Fedora SilverBlue is merging with Fedora 30 or 31. It will revolutionize how commonly used Linux distros operate

Fedora SilverBlue is merging with Fedora 30 or 31. It will revolutionize how commonly used Linux distros operate.
Features:
- SilverBlue will allow you to get the latest applications while making your system more stable than CentOS by using Flatpaks.
- Installing regular packages will still work because they are added to the base system tree.
- Backed by Red Hat so companies that make software for Linux will be forced to support it. (Unlike Nix and GuixSD)
- Uses Flatpaks and OSTree so it has a better security model than Snap and Appimages, less bloated than Appimages, and not tied to a proprietary software store like Snap.
- Painfully long reboots like in current Fedora will soon be gone! Most of the OS will become Flatpaks which let you restart without issues. Soon, seemless updates will be added so you can reboot your system into one with updates without having to wait extra time.
- Rollbacks are as simple as selecting the previous option in the bootloader if your system somehow does manage to break.

Try out the beta with these links! Warning: Most of the applications haven't been converted to Flatpak yet and there is some manual stuff to do to install Flatpaks for now.
docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora-silverblue/
silverblue.fedoraproject.org/download

Attached: Logo_fedoralogo.png (600x182, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm looking forward to this becoming standard. I've been thinking about the concept of read-only system images like this for a long time and even tried to do my own transactional OS update system on Gentoo with btrfs snapshots.

>tfw the only reason you want flatpak to succeed is your hatered of snaps
What the fuck was canonical thinking with the visible snap directory in your home and billion loop devices?

How's Fedora SilverBlue right now, worth getting into it now? I need an OS that isn't stuck 2+ years with their packages but that doesn't break with a fart. Is this a good OS to try given these considerations?

>was canonical thinking
no

I'm _totally_ looking forward to this, but last I checked, about a week ago, there was no easy way to get Nvidia drivers installed -- is that still the case? Also there are still so many bugs with Flatpak, that part sucks, but overall it's a really great design.

Mark Shuttlecock can't think technically, only opportunistically. Canonical sucks and since Debian is on the verge of death, I can't wait to see what happens with Ubuntu.

I've been running normal Fedora 29 for a while now and it's pretty stable with pretty recent packages. As of right now, Silverblue requires quite a bit of extra care due to being a new paradigm and all.

this thread is a paid advertisement

even if it is, it's relevant to my interests. I only wish OP would respond to my questions.

>Installing regular packages will still work because they are added to the base system tree
so it has all of the cons of nix/guix and none of the benefits
>Backed by Red Hat so companies that make software for Linux will be forced to support it
it'll also be controlled by red hat so most distros will be forced to adopt it or create competing solutions using snap/appimage creating further fragmentation
>Painfully long reboots like in current Fedora will soon be gone!
they said the same thing about systemd and boots/reboots are slower than ever
>Rollbacks are as simple as selecting the previous option in the bootloader if your system somehow does manage to break
your system will break because regular packages and updates will fuck with the system tree like they've always done

can't speak for silverblue but the update to fedora 29 breaking a bunch of shit like it does every couple of releases was the straw that broke 12+ years of on and off fedora use for me
if you like some of the things OP lists then bite the bullet and jump balls deep into nixos/guixsd or use a more stable distro with nix on top as an additional package manager allowing you to use more recent software, nixos has a bunch of legacy cruft but it's not going to be a premature release that will serve as beta testing for red hat

>Rollbacks are as simple as selecting the previous option in the bootloader if your system somehow does manage to break.
Does this mean I don't need to wait a month after release to upgrade to new versions to avoid the risk of borking my system?

IBM really is ramping up their shilling I see.

IBM is awesome

that's it, I'm switching to CentOS when this happens. Fuck new stuff

this has always been the case

Nice try poettering

>redhat keeps on trying to make linux work in the same retarded ways as windows
What's their fucking problem? The whole point of using GNU/Linux is staying away from the pile of shit that is Windows, but these faggots keep on bringing the garbage here.

This is pretty cool. Base system being regular packages and programs outside of that being flatpaks seems like a good idea. Also, this will make flatpaks the standard. Great for software availability. As for the rollbacks, I already have this with btrfs+snapper.

SilverBlue should be fine. However, the automated package to Flatpak conversion system is not compete so you won't get a lot of software that has its advantages. You still get atomic rollbacks if something does break.

Correct. The process is still kind of ugly. Try the RPM Fusion wiki.
rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA

I do it FOR FREE like an excited technology cuck.

OP here. Sorry, I totally forgot I made this thread. Kek.

>so it has all of the cons of nix/guix and none of the benefits
Elaborate.
>it'll also be controlled by red hat so most distros will be forced to adopt it or create competing solutions using snap/appimage creating further fragmentation
This is free software. If people don't want it, they can use some shitty alternative instead.
>they said the same thing about systemd and boots/reboots are slower than ever
Works on my machine.
>your system will break because regular packages and updates will fuck with the system tree like they've always done
The goal is to make the base system so small and immutable that it almost never breaks and finding bugs for an immutable system is easier.

Attached: literally fedora.png (1073x341, 385K)

Rolling back takes 3 seconds so you can test the update and if it's bad, go back to just before the update or to states earlier than that.

Btrfs has performance and data corruption issues even with the disk configurations marked as stable in the Btrfs wiki. Source: Search OpenSUSE's bug tracker for Btrfs. The maintainers acknowledge the problems still exist.