RAM is so expensive, why not just use an SSD? You can get 1 TB for $100, imagine having 1 TB of memory

RAM is so expensive, why not just use an SSD? You can get 1 TB for $100, imagine having 1 TB of memory

Attached: 11dce889a554ab3a295840.jpg (1280x960, 64K)

Are you serious? Different memory technologies geard with different pros and cons for different usage.
Plus the problem isn't price, the components cost the same much to produce.

wtf are you gonna do with 1TB of memory?
RAM is designed to be written on over and over and over and over. Pretty sure the SSD will start failing if you try to use it as dedicated RAM

u wot m8

Attached: 1494480523235.png (782x1021, 330K)

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (600x600, 32K)

If you somehow patched your kernel to use an SSD as memory how fast would it die off?

Dude you don't even need RAM, just buy a WD Blue for $40 and have 1TiB of swap space

Attached: 1551735747532.gif (900x500, 285K)

Slow as shit compared to ram. Would burn through write cycles in days.

Have you not heard of swap/pagefile?
It'll still take a fair while to die, but it'll also be slow as fuck.

An ssd will break in days if used as ramdisk

I don't think you understand what RAM is. Also it isn't expensive at all.

did you ever take a look at a sata cable and a ram stick?
then you should have seen that there is a big difference in parallel lanes, which (what a surprise) enable parallel data transfer.
so this means already the connection is a reason a ssd would be *much* slower

Post the most brainlety wojack you got

Pic is OP.

Attached: 1523848932754.png (1300x2000, 288K)

kek

I thought optane and some of the samsung pro nvme drives in raid are as fast as like ddr2 or something, the problem is wear, the memory isnt designed to be used that way.

Its like using a saw blade for metal on concrete etc, sure it might work (technically), but you are going to wear that fucker out.

Attached: 1538936742528.png (500x375, 32K)

The world should just fix it so that ram doesn't cost so much.

SSDs are too slow so I actually have 1TB of RAM set up as RAMdisk for most accessed files and 125 TB of SSDs for other stuff.

For actual RAM usage in traditional sense, though, I find that 128 GB DDR4 SDRAM is plenty.

How's freshman year treating you?

Kek

/thread

What if it was raid 0 NVME array with like 5 disks?

wiws

i used a normal hard drive with swap memory for years, you wont ever cap out of memory and whats even better, your computer wont freeze.