Why aren't more devs utilizing vulkan?

Pic related can actually run with 60-120 fps on my aging fx-8350 and R9 380 4GB GPU at stock speeds on ultra-high custom settings. Why aren't developers making games on the vulkan API more? Why stick to outdated tech like DX11 or the horrible DX12 that doesn't see any gains at all? For what purpose?

Attached: wolfenstein-2-new-colossus-thumbnail.jpg (1280x720, 124K)

>Why aren't developers making games on the vulkan API more?
>Pic related can actually run with 60-120 fps on my aging fx-8350 and R9 380 4GB GPU at stock speeds on ultra-high custom settings.

You answered your own question. Intel and AMD need to sell new hardware and pay these devs to use inefficient platforms to create a need to upgrade.

>vulkan games make the fx 8350 on par with i7s
AMD actually benefits more with this API. It's the reason why they've closely worked with the developers and pushed for its use in games.

>Intel and AMD need to sell new hardware and pay these devs to use inefficient platforms
I doubt AMD has any clout on what platforms developers create their games on. In fact, AMD before Ryzen has consistently pushed for Mantle and Vulkan because it allows their horrible Bulldozer and Piledriver CPUs to be on par with Intel offerings at the time.

fpbp. also pajeets cannot into vulkan and games have tight margins, so no need to optimize shit if you can just throw more powerful hardware at it

Imagine if Assassins Creed Origins and Odyssey utilized vulkan and was optimized for PC. A man can dream.

i'm not big into computer graphics and game development myself but from what I hear the reason Vulkan is more performant is because it provides lower level access to the graphics hardware which makes optimizing (in the right hands of course) easier. this also makes it notoriously hard to develop for especially when compared to something like DirectX which automates a lot of stuff and generally exposes a higher level API to developers

Vulkan doesn't necessarily make games perform better, but it makes it easier for the devs to do that. It's totally possible for OpenGL/D3D games to be better implemented and then people blame Vulkan

Turing runs Vulkan very well too.

well fucking finally

Vulkan is a lot more verbose than Opengl or Directx, so you need to know what you're doing to implement it properly.

Intel doesn't like it when dev's use vullkan because it makes moar cores make sense.

with directx devs can hack whatever they want together and it's in the ballpark of nvidia and amd to fix their shitty code in order to make the game run decently. That's why their drivers are a couple hundred MB nowadays, they contain specific fixes for pretty much every single game out there so they don't run like ass. With vulcan the dev gets low level access to the hardware but has to use it correctly himself. Which is a lot harder and more time consuming. Why do that when you can just give the GPU vendors the shitty end of the stick?

vulkan isn't actually that much faster than OpenGL, it's often not worth the cost of adopting it

Love the R9 380, great card.

Of course it runs OpenGL.

Vulkan is AMD though.

They do for consoles.

Generally speaking devs have a hell of a lot of work to do. If there's an easy way of implementing something in the game engine then great (like unreal engine). If it's difficult then only the big studios have the resources to implement it. All other studios are using off the shelf engines

Devs are lazy shits, more at 11.

Seriously though, it doesn't really matter what the benefits are, if it means extra work for the devs and shit is already working, it will probably be ignored. Doesn't help that Nvidia has many game studios by the juevos and until recently was at a disadvantage where Vulkan is concerned.

4k 144hz would probably be possible with today's tech then

the video games industry doesn't pay enough to get actually good programmers especially people with the kind of skills you need to properly use vulkan
plus the whole taking a fuckload of effort to use

Buy intel goy

Basically a large conspiracy between M$, publishers, developers and NV/AMD.

That's why mulitthreading is so bad and DX9 was used over OpenGL for almost twenty years.

This has to be bait. Doom 2016 benchmarks using the same hardware as in the OP
>Opengl: 80fps avg
>Vulkan: 100fps avg

That's a 25% increase just by switching API

Vulkan boilerplate is a nightmare. However no screen tearing and would revolutionize the low power device mobile market. Open es is crap. Nintendo Switch uses vulkan for os

Same reason no one is using DX12, it's hard to code for low level apis, and deadlines don't allow for optimization just for better fps when they can just use variable resolution or sub 1080p for dumb consolecucks without them even noticing.

I get almost twice the FPS on Vulkan in Dota 2 compared to OpenGL but there's some graphical glitches because Valve's support for that shit isn't so good

Only upside about Google stadia is that it only supports vulkan and is the only console to do so besides mobiles.
Should see alot more games running on it.
Pretty sure all of ubisoft games already are

Basically all major game engines can use it, and hardly anybody writes gaymes without an engine these days, so it's probably more widespread than you realise.
However, Vulkan currently only works of somewhat modern GPUs, so games that are trying to be run on somewhat older hardware cannot exclusively target it. That's a problem that will go away with time.

Attached: 1375773299400.jpg (425x419, 19K)

Just because some engines can use it doesn't mean it is utilized. Devs are still using DX11 and DX9 in most titles. Either they're lazy or they're being paid off not to use vulkan.

The reason that game runs so well is because it's Carmack magic. His engines are always optimized to sh*t, it's insane.
It uses Vulkan because the ID Tech engine tech has a long history of adapting the mates open standard to base their engines on.

Attached: horriblesubs-inu-x-boku-secret-service-05-720p-mkv_snapshot_13-24_2012-02-09_15-19-09.jpg (1280x720, 121K)

It's not just IDTech. Dota 2 also sees significant gain improvements switching from DX9/11 to Vulkan. On the other hand, switching from older DX versions to DX12 doesn't see that much improvements. There's just something in vulkan that makes games run faster, especially on AMD hardware.

You mean, aside from the fact that it's just a meme and basically everything is far more superior?

Here's a (you).

I love you, user.

Yes I'm sure IndieDev#38619 is being paid off to use DX9.

Vulkan is a massive pain in the ass

No it's not.

D

I thought people already wrote an opensource wrapper to vulkan so that its not a pain in the ass anymore? So just, pain.

While tech is making strides, I think the learning curve for new APIs takes some time for developers to adopt. Give it time and we'll see more Vulkan games in the future, especially with Google's entry in the console market around the corner.

Isn't vulkan easy to implement now especially with the opensource wrapper available?

4000 lines to draw a textured cube. fuck me.
its more efficient to write a simple 3d rasterizer yourself, at least thats under 4k lines if you know what youre doing. this is the official demo "drawcube" thats included in the SDK, btw.

Attached: 4klinesxd.png (1778x902, 137K)

no one is using dx12 and vulkan because they dont want to put in the training to learn either when they know dx11 well. both dx12 and vulkan have been around for a very long time now but is rare to find a game that supports it, even more rare for a game to implement it properly

>having to learn to navigate an humongous codebase to alienate 43% of your customer base
imagine

With UE4 and Unity chasing this golden duck, soon enough there will be a shitton of games supporting it.
But as they will be mostly indie shit, it will get to a retarded point where indie games will perform much better than the AAA things.

We need an Thread safe Open GL implemented on top of vulkan, so you get the BIG advantage of vulkan, but none of the hell.

Microsoft sends "donations" to them

This is the main drawback of vulkan, a massive codebase and not alot of documentation. If the code could be simplified or even optimized then adoption would be even more widespread.

>more verbose than Opengl
good bait nogrammer

Yes user, verbose as in you need to write more lines to work with the Vulkan API.

yeah i've done it and the init of vulkan is so tedious it's crazy