Weirdest computer errors

Weirdest computer errors
What were the weirdest computer issues you have experienced? Bonus if you could never fix it

Attached: 1468257903433.jpg (497x576, 75K)

Test

My USB devices used to randomly disconnect.
Turns out my CPU OC was very slightly too high and it was causing instability in the southbridge somehow. Lowering the OC by a tiny bit fixed the issue.

Took forever to think of the fix. I couldn't find forums about it or anything, I just thought up the possibility one day while reading about what the southbridge does.

My 2012 macbook ran out of battery while I was debugging my Swift macOS project. When I turned on my computer with it plugged in, everyime i would open xcode and build, it would crash.

Solution? Turn off your computer and restart it

This one time, after the siivagunner channel went down, I wanted to add a feature to my discord bot to play a random song from their channel on command (I found a 90gb+ torrent of the thousands of songs they uploaded)
It worked, but then I wanted to add a search feature. I imported a search library to the best of my ability and then went to try it out. I searched for “zone of the Enders” in file explorer and got a hit. Then I tried to get the bot to play a song with the search term “zone of the enders” and it started playing the correct song. So it worked, right? Well, as it turned out, it wasn’t actually searching correctly, it just played the last song in the folder alphabetically, which, out of the thousands of songs, just so happen to be zone of the enders

All of the usb ports on my computer (mobo, front panel, all of them) trip overcurrent really easily (not _instantly_, but way too easily, like the backlight on my keyboard will trip it). I read online this could be caused by knocking a jumper off the board, which I remembered doing last time I had opened the thing, so I bought some and tried a bunch of different combos. Nothing worked. I called Asus and they immediately wanted to RMA. I ended up just buying a powered hub, which solves the issue enough

My USB WiFi adapter isn't working on Windows 10 Pro, I've tried the drivers that came with the USB, the windows ones and the realtek ones.

The strange thing is that it seems to work for a while, then it goes into extrem slow velocity, and drops packets trying with ping windows sometimes say that it's the DNS, proxy that can't be detected, default getaway failing. And, the stick was supposed to be Linux friendly and the drivers included can't be installed (the script search for files that doesn't exist).
I got tired from this shit and asked for a refund, I will buy a PCI WiFi instead.

Disable powersaving options.

long time ago on my xp machine I installed nfs game (dont remember which one, it had black edition), It was retail iso and needed patching. After installing I just clicked run (without patching) and it worked, played for like few hours, next time tried running and it didnt work and I had to patch it

When I was using my old XP machine, it randomly froze every now and then.
It literally took me a couple of years to realize USB Wi-Fi adapter was the problem.

>be me
>go to one of our locations to reboot a few litecoin miners that aren't hashing
>unplug the power supplies and let them rest for a minute before plugging back in
>one machine isn't shutting down
>it's been unplugged for 3 whole minutes, fans still spinning full speed

>No way it's still got a charge left in the circuits for this long, only explanation I can think of is RF induction from the power supplies on each side of it was giving it enough juice to keep the fans running.

Attached: IMG_20190205_125337.jpg (4032x3024, 3.02M)

It's disabled, but nothing changes

windows shutting down randomly due to corrupted DLL files. fixed it with sfc /scannow of course. why on earth is the system designed to an hero under normal usage

Here is another
>moms old dell pentium 4 pc keeps freezing on boot
>replace hard drive, blow out dust, still freezing
>notice high pitched whine, check mobo, blown cap
>order new cap, meanwhile try booting debian for kicks
>debian boots, runs fine, never freezes, it just werkz
>never even replaced the cap! pretty sure it did eventually die

OK, it happened when I was about 10 years younger
> dad gives me a used Acer
> 1280x800, Thinkpad-like lock, 15.4
> I fiddle with it a lot
> one time, I close the lid, go and nap for a bit
> wake up and decide to reinstall the OS
> unscrew the bottom lid, take out the HDD, plug it into a PC to copy all the files, do that, then quick format
> put it back in
> power on
> Windows is resuming
> wat
> it powers on like nothing happened
> I enter the password and could open the browser, read files, etc
> didn't bluescreen at all, so I powered it off and started the reinstall

Not a error, more like a miracle.

My Logitech G400 randomly shut down my computer. The only mouse I've ever owned that did weird shit.

>if I plug or unplug an audio device in my front case port, it initiates a soft shut down

Attached: CBNK6Iw_d.jpg (640x448, 28K)

Anything Firefox does. Just updated to version 66 and now certain images won't zoom in.

That's normal. It's supposed to do that.

> The strange thing is that it seems to work for a while, then it goes into extrem slow velocity, and drops packets
It overheats. Crack it open and glue a $0.5 aluminium radiator onto it with thermal glue. SImilar story:
> mom brings a usb drive
> it's broken, wat do
> isn't detected on Linux
> shows "empty drive" on Windows
> probably fucking fucked, big time
> mom calls after some time
> no mom, couldn't manage to do anything
> decide to plug it in as we speak
> miraculously, it is detected
> then does away
> what if it cooled down when it was on a shelf?
> freeze it in the freezer
> it opens, lasts about 20 seconds, goes away
> I plug a USB extension cord to my laptop, to the drive in the freezer
> copy all files safely like a boss

Attached: fe58fb93640cc29ca0f035f0d9ae3d39.jpg (720x960, 88K)

>going through devices that havent phoned home in 3 weeks
>a 2010 mbp hasnt reported in for 6 months
>marked as not found in 2 previous inventory checks
>last ticket was 9 months ago
>last reply: "I'll drop it with [dept head] this afternoon"
>tell boss
>make ticket with department head
>phone tag for a week before i call him when he's in
>he says the device had a swollen battery and they didnt want to repair it
>he claims they gave it to us, that they never got it back
>escalate situation to boss, few days later he says it's being written off
>1 month later, laptop disappears from missing devices list
>it's phoned home from a residential IP
>tell boss, legal gets involved, give statements to police
>2 months later, secretary to the head of academic integrity and student govt is arrested in her office
>charged with grand theft, over $10k in stolen property from 4 departments
never expected to get closure on that laptop
why anyone would steal a 7 yr old device is beyond me

>macbook pro starting to act weird
>starts getting really hot
>look at hard drive and the space is going down rapidly
>open activity monitor
>two weird processes going on
>quit them, system returns to normal
>have to quit these every time this starts happening
>this goes on for about a year
>eventually macbook just dies and i have to replace video card to fix it

when someone turns off the bathroom lights, my lcd monitor blinks black screen

hey it's me your computer
turn on the lights i'm scared

another story from that job
>deploying new version of os x
>only a few tickets about some older printers, easy fixes so far
>get a call, upgrade failed
>remove in to investigate
>she doesnt remember what the error message said
>check specs, it is definitely capable of running sierra
>it's even got an ssd
>realize it has an ssd, not a 1 tb hdd
>check storage space
>2 gb free
>primary user has over 200gb...in the trash
>open trash
>2 folders
>Good Trash
>Bad Trash
>90% of the files are pictures of events the department hosts
>ask user why she stores everything in the trash
>"You told me not to save stuff to the desktop in case the computer crashes"
>have to mute mic while coworker and i regain composure
>have to explain saving to network drive to her
>department purchases external drive for her, move files over, upgrade works

Restart button could be wired into or interfering with the lines to the front audio ports since they're usually next to each other on the motherboard

My Dell monitor causes my computer to freeze if I turn it on after booting my computer or if I turn off the monitor and turn it back on while the computer is still running.

r9 290x will not work in a motherboard that it has been reported to work with (dq67sw)

board works
other gpus work

yes, i tested multiple psus/cables
yes, i flashed the bios

it doesnt work.

the r9 290x works JUST FINE in any other mobo including a c2d optiplex

My Lan won't work unless I disabled the driver and then re-enable it.
Installed a WiFi card.
Same issue.
Reinstall OS
Nothing changes.

A Dying RAM module on a video card. The card would be fine for gaming, 2D/3D applications, then the card would randomly cut out with audio still going. Changed cables and same result. The card would have it happen regardless of how much RAM was being used.

>became paranoic to glowing niggers thanks to Jow Forums
>Buy new HDD, encrypt it using the partitioner from openSUSE
>Mover all my important files over
>Specifically mark with "do not mount on boot" on the partitioner
>HDD still tries to mount on boot and asks for the HDD password
>pressing Enter 3 times will *sometimes* proceed to a normal boot to my desktop where I can mount the HDD if needed with the password.
>Most of the time it will not boot and just get stuck at a loading screen. Hard reset needed
>Pressing the down arrow while on the password screen will load the console, you can see it is asking for the password for the HDD. Pressing enter 3 times on the console will always load the desktop as normal.

Pls halp. How do I make sure it doesn't try to mount the drive on boot ?

I bought a new laptop that was prioritizing a single internet connection, essentially locking me out of everything else that required internet (i.e downloding a file would block me from browsing websites). I eventually threw in some winblows updates and it fixed itself kek

Maybe it's still in fstab.

Makes you appreciate dmesg a little more doesn’t it?

Had this issue for over 6 years.

>when initiating shut down, all my components would turn off correctly except for fans and lights
>fans would be jittering back and forth and lights would flicker on and off quickly
>only way to stop this would be to turn off PSU

Tried a new PSU, new case, new fans. Only stopped when I changed the mobo and CPU as well, but at that point it’s pretty much a new computer. Probably an issue with the old mobo.

My picture and sound occasionally freeze every couple of weeks and give a bluescreen after like five seconds. Still haven't found a pattern.

Most likely

Check system logs? What error is it giving? Could be a gpu crapping out.

I don't know, I usually cut the power before the bluescreen because frozen sound is like a stab to the heart.

>Second monitor has yellow tint
>I've tried different color profiles(and everything suggested online)
>Changed cables
>Changed the manual monitor settings
>Changed display ports
>Tried 3 different monitors same problem on all 3

Funny thing is that the monitors worked fine before plugging them on my computer.

Back in 2005, I bott up my computer and everything was turned 90 degree clockwise, I had to re-install my GPU driver.
To this day I don't know what caused it.

>laptop cpu fan died
>on boot it beeps and auto shuts off after giving an error saying there's no fan
>mashing F9-F12 during boot overrides the error screen 75% of the time

Fuck, all of my computers do this.

I had a HP laptop, DV6 pavilion or something.
It would get BSoD at random times mostly when I transfer files, I check everything, HDD, RAM, even did a fresh install.
Eventually I figured it out after running a stress test, The CPU had two physical cores, and one of those had issues, faulty maybe?? I don't know, so my fix was to disable it.
The problem was the core disabling feature only works after windows completely boots up so there was a 50% chance it would get BSoD, and even then it was very slow.
It was very nice laptop with very good keyboard.
Never figured out how to fix it.

Attached: 1552215199433.jpg (1200x1200, 1.16M)

>be me
>gtx 760 owner.
>gpu starts to artefact like no tomorrow and ram dies
>replaced both , the gpu was now a gtx 1060
>ffw around 2 years later.
>1060 dies due to shitty case short circuited the mobo abd took the gpu with it but the mobo works fine surprisingly.

>decides to reuse the gtx 760 for some reason.
>works perfectly even at high loads under both linux and windows

It's now in my pc while i try to gather some money to pay for warrenty shipping

Maybe someone can explain to me.
A few years back, I had a Windows 7 machine that I'd been using for like a decade.
In the program list, there was an entry for a program that I had no idea what it was.
The icon was the basic Java icon.
The name was ???????????????
And the publisher was just some chinese website where the url was just numbers.
I never managed to uninstall it. At the same time, Avast, Windows Defender, and MWB never ever found anything. What the fuck was it?

It's some shit not connecting properly on the inside.
The same thing can be caused by a cable pin not transmitting one colour signal (green + red = yellow, so you're missing blue), except in your case it's not cable that's faulty but something on the inside near the cable port.

When this happened to me, I just unscrewed the thing and fiddled around.
After a couple minutes I decided everything is packed so tight I can't do shit.
Screwed it back in, and it worked. Still working to this day but I'm always scared of moving it.

You can try for a miracle fix like this.
But because shit inside monitors is TIGHT you probably won't be able to properly make sure everything connects the right way.
It's a little DYI project worth trying. Worked for me.

>dad's laptop start to have issues
>he take it to "local PC repair shop"
>after he bring it back he call me because windows crash whenever he eject his USB flash drive
>try to re-produce the problem to see what's going on
>the entire HDD is mounted as removable storage device

>frozen sound is like a stab to the heart.
This.

Surf link hints not working.

Malware.

ive tried 3 different monitors and its the same, if something is loose its on the viewport side but then again i've also connected my primary monitor to the same port and it works fine

>windows 10 on a decently specced laptop
>main C drive space is being eaten @ around 600MB a second
>no weird processes or programs running
>restarting doesn't do anything
>safe mode doesn't do anything
>run multiple anti-virus programs

>it just goes away

Wtf?

>Discover that cycling through Win+P saves each option as individual monitor setups
>Extend for 3 main monitors
>Projector Only for watching anime on my ceiling in bed
>Update breaks this
Thank you Windows

Attached: 1507784659997.png (1024x768, 821K)

openSUSE doesn't boot in my t420 tried uefi and legacy nothing it just doesn't see the hd after installation.

Now stick to slow as fuck ubuntu.

Could only play cod4 with a 360 microphone plugged into a 360 controller although the game in no way supported a controller

Bad hdd mine did the same with the same jarring buzz

Played with my registry one day back around when I was 14. idk what I was doing, then my computer would always gave me error about not knowing the .exe file format or something along those lines.

Not my issue but one I tried to fix. HP ProBook 450 G3, it came with Windows 10. Intel iGPU, Core i5, 8GB RAM, pretty standard config. It was being used with an external display as the primary display and the integrated display as the second display. For some applications (off the top of my head, File Explorer and Chrome), if the window was maximized on the external display the top ~1" of the window would occasionally either disappear or turn white. If it disappeared, you could see whatever was behind it, and the mouse could move over that area, but you could not interact with the missing part of the window or with any of the windows behind it. Making the application fullscreen with F11 and then reverting to maximized would fix it temporarily. To complicate things further, this only started about a year after the laptop was purchased. I tried updating and downgrading drivers, fucking with display settings both in Windows and in the UEFI, I factory restored it, then I sent it back to HP to replace the board, then I did a fresh install of Windows without the factory image, and none of it worked.

Ctrl + Alt + Up

My fly-by-wire Boeing 737 likes to randomly nose dive every now and then. Never figured out the cause.

BBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTT

I remember back in the GeForce FX 5200 era, I had a 256MB version that I managed to fuck up and replaced with a friend's leftover 128MB one. Everything glitched, some games would flicker half the screen diagonally, some games had models/textures warping all over the place, but even so, everything ran OK (just visually unpleasant/seizure inducing). Later managed to get another 128MB ver. from another brand, same shit. Everything worked OK when I swapped in a 6200. Was it the norm for 128MB FX 5200 to be fucked up?

Oh, it's not induction, i know what that is... It is a paranormal diety called Sheitan, it probably got stuck mining the crypto. Heh...Silly Sheitan

>former it job
>whiny asses down in software had gotten alienware laptops because muh compile times
>trying to figure out why they bsod frequently
>turns out its some shitty "gaming" ethernet and wifi modules called killer
>replace with cheap intel modules
>fixes most problems
pretty sure those things are only put in these things because of the name

Periodic hangups, every 2-3s the computer would hang for half a second. No virus and malware scans turned up anything. After many registry and settings diving I was dusting it out.
Notice a cap leaking something. Investigate motherboard closely, most capacitors have puffed up, one burst. The thing was still running (Abit mobo lel), but timing was fucked up, hence the hangups.
Bought an AMD mobo to salvage caps, replaced caps with mad soldering skills, computer was running as good as new.
It was 12ish years ago.

I have 128mb one up to this date and it still works fine

I was like 7 and my family had this really really old shitty dell and i tried to run google earth on it and i started clicking stuff and i found some old jumpscare video and then the computer bluescreened.

Is your cursor freexing from time to time? If yes, it sounds like an HDD failure. Download acronis drive monitor, it monitors that shit in the background for free

Random crashes and not waking from sleep that disabled everything except the power button which I had to hold for about 30 seconds. I stopped using ubuntu so I never figured out exactly what bit I doubt it was hardware because windows works fine.

Booting Windows 7 without internet connection resulted in BSOD after login.
Only disappeared after upgrade to Win10.

I had this in openbsd with my ethernet. turns out killer is just shit. works in win10 and void just fine tho

>>"You told me not to save stuff to the desktop in case the computer crashes"
good. fucking. lord.

>have couple year old am3+ mobo
>use it for a while, no problems
>stop needing it, also remodeling room
>put it in the closet for a few months
>pull it back out to use it
>wont boot
>not even a splash or bios screen
>different cpu, ram, gpu, psu
>everything but mobo
>nothin
>finally break down and buy new mobo
>fires right up no issues
>yay it works
>fuck my favorite mobo is dead from literally sitting
>bittersweet.gif

>have monitor
>got this thing like 5 years ago
>works great, no problems
>using it on my new desktop
>it wont wake the screen when it loses signal (reboot, resolution change, etc)
>have to manually turn the monitor off and on
>both gt710 and hd5450 installed for testing
>same thing for both
>but literally anything else works as intended, laptops, consoles, etc
>both gpus were use in other desktops, both never had this problem with the same monitor
>idkwtf

After turning your pc on, disconnect the switch leads from your mobo and try plugging something in. If that fixes it you have a bad/sensitive switch.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 68K)

>get new computer with windows 10
>while updates install clean up start menu
>reboot
>start menu reset to default
>clean up again
>browse random websites
>open start
>EVERYTHING IS BACK
>clean up
>disable fast startup
>problem fixed

What the fuck microsoft?

it just sends 600MB of "data" to your provider for research purposes. Don't worry user, it's supposed to do that

>i5 6600k
>testing OC's
>4.6 stable, passes stress tests
>temps kinda meh
>drop down to 4.5, same voltage
>completely unstable, can barely boot windows without crashing
>bring down to 4.4
>completely stable again

Never could figure out why 4.5 wasn't stable, voltages were same throughout

Had a rock solid stable machine that could be pushed to the max, photo editing, video encoding, gaming, you name it. Except one day it started to inevitably bluescreen when playing Fallout 3 or applying a very specific (built-in) filter in Photoshop - literally just one out of a few dozen I used on the regular.
I brushed off the Fallout thing as being a dogshit buggy piece of crap (which it is anyway) and learned to work around the PS thing.
Months later I was running memtest overnight for another reason, turned out one of the dies was failing on one specific pattern only and only at one of the higher addresses. Used this as an excuse to upgrade my ram (that was years ago when prices were still sane).
Wish i had the knowledge to find out what was causing it and how to replicate it - I used a fuckton of software back then, a lot of it memory hungry (was constantly at >90% used memory), so it's bizarre that only those two things would trigger the fault.

Attached: ram.jpg (800x533, 63K)

Stuck my dick into usb port, Windows said it had not enough capacity

Currently dealing with a random loud noise coming from my speakers on my desktop. I have no idea what's causing it. It doesn't seem to be linked to what I'm doing at the time and it doesn't happen in regular intervals.

I had a computer that would randomly (could be a few hours, could be a month) have USB ports and occasionally the whole set of ports die if any sort of wireless adapter was plugged it and would not turn on until after a restart. It didn't matter if it was the mobo slots, pcie expansion card or front case ports. It did this on Windows 8 and 10 and with Asus, Netgear and Asus adapters over 3 years. Nothing could fix the issue.

When cleaning start menu after fresh install, you need to put something else there. So lets say you clean the "Play" category, pin winrar or whatever there. If you don't, microsoft won't see it as enough change to remember it. Or just turn of fast startup...

Maybe it's picking up radio waves from time to time (if it sounds like whitenoise). My old speakers did that after i did some diy upgrades on them

Driver problem

I have dead pixels on my screen when I use Windows, but not with linux. I am so confused by it

Also my pc dies when I plugged in a 2TB HDD. Like it would slowly die
Any Tipps?

>Plug in USB drive
>Computer shuts off
Only happens with one usb drive I have, I don't remember what I put on it.

computer randomly silently crashing on waking up from hibernation / hybrid shutdown

turned out it was the virtualbox driver being shit

Computer waking up when o walk by

opensusde does this to me too lmao fuck linux

>install an ssd on a laptop and a hdd tray bay in the cd player.
everytime the laptop turns off fans continue spinning and it turns off only when batteries are discharged

>Have Logitech headphones with mic
>Connect headphones on the case back I/O. Works fine.
>Connect headphones on the front I/O. Somehow, all sound from windows and applications gets redirected to mic input. Can't use any voice chat for that reason.
I settled on using the back I/O but i could never figure it out why that would happen.