Facebook Stored Hundreds of Millions of User Passwords in Plain Text for Years

BRUH... LOOK AT THIS DUDE

>Hundreds of millions of Facebook users had their account passwords stored in plain text and searchable by thousands of Facebook employees — in some cases going back to 2012, KrebsOnSecurity has learned

OH NONONONONONONONONO *BREATHES IN*

>The Facebook source said the investigation so far indicates between 200 million and 600 million Facebook users may have had their account passwords stored in plain text and searchable by more than 20,000 Facebook employees. The source said Facebook is still trying to determine how many passwords were exposed and for how long, but so far the inquiry has uncovered archives with plain text user passwords in them dating back to 2012.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>My Facebook insider said access logs showed some 2,000 engineers or developers made approximately nine million internal queries for data elements that contained plain text user passwords.

>In an interview with KrebsOnSecurity, Facebook software engineer Scott Renfro said the company wasn’t ready to talk about specific numbers — such as the number of Facebook employees who could have accessed the data.

LOOK AT THE TOP OF HIS HEAD
LOOK AT HIS LIPS

krebsonsecurity.com/2019/03/facebook-stored-hundreds-of-millions-of-user-passwords-in-plain-text-for-years/

Attached: 2000px-Facebook_New_Logo_(2015).svg.png (2000x752, 22K)

Based oh nonono poster

>logged unencrypted password data
this is why web authentication is trash and you should use PAKE

>9 million
you can't make this shit up

Attached: 1552675169426.png (500x486, 288K)

Tutor for one of our entry-level IT-monkey courses from time to time
>just USE this %CORPORATION-cloud for exchanging personal files and publishing photos lmao it's easy and free look at my travel photos

We are only starting with terrible botnet security cataclysms and I'm almost not worried (that some of my shit is on there).

Literally any other company would go bankrupt after this

Is this even news at this point?
Is anybody honestly surprised about seeing facebook doing this kind of shit again?

Attached: IMG_20190315_201956_241.jpg (850x410, 69K)

so this... is the power of a harvard education...

Idk equifax seems to be doing ok

>Affects hundreds of millions of users of Facebook Lite, the service designed for users in developing countries with low bandwidth

So this was some Pajeet programmer working on an Indian app taking a short cut out of laziness and storing the passwords in plain text. What a surprise

does it really matter? I literally just use a simple password for facebook because who fucking cares if it gets hacked

dadada

How does something like that even happen?

Pajeets.

>plebonsecurity

> debug = on
> app is shipped
> five years later, some engineers decided to run du -sh /* to see what was eating 2TB of diskspace
> it's a debug log with every detail in cleartext
So, kind of like that.

will this be the final nail

Attached: 1550875305112.jpg (1018x1024, 100K)

Glowies need their state-mandated up-to-date password list

Let's put it this way -- they have a record of selling users private data.

There's no room for any more nails on that fucking coffin

The rich are above the law

Too big to fail.
Nobody will dare to hold them accountable for this. You could show that Facebook employees fap to private nudes of 12 year olds and politicians would look the other way, some probably asking for access.

based