, planets do. This is a misconception. Stars are just plumbing

OMG that webdev.

Attached: tmp.png (1143x582, 13K)

But Yarvin said that you could gauge the quality of the ideas by the quality of the webdev...

Skycoin is doing this better than Urbit could ever dream. Sky has 10,000+ hardware nodes already deployed around the world as the start of a giant mesh net. Decentralized Internet is coming, but it's coming from Skycoin (and Skywire).

Want to build the new internet? This is what you need.

Attached: rsz_decentralized_internet.jpg (2362x3891, 838K)

I agree 100%. I already built a miner for me and my cousing. I will be building for my parents to this weekend. Lets make it work! We need this.
Free as in freedom, internet for all.

Attached: diy_skyminer_34.167278d2.jpg (960x960, 60K)

Jow Forums pls go

>AzimuthArvo Aegean is is a virtual clean-splatter
Based

Attached: 1547872220248.png (2925x2286, 3.61M)

All I see is a clusterfuck of non-indicative terms and Marketing Names. They might have some good ideas, but my god are they self-aggrandizing and obtuse about them.

Attached: lenin explains machine code to proletariat.jpg (730x1118, 186K)

You have a guide that you worked with or made?

Why? Isnt Skycoin tech related? Not an in progress free internet, better than this Urbit option?

>cryptocurrency
into the trash

Wrong: reddit.com/r/urbit/comments/78wean/what_will_a_star_owner_do/

Skycoin is just a cryptocurrency that uses technobabble about new free decentralized internet as investor bait.

MAINNET SOON
MY LINKIES STAY STINKY

But they have actual, functioning hardware that is running the main net right now. It's only investor bait until the company actually delivers.

Yep. There is. I will lurk for you and post it here

youtube.com/watch?v=wG9Q3xzSPdI

youtube.com/watch?v=BH1mv4h8tHs

Official website is: www.skycoin.net

Attached: diy_skyminer_4.367e524c.jpg (960x960, 57K)

Fuck off Ranjeet qe aren't pumping your shitcoin bags

I own some Skycoin but I don't work for them. I believe in a decentralized internet, and they're the furthest along toward a real solution.

You need some sort of incentive to make people run nodes though, and crypto is great as you can send value/pay for stuff without using banks. I'm not saying crypto should replace our banking system or anything, not yet at least, but having a currency for the internet would actually be good.

So does buttcoin, doesn't make it any useful for stuff people actually need the internet for.

Skywire is hardware - not coins. Nothing to pump.

You have two shitcoins pegged to this scam- skycoin and skyhours. Stop lying through your teeth.

urbit more like urgay

Yeah, Antminer is hardware too. So?

Antminer does nothing except mine for coins.
Skyminer is basically a ISP, server, filestorage etc all at once. You have for example 8 nodes in your Skyminer, one for Skywire (ISP) one for storage, one for hosting etc. If anyone wants to use your Skyminer for processing, storage whatever they pay you with Coinhours automatically by using what you have set to be free for others to use. So you wouldnt need to make any contract or whatever, as soon as someone is using a empty node of yours you get paid for as long as they use it.

Althea Mesh and Urbit are going to rek your chink scam, bruh.

You don't need shitcoins to achieve this. Just use Zeronet and be done with it.

1. Urbit gives no incentive to run nodes.
2. Urbit is a "server" not a mesh network
3. Urbit is trash and doesnt even compete with Skycoin/Althea

4. Althea is ok, but it's 1 thing and 1 thing only, just like urbit
5. Althea uses price aware routing too. Which will be gamed to death.
6. IDK even know how you're supposed to pay someone using althea as they don't have their own currency
7. Althea does not have own network name space. Its still some IP address based thing.

>Skyminer is basically a ISP
I don't think you know what ISP is.

>as soon as someone is using a empty node of yours you get paid
Alright, so what if they use my node for CP?

>encrypted
>P2P network
pick one

Retard. An Internet Service Provider is someone or a company giving you access to the internet. If you run a Skywire node you can sell bandwidth to anyone connecting to you which effectively makes you a ISP.

Now you might go on about the backbone of the internet and routing. This is also handled by Skywire. Skywire will have a wifi mesh network capable of broadcasting up to 15km currently. There are also plans to use darkfiber for the backbone.

The routing is also handled by Skywire nodes and has been reconfigured to use MPLS instead of TCP/IP.

Skycoin is combination of
- new blockchain
- new connsensus protocol
- new language for blockchain development
- new network name space
- new networking protocol
- new routing algorithm
- new method of bandwidth metering
- new method of resolving debits and credits off blockchain at a high rate
- hardware for enabling the network physically

It's private, you and no one else would know what data your node is forwarding/storing. Either you have a private internet or you dont. Simple as that.

>communication protocol
>application ecosystem
urbit has these.

>payment protocol
integrating existing payment platforms/chains is easy. implementing it on currently doable, and will get easier over time.

>hardware platform
urbit does not give a fuck about the hardware its on, which makes it work well with literally any of the p2p hardware projects starting up.

don't forget most decentralization efforts can complement each other pretty well. harnessing a "network effect" like that is going to be very important if we want to escape from eternal centralization.

Urbit doesnt have ITS OWN communication protocol, it just uses the existing centralized TCP/IP one
Yeah, urbit has a application protocol similar to a server, because it is in fact a server.
It does however not have blockchain tech which means that the data in these applications cannot be trusted to the same degree as the data on a blockchain. Urbit is a memeserver.

Skycoin/Skywire doesnt give a fuck about hardware either, you can run a node on a raspberry pi if you like. But if you want a processing/storage node you need something more than a raspi

So many things wrong with your post i dont know where to start
>you pay for althea with dai or ether, not some pointless illiquid meme token
>urbit is multiple things, just off the top of my head it is a digital identity and api gateway on top of being a personal server
>Urbit is the only namespace necessary for anything moving forward
TL:DR you are a street shitter who should an hero

Dai or ether, nice. So gas prices will dictate how much you should pay then, and if this is all going through ethereum which does 30 transactions per second you are in for REEEEAALY BIG GAS PRICES which would make this meme althea internet so expensive no one would use it.
Urbit has to use blockchain for any data to be trusted still, and if they use ethereum it once again means, more transactions or I/O higher gas prices so weeeeeew lad, this althea meshnet will be reeeeal expensive.

It uses ethermint state channels on Cosmos you fucking retard. You don't know anything about Althea or Urbit and you aren't going to make it. Bagholding skycuck

>ethermint
Ouff, Sorry I didnt know that.
So now you can do 200 tps instead of 30? Great man, really good for you except that the I/O for a couple of users streaming a youtube video is going to make the gas fee once again, go astronomically high.