Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1522083964764.jpg (548x551, 220K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html
bugs.archlinux.org/task/62026
xon.sh/
github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium
adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I used Linux for a day and I got lupus.
I enjoyed my time with it, shame about the lupus.

Linux is for trannies. Fuck Linux and fuck trannies.

Is there too much of difference in battery usage between desktop environments?

If so, which is the most battery friendly?

>Fuck Linux
Already have one of those.
>fuck trannies
Where can I get one?

Some autistically minimalistic WM probably. Definitely not KDE or GNOME.

Show me on this anatomically correct doll where the penguin touched you

I just installed arch, what WM should I install? I'm thinking of either i3 or bspwm.

Attached: 7d82e49686f5a72c3471f147b1cacc0c942b6e55b861968c071d2239cfb32614-b.png (671x519, 146K)

Microsoft sucks CoCk as well though.

So after reading about OpenRC and how booting works, I discovered the cause of my RO mounting issue was not having /etc/init.d/root linked in /etc/runlevels/boot. I don't know what could have changed this or fucked with my fstab, but I linked it and it mounts RW now, and startx works as non-root again, although my non-root KDE is fucked up and won't completely load, so I guess I still need to complete this @world update to fix everything.

Maybe I should double-check my CONFIG_PROTECT to prevent random fuckery like these random boot changes/updates, because I don't know how else it could've happened. This shit is rewarding to figure out but frustrating.

Ok. So I am a Linux novice. I shouldnt even be doing this shit at work. I'm a web developer not a sysadmin. But I was put in charge of migrating an old site to a VM so we could still have it if we needed. I have successfully restored the files on the old server(centos) using VM Dive A(centos,/dev/sda) as a go-between to VM Drive B(will not boot,/dev/sdb) which is its own virtual hard disk via ssh. The problem I am having now is I cant figure out how to set it up to boot. The /dev/ and /boot/ directories are empty and I know I need to use grub to set it up, but I have no clue how.

is it your first tiling window manager?
if so i3 is fine, you have only one config file to modify and it's documentation is great.
bspwm has more possibility but you have to configure bspwm itself, sxhkd for input and a on top of it a bar if you want to monitor on which desktop you are

>mint installed
>not saving my wallpapers for any reason
>every reboot goes back to the default mint wallpaper

Anyone know why?

How do I get rid of screen tearing in i3? It's running on a T480s under Fedora 29, if that makes a difference.

does it only happen in chrome? I get that too not sure how to fix

>using chrome

Attached: 1553088082815.jpg (413x395, 15K)

hey guys my firefox wont start after updating Arch
I tried reinstalling it still getting same error message
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so:
/usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so: undefined symbol: FT_Palette_Select
Couldn't load XPCOM.

please help

Attached: 1102300453.png (497x480, 218K)

Have you tried looking it up in this marvelous internet?

please don't use chrome

Last hope is always compton.

Learn how GRUB works, then configure it how you need.

dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html

Do you have the current versions freetype2-2.10.0-1 and firefox-66.0-1?
As the new stable Firefox has been pushed to [extra] about 6 hours ago, maybe it depends on new FreeType features that your current version (e.g. a custom 2.9.1 build from AUR) does not yet have.

which terminal server do you use and why?
i'm configuring lxde from scratch and i'm researching the possibilities, thank you

Attached: 1552641689551.jpg (800x600, 162K)

OH MY GOD THANK YOU
freetype2 needed updating
user you are a genius

No problem. Googling the missing "symbols", i.e. functions, is often a great way to find out what's outdated if this error happens.
In this case FT_Palette_Select was in fact introduced with FreeType 2.10, and someone else couldn't run current Chromium due to outdated FreeType either.
bugs.archlinux.org/task/62026

Can Node.js be used as a shell instead of bash, zsh etc?

Attached: tl5za8a.png (720x547, 480K)

Theoretically yes, in practice its not feasible as a full replacement.

You can use Node as a script interpreter just fine:
#!/usr/bin/env node
console.log("Hello world!")

Nobody seems to have made the effort so far, but you could build your own login shell in Node using REPL and e.g. shelljs if you want Unix-like commands.

Python can
xon.sh/

well I use chromium if it's any better
I tried firefox but it's slower than chromium

i can't approve of it because i use firefox and icecat but i know it exists so here you go
github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium

Real life has actually started to prevent me from fixing up my void install which I fucked up, so I'm going to move to openSUSE tumbleweeb. Previously I used arch but now I want to avoid it like the plague because of how meme'd up it has become. How fucked am I for having *just* enough sanity to not install gentoo?

installing void is like 30 minutes

does "emerge -auDN @world" update everything or is "--with-bdeps=y" needed to do build dependencies too?

avDuN should be enough. It will rebuild what needs to be rebuilt and after the merge it will inform you if @preserved-rebuild is needed.

i don't want to use void anymore, wow what a faggot right?

Installed Arch.
Installed Xorg, lightdm, xfce, network BS.
Hooked up to HDMI 28 inch Vizio Smart tv.
Everything I want works great. Except:

Randomly my TV will go blank, freeze and come back after about 3 to 5 seconds, and (I have display settings set to launch at new monitor hookup) the display settings manager launches as if I disconnected and reconnected HDMI. I can't figure out if it's a start up service issue , a driver issue, or a Xorg issue. I'm not new to pacman but I'm new to Arch without some install script.

Any ideas?

How does one configure feh? Manual reads:
>feh has three config files: themes for theme definitions, keys for key bindings and buttons for mouse button bindings.
How can I set default values for options? Any good resources on that?

Are you sure this isn't just a connectivity issue? Do other devices work with that HDMI cable on your TV?
Is there anything in the kernel log (journalctl -k -e) when it goes blank?

There should be example config files under /usr/share/doc/feh/examples to get you started. The actions to bind to keys and buttons are mentioned in the man page itself, "themes" are predefined sets of feh program parameters.

I'm looking for something more like general config. I want to change some defaults, and making an alias like that seems kinda dumb and non-practical.
alias feh='feh --optiona --optionb=v -x -y -z --whatever "else"'

I usually start feh by selecting a picture from file manager. I know that feh is about much minimalism, but honestly I couldn't care less about that. What I want is a borderless image viewer. Used to use mpv before, but even with the image-viewer script it's just as bad as feh with it's defaults.
I'm on KDE btw, if you know of any other image viewer that could suit my needs better and doesn't require gigabytes of deps - let me know.

[POL_Wine_InstallVersion] Message: Installing wine version path: 3.21-staging, x86
[POL_Wine_InstallVersion] Error: Unable to find version: 3.21-staging

Fuck is this? Happens anytime I try to install any game on playonlinux. I'm using most recent version of wine.

Wine/POL is absolute dogshit. I originally switched to LInux only, but started dual booting windows with it, because half the time wine would crash like 50% of the way through the installation/download process for next to no reason.

What are the best GNU Flash Players for playing flash games? Pic related is Gnash, which works for well for somethings, but not others. For some reason, text seems to break on some games. Is there alternative software I can use, or Gnash settings that I'm missing that might fix this?

Attached: broken text.png (558x460, 32K)

>Wine/POL is absolute dogshit
t. entitled winbaby

Is it possible to dual boot mint and ubuntu from a laptop?
I have an HDD, but it caps at 4 partitions, and for dual booting, you'd need 6 (right?)
I also have an external SSD connected with an USB 3.0. Doesn't seem to work.
So back to the question, is it possible to dual boot from a single HDD?

I've been using linux as my primary os on multiple devices for going on 8 years, there is no denying both wine and pol are dumpster fires.

Noobricer here,
just downloaded Krita as an .appimage, is there a way to code a script that loads it up with arguments. I want to make a math mode, so the pen is small and the page is already set up the correct size etc.
Also is there a way to run this script through d-menu?

Attached: 1547268567527.jpg (403x433, 30K)

yes. two OS, two main partitions, one grub.
NOTE: if you upgrade the kernel in the non-grub OS you need to boot to the grub OS and run update-grub2 there so the other OS has the new kernel in the menu

Personally, I've never had trouble with wine until I tried to use PoL, Lutris or similar with it.

I rarely use it, but those programs cause more problems than they solve.

Wine in it's current state is a 75% replacement for Windows.

Very little won't work right no matter what you do. Most of that is due to .Net cancer, or straight up DRM.

>one grub
What do you mean? The boot window?
How do you fit an OS into a single partition?

how do i re-install certain dlls in wine? i replaced five d3dXX files when installing dxvk, how to revert?

>How do you fit an OS into a single partition?
you don't.
two os, at least two partitions.

1. manually delete the dxvk dlls from ~/.wine/drive_c/windows
2. run winecfg, remove dll overrides from the relevant panel

Can partitions share root and swap area? What do you mean?

I'm done with you.

If you don't mind proprietary software, you can download the standalone version of Flash Player ("Flash Player Projector") from Adobe. Last time I tried it was a bit buggy, but it's still on the same version as the PPAPI plugin.
adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads.html

Otherwise Lightspark can complement Gnash with support for Flash 9.0+ loops.

You don't need a seperate swap partiton for ubuntu.
And no, Windows and ubuntu can't be in the same partition.
What you can do is turn your HDD from MBR to GPT so you no longer have 4 partition cap. But it will wipe all the data in the HDD

how do i unbotnet ubuntu ? what do i have to remove/change?
was using kubuntu but the lack of information regarding some issues made me go back to the old u

install (((gentoo)))

What makes ubuntu botnet to begin with?

the amazon shit for example

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation. Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ. One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you? (An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example. (1/3)

Attached: 1553103945000.png (720x628, 102K)

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it. You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument. Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. (2/3)

Oh, so you're just spreading bullshit about things that haven't been relevant for years.

You can kindly fuck off.

It's over. Reddit found us.

But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD? If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this: Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag. Thanks for listening. (3/3)

run the appimage with the --help parameter in terminal, see if there is a way to pass parameters to the hosted application

Hello frens
After distro-hopping for a while and landing back on windows 7 I realized that windows is for queers and slaves so I decided to go back to linux. Devuan seems like the best distro out there but I've never used it before; the problem is that since apt solves dependencies automatically, and that many packets rely on systemd, I don't want to accidentaly download it
How do I prevent accidentaly downloading systemd packets in Devuan ?

Attached: 1538403182577.png (1152x648, 29K)

>beginner
>concerned about systemd
How did this even happen?

meme magic

>Devuan seems like the best distro out there but I've never used it before; the problem is that since apt solves dependencies automatically, and that many packets rely on systemd, I don't want to accidentaly download it
>How do I prevent accidentaly downloading systemd packets in Devuan ?
imagine being this much of an uneducated dumbass retard.

You are retarded. Please stay on Windows 7.

have you considered installing gentoo?
i don't know but it's a good thing. if more people, even new to linux, don't want systemd runit and openrc can grow in popularity

that's not very helpful

Welcome to 4channel.

It's more helpful than your general idiocy and inability to apply basic common sense.

>friendly linux thread
>shit flinging
I didn't expect /b/-tier answers desu

okay now this is epic

Attached: index.jpg (232x217, 7K)

okay i don't want you to be memed back to windows.
don't bother, you will not accidentally switch the repo and install systemd.

GNU/Linux*

stop being autistic

you mean that the devuan packet manager's mirrors don't have systemd packets or systemd-dependant packets ?

Stop being disrespectful.

that's what i'm saying, the worst that could happen is, some packages don't work out of the box, systemd isn't a package you can easily install and remove, it's an init-system.

>systemd isn't a package you can easily install and remove, it's an init-system.
well it doesn't garantee that a packet manager wouldn't just fuck shit up by trying to install it anyways does it ?
thanks for answering, have a nice day user

yes maybe you will have problems with dependencies but that's nothing you can't troubleshoot. i don't really know if devuan is super stable at this point and how big the community is but you should be fine if you are ok with learning from other wikis and trying to use it for devuan

>you should be fine if you are ok with learning from other wikis and trying to use it for devuan
yeah the arch/ubuntu/debian wikis are nice

Can you coherently explain why you want to avoid systemd?

>i don't know but it's a good thing. if more people, even new to linux, don't want systemd runit and openrc can grow in popularity
devuan-noob-poster here
the reason I don't want systemd is because it doesn't respect the UNIX philosphy, which is essential for an UNIX-like system
I care about the UNIX philosophy because I tried out OpenBSD which felt very nice, but OpenBSD still lacks a ton of features as well as speed and the other BSD's suck ass.
So for me the best distros for this were Alpine, Devuan or Slackware but Devuan seems like the more usable for a newb

Attached: 1552850292185.png (434x341, 34K)

since you like sytemd and you're a faggot I'll just make your shitposting not work :^)
the reason is
>muh Unix philosophy

you forgot void

Attached: 1548456634182.png (491x553, 41K)

I have started using GPG heavily

But I do not have good handle of it

How do I backup my private key so that I'll be able to decrypt the things I encrypted using it on another machine

>rolling release
no thanks

put it on a removable storage

git repo

Is Stallman secretly botnet? I can't find his genome anywhere, suspicious.

>UNIX
That's a reddit term.

I wanted to protect grub with a password so I added one through YaST. Now I am asked for both a password and a USERNAME, although I was never prompted to add one. What am I supposed to input there?