Is this still useful today...

Is this still useful today? I want to move out of OOP and have heard this book is the best baseline for every language even if C isn't as widely used today.

Attached: 51TGEPRTDNL._SX377_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (379x499, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

unhabitable-settlem.000webhostapp.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No, it has never been useful. It set back computing for 50 years.

learn Go you moron

C is still widely used, even if modern desktop programs neglect it. Anything closer to hardware is written in C. I'd wager that the majority of processor instructions that run through a typical PC come from C source. More so for servers and older computers.
That said, yes, learn C. For some reason it has a reputation of being hard to learn and hard to use, but neither of those are true. In fact, it's simpler and more elegant than languages like Java or C++.
The K&R book is definitely a good way to introduce yourself to the language if you already know how to program.
It's also nice to learn so you can understand the abstractions that higher-level languages use.

Attached: 1546158552024.jpg (720x720, 138K)

Only frustrated faggots will reply it's not.

C isn't even 50 years old, you retard.

Indeed, it will be 50 is few years, but not yet
still... it's a feature-wise clone of something that was over 5 years old at the time, just made to be compilable on low power machines.

you don't need the book but C should be the default language used for everything wherever possible.

>feature-wise clone
Hardly. CPL was designed, then BCPL was based on it with 90% of the features removed, and then B was based on BCPL with 90% of the features removed, and then C was based on B with some features added, because they had gone too far and taken too much out. The new features they added (structs, chars, floats, the preprocessor) weren't the same as the things that had been taken out.

>t. NEET

Finally someone on this board who actually studied some computing history.

t. webshitter

If you want to be an embedded systems or kernel programmer, learn C. Otherwise, learn Rust or Go which are C's modern equivalents and designed for low level userspace programming. If you want to learn high level userspace programming (anything outside of a terminal app generally), .net, java, or C++.

it absolutely helps you understand problems that you can have in any language

Attached: 1551010564773.png (1205x447, 599K)

I may know a lot but I still mostly shitpost and tell lies

>Reading in the sun

Absolutely disgusting and degenerate.

It's still useful for kernal programming because of how asm-esque it is, but outside of that it's not really worth it. Languages like C++ and Go can do everything C can and more

Honestly that's the best book to learn a language that I have ever read. Doesn't test the reader like an idiot, does not waste time with stupid examples, teaches very high concepts in one sentence, I like reading it from time to time.

the book is just fizzbuzz-level exercises to get some felling and muscle memory for the language
it doesn't teach how to design software, structure project, any fundamental concepts or knowledge, about computer and OS architecture nor practice of programming

those are innate abilities you should already have in your dna
why read some jew guy's no shit sherlock: the book
reference manuals and docs are something you read

>it doesn't teach how to design software, structure project, any fundamental concepts or knowledge, about computer and OS architecture nor practice of programming
What books would recommend for these? For computer and OS architecture, is Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective still relevant?

And what about the others?

C is a good language, and you should learn the basics sometime, but it's hardly mandatory if you just want to get away from POO. Go is good if you like simple imperative languages, and functional programming is very useful for handling complexity without shitting the bed.

3rd edition migrated to x64-64
But the whole book is pretty chaotic, takes to explain too many topics and doesn't do any really properly. Solid first-intro to each though, the uni course is good supplementary material once you get sick of reading something 24/7.

What was that documentary with Keanu Reeves narrating?

That is not a logical statement.
An atomic bomb could be assembled yesterday and set humanity back 2000 years.

Yeah but it's been more than 2000 years since the beginning so it's not really a good analogy.

>not #c#
women...

do you like my website Jow Forums?
unhabitable-settlem.000webhostapp.com

yes, it is
it is more a book about algorithms made in C than C itself
it isn't a good book to learn from 0

I see you've never read it

LISP is though. Case in point.

not him but i disagree.
im at the first chapter and its pretty alright compered for example to write great code volume 1.
it introduces the limitations of current computers and how to get around them or how you dont crash an burn.

set back computing *for* 50 years != set back computing 50 years

i have an internship coming up where they exclusively code plc boxes in c so for that i guess so.

daily reminder

Attached: the_c_programming_language.jpg (664x3432, 414K)