Reposting because I fucked up and posted on /v/

Reposting because I fucked up and posted on /v/

The thing with video is that a frame cannot be compressed beforehand. You need to know what the next frame (at least) is like in order to know what parts of the current frame you can compress. This is one of the reasons why video rendering takes so long, it's hard as shit to optimize.

Comparing Google's console with Netflix is retarded. Netflix can compress their videos and optimize them. But with a video game, you can't know what the players are going to do, so you can't know what the next frame is going to be.

This means that the size of a frame will be fuckhuge. About 3-5 MB per 4K frame and I'm being generous. If you're playing at 60 fps, that's up to 300 MB per second. This is up to 0.6-1 TB per play-hour. It's literally impossible to have a high quality frame at 4K with a size smaller than 3 MB.

Anyone here working on image compression to share their thoughts?

Attached: skynews-google-controller_4613749.jpg (2048x1152, 98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shadow.tech/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_compression_picture_types
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

People are stupid and will put up with double digit lag if it means they don't have to pay in full for video games for the short time they're relevant.
You ever notice how disposable new games are these days? If they're not multiplayer they're practically ignored and multiplayer is only relevant for 3-4 months until the servers are barren and abandoned.

Then how does livestream compression work? Or the nvidia service that already exists?

It's called video encoding /v/irgin, not image compression

They are entirely brute forcing this. Didn't you read about it at all?

Livestream compression looks pretty bad. I can't imagine playing a game with the same quality of a football game. And I think I'm not the only one who expects their games to look crisp.

What do you have to gain by arguing semantics? Besides, anything that reduces the file size of something is compressing it.
Until now everyone agrees it’s going to look like a livestream. I don’t think people are going to accept that except the uttermost turbonormies

The point I'm making is that you literally think they're compressing the images without utilizing any context of past frames

That's wrong, and proves you're a dumbass that has no right to be weighing in on this matter. The fact that you don't even know video encoding is a thing that exists disqualifies you from making this thread on Jow Forums. Run on back over to /v/ kiddo.

Live events and streams are buffered. They have a lag that would be very noticeable if you're controlling the game.

Nvidia's service? Its encoding, this is nothing new

Why does it all need to be streamed?
Send a bare-bones client version of the game and keep the gameplay logic computed on the server.

The bandwidth wouldn't be a problem if ISPs weren't one of the most jewish companies in existence.

The gameplay logic is not the resource intensive part of high-end video games.

Why do games need to be so resource intensive?
Graphical fidelity does absolutely nothing to improve gameplay.

It's a service for high fidelity games, user

then how this shit works ?
shadow.tech/

Because normalfags need their games to look like real life to pretend they have one.

>The thing with video is that a frame cannot be compressed beforehand. You need to know what the next frame (at least) is like in order to know what parts of the current frame you can compress.
I'm not aware of any video format that works like that.

I think it's pretty common for modern video codecs to use both previous and next frames in their compression algorithm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_compression_picture_types

Ah, I'd forgotten about that.
Nevermind.

Now you can play videogames with acceptable graphics with entry-level processors. What is the need for this crap?

It will be 480p/720p

Encoding =/= compression
Encoding can compress raw video, but there's more too it than your /v/irgin brain can handle KYS

More to it*

There is a fucking delay you mongrels.