Did I nuke my Radeon VII?

So I tried that washer mod because Radeon VII gets thermonuclear. Stupidly used washers I had laying around the house, they had some kind of coating on them. Soon as I load up FurMark start smelling burning chemical smell. Pulled it out and see this on one of the block retention screws.

After cleaning up the residue with some IPA and using different washers, card still works fine. Ran FurMark for 15 minutes, no issues. Played TD2 for a couple hours. Seems to work fine, and the washer mod did bring my temps down.

Should I be worried about this Jow Forums?

Attached: IMG_20190318_200659.jpg (4032x3024, 3.32M)

Other urls found in this thread:

streacom.com/products/da2-chassis/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

probably

If it works then it's fine

So what is that burned off layer? Is it just a finish coat on the PCB?

Don´t worry ,it just ate away the top insulation for the copper traces. eather put elecchickens tape or kapton on it and you will be fine. Or just use nylon washers.
But clean it beforhand with 99% alcohol or nailpolisch remover to remove residual chemicals.

any kind of tape would probably do

>being dumb enough to short the vcc and gnd pcb layers
looks like your psu for limited the current. good job, retard

I have some nylon washers but they're 1mm which I think is too thick for the retention bracket (too much pressure). I'll throw some tape on it

>ey had some kind of coating on them.
metal isnt a coating user, its a conductor.

Then tell me what this is General Autismo

Attached: IMG_20190319_090710.jpg (3000x2250, 2.53M)

Anyway, taped it and replaced washers.

Attached: IMG_20190319_084801.jpg (3000x2250, 2.56M)

Still running fine.

Attached: IMG_20190319_085849.jpg (4032x3024, 3.65M)

What case do you have there ?

Streacom DA2

streacom.com/products/da2-chassis/

Thanks

Very cheap washers, insanely cheap, made of metal.
They are stamped out, which is why they have the sharp edge on them.
The sharp edge acted like a knife when you pressed them down with the leverage force that is a screw, and then they sharp edges cut into the traces and past the protective paint. The metal on metal contact cause them to short the fuck out.
The short cause insane heat, which burned off more paint and whatever other garbage the card is made out of along with the paint on the washers and that cause the smell.
the "coating" (paint) is not what caused this.

You cleaned your card with Indian Pale Ale? Fucking hell.

Interesting...

Have you tried running vidya without anti aliasing? Does it improve quality at 4K at all?

in what way

I like to get my GPUs drunk before I fuck 'em.

I run 1440p/144Hz, but I don't notice any significant difference with or without AA.

I didn't think of that but you might be right. That would also explain why it was just the one and not all 4.

I think those washers typically come with (shitty?) furniture. I got some with a tool chest. Always take to time to install them with the sharp edge facing away from a surface I care about. You probably just installed them whatever way you grabbed them and the others were sharp side away from pcb.
You can take a file, deburring tool, or a large enough trill bit and grind that edge off.
Id say that particular washer was over tightened because you can see where it crushed the pcb as well as cutting into it. You had asked if you should be concerened about this, I would be weary of it because pcbs of this type have multiple layers and an internal trace could be fucked up. That might disable performance or lead to it shorting out inside at some point. some features might be disabled now, but you may never use those anyway, think of it like if an art student fucked up their cpu but all that was damaged was vm-x. An art student would never know the difference.
If you still want to go that route, take the edge off of those washers and wrap them in electric tape. Thats what they did with the xbox penny trick.

Attached: (JPEG Image, 259 × 194 pixels).jpg (259x194, 13K)

>that sag on this new of a card
wtf

These came with my DA2. I'll probably buffer all of them with some tape, that ought to soften and insulate it enough to be safe.

ITX problems

>These came with my DA2. I'll probably buffer all of them with some tape, that ought to soften and insulate it enough to be safe.
yea Im sure that will work for the life of the computer.
autism requires me to inform you that micro vibrations over time will probably allow it to cut through the tape though

Thicc cards always sag, tripfag.

As long as it lasts to a better generation of GPUs, I'm cool with it.