Phones as Desktops

Can modern Android phones, with their USB-C ports, work easily as a desktop computer these days? It shouldn't be hard to project the display to a monitor and then connect a keyboard and mouse via a USB hub or Bluetooth.

Why don't I see more about this? I'd like to be able to use my phone for this purpose.

Attached: image.jpg (646x459, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

androidpolice.com/2019/03/14/freeform-windows-can-be-enabled-in-android-q-without-hacks/
github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy
twitter.com/AnonBabble

With newer high-end Huawei and Samsung phones it just werks

You're literally describing Samsung DeX

Attached: linux-on-dex.jpg (980x620, 65K)

What sort of device do I need to get this to work?

yes

Attached: phonephag.png (2246x1080, 2.81M)

If you aren't really tech literate just get a Galaxy Sx and get DeX (Google that) and you are good to go, really any modern Android device can do it but you have to use adb commands and dig into stuff to set it all up

Buy Librem 5 or Pine Phone

I'll take what are laptops, tablets and hybrids for 200 Alex.

you dont see anything about it because android isnt made for desktop use, anyone who has used android with a mouse knows how horrible it is

I'm using android x86 right now. It's much better than Windows, but still sucks because it doesn't have most useful desktop software.

Literally any rooted smartphone with Linux Deploy does the same thing.

androidpolice.com/2019/03/14/freeform-windows-can-be-enabled-in-android-q-without-hacks/

Already doing it on my Note8.
But many people say its useless, because they fear to admit the spend 2K$ on hardware that a 500$ phone can do the same.

Attached: canvas.png (640x360, 521K)

based and green pilled

Whats the minimum android version and specs to do this flawlessly? assuming full keyboard,mouse,monitor

You need a high end samsung or huawei device and a usb c to hdmi cable. That's it.

possible but needs work
you need this to see a stream, in can be setup over network and even then it was a low latency
github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy

then for the physical keyboard you need to create a profile for it, given the nature of linux some or most programs use win/ctrl/alt for specific commands those collide with Android commands so you will need to change them or remove them.

After that use what ever chroot you like more or setup your own software directly onto it. if its a chroot you may need xdsl server that will run your X11 directly onto your phone rather than a vnc connections

Android Nougat and version
above have free form window mode that you can use and change the dpi for larger screen

Lol you can hook up keyboard/mouse via usb and even hdmi via usb as well on most new phones (chromecast if you don't have otg for hdmi)

This, a desktop UI on phone is solution to a problem I've had for years.
Most of the things I do is document editing, carrying a phone+fordable keyboard + chromecast can turn any monitor into fully fledge desktop.
And if I need more power I have VPS running debian I can just ssh into it and do the heavy jobs.

Sorry didnt phrase that right. i meant what OS are the choices to have a "desktop" feel, seems like theres multiple ways depending on phone brands and services. if i wanted ubuntu desktop for example what do

Based. even 2 year old phones can do it apparently with the taskbar app with and that feature.