I tried Ubuntu 18.04 for my thinkpad. It won't sleep when I close the lid, seems to boot slowly...

I tried Ubuntu 18.04 for my thinkpad. It won't sleep when I close the lid, seems to boot slowly, seems choppy in general, touchpad is whack. Will these problems go away if I update it or are these signs of a poorly polished OS and are there more problems under the surface which will come up as I use it more?

I use the laptop 95% for web browsing.

Attached: 1200px-Ubuntu_18.10.png (1200x675, 701K)

Other urls found in this thread:

getsol.us/home/
distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20190318#kubuntu
dell.com/community/Inspiron/Suspend-resume-problems-on-Ubuntu-18-04/td-p/6072410
itsfoss.com/ubuntu-close-lid-suspend/
iam.tj/prototype/enhancements/Windows-acpi_osi.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics#Tearing
github.com/Blackfin/xfce4-tear-free
github.com/bauca/graphics-switcher
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

gnome DE version poobuntu 18.04 uses is extraordinary crap, it has performance issues (that persist to this day, unless you use wayland which has it's own problems) and a memory leak that may or may not be fixed also and don't be surprised that at some point DE randomly crashes because of that

I wanted no fuss working out the box desktop/web browser and thought Ubuntu would fit the bill because it's the most mainstream.

If the current version is bad, what would you recommend? I could use Windows 10 but it's a bit of a resource hog and I don't want to bother with anti virus.

Not him but seriously get Kubuntu. It's Ubuntu but it comes with the only all-around good DE, KDE Plasma. No fuss and the configurability is on par with Windows too.

>I wanted no fuss working out the box desktop/web browser
Solus
getsol.us/home/
does not get in your way and jsut werks if web browser is all you care about
don't forget to install the tlp package, no matter what distro you use

if you really want ubuntu just get the latest version 18.10

>install gentoo
>browse the web with curl exclusively

The latest version of Kubuntu or Manjaro and avoid every distro with gnome.

>boot slowly
yap same problem tried to update kernel headers and nothing...
install 16.04 its doing the job better on laptops hardware

works on my machine
/thread

>using sleep

Kubuntu fucking sucks, way too much bloat. If you want the latest and greatest Plasma use KDE Neon

>"Kubuntu fucking sucks, way too much bloat"
>"use KDE Neon "

Attached: 2627848905375315.jpg (500x489, 37K)

tfw use xubuntu
my main complaint is the screen locker dims the screen on wake, although it's solvable by switching to a tty and back (and praying)

takes a while to cold boot, but I'd amount that to the 32GB eMMC and Intel N3050

dims might have been the wrong word choice
"completely turns off the backlight" (screen still on)

Install both and let me know which has more bloat you retard

Ubuntu USED to be the very relatively reliable and stable flagship distro for a long time, especially in the period of Unity DE which Canonical abandoned, then it switched to crap that is Gnome 3.x

Solus Budgie is solid and modern looking, decent even for normalfriends from my experience. It's a small project, so less documented by forumtards tho.

Maybe Debian if you're ok with older, but stable software.

Arch is pretty good and well documented these days, so you could try Antergos (graphical installer variant basically) with it's choice of DEs and WMs. Haven't had problems with it for 2 years and Antergos is my go-to for a quick, easy, preconfigured install, in contrast of lengthy, autistic manual configuring and ricing your interface.

Anything but Gnome really.

>And then people calls you a NEET for taking one Saturday afternoon to install Arch Linux...

Hey but Ubuntu """just works""" right??

inb4 fatarchdude.jpg

The memory leak is in MInt* too. I tracked it down while drinking but now I've forgotten which fucker it was.

16.04 LTS is still supported with Unity.

i have no probs with fedora, user

make sure you get the HE kernel

>Install both and let me know which has more bloat you retard
distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20190318#kubuntu

Linux Mint is basically green Ubuntu with community fixes and a more traditional desktop.

install 18.04 hwe stack, gnome-tweaks and tlp (plus whatever extra stuff is mentioned in the faq)

Kubuntu is too buggy, xserver stopped working on my laptop after the computer automatically suspended because of low battery

Yeah personally I'd go OpenSuSE before Kubuntu.

>Will these problems go away
Nah. GNU/Linux is a DIY operating system, no matter how hard devs of distros like Ubuntu try to change that.

Don't mess with Linux if you don't like to tinker. Me, I can't imagine why someone who loves computers wouldn't like to tinker.

Ubuntu LTS is no more 'DIY' than Windows 10 is these days. If you want an OS with 'no tinkering', iOS might be your best bet.

I put Manjaro on an older Acer laptop and it's been working very well. I'm not a very experienced linux user, so I just tried out a few until I got something that felt similar to windows.

Should have used 18.10

You mean mac OS? You can tinker more with that than you can with Windows since it comes with a proper *NIX CLI toolset and shell, unlike the failed abortion syscall emulator that is WSL

Nope I meant iOS.

Ubuntu’s Gnome is dogshit. I don’t know how they managed to fuck it up so much, but it’s a lagfest and bugfest. If you want good Gnome experience get Fedora or Arch. If you want to stick with Ubuntu get Xubuntu or Ubuntu Mate. If you want everything to just work get Linux Mint with Cinnamon. I always used to advocate for Ubuntu, but it seems to be going downhill.

I use Windows 10 without any issues since day one. 3D modeler, some coding, drawing ( "uh" games ) ... Not once seen a blue-screen or any issues.

I found and started using Linux using "Ubuntu" back in 14.04... Currently only 18.04. No issues since using 14.04 till now. Aside from ( "Muh" Games ) Which I don't play on linux in any form anyway. No issues.

Desktops/laptops for both. Something is wrong with your laptop or you fucked something up.

Attached: ElfREEEEE.jpg (618x875, 59K)

use fedora, devuan, or opensuse
better than that ubuntu dogshit

>"hey guise which OS should I put on my thinkpad (AKA a slow laptop)"
>faggots recommending KDE, a resource hog DE instead of XFCE/LXDE/LXQT (don't use the last one tho, it's shit made by trannies)
just another episode of Jow Forums being retarded as usual

I have an x100e with Ubuntu Server + i3 + PulseAudio, and I haven't had any performance issues whatsoever. i3 is definitely one of the most lean and snappy environments I've ever used.

you need to reinstall that shit in legacy boot mode with uefi completely disabled. i found that sorted out a lot of power management issues with ubuntu on my dell precision laptop. in regard to the sleep / hibernate mode and closing the lid, that specific problem could be related to other issues as well. explore here:
- dell.com/community/Inspiron/Suspend-resume-problems-on-Ubuntu-18-04/td-p/6072410
- itsfoss.com/ubuntu-close-lid-suspend/
- iam.tj/prototype/enhancements/Windows-acpi_osi.html

then you may want to make some changes to your config regarding graphics. if you're using integrated intel graphics, a config like this should help: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics#Tearing or this: github.com/Blackfin/xfce4-tear-free (don't be fooled by those links being arch or xfce specific, tearing on intel graphics occurs under pretty much all distros, except ones that use recent versions of kde plasma).

if you're using a very recent amd or nvidia gpu, don't expect stellar compatibility either. it may work well, it may not. either way, in that regard, scripts like this help when switching between GPUs: github.com/bauca/graphics-switcher bumblebee is another option, and offers more convenience when set up correctly, but it's more complex and buggy.

as far as the touchpad goes, there are many tweaks you can make .xinputrc in your home folder. look up other people's tweaks and get a feel for what you like. also look at synclient, through which you can accomplish similar things. enjoy getting your shit setup the way you like, and never fucking upgrade to a non-LTS version, ever. not once. don't even think about it. LTS is where it's at.

Dude that's not Ubuntus issue, it's your shity chinkpad. I run 18.10 cosmic cuttlefish on my rig and it runs perfectly fine. Stop spouting your false rhetoric about these kind of distros just to make people use an overcomplicated pile of crap like Gentoo.

Is it not pointless to advance in technology and then go on to use distros like Gentoo where you literally take a step back in progress because of all the stupid shit you have to fix every time you want to open a web browser?