/spg/ - Smartphone General

I'm an adult edition.

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/sQbs83pY

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: xiaomi-black-shark-2-1.jpg (650x650, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/heCsWo0bLwc
youtu.be/WT7f6KY7BX8
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_4_might_replace_the_compact_line_will_have_a_219_screen-news-36104.php
en.miui.com/thread-3852597-1-1.html
xda-developers.com/xiaomi-poco-f1-mi-8-pro-4k60fps-video-recording-miui-beta/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What does it transform into?

What is the battery on the OP6 vs. OP6T?

I wanna upgrade from the Honor 8 but the OP6T's lack of back fingerprint, headphone jack, and still ~$450 price keep pushing me away.
If I could get a mint OP6T for cheap and know i'd have something for the next 4-5 years I'd be fine, but I just know the OP7 is gonna keep all the bad design decisions from the 6T and then make it worse with an unmappable google assist button and a retarded pop up camera that will become less reliable with years, especially with the small motor draining the matter and being liable to break. Read that all other pop up models only have 15K "guaranteed" uses, which doesn't give me confidence.

Attached: 1508302254053.jpg (768x768, 93K)

S10+fags where you at???

Pussy repellant

Attached: 1529596422921.gif (500x500, 256K)

Trying to not stare at the oval hole in their displays.

>SD820 still sufficient for pretty much everything other than the latest gaymes
>Stock config throttles hard because LG got burnt from the 808 on the V10/G4/Nexus 5X
>Screen gets pretty bad ghosting if you don't root and install a custom kernel with KCAL to recalibrate the screen. Related to heat since the screen is a heatsink for the SoC.
>Quad DAC is really nice if you have a decent set of cans or IEM.
>LG pushes like 2 updates a year, I'm still on Nougat since I can't be fucked to upgrade, might reconsider when Pie comes around
>Ticker screen is surprisingly useful, better than the full screen AoD on later phones.

Seething

any cons for the mix 2s?
I'm currently looking into it since rn7p is currently being sold at almost the same price range

Note 9 is perfection, friend.

Motorized pop-up cameras are terminally retarded. What I'm wondering is, why are these solutions all so clunky? The manual slide solution looks sleek, but get dust in there and it might get to be a problem.

I've got the solution, check it out:
Boom, done. That's a half-page ad right there, I even put the diversity right in so that they can steal the design and presentation easier. Put a soundtrack of some barely literate mumbling crack fiend on in the background, and you've got yourself a 15 second television ad.

Attached: 1527447457726.png (416x314, 11K)

Interesting idea but I think the hinge would be more bulky than a second camera. Also more fragile. The only benefit of this design is no notch.

Attached: tenshi corndog.jpg (500x500, 93K)

shit's thin enough as it is and it's a pretty interesting looking design, I'd take it over a retarded notch any day

how is the camera module supposed to be connected to the rest of the phone while it's flipped upwards?

>The manual slide solution looks sleek, but get dust in there and it might get to be a problem.

Slider phones existed for decades and nobody had any issues with them ever. The dust and skin grease would form a nasty grease on the inside, but thats doesnt break anything.
Slider smartphones with a qwerty keyboard used to be a normal thing and no the mechanism was just fine.

Motorized solutions however, i would expect them to wear out in a year or two.

The most obvious solution both mechanically reliable and compact would be a simple automatic pen mechanism.
>Press on it
>Click - pops out
>Push back in
>Click its inside
They probably don't do it because that would feel cheap, but thats the best possible option.

ribbon cable would do the job

It's a little bit dated, probably bad on updates? I don't know. I came here to ask about Xiaomi, myself. My question is basically: is it safe to buy a Chinese-owned phone?

I need a phone and thought the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro looked excellent, it takes good photos and actually has a low-light night mode, unlike any of the other cheaper manufacturers. I was considering a Nokia 8.1, not sure I can live with the wide notch though, but otherwise it seems fine. Except for one detail: no camera night mode. It even has optical stabilization, android one, but no night mode.

Internal cables through the hinge attachment points or something. I'm not an engineer, I'm sure they could make it. If they have space for a whole assembly with rails, a motor and stuff to make a camera pop up, I'm sure have space for a hinge to flip one from the back.

>Slider phones existed for decades and nobody had any issues with them ever.
I am aware. I don't think they were waterproof, though. As for the clicking, that's what I was thinking. But from the back, to use that camera. Saves on camera budget, and gives you a better image. Looks retarded, but so does any pop-up camera.

(I'm going to bed, so no more replies from me)

>Motorized camera is retarded
>Literally never use a front camera ever
Actually sounds good to me.
I wouldn't mind having a phone without a camera at all. Even the rear one, so a phone woth a motorized camera sounds fine for me.

>I don't think they were waterproof, though

I never had issues using my non-waterproof phones in the rain, other than wet touchscreen acting weird.

Although i never had to make a call or take a selfie underwater, if you are one hell of a diver perhaps you might want that feature

Also, it has to be noted that I was joking with the click from the back camera. But then I thought: you know what, it isn't that bad actually.

Yeah, but it's a really stupid design. From any angle you approach it. Durability, appearance, practicality. It's really, really dumb.

I don't know, just concerns. Slider is fine I guess, but you've gone from a solid brick to two moving parts, and it's not a good direction to go just for a front camera.

Attached: 1542107340600.gif (357x281, 2.99M)

>Slider is fine I guess, but you've gone from a solid brick to two moving parts, and it's not a good direction to go just for a front camera.

Perhaps, but you know whats worse?
Cutting a nothc or a hole in a display for the useless camera.

A smart decision would be just to keep the fucking chin with speaker, sensors and components in it.

An even smarter decision would be to ditch the camera entirely, but we don't live in a perfect world.

How's GCam on the Nokia 6.1? Does it really improve anything quality-wise or is it just more snake oil, haven't bothered with smartphone cameras before but my DSLR broke

danm, the /a/ thread was fun
rip

It's snake oil perpetuated by pajeets

>but my DSLR broke
Smartphone cameras will always stay artphone tier.

If your DLSR broke then get it repaired or get yourself a new mirrorless camera and don't even think about smartphones.

I don't like the s9 firmware update. What can I do about it?

this would make for an ugly dated design. Why not just use the motorized pop-up design but make it spring-loaded instead? It would pop-in and out just like the s pen on the note when you press it down.

Bezelless displays are never going to be more comfortable than two bezels at the top and bottom for holding and griping your phone withlut accidental touching on the screen

Attached: HakaiShin.gif (847x432, 1.37M)

Anyone know a good way to shortcut developer options settings?

that was a cute thread

redmi note 4 bros, what custom rom's the best right now?

Is there any good reason / noticeable advantage to use a custom rom for my redmeme note 7 if I'm happy with miui + poco launcher?

Attached: 1469511344970.gif (750x500, 569K)

Get the OP7 faggot
front fingerprint is good shit.
>retarded pop up camera that will become less reliable with years, especially with the small motor draining the matter and being liable to break. Read that all other pop up models only have 15K "guaranteed" uses, which doesn't give me confidence.
you like notchshit? It's the best solution since people won't go back to bezels now
also unless you're an instathot you won't use your front camera enough times to break it or drain the battery
literal nigger

>SD820
fuck that shit, the 810/820 chips are trash
they bootlooped my phones and rendered them unfixable.

kek

Incredibly based.

Get a better phone

Based

I refuse to believe this... Both are exynos btw

Attached: comparison.png (1427x378, 436K)

>I refuse to believe this...
Which part exactly? In pretty much all battery tests I've seen the S10e scores higher than the regular S10.

>buy HTC u11 flagship® phone just to be the kewl different dude
>700 deutscheuros
>no S-OFF
>no good ROMs
>nobody bothers, ROMs get cancelled because nobody uses this phone
>only ROMs available are literal pajeet tier 'LeETh4X VIP4er' bullshit
> squeeze frame is nonsense

Two years later
>buy used OT3T for 130 bucks on rbay
>all ROMs in the world
>lineageos with microG
>headphone jack
>faster snappier and lighter then U11 despite two cores less and older model
>all is good

Fuck

I rarely notice it, desu.

any news?

Attached: F(x)tec Pro^1.jpg (1219x1000, 72K)

>My question is basically: is it safe to buy a Chinese-owned phone?
Chinese owned? Virtually every piece of technology is "Chinese owned" at this point. Xiaomi devices with custom ROMs are the way to go. By the way, the Redmi Note 7 Pro goes on sale in China this Friday. Nothing has been said about the global release yet.

>It's snake oil perpetuated by pajeets
Sure thing retard.
youtu.be/heCsWo0bLwc
youtu.be/WT7f6KY7BX8

I don't think any are available yet, so you don't have a choice at the moment.

What's the best Camera app?

Attached: 1550102843777.jpg (959x959, 149K)

808/810 is trash, 820 is fine.

I need phone

I don't know the name for it, but whatever controls the focus on the rear camera of my s9+ by moving back and forth gets stuck and every time I open the camera app I have to hold my phone screen side down until the thing recedes back into place with an audible click and then the camera will focus, until I close the app and reopen it again
how fucked am I if I try to get this fixed or replaced? will it be fully covered? I don't want a refurbished piece of shit and really I don't want to replace it at all since I have everything painstakingly configured even though I got the phone only in december

As a guy who uses an APS-C mirrorless, I would like to say that the quality of the GCam images is incredible, considering the hardware. I'm using a Redmi Note 5.

Just spent half a day unbricking my phone because i somehow was able to overwrite my recovery and now I have to use a 1 year old backup because all my other ones got corrupted. Can I have 1 (one) (you) please?

Attached: 1540849758096.jpg (1400x1400, 422K)

Should be covered by warranty unless the phone has signs of external damage like dents or cracks. Before you send it in try a factory reset, just to rule out it being a software issue (doesn't sound like it though).

I just don't want to have to go through the bullshit of reconfiguring and redownloading everything again, not to mention losing the expensive screen protector I have on the thing

Getting it repaired already just figured now might be as good as ever to try something out with my phone camera
Thanks I guess I will give it a shot

It's definitely not going to replace your DSLR, but Gcam will make your phone camera like ten times better. That's an exaggeration, of course, but HDR+ is just that much better compared to your stock camera app.

Just fuck off man, you still look at Samshit phones? Fucking hell.

Sorry, but you're gonna have to send it in if you want it fixed.

cursed image

fixed or replaced?
how do I know what it will end up as?

yes, s10e is very cute :^)

Attached: s10e_cute.jpg (1200x800, 121K)

I'd assume what they'd do to try to fix it is replace the camera sensor, rather than replacing the whole phone. They only replace the phones if whatever is wrong can't be fixed by repair.

>Which part exactly?
There is so much conflicting information, especially with exyshitnos version.

how do I stop them from being able to look at my email or hentai or whatever if I send it in for repair

>camera hole
nothing beats the beauty of the S9 phones

>leaked pixel 4.png

You back up your shit and reset the phone before sending it in.

Does anyone know how to fix this? It's a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with LineageOS 15.1 installed. This happens whenever I receive a notification. The blue square changes to orange when it charges. I initally thought it had something to do with my charging port as my previous one broke and I replaced it, but it did not solve anything. I also wiped and restored backups and it didn't work

Attached: IMG_20190320_205200[1].jpg (3968x2976, 1.46M)

sup, niggas? What do you think of the xperia 4?
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_4_might_replace_the_compact_line_will_have_a_219_screen-news-36104.php

Attached: gsmarena_002(2).jpg (727x361, 41K)

Pros:
>great camera
>optic stabilization
>4k 60fps
>stereo speakers
>samsung DeX
>3.5 jack

Cons:
>curved screen
>huge top and chin

Should I buy it, guys?

Attached: file.png (1272x919, 301K)

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. It's the new compact phone from Sony though it's rumored to have a SD710.

Yuropoor here. I literally use phone only for calls, messages, podcasts and GPS. I need something durable and reliable with a headphone jack. I strongly prefer Android One or near-stock Android.

Currently looking at:
Moto G7
Moto G7 Power
Nokia 7.1
Nokia 6.1
Sony XA2
Sony XA2 Plus

Thoughts?

Attached: improved diving apparatus.jpg (2200x3156, 1.24M)

exynos battery life is terrible

>21:9
>more midrange
not really compact at that point, is it? And probably less of a deal than xz2c specwise. Hope it at least has a headphone jack.

The xperias are overpriced shit. The nokias the most durable phones if thier back is metal, but the newer ones with glass back are not (nokia 7.1, though 6.1 is alright). I'm not sure about the Motorolas, but I'd avoid the G7 as its battery is small and would consider the Xiaomi Mi A2 (Redmi 6 Pro).

So I have an iPhone X which I find great. I'd like to also try crappy Android. What phone do you recommend that I can play with? Price is not a factor.

Attached: bibi_nyan3.jpg (999x1249, 82K)

but that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid
I spent hours disabling bloatware and configuring stuff when I first got the phone and don't want to do it all over again

The Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2 is another good budget option. It has near stock android and a 5000mAh battery. I personally went with the Redmi Note 7 but I understand that the software situation might be a deal breaker for you.

I don't really see any other way forward if you want the focus issue fixed. You could try going to the settings and clearing the data and cache for the camera app, but I doubt that'll do much.

Pocophone with LineageOS

>5.7" meme aspect ratio
>compact

Attached: pd,x400,macbook_air_13-bg,ffffff.u1.jpg (558x400, 35K)

What are the "trusted" community roms and rom sites these days?
I'm in China and about to buy a replacement phone, my last phone was a snowflake Samsung that never got custom roms, I want to choose better but still have a bunch of feature demands (dual sim, no hybrid).

Attached: BLOG_EN_2905_Heres-How-Android-Users-Can-Detect-Spyware.jpg (800x374, 57K)

I got my Pocophone but I'm not sure how to opt into the Beta in order to get the 1080p60 video recording. Google isn't really helping. Can an user point me in the right direction?

I know it's not software related, the thing that controls the focus gets stuck and it only recedes by holding it so it's facing upward for long enough with the camera turned out so it gets unstuck and falls back into place
since this is a manufacturer warranty thing instead of damage insurance through my carrier how exactly do I go about claiming it?

Use Open Camera. There's also a Magisk module to enable it.

>edge screen
>beauty

en.miui.com/thread-3852597-1-1.html

Oneplus 5T for 350€, 6 for 400€ or 6T for 500€? Which would you say is the best value? Is the extra cost for the 6T really worth it?

Attached: 1523943845024.png (934x1500, 738K)

5T, obviously.
SD835 is fucking good, plus no notchshit.
At that price difference, it's a no brainer. Get the 5T and upgrade when the 8T comes out or something.

>have MotoG3
>use it for 3-4 years
>volume down doesn't work very well
>typing is slow and somewhat innacurate
>can't have many notifications on

Is it time to change? What should I get with at least the same specs cheap?
MotoG4/5? Huawei?

I don't want to fiddle with it or wait 2 months for a Chinese phone that has chinese locked features OS and needs configuration and rooting. Just a pleb machine, ready out of the box with Android 7/8.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 64K)

What's the difference with Chinese versions of phones (no simlock)? I'm seeing a Nokia 8.1 here for 310€ which seems like a pretty fucking good deal? Am I missing something?

love my 6t. upgraded from the nexus 6p. The thing lasts 2 days on battery and i can sometimes get 3 days

Different LTE bands.

If you get chinese you might get worse 4g performance, or even no signal in some places

Thanks, though I'd read that something had been released either this month or last, but this thread is from September of last year..

The thread is just to show how to switch from stable MIUI to Beta MIUI. 4K/60fps and 1080/60fps was added to the beta a few weeks ago:
xda-developers.com/xiaomi-poco-f1-mi-8-pro-4k60fps-video-recording-miui-beta/

you need the plus, more memory better camera

there are load, read the thread and stop being lazy you faggot.

Ah, great. Thanks user.

OnePlus 6 is worth the extra 50€ over the 5T, but don't think OP6T is worth 100€ over the 6..

Should I get the XZ2 Compact(380e) or the S9(450e)?

What are the pros and cons?