Epic spying on you?

I found this on /v/ and thought i'd ask you guys about it and what you thought about it. I am not for or against any specific gaming platform but I was hoping you guys could inform me on what i'm seeing.

Attached: 1552609663064.png (1914x4402, 1.91M)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/a9lntx/ubisoft_needs_to_stop_with_this_always_online/eclrmii/
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=556416380
gnu.org/proprietary/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not surprised at all

The first thing he is pointing to is it making new files in SystemCertificates, but he calls it "looking at the security certificates..". It's not looking at stuff, it's making new stuff.

/v/ is way to bias and autistic to discuss it. It will just end up with wojaks and tiananmen square shitposting. I genuinely am curious about this assuming it is legit.

Everything proprietary software spies on you nowadays. Either start using libre software or deal with it.

This guy is surprised by tracking gifs. Has he browsed a website in the last 5 years?

The only thing that somewhat worries me is it making a dll file inside his fiddler directory. Can't think of a reason it would need to do that, or why it would be named SHCore.dll. Anyone know?

Well I don't really come to his board so apologies if this thread borders shitposting or is shitposting i'm just extremely curious of the legality and if this is something I may be able to sue for.

Attached: 1552609607956.webm (1259x992, 1.85M)

Whoever made this must be a brainlet. It was creating a fucking certificate which it probably needs. Internet settings obviously too to check for proxies, etc. I don't know how can someone become such a paranoid try hard.

Cool reddit repost dude.

Actually, since it says file not found on the SHCore.dll, and desired access: read, I suspect it was trying to read an SHCore.dll and looked in the current directory or something. Not sure.. why it would be called CreateFile, but maybe it's like creating a file handler to read a file. Who knows, windows is fucked up.

The guy in the picture really needs to tell a better story, it's very vague and sensational. I would call it fake news.

I think it's a good example of how a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Same as when people start googling their minor medical symptoms and walk away thinking they have cancer.

>Game launcher looks on your harddrive for games
Yeah, better sue.
BTW, have you tried ProcMon on any programs you trust? You might be surprised by just how much shit every program does.

it means go back to /v/

This post is dumb. Basically this poster is correct Root certificates are public keys. There is nothing spyware about reading them. However I have no doubt that Epic is spying or doing something else bad, it's proprietary software used to shill predatory loot grinding games to little kids after all. The guy should have gone into more detail about the fiddler results, instead of wasting the top 75% of the image with meaningless shit.

It's important to know though that /v/ is overrun with Valve shills who will disparage Epic, EA, Activision, etc whenever they try to launch a competing game store, but will gladly turn a blind eye when Steam does the same things, which it has been doing for years already with VAC. So do not fall for their dirty tricks, avoid all proprietary game stores for they are all spying on you.

A Chinese owned company does questionable datamining shit. In other news water is wet, the sky is blue. Other news at 3am.

GO BACK TO YOUR CONTAINMENT BOARD YOU FUCKING BRAINLET

Attached: 1465402320579.png (709x636, 167K)

it's an american company you retard.
what does it have to do with one of the owners eating too much rice?

zoomers don't care

I'd advise on reading up about a topic before spouting bullshit. It doesn't have anything to do with the owners dietary habits. But please go on. Enlighten me about how a 40% stake by a company known for let's generously call it shady bullshit means absolutely nothing.
If I found a company in the US and sell 40% of the stocks to whomever it technically still is an American company, which news flash means literally jack shit.

Am I supposed to be offended that an online marketplace tracks users on their own domains?

>uses propietary shit
>gets surprised when it spies on him
the absolute state of this shitty board

Attached: 1522814034816.png (214x236, 6K)

>'m just extremely curious of the legality and if this is something I may be able to sue for.
you know those eulas that you scroll through with blinding speed and click "accept?" you brought this upon yourself

he's a /v/irgin

lol, there's nothing out of the ordinary about any of that

>China

360 and walk away.

video game is Jow Forums, retard

i don't care if you want to cherry pick data in order to feed your chinese conspiracy theory machine, but the company is USA based and >50% owned by an american.
If Epic steals your data, it's because Tim Sweeney decided.

>cherry pick data
>chinese conspiracy theory machine
Okay kiddo

People are so blinded by jingoism the very idea of a Chinese company having shares in an American company triggers them. Never mind that the actual CEO and majority shareholder said he would never allow user data to be used by Tencent and explained what the clauses in the EULA was for:
reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/a9lntx/ubisoft_needs_to_stop_with_this_always_online/eclrmii/

Never mind that Tencent itself is a publicly owned company and liable to its shareholders as well. Never mind that these people have played more games where Tencent is a partial stakeholder in the development than they care to know.

just be afraid, angry, and get in line. Don't think for yourself or ask questions. Epic Gaems bad! Stem good. GabeN more cummies pls.

>the chinese are spying us

Turning 360 degrees means you'd be facing the same direction retard.

>a gaming client needs to use your web browser, ok? It's for proxies, don't think about it
Hi Chang.

The NSA is USA based and 100% owned by Americans, I fail to see how this is a stamp of safety. If you want me to trust your program, release the source code.

it's called persecutory delusion or in common words persecution syndrome

steam client is build on top of chrome

I mean I didn't need a chart to explain that. Its just kinda instinct by now.

That's not the same as reading data from a browser I might use for myself. I don't trust Steam either, but at least there isn't hard evidence that it's reading .dlls and files from other programs.

ITT: Chink shills running waddabout_steam.exe

the whole argument here is that because there's a chink involved in a company, we imply that there's spying involved.
I didn't say that the US doesn't spy on you, I just said that the company isn't Chinese and that the one taking the decisions is American.
You don't trust a program because it's oss, you trust it once you reviewed it's code since it's oss.
In reality, you trust it because you think that someone reviewed the code for you.

>I found this on /v/
Keep it there.

steam has the same access every other game has, and since it's based on chrome, it might as-well have all the telemetry chrome has, but now working for valve.
On xserver steam has access to everything, once you fire up steam on linux, due to X working that way, steam can track your every click and every window that you have open.
Similar shit happens when you use twitter, which reads what other tabs you have open and they can ban you for reading sites that they don't approve.
steam always have telemetry and their game have telemetry. they don't protect you.
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=556416380

>le meta b8 man

gnu.org/proprietary/
Proprietary software is often malware. If your entertainment depends on proprietary games, download them from a store that enforces No-DRM and block them from connecting to the Internet before running them for the first time.
>This guy is surprised by tracking gifs. Has he browsed a website in the last 5 years?
From what the image implies, this traffic was originated from a desktop program that embeds a web browser (maybe CEF, maybe IE) and it's using it for analytics.

>takes the epic launcher almost 10 seconds just to load

The fuck is wrong with these people? It's fucking 2019. We're all running supercomputers. Why is that shit not instantaneous?

it has to phone home and update its spyware/malware before launching

Winnie the Pooh's new tales are less innocent than I thought.

/thread

based tim sweeney

Honestly all programs do this shit nowadays. Which is why you shouldn't use windows.

You're the kind of person that needs the free tibet taiwan formosa pasta.
Steam is shit, EG is worse. Taking TS at his word is even stupider than trusting your ISP or VPN provider to not spy on you.
Tencent is government controlled, puppet organization that's buying up many, MANY companies, this "minority stake" is not an isolated incident, they have outright purchased or obtained controlling interests in more than just Epic - some examples include Riot Games, Cat Cake, Grinding Gear Games, SuperCell, 12% of Activision-Blizzard, and are the biggest partner for Chinese version releases (PUBG Mobile, PUBG, Arena of Valor, AVA, ArcheAge, etc etc etc)

This is just the videogame "division" of TenCent interactive multimedia holdings. They also have social media platforms, mobile messaging platforms, music subscription services with 700million users and 120million paying users in china, an E-commerce platform (PaiPai.com), their own credit score, TenCent Credit, a chinese google partner (Soso.com), and more. I won't bother with the full list, this should be enough to demonstrate that this is no ordinary foreign company. Market value $500BILLION

devil's advocate: what if the launcher is just spawning some kind of embedded / in-process IE instance (via COM or whatever), and that's what's accessing all those things?

That's probably what it is, VaIvedrones are just looking for any reason to claim Epic is evil because Steam is dying

Video games by itself isn't technology but entertainment.
>huh? proprietary software spies on me!?
HOLD THE FUCKING PRESS! HOT NEWS RIGHT FUCKING HERE!

Attached: 1540500225511.gif (500x493, 631K)

>unironically playing fornite

Reminder that Valve is not your friend

Attached: steam-mods-660x400.jpg (660x400, 63K)

Fuck off. Discussion of corporate malware is /g

Anyone else remember how steam literally has access to your entire computer and browsing history for its VAC systems?

Attached: tumblr_nog1q26Wa61tszwcio1_500.png (500x333, 260K)

Do I feel sorry for fortfaggots for getting meme'd on? No, I don't.
I hope Apex does this too.

Remember the good ol' days when proprietary software was just "hello this is our stuff, pls don't copy it tyvm" and not "hello this is your stuff we WILL copy it according to our 30 page long (((privacy policy))) that nobody will ever read, however it will grant us to monitor you all day"?

>criticizes Epic

>downloads FitGirl botnet

Attached: nd.png (132x162, 4K)

>/v/ is way to bias and autistic to discuss it.
haha yeah dude. that is totally the reason and not the fact that they are easily lacking 30 IQ points compared to most other boards

>installing a chinese botnet in the first place

Attached: 1551830120185.png (278x248, 55K)

CreateFile is used to create global file handles, it is seldom uses to actually create files.
Still, Discord pulls these same kind of stunts, does /v/ hate that too now?

They aren't legally binding if they break the law.

Can we talk about Tencent owned Epic Games owning EasyAntiCheat as well? I have never played a game with that EaayAntiCheat spyware bullshit because of how intrusive it is.

if that were true, why do mpgh & unknowncheats still operate in the same domain and have the same name they have always had?
No, I'm not advocating for gayben, I'm just saying nobody really knows what VAC does. Even people from UC that have been reverse-engineering leaked VAC dumps for years don't know. It's still useless though

BEHOLD THE POWER OF PNGQUANT
use it next time

Attached: 1552611987486-or8.png (1914x4402, 439K)

You still can't know for sure if they didn't spied on you.
I think that windows is calling home since windows XP
Maybe, people got clever and companies now says what they software does in 30 ToS pages just in case if someone would find out and sue them
It's only allowed for triple letter agencies. To not tell anyone about their backdoors or spying, that is.

so if i de-install steam, there is nothing for them to steal? one question. why is steam data so important to yellowman?

why is the country any relevant? is getting spied on by chinese worse than by americans or russians or random intelligence agencies or advertising companies?

Yes.
Yellowmen wants you to play their gaymes so they spy how to make their gaymes more interesting for you.
And when you play their gaymes then yellowmen knows everything about you.
Unless you larp and have no digital print to connect to your identity.

only phoneposters benefit

> In reality, you trust it because you think that someone reviewed the code for you.
How do you know? Please, don't tell anybody, it's shameful.

not everybody with data cap is a phone poster
it's also stupid to wait 3 times more to see a pic just because

It hurts to look at your post

>not everybody with data cap is a phone poster
1. I don't give a shit about poor people
2. Stop being so poor

If it requires a (((launcher))) then it's not worth playing, simple.

is qbittorrent a launcher

if you believe every png from Jow Forums with big red text, i've got some recipes for home-made crystals for you

No. Still garbage though.

just do these hand exercises to relieve the pain

fuck you

Qbittorrent is comfy

Ah, I see... so this isn't actually a matter of privacy, it's about national pride. It's okay to getting spied on as long as it's a red blooded American hero that's doing so to protect you

>ever having that chink botnet on your PC installed

Attached: 1547761116808s.jpg (249x249, 7K)

gtfo shill

It would have a read/write permissions list famalam not read and open disposition with synchronous io non alert.

ITT: OP discovers procmon and points out things that have no significance and doesn't even know operation origins

the track thing at the bottom seems not as bullshit as others though

so the best thing to do is let them have a payload of bunk datas? also if the launcher chats with a (user)system isn't that also a way into their system(s)?

>lets all just give up
Yea lets all just be slaves, lots of people are slaves. Either don't be a slave or deal with it

>using proprietary software
>complaining about said software spying on you

i made a epic account and my email got stolen
this happen to anyone else?

This.
I don't know why this fact is so hard to understand for some people.

Attached: bc63b3e581e7e7da721a12d8796de37f6daaa04d6fe4e5159e147e9a4eec0695-b.jpg (406x392, 106K)

(((electron)))

I started getting emails from Epic and I have never used any of their software or made any accounts with them. I'm pretty careful what I use this particular email address for and never get spam otherwise.

Jow Forums has severe limitations on image DL speed no matter your connection.

Best thing to do is to do what Jow Forums says all the time: pic related.
No, moron, it's not OK. Who the fuck said to you it's OK?

Attached: gentoo_penis.png (967x593, 24K)

You're not giving up if you use open source software.

Internet explorer only exists because it's still embedded in many apps. Otherwise microsoft would just remove it.