What is your opinion on KDE, Jow Forumsuys?

What is your opinion on KDE, Jow Forumsuys?

Attached: konqi-kde.png (424x600, 60K)

stupid defaults
occasionally buggy in some areas but by and large much better than it was a few years ago
overall the least painful DE especially on a modern system

I want to fuck the whatever you know where this thread is going.

>stupid defaults
>occasionally buggy
my opinion ends here

Konqi a Qt

I agree!

You want to do what?

Attached: konqi-qt.png (424x600, 79K)

Bloated and buggy
i3 masterrace

What do you think of KDE in general, not only Plasma? Things like their other software, community and philosophy.

Attached: konqi-serious.png (424x600, 82K)

gnome is better.

Windows fag never used

>philosophy
No clear goal, this is why it has so many settings and shitty defaults. KDE was innovative but became a lot more restrained after KDE 4, the post of """courageous""" design is now being held by, ironically, GNOME. In other times KDE would've been the first to adopt tech such as Gayland
>community
Amarok devs/maintainers are twats, but other than that they're alright. I remember when someone asked a KDE dev for a KDE-native version of GParted and he just made it (Sebastian Ulbrich IIRC).
>software
some are good (Okular, K3b, Dolphin, Krita), average (Plasma), but some things could die in a fire (KMail, Baloo, Discover)

It's good until anything GPU intensive makes Kwin hard freeze while everything else keeps running. Plus, suspending to RAM somehow takes eight seconds while under Xfce it's on the spot.

I've been using Plasma on Tumbleweed for about a year now, feels good especially with integrated graphics. back on XFCE compton made most of the tearing go away, but intel drivers and KDE are smooth as a babby's bum.

>a fucking dragon

>fucking a dragon
ftfy

It's been years since I touched KDE. Last time I looked at the source code for one of their programs I couldn't believe how many wrappers they have. They're pretty open about using Qt, but if you think that you are going to learn Qt and then be productive enough to work on a KDE project, you're wrong. It's like they took the Qt API, replaced every instance of Q with K, and then made a bunch of changes to make it different enough that you basically had to relearn all of it. I don't remember which library it was (probably an audio library) but the author of the original one had written it to work across a variety of backends and was shocked to discover that KDE had written a wrapper for their wrapper.

>was shocked to discover that KDE had written a wrapper for their wrapper.

Attached: 0ca36be035e2c8c79d6af4543c7a6990.jpg (500x332, 27K)

Lots of pointless software and and time wasted on irrelevant bullshit instead of just improving the fucking DE.

>ktorrent
This piece of shit was broken for ages and would not add magnet links under certain circumstances. Dunno if anyone ever fixed it since ktorrent looked dead in the water. I mean do we need yet another torrent client anyway?

>konquerer
Again... don't need another browser. They don't have the manpower to maintain a fucking browser anyway.

>rekonq
I just dont even know what the the idea behind this was. A second browser??? Why?

>kdewallet
Get the fuck out of my face you annoying piece of shit. I don't even know what you're for but fuck off.

>default audio and video players
These can fuck off too. If its not VLC and Audacious then it can gtfo.

So bad bits out of the way... The good parts

>Dolphin
This is a top tier file explorer. It fucks up when it comes to network files sometimes but the UI is pretty damn glorious.

>Gwenview
Don't even know if KDE makshites this but its a solid image viewer. Just. Fucking. Works.

>Konsole
No issues with this.

>KDE Plasma as a whole
It's a very nice DE, I can do things much easier than in GNOME generally. I cannot stand GNOME3, Ubuntu's implementation of GNOME is tolerable but I still prefer KDE overall. Lots of settings for doing stuff. Generally dosent crash much anymore.

>KDE software
Dolphin is pretty decent as far as file managers go and Okular is the best PDF reader on any platform, I haven't formed a strong opinion on the other stuff in the KDE suite yet

works fine on debian for now. i'm using it because of customization and above all, to make windows remember position and size.

>Gwenview
It's decent but my only issues with it are the lack of tabs and the way it always seems to take a couple seconds to start up even when I'm just starting a second instance, other image viewers start instantly but are often too spartan for me; is there a way to speed up Gwenview's start time a bit?

I

There is something wrong with gwenview it takes forever to open an image on a smb share over a gigabit network. I just switched to using honeyview in wine