Creator of Homebrew makes less than minimum wage

Got blacklisted by Google too, what an idiot

Attached: 1527673640449.png (334x513, 148K)

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/Whats-the-logic-behind-Google-rejecting-Max-Howell-the-author-of-Homebrew-for-not-being-able-to-invert-a-binary-tree/answer/Max-Howell
bricklin.com/
frankston.com/
twitter.com/mxcl/status/608682016205344768
samtuke.com/2018/06/a-primer-on-open-source-business-models/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pretty sure you get blacklisted after failing their theirs interview process, regardless if you bitch about it on your blog.

how did he get blacklisted?

also, he might want to start using a real OS instead of babby's first unix

>full time open source dev doesn't earn money
shocker

imagine not knowing basic concepts after developing for the platform for years

It’s pretty easy to get blacked from living in Savannah.

Meanwhile I earn shitloads of money as a Scala dev.

US?

If he was making less than minimum wage he wouldn't be able to afford to live in San Francisco. I'm sure he's being paid by the NSA to put in backdoors.

he lives in some shitty flyover state

explain

Dude's pinned tweet is begging for money too

Attached: OP.png (772x726, 221K)

>Swift
LOL
Learn a language that matters.

Well, he's primarly a Mac developer, so...

Ger

>Homebrew
>Broke
I call bullshit, I'm sure he makes enough from the google analytics he forced into Homebrew.

Turk?

did you just fucking growl at me bro, want to fight?

lel
double lel

this guy seems based idk what you guys are on about

the guy's an idiot and an asshole quora.com/Whats-the-logic-behind-Google-rejecting-Max-Howell-the-author-of-Homebrew-for-not-being-able-to-invert-a-binary-tree/answer/Max-Howell

>implying Turks here have the mental capacities to be Scala devs

German women prefer Turkish men. Fact.

I get calls back every year after failing their interview. Pretty sure it's because he wrote a blogpost.

Why is he an asshole from that post? definitely an idiot, though. Get a fucking good discrete maths book and pass any interview.

More like layover state or connecting flight state.

I fucking hate Gayle Laakmann McDowell. She's always bashing anyone who has anything to say about tech interviews. Why? Because she's famous for her fucking book and wants it to keep selling.

R u gay?

m00t got a job at Google by fucking trannies.

Attached: 147327581840593.gif (500x281, 1.6M)

>Expecting the OSX userbase to pay for open source code...

Maybe if he stopped buying Apple hardware he could live comfortably on less than minimum wage.

Howell is perfect confirmation for three things:
1. Spending unpaid time on open-source is a tragic waste of time
2. Software industry hiring practices are the number one reason for shortage of developers because it's easier to start a new startup than pass hiring process of existing companies, rinse and repeat
3. Mastering fundamentals is more important than meme of the year language/framework/wharrgarbl

And Apple users are typically more likely to pay for stuff than thieving windows & android pajeets.

>1. Spending unpaid time on open-source is a tragic waste of time
but what about mpv?

time spent on mpv is never wasted

Who fucking cares about that faggot and his lame package manager.

You want to know what's really sad?

The creators of the first spreadsheet program never saw a single cent, neither the guy who created the mouse, it was Steve Jobs and Bill Gates the one who got filthy rich.

>creators of the first spreadsheet program never saw a single cent
who??

Attached: bob_and_dan2900ICE5-3.jpg (3755x2624, 1.09M)

The guy who made VisiCalc, also became millionaire.

Anyone who talks back against corporation or government without backing is destined to suffer

can't find the "If only you knew how bad things really are".jpeg

Please do not continue to spread this FUD that open source means unpaid.

Tell us how you became one.

You're still relying on donations though.

If you make something people want and force them to pay for it they will, but if you make it free and ask for donations only a handful of the people will actually help out.

Ever seen their websites?
bricklin.com/
frankston.com/
You’ll either think they’re laughably archaic, or how the web should be.

>Full-time making open source for *you*!
>for *you*!
t.entitled piece of shit of a person
he miserably failed whiteboard interview because he is a shitty developer then called google out on twitter
twitter.com/mxcl/status/608682016205344768
he couldn't manage basic data structure but somehow expect to get hired....

Open source doesn't mean only donations, there are like 1000 other ways to get funded.

Not really. You can repeat the interview.

>there are like 1000 other ways to get funded.
Only if you're big enough to get companies as sponsors, most devs don't and need a fulltime job.
for example gpl-based projects can't provide a closed "premium" version
they can't add subscription
they can't have ads because it's usually morally not compatible with the floss mentality
tell me how can they make money without donations and ads.
And I'm not even talking about the legal issues that come with money, it's often a more massive burden on the shoulders of the dev than the code will ever be.

>>full time open source dev doesn't earn money
>shocker
>not a shocking example of disinformation

>tell me how can they make money without donations and ads.
By selling a product that customers want and that provides value for them. If nobody wants to pay you anything for your shitty to-do list app then it's because it provides no value.

>A primer on Open Source business models
samtuke.com/2018/06/a-primer-on-open-source-business-models/

To illustrate a my point there's a significant difference in terms of skill, knowledge and experience between a civil engineer or architect and a brick layer or welder. Thinking you can enter a job as an engineer when your skill set is at the level of brick laying or welding is not going to be enough. These trades still have value and skill but not at the required level.

Other sectors are very much the same, including software development. It seems that Mr Howell's shortcoming was failing to appreciate the requirements of a potential employer. Yes he may have skill and experience but not at the level required. Like suggests, learning whats required for progression to meet the requirements would be a good start.

In my opinion there seems to be more people interested in software development, the market has picked up on this, which has lead to the many different courses and camps etc being made available to give them the skills to get started. But maybe that's all they do, and then some may naively think they can just sail through a career as a software developer not realizing that if you want to climb the ladder from a technical perspective it gets more complex.

>Spending unpaid time on open-source is a tragic waste of time
>unpaid (as in explicit separation of paid)
>Please do not continue to spread this FUD that open source means unpaid.
Fucking hell, why is it that freetards are illiterate morons.

You know exactly what you meant you shill, don't try to backpedal on this one.

lmao the amount of C O P E from this post

>iToddlers are poor
Surprised he isn't a pajeet too.

I may be a little bicurious. WHy do you ask, user? Would you like to suck my cock?

they said that most than half of people who get hired interview more than once

Lmao, of course they are poor. They look for status in their computers/phones. They're legit dumb fucks. Slap a Nike logo on a laptop, and they'd eat that shit up.

This, imagine releasing something of value for free. Now you need to beg for money or work in a shit job.

Homebrew is garbage honestly.

based

How are you guys sure he wasn't just being tongue-in-cheek with the "help me make minimum wage" quip?

Just because you can make stuff doesn't mean you know stuff. Google doesn't want engineer/devs who hack their way into creating a useful program.

but they did made millions, they just suck in business

it is amazing how much money i make calling functions from a couple javascript libraries i kind of know when genuine programmers make nothing

he's working for free for some stupid startup according to his linkedin page

macports is superior anyway

Most serious open source projects are supported by big companies who pay their own developers to work on certain open source project during their work time. It's a meme that a bunch of dudes just do some hobby coding in their basement.

and that is a good thing
pic related
try to install sshpass with homebrew
you can't
the nigger banned it
>muh security
>muh hardcoded passwords
>muh beliefs

Attached: CLjQPZ-UkAANvw2.png (1104x448, 195K)

Hired to fill the diversity quota

thats like banning fork and knife because you could kill someone with it

no wonder he's making minimum wage with that mindset

open source is a working conspiracy to lower techie wages

He cares for his users!

Some open soure projects make bank, though. Companies use them, need them to be developed. Donations come in heavily

those are extortionware pretending to be open source software

what's a better package manager for mac? I don't want to use this faggot's software

Hey, if you can read the source code and can use the source code then it's open source.

> Get a fucking good discrete maths book and pass any interview.
Any recommendations?

>algorithms/data structures questions
>discrete math
???

its all discrete math on some level

install guixsd

There's a good textbook Discrete Mathematics by Richard Johnsonbaugh. No calculus or advanced math required, but it will teach you advanced math.

Contents;
1: Logic and Proofs
2: The Language of Mathematics
3: Relations
4: Algorithms
5: Introduction to Number Theory
6: Counting Methods and the Pigeonhole Principle
7: Recurrence Relations
8: Graph Theory
9: Trees
10: Network Models
11: Boolean Algebra and Combinatorial Circuits
12: Automata, Grammars, and Languages
13: Computational Geometry

try nix user

yeah but you're probably better off with CRLS if you want to pass interviews

It's entirely discrete math. Every problem can't be expressed with mathematics. Lots of interview problems will test your math knowledge. Studying discrete math will make the problems much easier to understand.

>CRLS
wtf is that?

The two are not mutually exclusive though

>prioritizing UX and QA over actual functionality
Ew. What even IS Homebrew? ::one google later:: lol. No wonder. Performed an extremely basic functionality for a group of tech-illiterates in a way that coddled them and now he thinks he's a big boy because they think it's magic that they don't have to go on google and click an installer.

Not bad-mouthing package managers, but Mac already does most of the work for you. And limits the amount of work you CAN do.

How are you going to come up with a red black tree with only knowledge of discrete math?

no need for (((package managers))) on windows 10 at all

Thank you fren

Attached: E5985DDD-5CBB-423A-9CCB-E3282AEA2B46.jpg (736x509, 78K)

You are retarded

You just use discrete math to improve your understanding, thats how you get l33t and crush the interview

I looked it up, found nothing. So you lazily abbreviated something, instead of spelling it out. YRFP. (You're retarded you fucking pleb)

don't study discrete math. you're totally right.
>rather retards not get better so the competition doesn't go up

>something of value
Does not apply to homebrew

I think that faggot worked at Facebook but left

wew