My high school self decided to go to a no-name university

> My high school self decided to go to a no-name university

It's over

Attached: 838.png (318x678, 298K)

assuming you live in America
the best university you can attend is the most prestigious one in your home state

>now the pointless degree isn't enough
>my college's reputation must also be good

This mindset is why smug self-taught fags get jobs and you college cucks stay cucked

My university is the third most prestigious in my state (Paying 4k a semester rather than 35k a semester is nice though)

Attached: 1023.jpg (300x218, 12K)

>my college self decided it was over
It was over

no name universitys are better because you still don't learn anythng but you pay a fraction of the cost.

>Be me
>Go to state school with average reputation
>Now make good money at a large aerospace company

Networking and drive matters more than your school by a large margin.

So for networking, when I'm at a career fair and I introduce myself, my major, what I'm in the market for, and give them my resume is it autistic to follow up with an email, just as a way to keep in contact

I also have probably 5 or 6 people via LinkedIn that I connected breifly with like a year ago, is it awkward to message them now that I'm looking for an internship and be like "Hi I'm user we talked a while ago, do you have internships"

Attached: 1507987065193.png (665x574, 251K)

>paying for (((uni)))

You're not particularly good at talking to people, are you?

I'm alright at talking. I didn't take advantage of networking last year

Shoot them a message on LinkedIn.
>"Hi, this is user."
>"We met at [career fair]. I am currently looking for internship and entry-level opportunities in [some field]."
>"I [have or working on] a [degree] in [major] and have experience with [whatever your field does]."
>"Please let me know if you are aware of anything."

>Oregon
>The only universities are two state unis and 1 shit one and a liberal arts steve jobs one.
>There's one way the fuck over somewhere but it's forgettable

>my high school self decided to quit high school after the second year and become an electrician
it could be worse user

Attached: 1541879797161.png (1014x720, 1.02M)

>not dropping out to smoke weed full time
pussy

Once you've got a few years of experience no one is going to care what university you went to unless it's Ivy League or MIT.

I went to the best school in my region of the U.S. Made no serious difference. Quit being a fagit, faggot.

>go to the most rigorious in state school you can
>all companies in the area look well upon locals
>get a job with barely any student debt

now this obviously takes some sacrifice like not living in the most expensive dorms/apartment, not getting a $2000 macbook, and not drinking $6 starbucks "coffee" drinks each day

this tbqhwyf

Nah it depends what you are going for. No one cares about your degree 5-10 years into your career. No need to burden yourself with debt.

My uni shares the same name as the most prestigious uni at my state. There are 3 universities that share the name University of . It gets a bit confusing but I hope employers are retarded enough to confuse my no name school for the ivy league one.

Attached: 1547325222772.png (680x680, 343K)

CTO/employer here. Just letting you know that many of us don't bother looking at university qualifications (unless it's from MIT). We're looking at your portfolio (GitHub profile) and work experience instead. Many of us only care whether you can understand data structures and algorithms and whether you're able to pick up new frameworks & code bases easily. Your CV is thrown in to the trash if we don't see a portfolio because we can't wager on your skills as a developer without one.

When it comes to software engineering, you can learn most of what you need to know without going to university. There's great online courses available if you've got the work ethic to stick to them. The current meme path is to do CS50 (or another intro comp sci/algorithms course) and then pick up web dev.

During that time you can build up your own portfolio of personal projects that you've done and then build confidence by doing remote work, by then you'll have enough experience to land you an entry level job.

It just seems like a no-brainer that you can rather spend the time getting more experienced in the fields that the market has high demand for instead of taking $35k-200k high interest loans to learn outdated, unwanted skills, just so that you could get a paper saying that you've spent 4 years having your finger up your ass.

>have portfolio
>have work experience as a developer at a startup
>have work experience as a developer for a Fortune 500 company
The startup went under.
I left the Fortune 500 company because they were paying me significantly below market value and refused a raise because I didn't have a degree.
I had to quit to go back to school because literally fucking nobody would hire me because I didn't have a degree, and I didn't want to be stuck making shit pay forever.

There's all these blog posts from people claiming to be high-level executives or hiring managers saying "we don't care about college", but all of these companies won't even look at me because I don't have a degree.
I've gone through interviews where I'll be in the 3rd round, then they reject me saying they're looking for someone with more credentials.

The most insulting one was after the hiring manager asked if I would go back to school, I said "I'm open to it". He handed me his business card and said "you were really impressive... call me when you graduate."

>having time to work on stupid github "portfolio" shit

Attached: 1523165700462.jpg (595x585, 283K)

Do not make things for the purpose of having a portfolio because that's stupid. Make things because you see needs and you enjoy making things on your own time. This will show in your work.

If you are not motivated naturally to do this, then perhaps you should look at a different field.

I guess so, I graduated in the third world (Colombia) and several employers assumed I graduated from Columbia University

The only reason they care you went to MIT is because everyone wants to stab you for namedropping it in LITERALLY EVERY CONVERSATION.

kek

There's more than one UPenn?

>wasting money
>better

>University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC)
>University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)
>University of Chicago (UC)

Attached: rin_finger_gun.png (500x375, 227K)

>"CTO"
>wastes time on 4chinz

You're one of those self entitled pricks who work for 50ppl companies with "huge" IT departments filled with 2 devs and 3 sysadmins.

None of those are ivy league.

don't electricians make good money? or was that a meme

that's fucked user. sorry

maybe user never actually became an electrician

I take this as you're looking for a job, can you link a portfolio? Github, website,etc?

>No one cares about your degree 5-10 years into your career.
The why do people keep mentioning Obama getting first in his class at Harvard law and Trump going to Walton decades later?

It's the socially accepted way of telling everyone that you're smart instead of telling them your IQ.

>too poor to go to uni
>no student loans
>parents wealthy enough but won't pay
you don't know suffering

>live in southyuro hellhole
>literally only one 'prestigious' uni
>don't even qualify for it because fucked up the physics state grad exam

Glad that doesn't mean shit in my country.

can you imagine living in a society that values education

Cornell?

"better" is always to be seen in relation to something else. wasting less money is better than wasting more money.

>>and drive
>perpetually too tired to have any drive thanks to a fucked up thyroid (not self diagnosed, docs actually found out it's fucked)
>docs keep insisting that my blood values are still slightly below the upper end of the "normal" range though so everything is fine
th-thanks, socialized healthcare.

nah, i'm balls deep in school now.
Maybe in 6 months.