2019 WINDOWS FLICKER thread (because you demanded it)

Do you ever say to yourself.. Gee whiz.. why are the icons on the taskbar always flickering in windows 10????

wait..... i know the answer..
windows performs a redraw of the icons when a SHChangeNotify call is made to shell32, specifically either SHCNE_ASSOCCHANGED or SHCNE_UPDATEIMAGE, as outlined here: docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/shlobj_core/nf-shlobj_core-shchangenotify

This looks like shit and its amazing this issue persists. Now take a look at microsoft 'support' forums. Ouch.. here's a complaint about the issue from 2009 (LOL, 10 years ago) 'Taskbar Flickering constantly. How do I make it stop?'. A more recent one has a Top answer from windows Expert 'A. User' suggesting to run 'sfc /scannow' to solve the problem!

no one is behind the wheel of the ship at the windows division of microsoft, or even microsoft in general. really sad stuff

Attached: be8cb4d95d2cd0eb8b6cc806a9dc9ec11130917766f40ccf7ae98a5ed2d5b15f.gif (329x335, 382K)

Does anyone know how can I get unsigned ActiveX plugins to install on Win 10? Or do I have to roll back to Win7 or even XP?

How do I unsubscribe

Get mental help

Works on my machine™

this less of an issue than Windows 10 shockingly bad virtual workspaces.

Regardless of hardware windows 10 will often fail to switch workspaces unless you delay your click while moused over juuuuust right.
And then the animation won't draw the screen properly, creating a very jarring animation in between.

I just switched to xubuntu and it's insane how virtual workspaces just work.
How did MS fuck this up?

The real question is how did MS fuck up search that bad, when I type calc or cmd I don't expect device manager to show up...

you gotta fix their default search indexer or get something that actually works oob like Launchy
In fact, even classic shell helps with this, pretty sad you have to fix this stupid shit yourself when the OS is supposed to be easy to use for "non-tech" people

what are they thinking?

I think is a better habit to just use Ctrl+Win+Arrows

Also you can configure a gesture to do so, like in my laptop if I swipe the touchpad with three fingers, it swipes through workspaces, its very natural

There are parts of Windows code wherein no devs dare to dwell.

Attached: cdc.jpg (577x537, 33K)

Attached: w10 search.gif (330x670, 1.02M)

Classicshell fixes this.

>Do you ever say to yourself.. Gee whiz.. why are the icons on the taskbar always flickering in windows 10????
No, because I don't have Windows 10.

Why is this such a big deal? I understand bringing it up as an issue, but you make it sound as if it's urgent and makes the operating system unusable.

This shit again. Shit blog. Remove yourself immediately.

Werks on my machine™

Windows 7 doesn't have this problem.

Attached: System.png (1631x931, 181K)

Your PC must be fucking slow to flicker like that. What's this? Some 200 MHz Pentium?

based

> What's this? Some 200 MHz Pentium?
go into your local computer store, find the one with the best specs, and try the demo in the OP's gif. it will flicker in the exact same way.

Is that really "flickering"?
But yes I have the issue at times it's pretty annoying, the desktop and taskbar will keep refreshing every few seconds for a bunch of times

i dont really know what to call it exactly. flickering seems to infer its a graphics card issue, which it isnt. but, 'flashing' makes someone think the issue being described is when an application tries to alert you its doing something so it flashes orange or whatever.

I actually noticed this because I always have the taskbar autohide unless hovering over the screen.
Anyhow, op is autistic. I remember playing along and posting this pasta from 2 separate wifi networks and mobile data within the span of 5 minutes, though. That was fun.

*never noticed this

i dont think browsers even support activex anymore

Internet Explorer 11

>Be me
>GNU+Linux user
>At university
>Sit down at Windows 10 library PC
>Want to get to my documents folder
>Search "documents" in Microsoft (TM) Start (TM) Menu (TM)
>...
>No results
10/10 operating system

Attached: 1552023526236.png (957x621, 572K)

>i dont really know what to call it exactly.
technically it's refreshing simple as that

Hey anyone know and apps I can download to replicate this feature on my macbook?

as a software developer, I'm flaggerbasted about the windows 10 search function. I literally wrote an app that does a better job at instantly finding stuff on my pc in one mother duckling day.

There is literally zero excuse to not being able to find stuff in the start menu. It's like it's bad on purpose, I just can't figure out what.

Also that shit when you type "control panel" on a fresh install, and the first result is the settings app.
No, motherfucker, I want the control panel because the settings app is incapable of doing what I need.

ngl it's pretty awful, the only way to make win10 usable even as a facebook machine is to pin manually all the stuff you use to either the start menu or taskbar and ALSO edit quick access with all the folders you use frequently

Also share you app

Attached: 1490824414431.jpg (320x180, 19K)

do it more, i'm going to be offering a moderately sized scholarship fund for reposters of this pasta

the app was just a tiny project on uni, it just indexed a bunch of folders (like the start menu...)

I use "launchy" to launch apps, and "everything" to find any file in 1 second.

"Everything" is the perfect example. 1MB app, consuming 50mb of ram and zero cpu, it indexes in a couple of seconds, and finds anything on your pc in literally one second or less.

Windows search is consumes at least 10x the ram, 10000000x cpu and doesn't find shit.

Okay thank you, i'm trying them out, they seem to be handy and lightweight, too bad no UI integration

I've always had issues with Windows 7 search, but the Windows 10 search works fine for me.

Attached: 02f.jpg (655x527, 59K)

lol

Put it on GitHub user, it sounds cool.
My greatest coding achievement was writing a battery meter for dwm that drained the battery by constantly checking the battery.
Maybe I should go work for Microsoft.

Attached: 1552174313218.jpg (658x901, 41K)

checked, op is autistic

Try Wox instead of Launchy. It's integrated with Everything, has nice plugins, and is still being supported

Everything seems like fucking magic after years of being subjected to w*Ndows search

>this faggot again
nobody cares about your pc specs

I imagine people literally die if they look at the Direct3D 5 source code.

have sex

have sex

see

see

no thanks. i'm a proud incel

You know you're one character away from being a company that makes CPUs with a shitton of holes, don't ya?
That's no thing to be proud of.

Out of all of the problems Windows has THIS is what you latch onto? A flickering taskbar?

L M A O
M
A
O

You idiots don't understand.

Try having 2 monitors and putting the taskbar on the right side of the main display, then connecting the second monitor so it goes to the right of the first. Watch Windows literally spaz the fuck out for 10 minutes cause it doesn't know what to do with your taskbar, freeze and crash every single time. This bug is entirely repeatable and using your taskbar on the side of your screen can't be that fringe of a case.

This is what I mean by There are actual giant fucking glitches, all repeatable, that could be easily fixed for Windows 10, but apparently you're just not supposed to actually use any of the "features" they've added since Windows 95 or something. It literally doesn't fucking work unless you intend to do the most basic, fucking normie expected tasks on it and nothing more.

this thread survives 24 hours because its so true

Doesn't flicker in any of my builds unless you go frame by frame. Only in slow ass shit where the refresh takes a long time has this problem like in OPs gif where each icon intaskbar takes different time to load, classic definition of slow. If your icons becomes mostly invisible while continously refreshing, chances are you have the flickering problem.

why not use 8.1 then if 10 has bugs?

use linux :)

>Taskbar flickers once every several months
>have to make a thread about it

Just shows how great windows 10 is. Meanwhile, Apple computers don't even have working keyboards. Rather have a taskbar flicker so rarely I didn't even know it did, than a broken computer.

It's the users fault more, vote with your feet and change OS

>using icons
>ever
pleb

Why do you have edge faggot? Install enterprise edition asap

>This soviet cunt again
Fuck off

I have never encountered any of the problems you have mentioned.
>meanwhile on gnoo slash loonie toonix
>OH NO WHY ARE YOU POSTING THIS FOR THAT IS UNCALLED FOR SIR YOU FUCKING WINPAJEET HAHA PAJEET *pop* NOOO MY NEOVAGINA

Attached: J0FSqA1.png (644x346, 40K)

>Do you ever say to yourself.. Gee whiz.. why are the icons on the taskbar always flickering in windows 10????
never had that problem in all my time using windows 10 (since launch).

Werks on my machine™

Attached: bill-gates_1444803c.jpg (460x287, 15K)

WINFAGS BTFO