The state of UEFI

BIOS is also being deprecated in 2020 by Intel!
So, here are two ways to build on UEFI:

gnu-efi: Seems easy as first, but of course it's fucked to the point you have to change multiple files for it to even fucking work!

EDK II toolchain: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA FAGGOT GOOD LUCK ON GETTING THIS WORKING CONSIDERING EVEN THE TUTORIAL IS FUCKED

Jesus fucking christ

Attached: kms.png (800x600, 108K)

>complaining about free shit on anime internets
go and fix it, dipshit

OP here, I got gnu-efi to work I'm just really bad at following instructions.
EDK II is still a complete trainwreck lmfao

and gnu-efi fucked up

shit doesn't that mean Daz's loader will finally be dead for Win7

>buying intel after the 2017 hardware exploit train wreck
>using efi shit
with all due respect, kys

Enterprise and Professional accept KMS activation.

Gymmiboot/systemd-boot just werks

Does the end of bios essentially mean computers will turn into smartphones with all the rom shittery?

No. You can still boot and install different OSes as you always could, you'll just need a different partition layout.

No

and at this point I see no reason not to use GPT or UEFI for that matter other than NEW BAD, OLD GOOD

If you have a disk larger than 2TB, you need GPT. MBR does not support those sizes.

easiest way to pirate windows 7 requires MBR

this is nice as systemd allows rm -rf efivars

using uefi
why

> .exe
I wonder if Windows is even supported.
> it's fucked to the point you have to change multiple files for it to even fucking work!
You are compiling on Windows, I appreciate your effort, but MS never cared about developers outside of their stack (VS, WinAPI, etc). Also,
> comic sans

fuck
is it really that much safer to just avoid efi for linux entirely
I wanted to try it, maybe it'd make boot process smoother and faster, but would it even have that effect if it worked?
The main reason I avoid EFI (and many others do) is, of course, because efi boot entries are written and stored in efi firmware itself, which is a fucking mess, huge pain in the ass, and it just sometimes makes stuff broken (or seem broken, or extra broken) when it's not actually broken at all. It's like it lives in a weird world of it own where people don't change OSes or hard disks like, ever, and definitely don't boot from removable media
is it gonna get better in the next efi spec or are we doomed forever
i hate efi, are there even any reasons to love it, or at least like it enough to live with the pain

OLD GOOD, NEW BAD

As mentioned previously, you need to use GPT for it, which means you can have larger hard drive sizes.
It's also supposedly less susceptible to boot sector viruses that plagued BIOS systems.

There's also secure boot. That thing is a massive clusterfuck, but at its core it was a really good idea. Basically a thing that prevents some random CIAnigger fuck from sticking a USB in your computer and running malicious stuff. The problem, from what I understand, was that it was controlled by the manufacturer, and there was an initial FSF scare over it possibly locking users out from installing GNU/Linux on things. That turned out not to be the case it seems, as you can just disable it, but currently I don't think it lets you reassign the secureboot check to your own OS signature. Maybe in a future specification.

You do know you can just use grub right? It literally just works

Fuck it, just use rEFInd or something. I used that to boot Linux on an old Core2 Duo MacBook a few years ago. Works fine for Linux.

Some will. There are already manufacturers like ASUS or MSI who don't build their UEFI implementations to the proper specifications. I once had an ASUS laptop with no option to add keys or turn off Secure Boot, essentially locking me into Windows 8.1 or 10.

>partition device with gpt
>set 1gb boot partition
>format boot partition fat32
>mount to /boot
>determine uuid of root partition
>use efibootmgr to create boot entry
>reboot

hmm... tough.

Just mod your UEFI/BIOS.

What's really disappointing me with secure boot is that I can't manage the keystore. If I could just remove keys for Windows and sign my own keys for my distribution it would be fucking great but noooo. Not only can I prevent Windows from booting on my system, I can't even boot my distro without turning the whole thing off.

And a lot of those things anger me about efi. There were some good ideas but in practise it's bloated as fuck and we can't change things like secure boot which makes that feature useless to me. However I think a efi that could run free software could be great.