Self-taught programmer

>self-taught programmer

Attached: Quotthats+disgustingquot+says+a+_1cb71a3f1c2a8a7555f843a1918f0dff.jpg (400x400, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cio.com/article/3309059/more-tech-companies-drop-college-degree-requirement.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I taught myself programming but I'm not a programmer by occupation

ya? need something?

>going to Uni for programming
lmao @ ur life

We had to turn down a guy that completely blew every other applicant out of the water, only because he didn't have a degree.

its ok user everyone learns differently !

>self-programmed thoughts

This is moronic but I know some companies do this. While I know friends who work at bleeding edge tech companies with no degree.

I bet you cant even fomally programm a Turin machine on paper based retard.

i taught myself

making $115K

my rent is $1600/mo

feel free to lick my bumhole

Sounds like your company has a+ decision making
>Or he was the only white applicant and the others were -minorities

nice projection fag lole
it's ok only a couple more years to pay off those students debts

yeah, funny that a lot of companies seem to be in bed with academic institutions

>academia bullshit
Get back to me when your day to day involves solving real problems requested by real people. Not homework that's already been solved by a gorillion people before you.

>study from the same text books used in schools
>>>>self taught

>projecting insecurities

Christ. $1600/mo in rent? What liberal shithole do you live in.

>Not paying 800/month for a comfy country home.

How does anyone actually learn how to program but by teaching themselves? I have never seen anyone actually get taught successfully how to program, they're either able to figure it out independently or they can't do it at all.

Being an autodidact doesn't imply that you discover or reinvent principles that are already widely known or taught by educational establishments. It only means that an individual decides what to study and does so independent of any educator, be that another individual or an institution.

Agreed entirely; if you are taught how to program, what do you do once something unexpected happens or the ecosystem changes?

Most founders of tech companies are self-taught. While the students have to beg for a job.

That's true, but you have some people who are given a problem and just give up because they haven't received instructions on how to handle this new case, or write some fucking abomination that doesn't work anyway. Then you have other people who can look at the problem and find ways of breaking it down, and figuring out how to do the part they weren't taught yet on their own. I learned how to program before I came to college (and I started college in my mid twenties), and the ability of engineers to program is fucking abysmal, even at the senior level.

It might just be the case that our programming classes are abysmal, but I can't really judge that fairly. I can say that all the people I know here who are competent take the initiative to learn concepts on their own.

There are idiots everywhere. I still feel like university graduates are better on average.

>school-taught programmer

Attached: madoka.jpg (680x680, 85K)

>school-taught programmer
Into the trash it goes

>feel free to lick my bumhole
well you didnt give me time and place .. so feel free to provide the info.

School only teaches you the basics. You're supposed to supplement it with self-education.

Eh, there's plenty of college grads that are fuckheads. The degree in data structures meme is real.

You get out of a degree what you put into it. Take interesting courses at a good school and invest time into learning the material, you learn a lot you otherwise wouldn't, from some seasoned and intelligent professors.

Coast

>250k in debt for the basics
what a deal

I don't about you, but even in semi-rural Texas towns it is $1300 easy just for a 2 bed 1 bath apartment.

All programmers are self-taught if they're worth anything.
No one wants programmers who only learn through going to classes.

>be me
>go to college but switch from cs to informatics after a year because I hate math unless it's linear algebra because I like doing opengl / vulkan shit
>already know how to program just need the degree related to programming to get my foot in the door
>graduated with a BS in informatics and a high paying job offer + multiple internships along the way
>actually had time to teach myself shit on the side in school and do multiple side projects.
I definitely would have been a worse dev if I did just the cs program and crammed math and science theory shit instead of getting a degree related to programming while doing real programming on the side would definitely recommend it as an alternative to doing a pure cs degree

Sorry, but someone that has the passion and dedication to learn everything themselves and spend more time in those subjects will always be better than some kid that shows up 2 days a week for CS classes and does the bare minimum.

I pay $400 in rent

how's that hole in the ground working out for you

This may make me sound pretentious but I really hold contempt towards people who learned to program in order to make a career out of it. I feel like the only good programmers are the ones who (in a world without financial burden) would program anyway, and the people who just wish to make profit are never going to want to improve their skill or make something of value rather than make something that's simply "good enough" and gets them paid.
It saddens me to see a rise in people struggling in school and other places just because they're trying to do something they have no passion for, in a field that really seems like it demands genuine passion and interest.
I'm not saying you can't make a large profit while lacking skill though. The market today proves this daily. But I don't like to see it, because in those cases, it is usually the user that suffers. Things seem so negative these days.

This makes me feel good about owning a house.
>$2K in taxes a YEAR

>working

Attached: 1477127222129.jpg (912x1009, 143K)

I agree, it also saddens me to see CS become the "default major".

self taught sql developer here making 120k/yr in flyover land

Attached: 30yo boomer.png (675x601, 217K)

that's why my company has the requirements split to fulfill either 10 yrs of experience OR masters/bachelors + 4-6yrs, something like that.

I'm literally you but my rent is half that. you could easily find a place in the 1000-1200 range I'm sure, but you just want to live in the lap of luxury I'm guessing.

you need BS or masters degrees at a minimum in math/stats/etc if you want to break into data science earlier in your career for example.

some fields are like that, most are not. DS is only like that currently because it's trendy atm. a self taught data scientist that spent 20 years as a sql dev/data analyst first will beat out the person with the degrees and less experience every single time though. there's not enough qualified candidates applying and technical skills can be learned by anyone, so that doesn't make the book worms valuable. they're just the only other ones qualified.

in the real world everything generally shakes out as it should. once you're a senior dev, all your peers are like minded and capable individuals. all the boot camp faggots stay on the bottom.

I think that if you are not going to a good university, it would be better to learn by yourself.

rekt

I didn't people still pay guys to develop sql queries ... what happened to hibernate where you live?

>I know friends
>know friends

Hmmm

cio.com/article/3309059/more-tech-companies-drop-college-degree-requirement.html

Attached: 2019-03-20-21-40-13.jpg (778x720, 216K)

I'm more than just a sql dev, I'm a full service analyst and developer. my job is to solve database/app problems that my fellow wagies create.

Yeah there's a lot of coders that treat it like a fucking chore. They'll never become anything more than code monkeys though.

>2019
>needing some miserable professor to treat you like a baby to teach you concepts over a 4 month span
>learn those same concepts and then some in a couple of weeks

It's just a piece of paper, dumbass.

that's fine, it makes the rest of us look better desu

Self taught programmer, wrote a whole library for data structures in C. Though there are a lot of self-taughts who can't do that I guess.

Show us your programming socks.

Not everyone can afford the luxury of being a neet.

>academia bullshit
I went to college for something non-tech related. If you do internships and apprenticeships through college, you'll succeed, and someone with 4 years of education and 2-3 years work experience is worth more than someone with 4 years work experience alone, and 4 years education alone.

Once you get mid-career (8+ years of work experience honestly) then nobody cares about your time working in the field, if you have nothing to show for it.

Did the person who turn him down get fired for that? This sounds extremely incompetent on their part

I'm self taught and I've taken classes. What now bitch?

Housebro what's up

In my case it was something like
Teacher says: "Today you will need to pass a message back and forth between two processes over a pipe, here's a sample code, RTFM get to programming motherfuckers" and just sits and looks for the rest of the class, because self-teaching is the only viable practice in the field.

Ever since tech exploded as a hip new life style rather than a "nerdy thing" things have been accelerating really downhill. It's really sad to see that competence and passion get snuffed out in a field that's perfect for such things.

>the people who just wish to make profit are never going to want to improve their skill or make something of value rather than make something that's simply "good enough" and gets them paid.
i'm learning to program so i can build the product i want and want to understand how it works instead of just paying someone to make it. back in the 90s when i was a kid i learned html when that was new, just for the reason that it was new and cool and fascinating, so i get what your saying about programming for programming sakes. i don't want a job as a programmer, but i want to know and why my product does what it does and what the possibilities are for the future of the product. but i wouldn't call myself a programmer, even when i am competent.

1) most universities do a horrible job at teaching, lots of misinformation and also just encouraging bad practices in general
2) there is no such thing as being "self-taught" when it comes to programming. whether you're going to uni or learning yourself, you're reading material somebody else. unlike a musical instrument or something, you can't just teach yourself by typing random characters into an IDE and eventually write something that makes sense. all of the information you learn throughout your compsci program can also be learned online, you could make the argument that you won't have the drive to learn shit like linear algebra on your own time but whether or not that knowledge is even necessary completely depends on what it is you're trying to accomplish. but it's also called not being lazy. some people need school in order to get the drive to do things and that's okay i guess, but don't fall under the assumption that everybody else is the same way

lol nerd who cares, what can you do for my company

Why would anybody think thats a good idea? That either means your company is an giant bureaucratic mess or HR is fucking stupid.

> I only have a uni degree but no professional experience like internships/etc

Attached: 937.png (112x112, 8K)

I'm self-taught and I learned up to minimum spanning trees, quad-tree and graphs. What now?

>not self-taught """programmer"""

Attached: HOjbEaOZ.jpg (227x222, 8K)

I think the point of these complaints is Jow Forums is saturated with college freshman who have never seen real world code and have no concept of what coding for a real job is like. all they have is shitty homework-tier discussions and their projects are overly simple uninteresting canned solutions.

more like HR is trying not to get sued for discriminatory hiring practices

Nice tomcat

ws.subtel.cl
admin

>La Croix tallboys
Where do I cop some of these bad boys?

Attached: 1491628625645.png (787x433, 902K)

>implying you don't teach yourself in uni
I don't get it.

Self-taught is really not the write way to say what programmers do.

You still learn from others, and your learn by tackling problems and using resources. It's basically what you do in school. People are just put off by the massive influx of pajeets and muhammads learning JavaScript

companies avoid doing that because it's seen as unfair by retards
>oh wow why did this guy without a degree get the job, he must've pulled some strings or it's nepotism
>wow what the fuck the guy already got a raise and he doesn't even have a degree while I'm sitting here with a master's and slaving away

Now that i read all these post i can be sure that this board is full of brick brains

give me a job you fucks
i can write hello world in every lanugage

>paying for school
?

you should try learning a useful skill

Was he a white male?

I taught myself programming. I work as one and I earn more than a few educated and certified guys that I know.

>need to pay money to get spooned with free information from the internet at pace of braindead retard
LM@O

>self-taught= autoretardation
the truth is anyone who dosent go to bootcamp learn himself by watching youtube or something

Good! He was an unqualified wannabe acting as a Software Engineer. You just aren't an engineer if you didn't go to university, sorry.

software engineering is not engineering lmao

I self-taught
For some reason it landed me a job as a database admin

Attached: 1541327110372.jpg (259x194, 10K)

If you didn't self-study enough during secondary education to the equivalent of having a bachelors degree in CS by the time you finished you're a shit programmer.

Prove me wrong.

I'm self taught and I spent the other night helping a CS undergrad with an assignment.

Even so, I'm pretty sure going through a CS degree involves a ton of "self-teaching". You can't simply memorize problem-solving, it's a skill you have to practice.

This but unironically. Yeah software engineering is technically engineering but engineering in the colloquial sense implies physical manipulation, and also software engineers tend to be the worse at math of all the engineers for some reason.

>being elitist over an SE degree
lmao

>going to Uni
kek

Attached: autistic_bitch_pathetic.jpg (640x350, 32K)

>picture of an idiot
>text of thing i don't like
great content guys

Computer does all of the math for you, after all. Also engineering doesn't imply physical manipulation, not even in a colloquial sense, fuck off with that retardo logic.

Welcome to 4channel, where we've been intellectually regressing since 2004!

>self-taught
>started going to uni just for tha papers
>acing tests
yawn, next

>computer does all the math for you
But what about problem solving? If you don't know you need to implement calculus for an efficient solution, the computer isn't going to fix your incorrect angle of attack for the solution. It'll just chug along by brute force.

I decided to not pursue CS and instead just get a B.A. in Math and apply at tech internships for experience. Interdisciplinary movement shows you have drive and aren't a low test intradisciplinary.

You should either
1. Switch degrees to something more challenging
or
2. Go to a university that has a good CS program

I had to work with physics and computational linear algebra for attitude determination in a cubesat. Software in the abstract doesn't need any quantitative knowledge, but actually designing systems to be used in the real world efficiently would seriously benefit from calculus/probability theory

>tfw struggling with uni due to self-esteem issues
Should I just get a job and do the /wdg/ branch on the side until I can start establishing a solid github? I'm currently studying calculus and have minor experience in HTML, CSS, and C. I don't HATE university but could never settle on what I wanted to do with myself and don't want to go all the way after all this time being indecisive to get in debt and not enjoy what I'm employable in. Or is the Math degree option that did a good route?