/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: fglt.jpg (940x627, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntu-mate.org/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_15_9560
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm currently running Ubuntu LTS. Most of my problems stem from their shitty version on GNOME. Will it get better if I upgrade to a non-LTS version? Or is my only choice to do things the hard way and abandon Ubuntu for something actually good?

rofl that penguin is me.

proof or it didn't happen

it is called LTS, you should have known what you were getting yourself into when installing that. go with disco dingo or add a more up to date repo if you can find it.

>the hard way
i wouldn't call it hard, you can switch to xubuntu, mint or lubuntu if you are comfy using buntu

Cute

not the other guy, but why can't you just install a different DE?

I opened the command line in class and my classmate reported me to campus security for hacking

Well I assumed he meant older when he talked about shitty versions.
He could also just do that.

I've been thinking for a while to roll on void linux. Heard runit is damn good and all. But I'm used for ubuntu and its large repos full of soft. I use specific programs like metasploit, macchanger, etc shity hacker shit. Plus I'm not shure if void has diriver for my laptop video card. So what do think, user, shall I change my os?

Attached: exindn7781.jpg (216x215, 53K)

Say them if he'd do it again, you'll hack him.

That's not entirely what I'm asking. I know that Ubuntu's GNOME is shitter than the real version, what I'm asking is if the LTS version is significantly more shit than the up to date version. For all I know, the up to date version could be exactly the same as the LTS one.

It's still more effort than updating from LTS to mainline.

come enter the void, i have no idea where the meme originated that void lacks packages but i can't confirm this. they may run under other names, go check it on their website, under packages.

Well apart from your assumptions, from what I've read/heard, canonical is pushing things to upstream gnome, apart from the themes/icons, don't think they significantly change what is on the image for the LTS.
You could go ask the irc and you may get a better answer there.

What are some cool terminal commands?

What's my best option if I need a few non-game .NET windows programs to run flawlessly? I'm looking for something that stable that requires minimal fussing around i.e not vanilla Arch, but more lightweight than *buntu style baby's first distro because I have a bit of experience. I used a live version of Debian stable for a few hours and it was mostly good except its repo lacks some wine related packages needed for .NET support. Is Manjaro a good option?

Attached: 1470245091496.jpg (217x225, 11K)

I like convert, ffmpeg, and sudo.

telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

Please just tell me if I am doing this right or not

I bought a used computer and I want to duel boot win10 and debian. I used ubuntu on my old PC so I have some experience installing linux, but I'm still a n00b. What I want to do now is move windows to an ssd I just bought, using the "windows media installion tool" to wipe everything on my HDD and just use it for storage and (re-)install windows on the SSD, I don't know if that will mess up the windows licensing but I'll write down my product key before I do anything

after I get that done, I just go to install linux like normal, but put the "/boot" and "/" (and maybe SWAP haven't decided) in the SSD and everything else in a partition in the HDD, right? I'll probably just split the HDD in half, 1TB for each operating system

Attached: 95e.png (800x764, 383K)

Thing I wanna say is void is new distro, so if I wont find reqire package in repo I'll have to build from sourse, witch is quite fuckd up on old laptop. So I just wonder is void linux distro I rather get along with.
cat /dev/random > /dev/null

>What's my best option if I need a few non-game .NET windows programs to run flawlessly?
wine
>Is Manjaro a good option?
wine

ss -traps

Attached: .jpg (394x737, 135K)

How do i force llvm to compile external source directory?
It is not compiling when i do
-DLLVM_EXTERNAL_DIR_SOURCE_DIR=dir

Or when i use
-DLLVM_EXTERNAL_CLANG_SOURCE_DIR:DIR=clang

>witch is quite fuckd up on old laptop.
how old are we talking?
and why is that fucked?

>witch is quite fuckd up on old laptop
I run gentoo on a dualcore T400. Some other guy runs gentoo on a 1.6GHz T60 with 2GB RAM. Step up nigga.

I've no money for better. But it's ok if I use ubuntu minimal with i3 just for browsing and staff.
Can't say I've grown up enough for a gentoo.

Attached: Снимок экрана_2019-03-22_01-32-00.png (354x256, 40K)

>if I wont find reqire package in repo I'll have to build from sourse
they take package requests

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-22_00-32-23.png (756x299, 26K)

commandlinefu.com

Here is a long one I recently made to do fsck on all superblocks on an EXT partition (there might be a better way to do this):

for superblock in $(dumpe2fs [PARTITION] | grep "superblock" | awk '{print $5}'); do e2fsck -vf -b $superblock [PARTITION]; done;

dd is an interesting one, too, but dangerous if you're careless with it

Here's a riddle.
Print -n using echo.

>Cнимoк экpaнa

So, i know this is the most pointless feature, but its one of the few things i actually... liked about windows 10, The picture of the day login screen.

Anyone know of any plugins for... i suppose it'd be Gnome or Ubuntu that has something like this?

set wallpapers and login pics via "gsettings set" and put it into cron daily. literally one line bash script.

i ran into a similar feature once
$ bash -c "printf '- %s\n' cocks gaysex anime"
bash: line 0: printf: - : invalid option
printf: usage: printf [-v var] format [arguments]
$ dash -c "printf '- %s\n' cocks gaysex anime"
dash: 1: printf: Illegal option -
$ ksh -c "printf '- %s\n' cocks gaysex anime"
- cocks
- gaysex
- anime
$ /usr/bin/printf '- %s\n' cocks gaysex anime
- cocks
- gaysex
- anime
apparently you're supposed to use "printf -- '- %s\n'" instead

echo() { printf '%s\n' "$@"; }
echo -n

echo -e '\x2dn'

Attached: 1551871628742.jpg (576x960, 93K)

Anyone have an XPS they use Linux on

trololol

Use Ubuntu MATE.
ubuntu-mate.org/

Yeah -- also makes grep work correctly when grepping for '-stuff'.

reminder that -- is a GNU thing, portable stuff shouldn't rely on it

Seems to be my lucky day because I use GNU.

Imagemagick is glorious

Won't that require more effort than just upgrading my current version?

Yes, a XPS 15. It works great. The Arch wiki page was helpful too with setting things up.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_15_9560

I was looking at these, but concerned about the GPU and switching.

I disabled the Nvidia gpu, so I'm not much help there.

Poor linux-kun living in poor country cannot buy nice laptop. Yes, this is deffinetly like it looks like

Lately I have been getting the urge to install Gentoo again
I haven't used it in almost a year and a half now, but all my memories with it were positive
Last time I tried to install it again though (about 3 months ago) I got some "firmware didn't load" error I didn't understand and never got before.

I remember being surprised that googling your linux username on google images shows all your desktops you ever posted in Jow Forums desktop threads. Well I did it tonight, but none of my favorite desktops seem to have survived, can't find them anymore.

I don't know, maybe I will try to install again this weekend

>tfw can't install gentoo

I've set an icc profile in mpv but it dosent seem to change anything. Running it from cli dosent present any errors either