Is it time to replace VGA projectors in thousand of school and offices or are they still good enough?

Is it time to replace VGA projectors in thousand of school and offices or are they still good enough?

Attached: Connecting-Acer-C720-Chromebook-to-VGA-Projector.jpg (1730x1044, 587K)

>1024x768 resolution

they show powerpoints, and converter boxes are cheaper than a new projector so they're fine

They will get replaced when they are broken, no need to replace them beforehand.

Can you still get the transparent paper that they use?

Attached: OHP-sch.jpg (1920x1440, 321K)

Almost all of our projectors have HDMI, but we only have VGA cables. We already invested in VGA adapters for the Apple devices, so it's too late to switch.

>school has hdmi projector, tvs with hdmi ports
>teachers use VGA cables
They have HDMI cables too, but either they won't unplug them from what they're plugged into or they just use the VGA cable because they think "VGA for computer output".

We have like 25m long VGA cables going from the desk to the projector, I doubt you can just replace them with HDMI. And given that the converter box is cheaper than an appropriately long HDMI cable, and HDMI offers no image quality benefits, why bother?

You can strip the panel from an old 19" LCD and turn it into a digital projector.

OHP is not a VGA projector user, tho you did got display panels you could place on them to be projected. Not very good tho, as color LCD panels were not great at letting light through (good) VGA pojectors used 3 small monchrome panels. Also OP wtf, for powerpoint and shit, not 4k gayming
you get 25m HDMI cables, just, not esp. cheap. VGA is easiest to extend, DVI is a PITA

>OHP is not a VGA projector user

It was more about old technology still in use.

>people show up with widescreen presentations

Every single time

>I doubt you can just replace them with HDMI
You literally can. you could even just tie one end of an HDMI cable to the VGA cable and then pull the VGA cable out, drawing the HDMI cable through the same run.
The problem is that they have to actually see the benefit of HDMI over VGA to justify the cost.

>and HDMI offers no image quality benefits
It fucking does, though, so long as the projector resolution is high enough.

yeah we sell it at Staples, actually. Like C$70 for 100 sheets, so it ain't cheap, but it's still easily obtained.

Those VGA cables usually goes bad in my experience, you breath at the cable and the image goes purple.

>needing more than this for basic school and office purposes

Based fucking OHPs. Most teachers are overburdened with using digital devices and creating presentations anyway, and switching to computers and projectors actually DECREASES their productivity as opposed to their collection of decades of overhead overlays and textbook copies. Just let em do their fucking thing instead of forcing computers on them.

As for VGA, it transmits up to 2048x1536 at 85 Hz, so yes, it is very much sufficient for transmitting some dog shit laptop resolution at 60 Hz. The sole benefit of HDMI is if you want to transmit picture and sound simultaneously with a single cable, and DVI is only needed for 4K resolutions or gaming monitor refresh rates. Even most home users could still use VGA if computers and monitors still shipped with the connectors.

>you could even just tie one end of an HDMI cable to the VGA cable and then pull the VGA cable out, drawing the HDMI cable through the same run.
Only if the entire path has enough clearance for the connectors/ferrite beads and no other cables to snag onto, which never happens.

But what I was talking about was cable length, HDMI gets really flaky at 15+ meters unless you use top quality cables.

for the shitty presentations they use them they are good enough.

Where quality matters even a bit there are already projectors with digital input for ages.

> so long as the projector resolution is high enough
Most projectors are still 1024x768. And even for 1080p projectors there's barely any difference if the VGA cable is decent.

>image glitches all the time because people pull the cable every which way to connect it to their craptops
>have to open up ten meters of conduits and a dozen ceiling tiles to replace the cable
I fucking hate that shit.
And if you think HDMI is any better, it's not, the image just starts flickering instead of going purple or blue.

>make 16:9 presentation
>customer has a shitty 1024x768 projector
>greens are not even showing up

Attached: [HorribleSubs]_JoJo_s_Bizarre_Adventure_-_Golden_Wind_-_22_[720p].mkv_snapshot_02.15_[2019.03.15_18. (1280x720, 855K)

One of these literally burned out when I was elementary school, the black smoke came from the vent

No. Projectors and the ports are just tools. If they do the job they should stay. Projectors aren't your rgb gaming machines that need to be full of the latest nvidia(TM) graphics(TM) enhanced(R) technology (patent and trademark pending) as advised by genius bar and linus tech tips. Secondly, HDMI is a proprietary mess full of DRM. VGA can be outputted even from Arduino.

Do like Germans and Japanese, not like the Silicon valley wants you to do or you'll wake up with juicero in your fridge, zoomers.

>not having two different versions of your presentation each optimised for either 16:9 or 4:3
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get the average teacher to act actually learn how to use a new piece of technology. It’s a miracle they are actually using projectors at all instead of just dictating straight out of the textbook

Attached: tv-20081130190907.jpg (1024x768, 159K)

in my school, almost every teacher uses drawing tablets with some crappy oem software to write notes. some of them even distribute their notes as pdf after class.

I am not sure if I even want to know

Attached: 1531733622638.png (388x363, 255K)

They've been replaced by digital presenters, which are a thousand times better.
>Can use ordinary A4 paper not expensive plastic sheets - they're pricey, see
> Can also present textbook extracts
>Zoom
>Freeze functionality
>Lecture can be recorded

Don't give me the "it's too hard to learn" meme. It's really not. Particularly if the college uses AMX or Crestron controllers (like they should) which take care of power and input switching.

Attached: images (19).jpg (554x554, 19K)

>remove reflector foil from display
>put it on an overhead projector
>add additional coolers for obvious reasons
It's not rocket science and if you're lucky you can find all this on the trash.

>They've been replaced by digital presenters, which are a thousand times better.
Not in any school I've been to.

When I saw the thumbnail, I thought it was one brick-sized laptop

Attached: thicctop.jpg (800x600, 125K)

VGA supports up to 2048x1536, the res isn't a limitation of VGA brainlet.

VGA gets noisy as fuck with longer cables.
You basically have a huge antenna picking up all sorts of interference and sending it to the projector.

25 meter HDMI cables do exist.
They are fairly expensive, having to be well shielded, but they ensure no image quality gets lost.

>Don't give me the "it's too hard to learn" meme. It's really not.

I wish they were harder to learn.
All those tech illiterate teachers, no wonder younger generations are shit with computers.

I just don't understand projectors and the installations in the rooms they're in

I work for a hospital, sometimes there's a talk, literally every time:

>speaker has a MBP with 5 dongles
>or windows pc with only hdmi and no dongles
>shitty computer in the room takes 15 minutes to boot
>who has the login? oh shit let's call someone
>widescreen PPT/PDF on 4:3 screen
>640×480 pc output
>purple/green missing
>microphone doesn't work
>can't hear shit, acoustics suck
>I have a video in my PPT, but it's a youtube link and the wifi doesn't work
>I actually have the video on my laptop, but sound doesn't pass through hdmi/Jack not connected/speakers put on mute
>Please replace lamp, projector will turn off
>PFFFFFFFFFF super loud fans

WHAT THE FUCK, how is this better than handouts or a transparent paper projector. Holy hell I mad

Attached: 1426424876995.jpg (521x521, 52K)

>friend paid 50 billion for an apple laptop
>can't connect to VGA or HDMI without a shitty dongle

oh no no no

Attached: 1544648784507.jpg (616x350, 22K)

I am a teacher and have to use a VGA port prohector every single day. Like said, I show fucjing Powerpoints. It works just fine. It sucks when a pin gets bent or something but other thsn that it's fine.

>let me hijack this thread and turn it into an Apple bashing shitshow
I do not want to defend Apple, neither do I want constant shitshows about Apple.
You obviously are very emotionally invested into the Apple brand, if you like it or not.
Maybe stop talking about them all the time you fucking queer.

Attached: 1552772371977.jpg (694x693, 36K)

>INTENSE WHIRRING

Y-yeah! VGA is the perfect standard for classrooms!

Attached: wi504gh7mrj01.jpg (675x900, 77K)

Lets see an HDMI cable do that fuck face.
I work helpdesk and I unironically I love VGA. There is no fucking question if it's plugged in or not since our install techs screw those fuckers in hard. HDMI on the other hand falls out all the fucking time when devices get moved around then I get a call because someone is too dumb to check it.
Shure, there is locking displayport cables, but those have their own problem, people think they're HDIMI and pull on them so fucking hard without pushing the button they can strip the cable or break the female connector's housing. I'm not joking that we had a woman crack the PCB of a projector pulling so hard on a displayport cable without pushing the button, somehow the locking pins didn't break and the projector did... This shit just dosn't happen with VGA in the field.

I bought an overhead projector from a goodwill for $10 and had a trash 4:3 LCD panel laying around that I did exactly this with. Worked surprisingly well and was fun for playing emulated games with friends projected on an entire wall.

>laptop with shit cooling on lamp projector
It's like a quick cooker

They'll change them when they get financially hard to maintain

>Digital => Analog => Digital
What an incredible waste.
Abolish VGA now.

This is still a good resolution for a projector though. Unless you're willing to spend a lot, new projectors don't even go that high, it's usually 800x600 native and everything you plug into it is downscaled.

the eye can't see past 1080p

>storing media in digital format

Attached: David_Teniers_II_-_Peasant_Walking_(San_Francisco).jpg (1622x2098, 1.04M)

The eye can't see past 320×240 Mode X VGA.

>tfw I plug in VGA without screwing it in

Attached: 1523515346698.jpg (470x595, 81K)

then use displayport

You didn't read the post did you?

too autistic to tell that's not a macbook in the OP huh user?

you literally just have to put 2$ adaptors on them to change them to HDMI

just put a adaptor on every end. will cost you like 50$ per university.

>can they show text?
Yes ?
Then theres no need for change

$2 HDMI adapters are garbage and full of compatibility issues. Use the USB powered $12 adapters.

Spot on

Attached: 1465909596601.jpg (698x433, 104K)

They never do

How do you prepare for no green though? Full gray scale?

yes but schools are too poor to do that

I'm using VGA right now.

Those original VGA projectors probably did cost 10x more than modern HDMI ones at the time when you account for inflation.

Don't rely on colour to provide essential information. Use it as a visual enhancement, not a crutch. Plus it's considerate of any colourblind people in your audience.

There's no point in HDMI except compatibility with newer PCs if you don't go over FullHD.

I have two of those LTE5300. Too bad the trackpoint broke.

VGA is fine. 1024x768 is enough to look at sales figures and bullet points on.

If only you knew how bad things really are...

Just use hdmi balun

Image quality is good enough for basic office purposes.
The only reason you'd need a new projector is because the (manufacturers) don't put VGA on laptops anymore

I work in an university in Brazil, there's like 30 of those in a depot only 10 of them were ever used. They have been there for at least five years. Teachers refuse to use them.

Those things are very fucking low maintenance and are pretty much guaranteed to work, meanwhile I swear I get a new projector complaint every fucking day. No matter what brand we buy they just refuse to work reliably. Only printers are worse than projectors.

I always silently laugh when vendors come in with their $4000 macbooks just to have to use a VGA adapter and set their resolution to 1024

the cost and downtime far outweighs the benefits. it's why businesses still use shit like windows 7 and windows xp.

some private schools use tvs instead, but in public schools, most still use the old vga projector.

no because new things cost money. only replace if the current thing does not work.

arent there wireless projectors too now

hdmi cables drop from the connector even if no one ever touches them. they are so loose that they must be designed for really quick removal instead of reliable connections.

in the end its all analog. you cant see or hear digital things.

You can hear and see the losses caused by analog transmission.

Attached: kds-noise.jpg (400x293, 39K)

i dont really see any difference on my monitor if i connect it with a vga cable instead of dvi or hdmi. some shitty company projector will always look like that because they are old and not configured properly and use bad cables.

DVI and VGA were truly the peak of display interconnects.

You wish has been granted! Now they're all 1366x768 forever!

Attached: qbs.png (730x600, 233K)

So what do they do? Mac -> HDMI dongle -> HDMI/VGA adapter -> projector?

DVI was the peak. Both analog and digital signals on the same plug. Use cheap passive adapters and you can have HDMI or VGA should you need them.

When I was in high school from 2008 to 2011 we still had laserdiscs, VHS, CRTs and transparency projectors.

hdmi, even with ridiculously shitty cheap cables, always looks good for 1080p with audio. based digital
VGA I've found catches a lot more interference and causes it as well. 1080p looks a lot less sharp (less refined since analog) and bright screens cause something (i think my desk subwoofer) to make an awful bassy humming noise

Attached: hosdmi.jpg (576x768, 94K)

Same here. People conplaining about vga Just dont know video quality is almost the same as with Hdmi if you use quality cables ofc.

This. I've been amazed with VGA quality even at 1080p and above, so long as cables are good. I get a little noise in flat medium gray and that's it.

>a little noise
>almost the same
Must be nice to have such low standards.

-most teachers dont know how change screen resolutions.
-projectors still using VGA because they dont want pay royalties for use HDMI and Display Port
-HDMI cables are expensive and cables in every classroom are too expensive for school´s budgets

Attached: 1521944582548.jpg (933x768, 73K)

>I sit 2 inches from my screen to make sure the pixels aren't being tampered with

>-most teachers dont know how change screen resolutions.
valid
>-projectors still using VGA because they dont want pay royalties for use HDMI and Display Port
pennies per device
>-HDMI cables are expensive and cables in every classroom are too expensive for school´s budgets
HDMI cables are cheap as hell, probably the same cost as cheap VGA

its time to start sending death threats to sysadmins who keep making bigger budgets for schools with ipads and other crap that don't do the children any favors education wise

>implying sysadmins make that choice
blame the retarded administration

The CNC operated computers in my old middle school's woodshop class still use Windows XP. It just werks

Nope. It doesn't really matter for documentaries and powerpoints

there's nothing objectively wrong with XP if it's not being used for anything critical like that

like most things, you should replace them only if;
- they are no longer suitable for the work they are intended to perform (for example, replacing a transparent sheet projector with a digital one to suit a change over to digital documents)
- they break AND will cost more to fix than to replace

having only VGA input isn't a good reason to replace a projector, even if your machines stop shipping with VGA outputs, it costs less to get an adapter than to get a new projector

I will absolutely notice the difference between VGA and HDMI/DVI/DP at 1080p, even at 24" let alone blown up to fit a full wall.

doesn't matter for office purposes

>transparent paper
It’s called plastic