forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21514

Attached: 776798.png (512x511, 330K)

Other urls found in this thread:

neocities.org/like
spyware.neocities.org/guides/palemoon.html
forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21626
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Palemoon
Please don't tell me you use that outdated browser, OP, right?

That guy is right about spyware though, intent of the devs doesn't mean jack shit, it's the actual act of spying that makes it spyware. Not sure why he wrote a full length essay including dictionary definitions trying to disprove that.

Literally just one person shilling that shitty neocities website

Wrong, it's anything but outdated.

He wrote that lengthy essay specifically for people like who still refuse (or don't want to) understand what spyware actually is/means.

So he thinks spyware is only spyware when the devs specifically intended for it to spy on people? Even the dictionary definitions he quoted disagree with him about that

Instead of arguing about the actual topic (privacy-violating non-explicitly-authorized network requests), they started arguing about the definition of the word "spyware". What a waste. The fault for that lies on both parties. No one should care what a word commonly means as long as everyone communicating *understands* what it means when used in the discussion. Words do not have innate meanings and dictionaries merely document the historically common usage. By devolving into a definition argument, they just failed to hold a discussion about the original subject.

Nope that's not what he says but carry on misrepresenting his reasoning.

>No, your definition is not correct. Spyware is intentionally malicious. Browsers sending user agent information to servers (as an example) isn't inherently malicious.
That's literally what he said, are you reading the same topic as me?
Yeah I was just about to post about how dumb arguing using dictionary definitions is, especially computer-related ones that are constantly changing, you said it perfectly though.

When someone calls OCSP & Geolocation as spywares then discussing with him any further is a waste of time.

I dont give a shit about what that furfag thinks.
Keep in mind he is a total asshat and and because of them we had that entire open bsd issue.
Also a comment in the forum:
> Isneocities.org/like Geocities from the early 90's? FFS, you'd think they at least buy a domain from some company like Namecheap and host a web page with WordPress at least.
> wordpress
I already hate them

>I defaulted people to a website that tracks you
>what's the big deal XD?
Palemoon is trash and so is it's dev. Kys.

>Calling it "spyware" certainly won't get us more patrons, so in the end the article is actively harming our project. Thanks, dude. Really appreciate your support for FOSS.
Sounds like he got called out on being a spyware spreader and now is crying about it. If palemoon wasn't shit maybe it would get more donations. Who the fuck would donate to a project that serves you ads?

>Search suggestions from a privacy-respecting search engine are considered bad.
DuckDuckGo isn't privacy respecting.

spyware is so easy to put into webpages
even the most anal of autists who disable JS will still be tracked down like a fucking dog
>pic related

Attached: spyware.png (400x89, 5K)

> allowing 3rd party requests

It doesn't make any unsolicited requests given a blank startpage. That's good enough for me.
It should also be noted, that Spyware Watchdog offers a mitigation guide (just like they do for FF, just way shorter) after which they themselves label it as "Not Spyware" by their definition.
spyware.neocities.org/guides/palemoon.html

>using outdated version of Firefox

>opinions of an asshole furfag
>not irrelevant

>what is umatrix

Palemoon is slow garbage.
Even in comparison to SJWFox and Google Botnet.

>The browser is sending information to you and third parties without properly disclosing it to users and providing easy to understand options to disable it, before it can take effect. The privacy policy is hidden at the bottom of the page and even still doesn't explain how to disable all of the stuff it talks about, so you have to find it for your self between the GUI and about:config. It's Spyware.

>Nobody would be surprised about anything my article had to say if the browser would explain itself in the first place. If you actually put the privacy policy in the installer instead of hiding it at the bottom of the page, and let people make choices about these features, they wouldn't "discover" what Pale Moon is doing from my article. I could remove all discussion of these features, because they would be "opt-in" instead of "opt-out", no longer spyware.
furrfag BTFO

>palemoon

Outdated crappy browser

>spyware watchdog

That dude really needs a psychiatric help.

>botnet

Poorfags favourite meme.

Ah, classic Moonchild.

Attached: Palemoon_Spyware_Watchdog.png (947x319, 37K)

How are they wrong though? Fetching websites is the purpose of a browser, sure you might not want to connect to a furfags website on opening your browser but that's still not spyware.

I think Palemoon sucks ass, but so does that spyware.neocities site. Fuck em both.
Doesn't it lag behind in Firefox security patches?

>DuckDuckGo isn't privacy respecting.
In what way?
How are contacting their servers for first run page and how is contacting start.me necessary for the browser to function? To me it seems like they aren't necessary but rather optional things that are included by default. It could have a blank first run / start page.

It has diverged sufficiently that it has its own security patches in addition to what's backported from Firefox.

That's pretty problematic since not only do they have to patch all of the applicable Firefox stuff but their own stuff too. And I don't trust their contributors to do that in a timely fashion.

The point of Spyware Watchdog is that a user should have full control and knowledge over the requests a browser makes.
For example
>automatically checks for updates
Not ok.
>checks for updates after the user activates "automatic update checking"
Ok, since it's the user's wish.
Basically he wants a checkbox during the installation process to disable everything mentioned in spyware.neocities.org/guides/palemoon.html and then he's happy.

But don't get me wrong. While I somewhat get Spyware Watchdog, as a developer I wouldn't care about catering to him either. However, he sounds like a reasonable (just somewhat autistic) guy and it shouldn't be too hard to have a proper talk with him. Abruptly ending the discussion - even letting it become a discussion about definitions in the first place - and then throwing in a resulting remark at the very end is simply childish.

Why would you trust an autistic furry over a team of engineers to make a secure browser? Spyware is the least of the issues with PM

>resulting
I don't know why I wrote this instead of insulting.

It is.
Why should anyone have a right to know your location when a web browser is a document reading program and not a navigation/map/GPS program?

The welcome page should be locally hosted.
Why is it so hard to supply a .html file alongside the browser? It's obvious manchild only wants to profit from trackers and ads.
As for the whole DuckDuckGo thing, it's way better to use a distributed search engine like YaCy instead. Including it by default on a browser would surely boost the number of pages it indexes.

why is that spyware site so bad?

>Abruptly ending the discussion - even letting it become a discussion about definitions in the first place - and then throwing in a resulting remark at the very end is simply childish.
He makes money from the start page ads, no wonder he was so quick to close the thread. Can't have anybody making reasonable suggestions like says.
Now he has a locked thread with a dubious claim based on it not being the dictionary definition of "spyware" that he can redirect people to whenever this comes up again, ah well, just another reason to keep away from that shite

Through the act of connecting to a server your IP is revealed and
your IP can then be used to approximate your location. Does this mean any application that connects to a server is spyware? No. Should pale moon be uaing geolocation serbices by default? No, but using them by default doesn't make it spyware, thats fucking retarded.

In a nutshell:
>dev spergs out over spyware.neocities page, a site known for being autistic about privacy
>bunch of forum power-users chime in with shit like "wow that site looks like it's straight from the 90s lol!"
>spyware autist responds, talks about his definition of spyware, gives suggestions on how palemoon could be improved
>dev says that because his definition doesn't match with the dictionary "Further discussion at this point has become completely moot.", and locks the thread based on that (and totally not because following spyware guys suggestions could hurt the devs ad cashflow)

tldr: install google chrome

Yes, but your IP is necessary to connect to the Internet (unless you were to use a VPN or something like Tor), and revealing your approximate location is a side effect you can't prevent.
Geolocation isn't needed for anything, its purpose is to track. Therefore at its core it's a spyware anti-feature.
I'm not saying that people shouldn't be free to use it, but at least disable it by default and give the user a list of privacy-respecting services to choose from before enabling it.

Moonchild more like manchild

>t. google shill

Reminder that Moonchild won't let you install add-ons he doesn't like such as Ad Nauseum or HTTPS Everywhere because he thinks he's better than you

>taking moonchild seriously
he's an autistic furry that hates change and surround himself with gay beta orbiters that shares that sentiment

>In what way?
You do realize it's hosted in US? It also doesn't use HTTP POST.

>that he can redirect people to whenever this comes up again
Already been done
forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21626
>See also the dedicated topic about the claim the browser is supposedly spyware.

Also stickied the thread too, a locked thread that nobody can answer to, so that his retarded "u didn't use the correct definition HAHA i win!" post will always be the last thing people see about the spyware issue, hopefully that should keep some people away from it.

>problematic
>trusting any software
kys reddit abortion

What's wrong with saying that something is problematic? And I didn't mean to imply that I have 100% trust in Firefox but that I trust Palemoon less.

>Palemoon
Why would you use a browser where the dev blocks extensions he doesn't like?

BASED