Okay, fa/g/gots, convince me to buy a CRT. Why should I buy one of these dinosaurs?

Okay, fa/g/gots, convince me to buy a CRT. Why should I buy one of these dinosaurs?

Attached: f0960aaf94374151f9d53ff7f3220268192b68c6bb50690ea9bd91e724b1aa95.jpg (800x600, 91K)

you shouldnt

/thread

very high refresh rate but super cheap

>buy
I got mine for free along with a really old computer. People give away old stuff all the time, otherwise try goodwill for $10 max.

You shouldn't. There's a reason people can't even give the pieces of shit away.

10 years ago a crt was worth it. lcds are good enough now.

>There's a reason people can't even give the pieces of shit away.
And that reason is...?

they're really old so the only ports you'd find on them would be either s-video or vga (maybe DVI if you are really lucky)

They're blurry garbage at high resolution. They guzzle power. They're hot and unreliable. They're massive for the amount of screen area you get. If they didn't have geometry problems when brand new, they sure as fuck do by now. And the list goes on. CRTs are shit, period.

I have this port. Would any of these monitors work on it?

Attached: photo_2019-03-17_07-45-42.jpg (1280x956, 146K)

that's vga

>this port
sometimes I really think that this place is no different from reddit

I paid $1500 for this

Attached: DDB3EE4E-50BE-4786-841A-5C9E987FD23A.jpg (4032x3024, 2.73M)

You can play shit at high refresh rates and if you get lucky you can find a good one for dirt cheap. I also recently found out you can use HDMI -> VGA adapters to play emulators at 31KHz 240p with little to no latency, gotta test that soon.

>using the internet to lookup things in 2019

That's because you're an idiot and fell for a meme. Even if you just had to have a high-end CRT, you could have gotten a good AG PC monitor and an OSSC for about a sixth of what you paid and probably gotten a sharper picture.

That's a projector port, user

Jealous? :)

PC monitor with line doubler is even more autistic then pvm

Attached: EB32BD09-5F32-465E-BEC7-1426844F3F58.jpg (2500x1875, 2.17M)

>Jealous that I wasted a bunch of money on literal trash? :)
Not exactly, no.

You overpaid.

God, that picture looks so comfy.

That isn't what CRT monitors even looked like you stupid fucking zoomer

I'll never understand why anyone would want those thick black bars obstructing their view.

I only mentioned price because I knew it would trigger dumb jealous autists like you. also enjoy your pc crts and tangled mess of cables and using jank line doubler I’ll just be over here with my convenient as fuck pvm that can automatically and easily switch between 15khz 240p and 31khz 480p
Playing earthbound At 3am in the glow of the tube, snowing outside and I’m all cozy warm bet your butt it’s comfy

Attached: C8EAA071-E94E-481B-BDF5-71E636046536.jpg (4032x3024, 3.67M)

Are you retarded?

I'm perfectly fine with my 4K OLED, actually. But enjoy your tiny overpriced meme box. :)

I have an oled too use it for movies, I also have a 144hz lcd panel for pc gaming who would have thought using different pieces of technology to accomplish a task that suits that task best. Crazy huh? Crts are also more color accurate and do blacks better and enjoy your ~30ms of latency with all games on an OLED, crts have 0 :))

Attached: 448A8D37-6236-4F29-B777-F436C69E2F79.jpg (2500x1875, 1.55M)

Emulators with runahead have even less latency than original consoles on CRTs, and OLEDs have better colors and blacks than CRTs as well. But keep trying to justify wasting money on obsolete junk if you want, I'll leave you to it.

>Emulators with runahead have even less latency than original consoles on CRTs
I was talking about display latency not the latency inherent in the electrical signals being sent to the display from the hardware which mesures at a speed so fast no one could differentiate between the two. Try again. The latest firmware on the latest lg panels has lag of about one frame. If you play all your games via emulation on your OLED that’s great for you I guess but really quite boring.

>and OLEDs have better colors and blacks than CRTs as well.
They don’t, the 2017 and 2018 panels maybe. I own a 2016 oled. Crts are better in blacks and color accuracy. And besides no one watches movies on a 20” 4:3 sceeen, that’s why I have an OLED. Does the concept of having multiple types of tech to accomplish different tasks elude you?

>But keep trying to justify wasting money on obsolete junk if you want, I'll leave you to it.
Crts are definitely obsolete, yep. No one was ever trying to argue against that point. Keep being assblasted. I’ll leave you to it.

Attached: 36AE8C24-D792-4B09-83CF-3056F7AA2EEA.jpg (2500x1875, 2M)

There is nothing redeemable about CRTs like typewriters to computer keyboards, it's literally light beams directly aimed at your face. Does that sound like a good thing to you? LCDs when they came out in the early 2000s were a godsend. Also with CRTs, the length and width of the unit is directly proportional to the screen size.

Attached: 1550521782517.jpg (653x659, 54K)

no, I was just alive when people actually used them

You shouldn't. First of all, you're dumb if you take Jow Forums memes seriously (CRTs, Linux, Stax headphones, etc), and second, there's a very good reason why CRTs were phased out. CRTs are simply dogshit, and modern monitors are beyond comparison.

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-03-15-02h17m06s086.png (960x720, 439K)

>Also with CRTs, the length and width of the unit is directly proportional to the screen size.
Not always. I had a giant ass 35” tube. Wasn’t that deep if I recall, maybe 22” it was simply as wide and tall as it needed. 35” 4:3 is a actually a lot more screen real estate than a 50” 16:19 display.

>35” 4:3 is a actually a lot more screen real estate than a 50” 16:19 display.
No it isn't, not even close. A 35" 4:3 display is 588 square inches, and a 50" 16:9 display is 1065.75 square inches. Even if you were just talking about height alone, a 35" 4:3 display is as tall as a 43" 16:9 display.

Zoomers disgust me

>bing bing wahoo!

>this port

Attached: 1516144400390.jpg (590x409, 43K)

It is, all the oldfags left to 8ch

If it's still anything like it was last time I went to /tech/, only the retards pretending to be oldfags went over there. It's just as full of morons.

This. Sub-par picture sharpness and geometry.

Don't.
More for the rest of us.

only advantage : in winter they are heating your room

Should have done your research. Shouldn't have paid more than €400/$600 for that.

CRTs are definitely better for old content that was designed around them (even though aperture grille CRT with RGB is debatable, composite artifact was used in favor when designing games).
But saying CRTs are better than modern options in general? No, a modern selective backlight IPS panel that does 144Hz is going to blow it away in every way, even latency at higher resolutions.

Just buy a higher end consumer Trinitron if you're in Europe (or RGB mod in the US, but you won't have same service menu options related to RGB, service menu does include calibration for geometry too, fiy). They are literally free, plus do everything from PAL/60, NTSC to RGB. Leave VGA CRTs for the content they are best suited for.
You also won't need a magnifying glass to look at them at a comfortable distance, there are loads of +30 inch ones, just go around and pick one with the least mileage on them.

You definitely paid over the odds but my guess is that you'll break even in ten years or so. These are like the holy grail for retro gamers

>I prefer loli shit haha

So you have a display that'll do 2048x1536 for under £5

>Paying over a grand for a crap telly
What an absolute goy's bitch.
You spent 1 and a half amerigrand on a small 4:3 telly so you could play super Mario and enjoy all 256 of the on-screen colours on a sub-PAL tier picture.
Keep in mind this is all on the presumption that you're a full grown man and that you've gone out and made 1 and a half grand and it's not just daddies money.
You can pick up a 4:3 aperture grille set for a fiver.
It'll have scart so you can stick RGB in.

Attached: 1517376190359.gif (800x371, 125K)

So you can pat your cat while it sits on top.

don't settle for anything less than that eizo

It might work but you'll need a dongle and good luck finding those now.

>paying more than 5 bux for high end crt

I like looking at them.

waste of energy
hugely
also deteriorating plastic = heat = vapor
horrible things .. just for disposal. nothing 'classic' about a CRT.
waste.

although trinitrons were nice

Scanlines don't obstruct anything, they literally go inbetween rows of pixels. There's nothing behind the scanlines.

Better blacks than any LCD, better color than IPS, and way longer time to burn in an image than OLED. It also doesn't have a native resolution and then look crap at anything else.

objectively false

Attached: Shadow_mask_closeup_cursor[1].jpg (580x1012, 154K)

>It also doesn't have a native resolution and then look crap at anything else.
Right, CRTs just look crap at every resolution.

Also, CRTs having good black levels is a meme. The screens are literally light gray. The only way to get good black levels from them is to look at them in the dark.

not every crt is a sony

Nope. No matter how hard you try, a high resolution appeturely grille CRT will always be better. Better colours, better contract, less bleed, sharper picture.
Nobody is talking about shitty low res consumer TV shit.

>It also doesn't have a native resolution and then look crap at anything else.
They do. Even though the elements making up the picture do not correspond to pixels, they were designed with a proximation in mind where they look the best. Specially for digital information, less important for analog where you only have lines.

>The only way to get good black levels from them is to look at them in the dark.
There's still bleed.

it's brighter, because the phosphors cover more surface area. that's the only advantage.
a shadow mask is still sharper.

>t. never used a high end workstation CRT

reading your post on one

Attached: meme.png (1295x361, 59K)

This
Pic related
>The only way to get good black levels from them is to look at them in the dark.
And there is nothing wrong with it

Attached: crt lcd.jpg (3024x4032, 1.05M)

im mean that shit is free out on peoples curbs not sure why you wouldn;t have one stashed in the shed

No. If your CRT has what looks like backlight bleed, your brightness is turned too high. Turn that down or turn contrast up until black is black.

Oh also it's more of a dark gray unless you're looking at stuff from the 70s or whatever.

CRTs will always have some bleed, that's just the reality of it

With the Schiit in the background the CRT is the least of your financial mistakes.

No. There is nothing to bleed. The phorphors glow when an electron gun fires at them. If the electron gun is off as it passes over an area, that area will be as dark as if the screen was off. If it's anything but that, you need to adjust your picture.

>a modern selective backlight IPS panel that does 144Hz is going to blow it away in every way, even latency at higher resolutions.

I have a CRT monitor that I bought for $10 on Craigslist that outperforms all of this crap. Better contrast, better blacks, better refresh rates, more flexibility with resolutions, better viewing angles, zero input lag. I laugh when I hear someone talk about g-sync or some other marketing BS. Really? You mean it's almost as good as a CRT from 30 years ago and it only costs $5,000? Literally the only advantage that digital displays have is that they're lighter and take up less space. Who cares? It's not like I'm moving it around every day.

Attached: 1551119413925.jpg (218x231, 10K)

>this port

Attached: 9000.jpg (277x380, 20K)

There's a layer of glass between you and the phosphor coating. There will always be some bleed, no point in trying to argue.

Are you referring to the slight glow that radiates from a bright spot on a CRT?

>I have a CRT monitor that I bought for $10 on Craigslist that outperforms all of this crap.
That's because you don't have a recent, high end SB IPS monitor to compare to.
There's no reason to get mad, CRTs are great and have their purpose.

>I laugh when I hear someone talk about g-sync or some other marketing BS. Really?
Tearing issues exist on CRTs as well, anything that uses a framebuffer to output, doesn't matter if it's hooked to a panel or CRT.
FreeSync has been made to work with CRTs as well for that reason.
It's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.

We aren't talking about LCD backlight bleed. Start reading the post chain again before making dumb arguments for the sake of arguments.

Tell me about this Freesync for CRTs. How does it alter the scan rate of the monitor dynamically, and how can this not cause insane flicker when the framerate drops?

Same way it would on a flat panel. But since the frequencies are generated on the outputting device, no special circuitry is needed on the monitor side, as long as the monitor already has the required features to work with variable frequencies.
Adaptive sync is a great feature on any display, the reason we were stuck with v-sync and tearing is entirely legacy from the early days of CRTs.
Google about it if you're curious, i.e. "freesync crt" (without quotations).

I don't personally see much use for it since the content CRTs are great for doesn't require it, but it's still awesome.

How do you even find a CRT without ordering online or getting a consumer CRT TV?

fpbp

eye strain
having to wear fucking yellow glasses to stop from going blind
no headache, like i get when watching peoples lcd screen no matter were
faster draw
no gtg stupid shit

Do you play old games on your computer? If you don't there's no reason to use them as they're obsolete for everything else.

>better color
>better blacks
>better refresh rates
>obsolete
Sure, bud.

I'll take your bait
>better color
OLED
>better blacks
OLED
>better refresh rates
144Hz OLED
>obsolete
Yes, and the only reason you use a CRT is if you need to play your Japanese VNs at 640x480 because that's the only resolution they support

>OLED
As good as CRT, but for more money and burns in quicker. Why would I pay more for a screen that does the same thing but lasts a lot less long?

>only 640x480
why did you buy an oled to watch fuckign movies with/

we need a new containment board for zoomers

>>better color
VA
>>better blacks
VA
>>better refresh rates
V... Yeah, well, gayming anything
>>obsolete
Yes, CRT is obsolete garbage