AMD Zen 2

>Seems like Gen 3 Ryzen (Zen 2) is coming sooner than we think. wccftech has reported that some motherboards are currently getting BIOS updates to support "upcoming CPUs"
> Currently, ASUS, MSI, and Biostar have released the new AGESA 0070 and AGESA 0072 updates for their respective motherboards. Not all motherboards are currently receiving the BIOS updates but would do so shortly. Both ASUS and MSI clearly list that the BIOS supports “New Upcoming AMD CPU” and because we know that there are no more Zen+ processors on the horizon for the X470 or X370 platform, the only processors that make sense to add support for is the AMD Ryzen 3000 series.
wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-valhalla-cpus-x370-x470-motherboard-bios-support/

It's happening, guys. Is it safe to expect a June release?

Attached: amd-ryzen-logo_0183012001651653[1].jpg (387x288, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/13605/sk-hynix-develops-first-16-gb-ddr5-chip-demos-ddr5-rdimm
extremetech.com/computing/283668-amd-wont-launch-a-chiplet-based-apu-on-ryzen-matisse
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

July.

Zen+ desktop APUs

>resetting the AGESA version number once again
AMD is retarded

>because we know that there are no more Zen+ processors on the horizon for the X470 or X370 platform, the only processors that make sense to add support for is the AMD Ryzen 3000 series

Attached: 1536694146733.png (1200x800, 164K)

>14+++++
every time

Attached: 1426250072035.gif (480x228, 510K)

Is AM4 finished after they launch their next Zen offering next year?

They're a bunch of retards if they think AMD will skip desktop APUs when they're already doing device design partnerships for the mobile zen+ apus

Probably, since 2020 is when DDR5 starts to surface

>tfw saw this image many times and never caught it
that made it a few times better when I finally looked at it properly, kek.

>Ryzen 5 3600G

Attached: SSh.jpg (225x225, 10K)

Wonder if it's worth sticking with my R5 1600 until AM5 generation CPUs or getting the final AM4 processors (assuming it works with my B350) and wait until 2nd generation AM5 processors that iron the bugs out?

The Bios updates are def for Zen 2.
Updating Desktop Boards with Mobilechip AGESA would be beyond retarded. And the new Mobilechips where the only new thing in a while the anounced for release from the CPU side.

and the Athlons are already suported in older Bios

I'm getting rid of both my r5 1600 and b350 pc mate. I bought a cheap motherboard specifically to upgrade to X570 (or X590) when PCIe 4.0 comes out. It was obvious 1st gen mobos will be messed up. Don't think there will be anything wrong with 3rd gen mobos, if anything, AMD may fuck up the I/O die but upgrading a mobo won't solve that anyway. I think next generation will be a refresh with no real improvements so x570 is the new z77.

My b450 already got the new beta bios the asrock b350 itx i still got flying around probably to

>June
wow, it's so soon. Only 3 months, JUST WAIT!

>if it isnt tomorrow its too far away

Repent Zoomer.

To be honest i was going to stick my current mobo into a HTPC case and swap out the CPU for an APU

I just hope there are X590 motherboards with 8 SATA ports right at launch, I need as much, and in the current offering they're quite rare already. I wouldn't mind going X470 to grab such a card, but I don't want to deal with getting one that wouldn't have its bios already updated. I'll want to use my new rig right away.

Attached: Pneumas' pneumas.jpg (554x600, 136K)

X570*

Asus x370 BIOS update recommends updating to a chipset driver that isn't even out yet.

Attached: unreleased.png (819x215, 10K)

>C6H getting updates
Oh baby. I can't believe ASUS didn't lie about that.

When are Intel's 10nm high performance CPUs being released?

I'm gonna laugh when older AM4 MOBOs won't be able to handle the higher core count zen2 chips.

At rough the same time as AMD's probably. But history tells us Intel will pull marginally ahead.
If AMD just released the CPUs in January they could've at least enjoyed a few months of being market leader.

I said 10nm, not 14nm+++++++

I'm kind of hoping they are released in late 2020 so it might have DDR5.

imo mainstream DDR5 is still years away m8

Intends mass production in 2020.

anandtech.com/show/13605/sk-hynix-develops-first-16-gb-ddr5-chip-demos-ddr5-rdimm

gonna hit servers first

first servers, then phones, then laptops, then desktop

They just releasing all of them at the same time.

Why are you gonna laugh?
Anyone with an old board would still be able to jump to 7nm 8c/16t, pretty good stuff.
Unlike Intel, that you need to buy a new mobo for every fucking new launch, even if it doesn't have a new + in front of the 14nm.

Dunno about laptop, plenty seem to still use LPDDR3

mama su please release close to my birthday (6/17)

any recent laptop uses LPDDR4 for newer CPUs, even cheap stuff like the latest HP Stream

The real question is what mobos will still support windows 7 with zen2.

Just get an extension card or something. Spamming mobos with legacy SATA ports is dumb and should definitely stop.

There's no x86 CPU with lpddr4 support though.

it's not 2009 anymore user

Unfortunately, Zen 2 ain't going to live up to the hype.
>Last month Mubadala Investment Co (the owner of global foundries) sold ALL of its AMD shares. They're probably aware of some critical flaw in the 7nm manufacturing node.
>So far this year Lisa Su (AMD's CEO) has been gradually dumping her shares in million dollar batches despite the fact that she was gradually accumulating all through almost all of 2018.
>The single threaded performance of the chip AMD demoed at CES was not very impressive.
AMD's top executives are all panicking. See pic related.

Attached: Zen2InsiderTrading.png (1427x290, 141K)

buy on rumour, sell on news

It's not going to be as big of a jump as you think. They're going to start doing near on Intel level hops every gen.

Hope it's good but nothing to do but wait.

yeah the cost per die is nuts, thats why they have the corelet approach, SAQP ain't no joke

>beat a same core count intel chip at lower clock speed
ok.png
>ignoring the L1 cache controller paper showing approaching 5ghz operation
ok.png

Attached: 1523930869717.png (640x529, 435K)

The critical flaw is probably *doesn't hit 5ghz* which was a hold over of rumours from ibm/GF 7nm that has been shitcanned. I don't think TSMC ever published their target fmax but the claimed 15% performance is probably 4ghz (2700x) increasing to ~4.6ghz which is pretty good but the internet will blow it totally out of proportion to be a failure on the scale of itanium. Regardless 5ghz is hard even on power and heat even if the process is capable of it.

Mubadala seems like they want out of the semi conductor business altogether. Halting gloflo, pushing hard for profit only, my bet is they'll sell GF the first moment they can.

Which paper? Is this the one that's talking about each ccd having a memory channel each in certain modes?

The sandnigger wants to get rid of GloFo anyway. Who's going to buy it? Samsung?
If it doesn't reach 5GHz while still beating Intel I'll be ok with it

It was at an ISSCC session, showed the VRF curve, inflection point at 4.6ghz IIRC, that doesn't exactly change with design or temperature

AMD

Attached: 1442550494138.jpg (735x626, 96K)

When will they release the price list or any other information about Zen 2?

>beat a same core count intel chip at lower clock speed
SMT undoubtedly helped AMD. Also, the zen2 chip won by a hair. The 9900k's single threaded performance is almost certainly higher than the single threaded performance of the chip they demoed.

The Zen 2 CES demo vaguely reminds me of what AMD did leading up to the Polaris launch. They did a demo with an underclocked card in a cherry-picked benchmark, bragged about the performance per watt, and people assumed that the final card would smash anything nvidia had to offer. In reality, Polaris turned out to be meh/10.

It would be funny if AMD intentionally sent AdoredTV fake info just to pump the share price while the top executives sell. Their stock is currently up 39% YTD due to Zen 2 hype despite all the insider selling that is going on.

>They're a bunch of retards if they think AMD will skip desktop APUs when they're already doing device design partnerships for the mobile zen+ apus
Oh no no no no
extremetech.com/computing/283668-amd-wont-launch-a-chiplet-based-apu-on-ryzen-matisse
AH HA HA HA HA

>>Last month Mubadala Investment Co (the owner of global foundries) sold ALL of its AMD shares. They're probably aware of some critical flaw in the 7nm manufacturing node.
Probably huge latency from having the IO die seperate from the Core die.
Which fucks latency over hard.
If you though it was bad for gaming before, then boy this will be surprise for amd fucks

Zen2 ticks all the right boxes and the only way AMD can fail it is if Zen2 were deliberately sabotaged.

There's legit no way to lose (from a design standpoint). Better SMT design, wider pipes, a doubled FPU, they built working product (albeit a poorly binned housefire GPU) on the node already.
Zen2 with real IPC gains and even a half decent clock speed increase is a market killer. Intel has nothing, nothing at all, unless they've been sandbagging 10nm so hard that nobody knows it actually works flawlessly and is ready for mass market this year.

All this talk...hmmm....seems like SA or MF shilling to short investors before another stock spike. AMD is now poised to double their server marketshare by 2020's end

Attached: chipset.png (811x220, 12K)

If this is true then they're fucked, but with all the improvements they made in the IF it can't possibly be worse than what they have now.

>Ryzen 5 3600G
>overclocks to 4.7 Ghz
>with RX 560ish like GPU
>for $200

Should be coming sooner, otherwise motherboards manufacturers would have waited longer to release bios updates.

I hope Zen2 can be overclocked 50% on all cores with stock cooler

It's AMD retards they will be good CPUs but not godlike like everyone always hypes them up to be.

That's my board, what did they not lie about?

>the owner of global foundries
>global foundries
brainlet. they don't even have 7nm.

But this time it's different, they're going from 12nm to 7nm, unless they somehow butcher the 7nm process I have no idea how pic related wouldn't be real. It's the first time I'm actually wondering if Intel will be able to beat AMD, there's no way any of Intel's 14++ nm chips are better than AMD's zen2 ones.

Attached: 1535108969232.jpg (922x832, 113K)

I want them to do good, but let's get real it's always the same shit. Overhyped with ok performance. Just like at the Radeon VII

why they gonna double the consumer core count and burn all TR owners. 16 core fake af, 12 core probably real tho.

who the hell hyped Radeon VII?

We all knew Radeon VII was gonna be shit though, Zen2 leaks, if real, indicate that's it's actually gonna be good. Anyway, I can't wait to see how it's going to turn out and I can't wait for actual news from AMD or even Intel.

>burn all TR owners
Core count alone doesn't make HEDT, it's the PCIe lanes

So, are they going to actually release new APUs? I'm getting conflicting answers.

But things not optimized for amd still won't be optimized for amd right? So for stability and consistency wouldn't Intel still be the go to?

Well we won't know until people actually get the chips in their rigs

What I expect AMD to do is have a bit of overlap (not much) between Ryzen and Threadripper.

6-12 cores would be purely Ryzen. 16C would have a Ryzen and a Threadripper, and from there it would be threadripper.
My question is what the Threadrippers are going to top out at. Are they going to cap them at 32 cores? 48? or are they going to go the whole way like they did with the 2990WX and put the same amount of cores Epyc tops out at, just with less I/O?

>muh add in cards
Flex the quad channel memory and the sexy mobos who needs that many lanes unless they really like their fast storage

64 cores on quad-channel RAM is a bit too much, 48 cores might be doable though

Thats what I've been thinking. Even if AMD did enormously improve IF bandwidth and IMC clock rate compatibility, its just not enough bandwidth to feed that many cores.
The cache boost is expected to help some, but we don't know how much just yet.

>What I expect AMD to do is have a bit of overlap (not much) between Ryzen and Threadripper.
Yup, Zen 1 also had some overlap. The top ryzen chip and bottom tr both had 8 cores. The only thing differentiating them was memory and pcie lanes.

>My question is what the Threadrippers are going to top out at.
They'll probably keep their top tr chip at 32 cores. The 2990WX already has problems with cache misses and shitty memory bandwidth. It would be dumb to add more cores without moving to a socket which supports 6+ memory lanes.

>The 2990WX already has problems with cache misses and shitty memory bandwidth
Cache is expected to be handled by the doubled L3, and bandwidth could be blamed on the fact 2 of the dies didn't have a memory controller to directly access, and had to fight for resources on the IF.
If AMD has improved IF (rumor has it it's not hard-coupled to memory clocks anymore) then it'd enormously help that.
I dunno, we'll see what AMD's got waiting for us.

>doubled L3
This won't help when the windows task scheduler goes full retard and moves a thread from one CCX to another. AMD would either need to pressure Microsoft into getting its act together or add a gargantuan L4 cache on the IO die.

>gargantuan

Attached: daryl.jpg (1600x664, 371K)

>Just like at the Radeon VII
lmao
Anyone that knew shit of tech knew it was just ported MI** with how they presented it. Vega is great at some things, but it's very mediocre on gaymen. Stop falling for the drone delusions.

>64 cores on quad-channel RAM is a bit too much
This ha been disproved already with the 2990WX, it's just Windows 10 being absolute dogshit.

32 cores on quad-channel is doable with some caveats, and yes part of the issue is that window's scheduler is dogshit and will forever be dogshit.
64 cores though is literally double the bandwidth requirements. Unless AMD has significantly improved the IMCs to allow for higher memory clocks, or stuffed in an L4 cache on the I/O die to assist with feeding the cores, 64 probably will not happen on quad-channel. 48, maybe, but not 64.

People set themselves up for failure to justify Nvidia (in the context of the VII). The VII is exactly what AMD said it would be - a 2080 competitor. Nothing more, nothing less.

Dual ranks 80GB ddr5 when.

The new Gen 11 graphics for icelake, look at the last row and think about it.
Next Desktop Socket from AMD might need 4 Channel. am4 till 2020 that would be next year.
So am5 with 4 Memechannel ?

Attached: gen9 vs gen 111 intel graphics.png (1026x1119, 102K)

Will zen 2 support virtualization?

Current ryzen CPUs can't?

aren't they releasing info this GDC?

i just bought a 2600x yesterday and a msi x470 gaming plus, together with 32gb ddr4.

dont know if regret or not.

Plenty of people have overclocked 95w parts past 130w, so power draw isn't going to matter.

HOW UPDATE BIOS OP?
HALP!!
I want download better performance!

The difference is that the Polaris demo wasn't particularly impressive performance-wise. Even if you ignore the power figure, the Zen demo is still AMD beating Intel's absolute top offering.

DDR5 has twice the bandwidth so is similar to quad channel DDR4.

The only virtualization feature I know of that Zen can't do is Hyper-V nested virtualization, and that's something that can be fixed as soon as AMD/Microsoft start giving a shit.

I can understand why they don't, because that's pretty fucking niche.

Can't be worse, probably like ~10% better

I'm on X370 and I'm gonna upgrade to a 3600X.
What's the problem with that?

The bios won't have enough memory for the update

they could, it wont be anything interesting though, as APUs are one generation behind.
3000 series APU = zen+.

My 1600 and x370 becomes my home server when 7nm comes out. As long as it is not a flop that is.