How long will a hard drive last if you turn it off and on everyday (turn it off when you go to sleep...

How long will a hard drive last if you turn it off and on everyday (turn it off when you go to sleep, then turn it on whjen you wake up)? As compared to turning it off and on every 2 months (keeping it on even when you're afk)?

Attached: 1534984771693.png (678x452, 221K)

Other urls found in this thread:

warez-bb.org/
comss.ru/page.php?id=4446
malwaretips.com/threads/hard-disk-sentinel-standard-5-01-lifetime-license.78556/
imgur.com/a/kELQ3OP
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You never know. It can fail within a few days or it can keep spinning for a decade or two.

Running an IDE 80gb drive since 2004 and i turn it off every night and so far it's working fine

>Seagate

imagine paying money to lose 14TB of data

>what is the exponential distribution

Proof

Attached: vyliui.png (675x523, 65K)

Fucking meaningless unless you're buying 100+ HDDs

>power on hours
>17k

hmmmm

>17588 hours
That's it? I have an ST3160023AS (early SATA, 160GB) with well in excess of 80000 hours. I say well in excess because it's now on a shitty controller that doesn't passthrough SMART properly, since September of last year, so it's probably more like 83000 by now.

It has a few reallocations, as you'd expect from a 16-year old drive, but they're all from 2 or 3 events and it's been stable for years.

It just refuses to die.

Attached: Capture.png (844x350, 37K)

what software is that?

Hard Disk Sentinel

pleb

Attached: 1543314238382.png (1508x1010, 807K)

Hard Disk Sentinel. If you want to keep track of a million little details about your drives it's the absolute best. There being nothing like it on Linux is one of the reasons preventing me from jumping ship from Windows.

im afraid to torrent it from public trackers because i don't want ot get a botnet crack

where can i find a virus free crack?

warez-bb.org/
Search the Apps section for "Hard Disk Sentinel", find a thread from one of the guys with thousands of posts.
You can always try it in a virtual machine first and compare the binaries with the official stuff (less changes = better).

Your mileage may vary, but it's still better than getting it from fucking TPB.

Had old server at work that was only recently decommissioned.

Was working 24/7 since 1996, 2x2.1Gb IBM scsi drives, both are in perfect working order. No AC, no UPS.

I guess most drives if adequately cooled, behind quality power supply and in vibration free environment will pretty much run forever.

You can get a giveaway lifetime license for free and only for 5.20 version (latest is 5.40) from this russian site, it's perfectly legal, no warez or anything like that. comss.ru/page.php?id=4446

>.ru

thanks, but no thanks

I saw the offer from here you silly, on the second page you can find a similar offer from bitsdujour.

malwaretips.com/threads/hard-disk-sentinel-standard-5-01-lifetime-license.78556/

>5900 RPM
Is that real?

I have an old ASUS laptop that's been running smoothly for about 5 years, and I put that thing through hell. I haven't even cleaned it out or dusted it yet. So it can take some abuse, but don't risk it if you want it to last.

Attached: howmanypoweronhours.png (878x1006, 112K)

>a million little details about your drives
What more can it do than CrystalDiskInfo?

as i can see not much, it has build in benchmarks and other shit, but the SMART readings are the same

download the lastest CrystalDiskInfo

Buy it dipshit

it is

Attached: howmanypoweronhours2.png (306x32, 2K)

>have a momentus xt that has 50k+ on it
Im convinced its a zombie at this point

CDI can't track stats over time to reveal trends, monitor temperatures and performance, log and report issues including those detected but not reported by Windows itself, predict failure reasonably accurately, allow setting drive parameters such as TLER and preserve them across reboots, integrate with Explorer and desktop gadgets, automatically invoke other tools (such as backups) when problems are detected, nor does it have a full test suite for testing the stability and performance of a drive across several different load patterns, revealing weak sectors or entire areas - non-destructively or as destructively as you wish. It can also run the built-in drive tests.

HD Sentinel is not just some "show SMART attributes" type of application, there's dozens of those and all of them useless on their own. HDS is the full package, and the information it produces makes very short work of getting manufacturers to accept RMAs. It's one of the best softwares I've never bought.

>CDI can't track stats over time to reveal trends, monitor temperatures and performance, log and report issues
This just proves that you have never looked past the main screen. It can do all that.

Can it do the rest though?

>issues including those detected but not reported by Windows itself
Like what?
>predict failure reasonably accurately
Based on what?
>allow setting drive parameters such as TLER and preserve them across reboots
Don't know what that is
>integrate with Explorer and desktop gadgets
Is it 2007?
>automatically invoke other tools (such as backups) when problems are detected
Nope
>does it have a full test suite for testing the stability and performance of a drive across several different load patterns
No
>revealing weak sectors or entire areas - non-destructively or as destructively as you wish
Sounds like bullshit
>It can also run the built-in drive tests.
Okay?

lol wtf mspaint

Attached: 1553018236917.jpg (554x418, 48K)

post total lbas written

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-21 10-48-25.png (923x807, 131K)

>>issues including those detected but not reported by Windows itself
>Like what?
Windows reports issues with drives in the Event Viewer, but there's no further notification to the user unless SMART itself is reporting a problem, and at that point it's often too late. HDS can catch those and log/alert (off by default).

>>integrate with Explorer and desktop gadgets
>Is it 2007?
Showing drive status in My Computer/This PC is not a bad idea mate.

>>revealing weak sectors or entire areas - non-destructively or as destructively as you wish
>Sounds like bullshit
See picture. The dark green blocks indicate sectors that took an abnormal amount of time to read successfully. See how they form patterns? Those areas will eventually result in reallocations. Weeks, months or even years from now, but eventually they will fail. The average drive test tool would show this drive as perfectly healthy. An actual healthy drive shows no such things. This is particularly useful when testing drives for early failure, if they show any of this, return or RMA immediately because it's a time bomb.

Attached: WDC_WD10EARS-00Y5B1.jpg (1070x770, 336K)

Turning them on and off every day puts considerable strain on the drives if you want to use them as long term storage. Either only spin them up every like 3 months and when needed OR leave them spinning 24/7.

ssd fag mad his storage device will never last as long

You fucking wot? Are you mentally ill? Did you get hit in the head or something? The same goes for SSDs it's just not mechanical degradation but electronic.
I know that this is a consumer larper board but come the fuck on kiddo.
If you want those HDDs to last longer don't stop start them all the time, same with SSDs.

How much data you have on your ssd in total.

about 690GB

not even one petabyte

about 1TB on my two SSDs and about 11TB on my 4x4TB HDDs. Whats your point?

thats a whole lotta jav

I don't like jav desu but it's a lot of shitposting material. And rare movies and music I enjoy. And about a TB of work related stuff.

ssds are garbage

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-21 11-30-39.png (180x45, 3K)

Just need 10 of these then

Attached: 1537506423647.png (970x545, 78K)

Absolute babies.

Attached: 190321_13-35-28.png (1008x687, 773K)

You can write 4,800 TB on a 4TB 860 PRO SSD.

Attached: 1536867707758.png (678x381, 143K)

Attached: Untitled.png (429x330, 15K)

i hoarded movies when torrenting was cool when i was 15 but im okay with just netflix and hulu now. Sure i cant watch exactly what i want, unless i pay for it on amazons service, but its a whole lot less of a headache than managing all that data.

also 1tb of work stuff on your personal computer seems like a lot dont you have a work laptop and company cloud storage on box or dropbox?

I don't do an ordinary office job. I got a work laptop but I only use that when I am at a client cause I got a workstation at work and my PC when I work from home. And we do got our own file server but I mirror that because I am a paranoid fuck.

>managing all that data
Yeah man, looking through a folder with hundreds of movies in it is pretty rough. And when you get a new one, you have to put it in the folder, I mean who needs that noise?

>If you want those HDDs to last longer don't stop start them all the time, same with SSDs.
This is simply meaningless in any real-world scenario of a home user.

The determining factor in how long any drive lasts is the manufacturing. Just like the silicon lottery with overclocking CPUs, it comes down to how close you got to a "perfect" sample. Run time, start count, hell even temperature are all far, far smaller factors in how long a drive will last.

Like the fpbp said, it's pretty much luck. A hard drive might fail in 2 hours or still be working after 16 years, and there's very little you can do to influence that.

>Uploading files from your IP range has been blocked due to abuse.
imgur.com/a/kELQ3OP
7 years

I ran a Samsung drive since 2009, both with the default power saving setting that spun it down and without it later on when I figured it out. Still works to this day without issues with 62k hours on power and some thousands of power-ons. In the end hard drive failure can be completely random.