RAM is severely overrated

RAM is severely overrated.

I have 4GB on the laptop I use for normie-tier tasks. The desktop environment + kernel take something like 345MB. A web browser with six or seven tabs needs less than 1.5GB.

I have literally never went beyond the 3GB of memory.

Besides gayming, I don't see any task in which a normal user would need more than 4GB.

Attached: download_more_RAM.png (624x594, 336K)

You underestimate normie usage. An "office manager" type with Outlook, several Excel sheets, huge PDFs, Accounting software, 20 browser tabs open etc needs 8-16GB to not complain.

>Besides gayming, I don't see any task in which a normal user would need more than 4GB.
Obviously not a Chrome or Electron user.

>You underestimate normie usage. An "office manager" type with Outlook, several Excel sheets, huge PDFs, Accounting software, 20 browser tabs open etc needs 8-16GB to not complain.

Jesus Christ where do I start? That's not what an office manager's computer looks like.

As someone with 4GB of DDR3 1600MHz ram, you're all fucking Facebook moms for needing all that RAM.

lil bitchboi
iz gots me dem 32 gb ram and some 10 gb virtual ram

Do you even work? In my office we struggle with 8GB on our laptops for office work due to exactly what was noted by We have tons of documents and multiple web browser instances loaded at any given time,
At home I'm consistently running in to mylimit on 16gb of ram due to VMs and other needed tools for build environments.
Do you just use your PC for browsing and nothing else?

I just do what I'm asked to do eg. "make my computer faster" and bill accordingly user.

>does pretty much nothing on his laptop
>doesn't need a lot of ram
Suprising

that's because you're an unemployed neckbeard, OP.

Woah what website is this? I need more ram

>six or seven tabs

user, I...

I'm an IT Director and my usage right now at work is 6.19Gb total.

That's chrome with 14 tabs, Gsuite's gmail interface right now is running at 715,000k on its own, 5 Google sheets tabs at about 270,000k each, a lot of the other tools I run are quite low memory, CMD, calc, remote desktop to about 2-3 other servers, software to program our phone system excel with a few sheets open. I don't use even use outlook. This is on Win7

But you can get chrome to the 3-4Gb usage mark on its own no problem.

At home chromes at 2.5Gb total across about the same number of tabs, but I'm also running my dev tools (mysql, asp.net iis, visual studio) as well as torrenting and hosting my media library on the web, running steam and discord and skype. My total memory usage at home is 8.3Gb out of 16Gb on Win10 so if I was to start a modern game I'd be using in the 12-14Gb range. I'll be moving to 32Gb at home soon and probably put another 8Gb in at work as I frequently run out.

Especially nowadays with everything being made in Electron, thus running an entire instance of Chromium for each different solution.

I've been using 12gb since 2010 and 16gb since 2014
Going back to 8 is extremely noticeable and 4 is dogshit

haha t. brainlet
just make more desktops with ctrl + alt + D

This. My machine is generally below 10GB with similar kinds of software. But we do work with video game + their editors and rendering where memory usage is 32GB for most of our workstations. So glad ram is dropping in price again so purchasing will stop being a pain.
MacOSX is a pig though. They don't run with less than 8GB of ram despite being only office machines where mail just explodes and breaks all the time. Whilst chrome runs at the same time.
My actual personal home laptop only has 4GB ram and a passive core my5 processor and its fine for YouTube tier crap.

just use vim, BRO.

Given that we recently did a rollout to up the RAM of our workstations from 64gb to 128gb, the office PCs from 16 to 32 and the conf room PCs from 8 to 16, plenty of people have been hitting walls with 16gb.
There's only so much proprietary software you can have up before it starts to chug, let alone when you're working with large excel sheets and browsing shit. Let alone the people who are doing CAD and CFD all day.

>Do you just use your PC for browsing and nothing else?
Yes, because I'm not a faggot. All your kiddie bullshit VM projects are kiddie bullshit.

I want my home system to have 128 GB of ram
Should I do it?

It's cheap to do these days if you're on a LGA2011 used xeon meme, 8x16gb DDR3 ECC 1866mhz costs about $230

>RAM is severely overrated.

Not if you do 3D animation or game development work. I have 16GB of RAM and sometimes the software I use can still cut it close.

tempting, but DDR3 is going to start raising in price in the next 8 months, so I'd rather not fuck myself over right on the eve of DDR3 EoL

Don't forget CAD and CFM, where if you're doing a complicated project it can happily eat all your RAM, or editing video from even a decent but completely consumer 4K camera like a BMPCC4K. 16gb doesn't cut it at all in those applications.

>Using your tools for more then consumer consumption is kiddie bullshit!
LAMO, whatever retard.

i have 8gb ram in my desktop and have never had any issues at all gaming with it
not that im playing latest triple a games at 120fps max or anything tho

New idea for a startup, "rent ram" like DaaS

I love it. RAM as a Service.
Where do I throw my investment $$$?

Yes there's absolutely nothing to be gained from having internet access besides consumerism whatsoever. Jesus Christ.

>My facebook and Jow Forums postings are valid content creation! I'm productive!
LAMO, whatever retard.

Wait you haven't heard the full story. You see, a physical ram stick installation can be a pain and there's a risk of getting a cut. To fix this, our services are in the CLOUD. All users have to download a program which connect to our services and they get ram boom.

I'm writing the check right now, who do I make it out to!?!

Ah yes there's nothing that can be done with internet access besides content creation.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Computers for most jobs dont require to much memory or cpu clock.
I think the only jobs that requires a gpu and a ram over than 8 gb are people how work with 3d rendering or photoshop

>345MB
Not everyone uses shitty gentoo.

>Outlook
*e-mail client
>Excel sheets
*spreadsheets

Please stop promoting Microsoft's propietary malware.

To my account here. We're gonna change the world!

Attached: dumpsterfire2.jpg (800x800, 92K)

Try using any cad or 3d modeling software for a bunch of hours. Every software just shits himself and start leaking so you'll end up with a bunch of medium sized assembled pieces taking 16 GB of ram.

Now try with windows 10, spotify and slack

simply browsing the web in 2019 requires that much ram.

I have 3GB of RAM and use zram whenever it goes over that. It's actually pretty performant whenever I start pushing the limits all things considered.

past 4gb ram only an ssd will make your computer feel faster.