Have you ever killed a CPU by overclocking it...

Have you ever killed a CPU by overclocking it? Or degraded it sufficiently enough that it wasn't even stable on stock clocks/voltages?

Attached: zDbw6en.png (789x859, 1.15M)

Yes. Many times. And I'll do it again.

Nope. Whenever I overclock anything it's with the intention of a stable 24/7 clock, so I've never pushed far enough for something like to be a danger.

Prescott was (apparently) notorious for failing suddenly after months of overclocking, 1.7 V was the voltage to never cross. Now, I have a Prescott HT 3.0 GHz, should I try OCing it? Using the stock "claw" Intel 478 cooler

I stay within my chip's max turbo operating spec of 1.425v, so it still holds clocks like new.

I found out that the celeron that came out around when the first pentium 4 was released, could actually explode if you over volted it, i ended up blowing up like 5 of them cause a guy at the store had a bunch of them (he couldn't sell them for some reason so I blew them up mining bitcoin for fun)

2500K @ 4.5GHz still alive and kicking for 8 years

No and I've been pushing maximum overclocking on my all of my CPUs throughout the years. My 9900k is running at 5.2ghz 1.3something v as we speak

no, but I've killed mobos.

> Have you ever killed a CPU by overclocking it?
No, because I never overvolt over the manufacturer's limit.
GPUs, on the other hand... I killed GTX 460 and HD5850, almost killed an 8800GTX. Don't trust GPU chips since then, they're too easy to kill and components are impossible to replace.

>5.2 1.3v
meanwhile my 2700 poozen gets 4.075 at 4c/4t 1.27v

No, but I had a couple of Intel cpus die on me all of the sudden.

1.3something v =/= 1.3v

>4c/4t on ryzen
>in current year where single core is mattering less and less
Why would you to this?

>Have you ever killed a CPU by overclocking it?
I thought I had the other day, but the motherboard was just freaking out and not reverting after failing to post. It's actually pretty hard to do unless you start pushing voltage like a moron.
>Or degraded it sufficiently enough that it wasn't even stable on stock clocks/voltages?
I haven't but the CPU I'm running had a previous life, and there someone did something, because my i7-3970X can't pust past 3.8Ghz stable, and if I set it to auto and enable turbo mode my system will just flash-reset every so often.

Mine degraded a bit after 6 years or so, had to drop the clock down to 4,4GHz since I was running near the limit of my air cooling

No CCX latency

and no SMT latency

No, I haven't killed or degraded any CPU so far, but I did kill an EVGA 680i mobo by pushing a Q6600 to 3.5-3.6GHz. It wasn't a G0 stepping either, so it required some pushing to get like 50% extra clock out of that thing. Mobo died, CPU was entirely fine.

I've once tried to change thermopaste on GPU and manage to bend the connection plate

A Q6600 and a G3258.
Pretty much any CPU i plan stop using in the next 3 months i go full retard with the voltage.

yeah i fucked up an amd fx 6100 enough to not have my last 2 cores