Powerline

How does it stack up against Ethernet? I'd rather not run a 50/75 foot wire through my house if it's comparable. Thoughts?

Attached: tp-link-av500-powerline-adapter-5b16c16dfa6bcc00369004ed.jpg (768x505, 30K)

check cnet

It depends entirely on the wiring in your domicile. No one can really tell you for sure, some people find it doesn't work at all, some people find it works great. I used them for a bit in a 70's built small apartment building and they worked alright.

If your electrical wiring is bad, ethernet over power sucks ass. It's kind of a gamble. Personally if there's any possible way to just run the CAT6 I would do that instead.

I use tp link for a few machines
They frequently drop connection and require unplugging sometimes
Can this be fixed?
>run wire
Cant

Just run a fucking ethernet You won't regret it in a long run.

Mine works great - stream vids from my NAS to wireless pi's over it just fine. Gayman I only lose gain roughly 15-30 ping

It's always much worse. It's slower and will have higher latency with huge spikes.

Used for a bit in a rented place with kinda modern (15 yr old) wiring. Worked OK for the most part, except for sometimes having to re-pair them.

Now own a house, so spent the time to lay at least 4 runs of cat 6A to all rooms and outdoor buildings, terminated to a patch panel.

Lounge alone ended up with 12 runs (4 behind TV, 4 behind router/phone, and another 2x2 at rear of the room).

Probably add 10ms of latency, bandwidth depends on the model. Better than wifi, worse than ethernet. Though a good 802.11AC router don't have much latency, would not be surprised if they beat these adapters while having strong signal because.

Been using them for a year.

I get a rock solid connection.

Doesn't compare well to ethernet. Definitely more stable than WiFi however.

I thought it was good until I bought a slightly nicer router with 1 Gbps ports instead of 100 Mbps and found my connection didn't improve much at all despite the adapters being rated at 1.2 Gbps so now I think it's trash and got an USB wifi adapter instead that realizes 600 Mbps or so

My ethernet over power is so bad that 802.11ac is infinitely better

I have a pair, works perfect for streaming movies, its a last resort if you can't run ethernet.

>These fucking posts
It's fine OP. Holy Christ, if you're not living in a shack in the woods there's no need to worry about whatever negligble latency it causes. You're using one because the alternative is a long-ass obtrusive cable and want something better than Wifi, these adapters fit that bill perfectly.

Either this thread is flooded with third-worlders with electricity powered by hamsters or the majority of Jow Forums has officially reached that apex on mount stupid that coming here has lost its appeal. All you tech know nothings and your constant insecure rage posts about everything being shit and not working are giving me an ulcer.

Attached: XjYPMYr.jpg (580x466, 26K)

The speed ratings on them are wildly exaggerated; you can directly plug one into the back of another and still not get the claimed speed.

My 2000mbps one only gets like 350mbps at best across the house.

>Either this thread is flooded with third-worlders with electricity powered by hamsters

Or maybe this thread is filled with first worlders with gigabit internet who are severely disappointed with the sub par performance of these things compared to the connection speed that they would be getting with ethernet.

Yeah no shit, unless you literally have over a gigabit of internet connection speed from your ISP these things don't magically make that signal faster.

I have some shitty Netgear powerlines from 8 years ago and I've only had to unplug them twice. I was surprised they took the force for as long as they did.

I was thinking of replacing them but they still seem strong. I have the XAVB2001 2-pack set

With good wiring it's equal to or better than 802.11AC but considerably worse than ethernet.

With bad wiring it's worse than 802.11g. If you don't own the place maybe try it. If you do just run the ethernet cables.

Ive used them for years, never have to touch them they just work like a network cable with 3ms more ping.

Attached: powerline.png (411x253, 17K)

No, it's not "considerably" worse than ethernet and it's miles above wifi. I really don't know who the fuck all these people are making posts who've clearly never used one. All of you are making assumptions about how it works or you literally live in the third-world where power lines were made by the ancient civilization of monkey-men that lived there before you.

Just run an ethernet through wire trunks. At worst you'll have to repaint the walls and replace a door frame.

I don't know how you assumed the most backwards ass understanding of the 2000mbps speed rating, but yes I have a half gigabit connection which was being limited to 350mbps by the powerline ethernet. I finally ran a cable and am now getting my full half gigabit speed.

Whatever dude, your powerline adapter is below the first percentile of powerline adapters apparently yet your using over a gigabit of internet? You've never used one or desperately need to replace it.

They turn your entire apartment/house in giant antenna, broadcasting all traffic to the world.

Hope they encrypt properly. Personally I recommend setting up a VPN at home. That's generally a good idea.

TP link AV2000 dumbass, just because you can run your dialup over 2 feet of wiring doesn't mean the rest of us live in shoebox apartments where all the outlets are on one circuit.

Make sure your house doesn't have AFCI breakers, powerline adapters trip those.

Your particular unit isn't just crap, it's super crap then. But yeah, this technology is so fundamentally flawed that even with 10 gigabit internet it maxes at 350mbs and there's nothing to be done about it.

All it takes is one person with actual experience with the thing to know you're full of shit and being stubborn about it for some reason.

use moca instead

>Want to get some because the majority of the walls in my house are wall and plaster and it's extra shiesty to run ethernet through that
>Afraid to get some because apparently they only work in Yurostan because 240V setups require fewer individual loops
>Could've gotten a better wireless card except the direct upgrade for the one I have is discontinued and now sells for $150 on Amazon instead of the $20 it ran before

Attached: 1546477770393.jpg (389x389, 16K)

It sucks ass. You can do what I did, and hire a carpenter to install chair moulding around the house (looks classy af) which also hides my ethernet cables. He built it in a way I can switch it out anytime. No need to bust out drywall this way. :)

You're the only outlier in this thread. Literally everyone else is claiming they are ok at best. I have actual experience with 2 very different generations of this technology in multiple houses. In all cases they were getting less than a 1/3rd of the claimed connection speed. They are affected badly by electronics that leak interference, literally just plugging in a usb charger somewhere in the house can drop your speed by 30-60mbps.

>this technology is so fundamentally flawed that even with 10 gigabit internet it maxes at 350mbs and there's nothing to be done about it.

The fact that you're saying this ironically shows that your understanding or reality.. the way your brain functions, is literally fucked.

>They are affected badly by electronics that leak interference, literally just plugging in a usb charger somewhere in the house can drop your speed by 30-60mbps.
Stop buying sketchy Chinkshit USB chargers. You're going to get one with a live shield connector one day.

Grabbed a pair last December to deal with renovations that have been going on. Haven't had any troubles and like what says, only adds 3-5ms worth of ping to the local router.

It depends entirely on the quality of wiring in your house. If you're living somewhere in a first world country that was built to code, you'll probably be okay. As others have said, they're worse than ethernet but better than wifi. Ignore anyone who talks about internet speed while using them, non-retards know that the best way to test a network is to check traffic between two points on the local network.
On the other hand, if you're living in a house that was built in the 60's with original wiring or has a whole bunch of DIY hackjobs, you're probably going to have a bad time.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: If the two points on the electrical system are on the same breaker you'll get significantly better performance than if they have to cross from one breaker to another.

As already said before it depends on the quality of the electrical in your house, but also the quality of the adapters themselves. Your cheap netgear or tplink shit is probably going to suck, have high interference with your washer or microwave, and no or garbage encryption. Decent units will last you a long time and perform beautifully, you'll never even think about them.

Running long cables might not be feasible. Most routers dont have the power output to be reliable over long distance at full speed. I've had bad issues with a 100ft cable and a surfboard.

It works fine. Used it in two different places where the wifi was spotty, and it was a huge improvement in both cases. Mine also has a wifi access point built into it, which is nice.

You wouldn't notice any difference if your Internet connection was slower than that.

What's wrong with running ethernet cables along the corners of your walls and floors?

i fixed that using ping router -t and just leaving it

I'm not retarded I meant within my home network, and yeah it was limiting me to about 30 meg down when I get about 70 on my 802.11ac network

I had to do this too, netgears shit didn't recognize the powerline adapters at all and some other brand's software did but unfortunately I was never able to disable the power saving features. It at least let me see their connection quality and speed though. Freakin gay that the manufacturer's software didn't work at all

Anybody who is talking mad shit doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about, have never used one, and probably read the reviews of some piece of shit Alibaba unit.

Buy a good one, and it will work.. well.

I had one. 300 down line I was getting 150 down with powerline.

Latency with gaming was basically a non-issue. Hardly noticeable in fast past shooters.

As long as you don't have an old house and shitty wiring they're worth it.

Be prepared to try all kinds of outlet combinations, performance varies wildly depending on what outlet / configuration you use them in.

Just werks. I use a pair between router upstairs and TV and shit in living room. Good enough for 4k streaming, pc gayman via steam link, Splatoon on bing bing wahoo and more. The living room unit goes into an 8 port unmanaged switch to which all devices are plugged in.
GDFI sockets can supposedly fuck it up. My whole kitchen next to the living room uses them. Either I'm lucky and it's a different circuit, or the effect is not really that bad to be noticable.
Spent a lot of time researching them, seems like AV2000 from tplink are universally considered the best. Make sure to enable encryption when pairing them, otherwise apparently you can accidentally join to your neighbor's network if they also use powerline adapters.

The wiring in my home is pretty bad, but for some reason the power line adapter works great. At least try it and see

The correct Answer to OPS question is here. I get 700mbit/300mbit consistant over MOCA. I could barely manage 150mbit over the best powerline adapters. Shit was the same price as well.

Should also mention this is on a along route with like 3 splitters. None of which are proper MOCA splitters. 1 is buried in drywall, but I will try and replace two of them to see if I can get it up.

It's extremely hit or miss depending on a bunch of factors.
They should only be a last-resort compared to proper Ethernet wiring.

I swear this fucked my house's wiring up.

Just buy a wireless repeater with lan ports.

I've never gotten a repeater to work consistently. The latest one I used required a couple times of week, so I replaced it with power line and now have zero issues.

Fine as long as the wiring in your house isn't too old.

Legit answer? Yeah its works good but would never be as good as ethernet via cable. I could get 300+ Mbps but i doubt powerline could saturated 1 Gbps line. Also as said by other dependent highly on your electric wiring condition. Ping does not to be different between powerline and eth cable.

In short werkz for me.

>I'd rather not run a 50/75 foot wire through my house if it's comparable.
Unless you rent, run ethernet.

my advice:
look for someone you know who already has a pair of these lying around, borrow them, test 'em.
Only way to be sure.

This thread is a mess
Just go on Amazon
Buy one and try it
Then make your own decision because you're a big boy

it's shit, but i have to use it because house was built in 1700 and my family doesn't want to make holes in the wall

Am I getting trolled? I always thought powerline adapters are for powering routers via RJ-45 while sharing the network at the same time, not the other way around. Is this a burgerstani thing?

you're thinking of power over ethernet adapters?

Ah, so it's not the same thing. Sorry.

That's literally identical to this apart from the fact that it also broadcasts a wifi signal retard

I've got a pair of D-link ethernet over power wallwarts with power passthrough
despite what they say you CAN use them on a powerboard I can get around 30 Mbps with one of the units on a powerboard and the other directly into a wall in 1970s tier Australian wiring
for comparison on the same network using a modern 5Ghz capable phone you can get up to 90 Mbps in the same room as the router and somewhat less than that anywhere else inside
I'd consider modifying a door or window to route a proper ethernet cable if you are in a heritage listed type home like just use some decent UV resistant conduit if you go via the window
another alternative would be replacing an internal door then cutting a channel in it for the cable while preserving the original door if it has easily accessible hinges

Everyone says it's a gamble.

I rent a condo in a complex full of retirees. The complex was built in 1993 and there's still telephone ports in the walls for landline for each home. My place also gets brownouts during thunderstorms / blizzards.

Landlord doesn't want us drilling holes between floors, I don't want to feed multiple 50-100ft cables in the open floor everywhere, and I sure as hell don't want to spend $300 on "MESH NETWORKING"

I use TP-Link's powerline adapters for downstairs Wi-Fi and it has worked pretty okay, maybe one or two times out of the month the wi-fi shits itself for a brief moment, but it's hell of a lot better than I expected. Still not satisfied but I can't do much about it, especially if I'm going to leave this place next year.

How can I get internet to a shed that is like 100 feet from my room? I was thinking about setting up some parabolic antennas but it would be kinda of a pain in the ass to do. Repeaters wouldn't work that well either because of how many walls and shit there is.

>"MESH NETWORKING"
I never really looked into this at all, I just know Google Wi-Fi is an example of it
What's wrong with Mesh Wi-Fi?
Curious because I feel like it'd be something that'd work for me if it works

Attached: Google-Wifi-2.png (800x600, 143K)

I'd recommend them if you can't get a wired connection. My house is fairly old without the best possible wiring but it still made a huge difference for me. When I moved I was focused on doing up the actual house before running wire connections like I have now, so I ran wireless for a good while before I made the stop gap to a TP Link PA4010 (I got it for £20) and it was a huge improvement from wireless. I went from like 25ms ping and occasional drop-outs in connection on wireless to about 10ms ping and only dropped out once (unplugged it and reset it back up, straight back up). I'm running wired now and it's definitely better, 5ms ping, I'd say the connection is a bit more consistent, but I could definitely go back to powerline and be happy enough with it.

>not really a wired connection
>suspectible to hacks
>latency when viewing web pages on vims or cloud-9
it's the stupid little things Jow Forums points out. mesh is usually pricier, so it depends on what you want, wires or no wires

I really don't recommend them unless you can deal with only 20 - 40ish Mbps speeds symmetrical. It also adds a decent amount of latency. It is more worth to buy a box of cable, some tips, a pair of snips and a crimper and just do it the right way.

Good for some situations but not most worst case you can run wiring through the walls and have a socket for ethernet cables to connect

One thing this thread is missing. When setting them up, put them in adjacent sockets. Having the initial link between the units, especially if you're using more than two, be done in close proximity seems to help the stability in dodgy houses/flats.
They're great for more edge deployment. For a 100mb/s+ Internet link to your main machine/server then they'll be a bandwidth bottleneck but still have good latency.

It's shit, and there's no replacement for passing ethernet cable around.

half-duplex

Lies. Wifi has better uptime assuming your router is on a UPS. Even the slightest power fluctuation will cause powerline adapters to go out of sync.