Will Stadia Kill Consoles?

strawpoll.me/17643937

Attached: skynews-google-controller_4613749.jpg (1600x900, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WZ-Wnc8igDE
youtube.com/watch?v=PdtKyMKJXSw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reminds me of the Steam controller, which is uncomfortable as fuck. Takes many generations to get a controller right.

it will run like shit because people dont have good enough internet connection and will probably be very expensive.

it's DOA, like onlive but with google hype

You're forgetting the Youtube-esque compression algorithms needed to not crush the bandwidth.
If you thought DLSS was bad, you haven't seen anything yet.

It's already been stated that Stadia will be built on YouTube's technology.

Will it though? It's not the actual binary that's streaming. The game will be running on Google's end. You won't even need a good video card. It will essentally be an interactive video stream. A twitch stream you can control.

Will iPhone kill the desktop PC?

Are you retarded? "Streaming the binary"?

It's a normal game streaming service, it's not the first one. It's a existing concept you piece of shit.

And yes it will run like shit you fucking moron. A lot of people have less than 25Mbit/s connections with a ping >30 to Google, not even considering other people using the same bandwidth (siblings etc.).

A fucking 1080p60 stream needs at least (bare minimum) 5Mbit/s. So besides your latency you get like an additional 4ms transmission time.

When i run some gaymes on my pc the actual input lag(without the monitor) is most likely

>A fucking 1080p60 stream needs at least (bare minimum) 5Mbit/s.

5Mbit/s is nothing in most casuals would be perfectly happy with 720p.

This isn't the netflix of gaming. This is the Youtube of gaming, with all the capability and baggage that implies. And it WILL be successful, google will shill this everywhere because they control the browser and they have the resources to make it work (eventually). And normies will eat this shit up because suddenly all you need to game at 60fps 4k is a chromebook and a good internet connection.
This is the worst thing to happen to gaming, EVER. Here's the list of things this is going to kill.

Downloading games.
Consoles.
Games that don't use more system resources than anyone can afford.
Gaming PC hardware, and with it, affordable powerful CPUs and GPUs for consumers.
Possibly even x86 architecture in consumer computers as a result.
Flash/browser games, which this thing is coming out NOW in order to replace.
Games that last longer than the developer/publisher wants them to.
Games that don't have to follow some vague yet strongly enforced "community guidelines".
Games that run on hardware you can buy.
The idea that games could be something you own.
T and M rated online interactions in T and M rated multiplayer games.

Absolutely. Here's proof

Attached: 1553022299022.webm (752x398, 1.44M)

lag

I don't know which is less efficient: to stream the game each time you want to play it or to sell you fuckhuge graphics cards only to play Minecraft and League of Legends.

Except it wont because the speed of light is too slow for no perceptible input lag gaming, which basically 95% of all games require.

I like the idea and the fact that google is backing it makes me feel confident that this will suceed.

If I can play league of legends on my PIxelbook, windows is gone. (Still use MacOS for video editing)

>A lot of people have less than 25Mbit/s connections
Jesus christ, America is once again left behind in tech and therefore slowing progress for everyone else.

Why did they not use the xbox stick format? Unless you're a child or have manlet hands, having both your thumbs so close is just bad design.

>Reminds me of the Steam controller, which is uncomfortable as fuck
Steam Controller is the most comfortable one I've ever used.

It's actually a german who wrote this.

youtube.com/watch?v=WZ-Wnc8igDE

Attached: lolvidya.png (1281x717, 380K)

>the fact that google is backing it makes me feel confident that this will suceed
Because Google definitely doesn't have a reputation of starting big projects and then completely fucking them up until they get shut down

This guy is letting his hatred get the better of him. In reality Nvidia is a Chad company and Stadia will fail.

>150+ms of input lag
DEAD ON ARRIVAL

That's a funny way to say Dualshock.

On a local demo :)

Only for hardcore twitch gamers. For every other pleb using a potato and mobile phone/tablet it will be great.

All we need is one big shitstorm about the lag and simultaneously PS5 to show up with with superior hardware and games to save the day, similar to how they did it last gen. Except this time Stadia will die.

youtube.com/watch?v=PdtKyMKJXSw

You forgot the 'good enough' for mobile plebs scenario.

5G solves all that.

Wireless Internet on top of all the problems? Boy I can't wait.

>unironically shilling for (((google)))
it will be big issue for everyone but the casualest of casuals because input lag this big is far beyond minor competetive dissadventage and well into mild to big annoyance
I doubt even turn based or strategy games would be popular with this kind of lag

What CPU is it using? Apparently it's not eypc? Amd is only providing the gpu which is a cut down v56 7nm version apparently

Never because latency can't be fixed due to physics at distance. Only way this shit will be viable is if we have quantum entangled router hubs.

quantum entanglement can't be used to violate the speed of light

It's not violating the speed of light, the bits are entangled and have the same spin on either side by being connected via a folded space quantum tunnel. You would have this at two long distance points (say earth/moon, or across the planet), an then the quantum hub is connected to regular connection.

>t. Handlet
Steam controller is the most comfy controller available.

You can't use this to transmit information. You still have to transmit, through conventional means, what happened to one entangled particle so the observer on the other side can make sense of and link their spin characteristics with yours. Entangled particles do have instantaneous effects on one another, but that is not a violation of the speed of light because no information transmission is achieved through that instantaneous effect. It's interesting but useless.

Maybe with current understanding of physics but eventually folded space for data transfer is the only thing that makes sense for long distance contact. Otherwise contact from other planet/colonies would be way too slow.

Let's add more latency to the equation to get a marginal increase in throughput. Because throughput was the biggest problem all along, and definitely not 60+ ms input latency on a good connection.

>it has to be possible because how else would we do impossible things?
Read a book. Preferably one that isn't fiction.

Could you guys give me a rundown for Stadia?

>quantumn telecommunications
So it's fucking gamers and nerds who open the portal to hell to literally play doom eternal ? Event horizon warned us of this!

>20gb a day for 1080p 30fps
>as much delay as a modern console at 2k/4k 30fps around 80-200ms
>uses at least 50mbit for decent picture quality per session
>no prices or subscription model mentioned
>specs of each server are around Vega 56 + Zen 2 Oct core at 3ghz level

i can't even see a correlation between the controller and the visuals

Console babies voting it will not kill it, stop deluding yourself.

It won't be Zen 2...yet. Most likely Intel Xeons.

It will be too laggy.

That's an even funnier way to say the Xbox 360 controller.

Vega + Intel = server fire

>this amount of shilling
holy fuck do you guys at least get paid for this?

-- for example, he hits A 3 times, but the character does nothing but move around a little and jump once

also, what does this have that onlive didn't?
do they think people have better internet connections now? or that the speed of light has improved since then?

Attached: onlive-microconsole.jpg (650x550, 28K)

> And it WILL be successful, google will shill this everywhere
You must not have seen Google fail with this approach a dozen other times. Next failure that was shilled everywhere: Google+. They really wanted that one, but they didn't get it.

Until everyone has a fiber connection, no. Game streaming will never be mainstream until internet infastructure catches up, and if you're a burger, this will unfortunately never happen unless we get another Teddy Roosevelt in office who trust busts these shit internet monopolies like Verizon and Spectrum that keep using local and federal legislation to drive out fiber and competition so they can keep printing money from people who have no choice but to pay an upwards of $100 a month for connection speeds of fucking 10mb/s. I am truly envious of Europoors and Chinks who have proper gigabit speeds for reasonable to stupid cheap prices.

Attached: when the zyklon b hits.jpg (584x960, 57K)

Verizon is shilling 5G, it's already in my town.

Even if everyone has fiber, latencies will remain a thing. The speed of light (on a round trip from input to reaction output) is a limitation that we can't overcome any time soon, and even beyond that the infrastructure also won't be optimized for the lowest possible latency anyhow.

The whole business model behind this also sucks balls. I'm not even sure burgers will fall for it.

well it'll certainly have better connection since google has datacenters everywhere. google has probably been working on latency + decoding/encoding for a while now so there are probably some improvements there too. Probably not enough, but better than everyone else (microsoft, nvidia, etc) when it comes out.

I'm going to question if Google is willing to put up a peak amount of gaming PCs in data centers everywhere so that any of them can handle the nearby gaming.

I bet this won't be terribly economical if a lot of people play, and they'll maybe even connect some games to another timezone.

they probably need more GPUs for compute (non-CUDA) either ways and AMD is generally best for that. They could easily load balance them between compute and gaming.

you know they are using custom boards that take way less space? it's not like they're shoving normal gaming pcs in their datacenters

also netflix compress and looks like shit and look how successful it is, normals don't care
^this
pic related

Attached: actually.jpg (800x450, 139K)

>At least you will be able to play these in third world countries on potatoes.

No. Wait...

Steam controller is literally one of the best controllers ever made. Valve just overestimated how many PC gamers that use controllers rather than keyboard and mouse would be willing to purchase a controller that only works with their PC. The average PC gamer that uses a controller does so because they're also a console gamer and can use their console controller with both platforms. But the average controller player isn't going to drop the equivalent of a AAA game for a controller they can only use on their PC. Had steam boxes been less of a failure in the console market so that it would become the average PC/Console hybrid player's go-to console, then they'd have more than one system to use it with and it would be worth the cost. As it stands, unless you can find one for under $30 second hand, it's still not worth buying when any bog standard generic ps4/xbones controller works great and can be used with a console too

They need to figure out a free scheme for poorfags. Ads, low res, whatever, but if it's free it's going to become popular.

I dunno dude. I stream games from my xbones at 1080p just fine through the xbox app in Windows 10, and PS2/PS3 games without even owning either console through Sony's streaming service and it not only looks pretty decent, but is fully playable. Game streaming is getting better to the point where there are whole services now for you to stream PC games on ultra settings to a damn phone if you've got a controller plugged into it with an OTG cable and the services work well enough for them to charge $20+/month and people are actually paying it. I think Google may stand a chance of this working out, or it's just another Google project that gets hyped and then fails and becomes a tax write-off

Google will have to be super aggressive, MS is launching their service, Sony already has PSnow

i think it will flop but this is unironically the future of games and has always been since i first heard of cloud computing.
not yet, but eventually everything will be played like this.

games are dead, lucky me they creatively died first, so i dont have anything to look forward anyways.

Attached: 1542070553174.jpg (1440x810, 193K)

>streaming
>video games
Won't work. Controller latency alone will fucking kill it.

Also, basically no one can kill Nintendo at this point, so it would be impossible to say that anything can "kill" consoles.

wew, thanks for getting me fired asshole

anytime brotah.

>Takes many generations to get a controller right.
not really, see the playstation
original controller: 1994
dual analog: 1997
dual shock: 1998
ps2: 1999
they perfected their controller before they even had a second console out
all the ps2 controller changed was pressure-sensitive shoulder and face buttons, which were barely used

I'm really not sure where they got that number, honestly. I've got 1Gbps up/850Mbps down and it's only like $70 and I'm forever seeing advertisements for $99 packages with 1Gbps internet, phone and cable TV

>7nm
Its a vega frontier edition. Not 7nm

It could just be Vega 2 60cu cut down to 56
Who the fuck knows you know how rebrandeon rolls

I have a steam controller, the fucking thing barely functions in most games, requiring multiple resets to MAYBE even function.

valved failing with the steam controller was entirely forcing it to only work with the steam ecosystem, If I could profile it outside of steam it would be perfect.

the main failing of onlive was just where it was located, google can move out server farms everywhere, while onlive had maybe 2 cities that were close enough to have great experiences, and not enough money to get the rest.

google is an absolute best case scenario for an onlive like product, if it can't work with them, then it can't work. 1080p60 at least as far as internet is concerned needs sub 10mbit

you can. sc controller

>sc controller
i'm not using linux just to get 1 thing, that as long as I have a wired xbox controller is just an extra, to work correctly.

>tfw we will never get away from 720p

Attached: dfac.jpg (1838x1002, 155K)

oh, you're a windows pleb. my condolences.

Which is why the timing is better now, 5G is coming.

Why on earth would wireless work better than ethernet?

If youre happy with 720p buy a used PC that can run the shit in the first place locally so you dont need to stream

Holy fuck

Probably not but consoles need to die

The hardware is irrelevant, the first release would be like a game console. Thereafter, it will be available to Android phones compatible with 5G.

Of course, Google will release their own Nexus around that time as well.

Google wouldn't have released this if it weren't feasible to use under Google Fiber and Fi, which they're really trying to push and find applications for.

best controller right here

Attached: 617RVccD2NL._SL1200_ easysmx contoller.jpg (1200x1200, 127K)

if latency is higher than 16ms it's unplayable for any sports or FPS game.

why? average latency is 60ms

Not for competitive games on PC it isn't, plenty of people swear by 120+ fps and monitors with the lowest possible latency, if not CRTs, as the only way to play something like CSGO. All together that's maybe a little bit more than 10ms of latency.

>unironically the future of games
Not unless someone can prove tachyons exist and show how to use them for communication.
But at that point causality is fucked, so nothing matters anyways

it will rape the market, prolly killing at least one current competitor. Prolly Snoy or Nu-ntendo.

G00lags are deluded if they think lag wont be an issue

things like skype use UDP, are low data rate and still have lag issues

>game going ok
>sister fires up neetflix
>FPS goes to hell
>G00lag servers adjust
>get 720 frames instead

life is good in the g00lags

That may be many fancy words but I know google wouldn't just spend a shit load of time and money on something they aren't confident about. Stadia will be elite, this I can guarantee you.

>Until everyone has a fiber connection, no
I don't get this.
I live in the countryside of a third world shithole and we have fiber here for a reasonable price. What is wrong with America's internet?

Attached: c7c.png (612x491, 98K)

It's practically impossible to say that Stadia will flop or not. They have the infrastructure, they have the money, but the technical problems are really big. Combine this with the average retarded PC gamer mindset and you'll understand a bit how blindly they went into dark.
Back then everyone was a bit skeptical that movie streaming wouldn't work or wouldn't be popular, and here we are.
Unironically, Stadia could be the solution of Linux gaming and a lot of people would try to use free operational systems knowing that they would still be able to play the game of the year.

Our ISPs have complete control, in some cases we have no choice but to choose the only ISP in our location. I think it was either Kentucky or Tennessee that one city actually installed their own shit but then comcast came in and tore it down through lobbying.

The problem with movie streaming is that they almost never have what I want to watch. I believe Stadia will have the same issue.

This is exactly what I mean. So long as there's options like being able to use the controller from Xbox on PC and Xbox, while steam controller is stuck with just one platform, it's useless. Especially at a $35+ price point. I bought my wired xbones controller for $15 3 years ago and it's still going strong. If Valve re-released it as a standard game controller rather than JUST for SteamOS and steam games, and sold it for $30 or less, it would be the best PC gamepad on the market. As it stands now, it's a complete shit show if you don't run Linux/SteamOS or play games that are only available on steam on Windows. For example, I quite enjoy Fallout 3, NV and 4, but since I purchased 3 and NV outside of steam, I'm SOL if I want to use the steam controller with them, meanwhile it works perfectly with Fallout 4 because I bought that through steam. (Well, technically I bought a steam code for FO4 GOTY for $6 on Kinguin, but still)

Our countryside is 1000 times as large as your cunt