Fact: Ubuntu is the only distro that is anywhere near to being ready for desktop use

Fact: Ubuntu is the only distro that is anywhere near to being ready for desktop use.

Attached: 1200px-Ubuntu_18.10.png (1200x675, 701K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CP8CNp-vksc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ebin meem broseph

Attached: 44n5d6hgfagz.png (742x828, 151K)

>look i posted it again

This is, in fact, the first time I post it. The thing is, I came to this realization after using Arch, Gentoo, Fedora, and OpenBSD. Ubuntu is the only distro ready for desktop use.

What bug does that effect? I've used ubuntu for years and I've always had thumbnails

>gnome for "desktop use"
>no man, you mean kubuntu

imagine being this much of a faggot distro hopper to come to the ultimately lame conclusion that ubuntu is ready for desktop use? what a fucking idiot. ubuntu is the worst pile of shit i've ever used.

>Kubuntu
The most bug filled KDE desktop. Pass.

Ubuntu is broken crap based on a broken distro. Might as well use arch.

Fact: Xubuntu is the only distro that is anywhere near to being ready for desktop use.

ftfy

here's all that ubuntu is good at:
servers.
...the end.

Yeah, Gentoo is better for normal daily activities, isn't it faggot?

>ubuntu is the worst pile of shit i've ever used.
Seconding this. May as well use Win10 instead of this trash heap.

No but Fedora is. You cannot prove me wrong.

Attached: Fedora-logo.svg.png (2000x2000, 112K)

Are you sure about that? Just open the file picking dialogue here on Jow Forums to upload an image

neck yourself, canonical. your OS is fucking trash. I would rather use Amiga Workbench from 1992.

I'll never comprehend people who use distros based on "minimalism". If you truly wanted minimalism, you wouldn't be running Linux nor GNU.

It does come close, but out of the box, there is some broken stuff. And no, I won't go into detail.

fedora is pretty good. shits on ubuntu from a great height. even linux mint is superior to ubuntu, and that's far from perfect.

Canonical legal team here, expect a lawsuit soon.

>windows10

There is absolutely no need to use such foul language on this board.

Fact: Ubuntu stopped being relevant when they ditched Unity

>ubuntu
>minimal

Fact: no one shitting on Ubuntu on this thread has used it for an extended period of time. They get all of their knowledge on computers from memes.

it's not "minimalism" reard
it's usable desktop friendly DE

I didn't say Ubuntu is minimal you absolute fucking retard

Attached: Learn-to-Read-Image-650.png (650x650, 306K)

No, Mint is. And GNOME is utter shit and not ready for any kind of use.

i meant the distro not the flavour you absolute fucking retard
and neither is xubuntu

Mint is super easy to use but is still slightly buggy. No more than Windows 7 though. If Mint was super stable it would be the perfect normie desktop. 2020 year of linux desktop

A challenger appears

Attached: 1545808779447.png (2000x1433, 120K)

Buggy in what way? I only use the Xfce version and the only bugs it has are related to Xfce itself so they're not Mint's fault.

I used Ubuntu as my main OS for a while and recently I set up a VM with Ubuntu Server on my main server. The server thing immediately brought back all the horrible experiences I had with Ubuntu in the past, and then some. apt was super slow and it fucked up twice, at that point reinstalling was easier than fixing it, both times. systemd immediately had 2 failed units on the first boot. Apparently Ubuntu now uses some weird abstraction layer for networking that has a static YAML config. Changing the virtual NIC to a different model broke networking until I set the new interface name in the YAML config. Then there was a time when I had to shut down all the VMs, I noticed the Ubuntu one was still running. Opened VNC and saw systemd "a stop job is running for...". What a joke. I can't tell how anyone would recommend this for server or desktop use.

I still never said such thing. Xubuntu DOES advertise itself as light (as in with less "bloat"), though, which can't be true with GNU/Linux

Imagine using a meme distro, such as *pffft* OpenSUSE.

>as in with less "bloat
i don't think so and i never got that impression
it's as in usable on old pcs

Actually yeah it really is just Xfce. It's mainly stuff like the panel disappearing on startup, screen tearing and Thunar being slow. And as I said, no more buggy than Windows 7. The only thing I can really pin on Mint is that it enabled CD-ROM as a software update repository for some reason and made my updates slow as hell. I just turned it off and it's fine now. And I fixed the screen tearing by switching to Compiz.
Pretty comfy in general, not thinking of switching to any other distros any time soon.

OpenPEPE will never become a big thing. Their developers are living in a circlejerk world, where everything about suse is perfect and their way to do things is the only way to go.

Fedora is comfy desu

this

>panel disappearing and screen tearing
nVidia issues. Mint's Xfce implementation has a proper compositor which doesn't tear on AMD or Intel. I've never seen a panel disappear except panel's items disappearing on Xubuntu if you use the deskbar mode. As for Thunar, I don't know what you mean by slow. It's extremely responsive.

Mint Xfce (for me at least) ships with Xfwm4 without compositing which causes screen tearing. Turning on compositing fixed it. As for the panel disappearing, it happens on my PC and laptop. And Thunar does start up slow on my PC and laptop. Very responsive otherwise.

,,l,,

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-17 08-33-59.png (1440x900, 310K)

>posts something from 2004 to shit on the most popular os

FACT: Obongo is A FUCKING FRANKENDEBIAN

I don't understand the hate for Ubuntu, I've never had issues with it, is this a meme or something?

>is this a meme or something?
Yes, Ubuntu IS a meme.

Linux Mint is the best Linux distro, change my mind

>Linux Mint is the best Linux distro, change my mind
manjaro kde

Says the guy who thinks avacado toast is a sensible meal

>With short vowel words families

I WILL END YOU FUCK OFF WITH THIS SHIT HOLY FUCK I CAN'T THINK OF A MORE ANNOYING GROUP OF WORDS

Debian Xfce
You lose

are these baste?

>store bloat
>amazon shit
>GNOME ramhog despite laggy as fuck app menu UI

Maybe, but I prefer using Debian and setting up things as I like it. Takes 10 minutes maximum.
I never tried Fedora but feel like giving it a try, if it offers any legit benefits over Debian

Not Xubuntu
?

As someone who's mainly a Windows user, after trying a few distros Mint to me felt the most polished. I'd probably use it more often, but sadly none of the distros or driver configurations i tried fully agreed with my hardware setup

That's what you call a thumbnail view? Lmao
Pic related is what is meant with that issue.

The problem still persists to this day. See . Part of this joke is that is has in fact not been fixed since fifteen years.

KDE Plasma doesn't have this problem btw.

Attached: snibeti snab.png (651x503, 198K)

to me it makes absolutely no difference which distro I use. if it does, you just don't know how to use linux.

youtube.com/watch?v=CP8CNp-vksc

Not exactly true. There's plenty of distros are aren't polished and are easy to break even without you doing anything. None of the bigger ones, but plenty of small ones tend to have that happening sooner or later.

That doesn't look like Linux Mint or even an Ubuntu Spinoff. Have you been eating shrooms again OP?

who's talking about the smaller ones you dumbfuck? I'm talking about debian, ubuntu, fedora, arch, suse etc.. if you know Loonix, it shouldn't make a difference.

KDE should ship a stripped down version with minimal features with more "stability" and we can finally live a post-GNOME world.

Servers shipped with EOL kernel.

Lol no. Desktop it's noob friendly. Server is just unfriendly

Kubuntu > Ubuntu

Well you didn't mention you were just talking about the major ones in your post but alright.

It's good but not noob friendly

What would you like stripped out? I've used KDE neon for months, and the only "stability" issue I've noticed is that it breaks when you update (until you reboot).

There's something to be said for the Windows style of updating upon shutdown.

this, I hate kde for being so fucking big. Just give me your panel, desktop, window manager and settings control center, go fuck yourself with your kshit. This is why I use gnome, kde shits the bed too often

If you complain about "muh bloat", use OpenBSD with fvwm, and stick with the base utilities. Either that or Plan 9.

If you use ANY desktop environment (that includes Xfce and the like), or any Linux distribution, you don't have the right to complain about bloat.

As for myself, I perfectly know this, that's why I thought: "If I'm going to use a bloated system, I might as well go all the way and use Ubuntu, which has many facilities".

Attached: Capture-12.png (801x597, 8K)

Plan 9 is garbage and mostly a hipster circlejerk where only a few people do any actual work on it.

Imagine being this hobbyist and insecure
Imagine being this deprecated

PackageKit offline upgrades.

The worst thing about Fedora is the slow af dnf package manager. Fedora with KDE and the Nvidia fix is comfy tho.

>Mint
I can't take Mint seriously. Everything from the name, the logo, the package manager, the desktop environment... it just feels like an OS for kids, like "Hannah Montana Linux" and such

There's only 1 good distro, and it's called Manjaro.

Excluding the metadata sync thing, it's actually really fast.
this

redpill me on the nvidia fix

Arch while missing the point of Arch

Name one distro that isn't a circlejerk

>GNOME ramhog despite laggy as fuck app menu UI

desktop use doesn't mean your T60 grandpa

>it just feels like an OS for kids, like "Hannah Montana Linux" and such
That sounds exactly like something i would expect of desktop-ready distribution.

What about old computers? Less resource using but still able to give new life to an old computer. Less waste.

You listed all of the reasons why I recommend Mint to women and old people.

All of the Ubuntu distros are fine to good.

Really only edge shit like Arch, LFS, Gentoo and such are >enthusiast tier and of questionable non-neckbeard use value.

>Fact: Ubuntu is the only distro that is anywhere near to being ready for desktop use.
Fact: general population barely knows how to eat.
Another fact: general population can't follow instructions

Ubuntu cant:

>thumbnail meme
>use different folder view for different folders

Windows is an OS ready for desktop-use, yet it doesn't sound like it's for kids.

Whatever. I don't even use the GUI file explorer. And even if what you're saying it's true, that'd be GNOME's fault.

>Any Linux distro
>Ready for desktop use
Lmaoe

Hey linux nerds, I'm running ubuntu 18.04 and I've got a 2tb hard drive in an external inateck drive bay. I want to mount it but it's a dynamic disk full of data from my old windows pc. How do I mount a dynamic disk?

Gparted sees the disk but says unknown filesystem so I'm guessing dynamic disks aren't supported by gparted.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-17 13-20-02.png (767x518, 49K)

It's not.

Never (than 12.04 or so) versions of Ubuntu can't support my old laptop, while Windows 10 works perfectly on it.

this is somewhat true, today I tried to reduce mouse pointer speed on kubuntu and I couldnt, first I went into mouse option and there were some acceleration settings only that didnt help at all then I went to stack exchange and followed several advises using command line, that didnt work, in the I reduced the acceleration as much as possible and that slowed it down somewhat but its impossible to make it slower

how can an os or a distro expect to be adopted by average users if even such trivial setting cannot be changed even using command line, while windows had setting for pointer speed since since forever

SLES fucking suuuuuucks, i have to use it at work an their firewall implementation is fucking retarded. Unpopular opinion but they at least have systemd.

>OpenBSD
Bloat
Install NetBSD

Friendly reminder that xfce is deprecated.

>systemd
No thanks

I just tried to install a radio player on my desktop-ready premium Ubuntu operating system.

Attached: snapd.png (922x502, 170K)

Well, then what IS desktop-ready?