The worst CPU the Linux kernel still supports is the 80486SX

The worst CPU the Linux kernel still supports is the 80486SX.
My question is: is this actually usable? Could you use a 486SX as your daily driver? Has anyone tried using modern software on this?

Attached: 1200px-Intel_i486_sx_25mhz_2007_03_27b.jpg (1200x800, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Zotc-F_EqBM?t=608
delicate-linux.net/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

> worst
i suppose you mean oldest, /v/tard

As long as you stay in console.

Have pentium pro with lots of ram so I tested out of curiosity modern software on it. It works surprisingly well, like office, even photoshop is usable. What is unusable is modern web. Chrome is ultra pig slow, barely renders Jow Forums with slideshow scrolling while most other pages like gmail will just time out.

Attached: Octane20.png (866x855, 33K)

Name a processor that has worse performance than the 486SX, is newer than the 486SX, and is still supported by the Linux kernel.

ew redditspacing

why? a cpu is neither good or bad, it's just a processor

would you rather use an 80286 or a i9-9900k

Thank you for sharing this screenshot user, it made me feel happy somehow

You can do a hell of a lot with a 10 pin microcontroller, the 486DX is a full fledged CPU.
>CPU arithmetic is the only thing that makes a computer work

You're shallow as fuck m8!

Did a Pentium processor on Debian Stretch. It took 20 minutes to boot. It was kinda usable after that

>only x86 exists

my insurance doesn't cover self-immolation, so

>a cpu is neither good or bad
The absolute state of Jow Forums

386SX20

youtu.be/Zotc-F_EqBM?t=608

If you build a specialized ultra light distro for yourself and only do minimal shit like editing text: yes.

linux dropped 386 support, op clearly meant running the latest version

wrong
intel = good
amd = bad

Linux 3.8 dropped support for 80386 processors in 2012. This distribution still uses a 2.4 kernel.
delicate-linux.net/

What?

all cpus are equal
mah equal opportunity
you should be willing to spend the same on a ryzen and a 400MHz celeron
bigendianoted shitlord

>Could you use a 486SX as your daily driver?
it's not a question of power but more of architecture. i386 x86 is fine, even on a shitty 486DX you can use links/Dillo, read your mails, do very basic spreadsheet etc... When it comes to different architectures tho, it can be very challenging to make a potato laptop usable. I spent three entire days trying to install linux on an old ibook G3. All the distros were outdated, glitched during install, froze, showed weird graphical glitches all over the screen etc. The inly distro I was able to fully install was netBSD and there were 0 (zero) packages available for it, so I had to use pkgsrc and building heavy stuff like xorg on a 600mhz powerpc is out of the question.

t. /v/ board hopping nigger

That was my second cpu, my first was a 286. 25Mhz iirc. Currently have a skylake i5 6600.

unironically