With all the computing power available nowadays, why can't programs open instantaneously...

with all the computing power available nowadays, why can't programs open instantaneously? the majority still seem to take at least two or three seconds to launch

Attached: 483793-how-to-speed-up-windows-10[1].jpg (810x456, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-970-Pro-NVMe-PCIe-M2-512GB-vs-Intel-900P-Optane-NVMe-PCIe-280GB/m498971vsm315555
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

because homos, pajeets and electron

Software gets bloated more quickly than hardware becomes faster. Basically the devs took all that speed that your computer has and pissed it away so they could write sloppy javascript instead of carefully-debugged C.

Bloat, libraries, limitation of clockspeeds, bandwidth issues, limitation of latencies, affordability and profitability still going nowhere due to lack of interest in R&D.

i blame 99% of our problems on lazy programmers. especially after browsing Jow Forums, you guys seem like the type to half ass everything

people worry less about optimization nowadays
also every software makes 50 calls to a server nowadays

Everything opens instantly on my gentoo box, seriously
It's all about optimizing software. You can compile every single package native to your hardware.
You can't do that on a one-size-fits-all OS like Windows.

compile some electron shit, make webm, post here

fuck that, last time I tried to compile some electron shit (atom I think it was?) it needed like 100 GB to store in /tmp, but my / partition only had 30 GB at the time so it couldn't even do it lol

Bloat.

Memory subsystem limitations.

More bloat.

Storage, even SSDs lack the latency and random 4KB read/write of actual system RAM. Intel's optane PCI-Express SSDs are the only thing that have gotten even remotely close to system RAM performance (ie 1GB+ 4KB random read/write).

ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-970-Pro-NVMe-PCIe-M2-512GB-vs-Intel-900P-Optane-NVMe-PCIe-280GB/m498971vsm315555

If you wanted to experience lightning fast computing then the closest you will get is running your entire OS directly from RAM and launching programs stored within. Because this is exceedingly impractical and insane, intel optane is your closest bet.

Attached: 1541307173940.jpg (1440x810, 470K)

It mostly comes down to dependencies now. So many libraries, APIs, and layers of abstraction, you end up with a sluggish piece of shit. While we're spoiled with some much cheap processing power and bus bandwidth now, many programmers can't be assed to write lean, efficient code, as it takes too much effort for their bloated applications. Not to mention that they have to rely on disparate teams of other people dealing with similar shit situations. It just turns into a clusterfuck.

And here I am happy to use GNU/POSIX CLI stuff that runs lightning fast, albiet with a high learning curve in understanding what you're doing.

>** cracks can **
>
>** SIP **

Attached: boomer.jpg (250x229, 10K)

You can have that with a lot of programs. Installing Gentoo is a bit overkill but Windows definitely sucks for this. Only stuff like web, graphical/audio/video editing and games will never be fast, if you don't want stuff with capabilities from ages ago.

Because of dependency hell. Windows basically includes the userland code of every previous version of itself so it can run legacy software, and linux systems aren't much better.

this

>spend 500 hours compiling something
>have to compile it again for every new version
>B-but it opens half a nanosecond faster!

telemetry

pic related: optane vs ramdisk

Attached: optane_vs_ramdisk.png (1366x768, 847K)

>500 hours
Nice projection, I’m not using a toaster like you though.
Gentoo’s great, after the original hurdle of compiling everything, it’s smooth sailing forever

Intel: 8c16t at 5 GHz should be enough for your video processing, gaming and advanced data processing needs.
AMD: I'll see that and raise you 16c32t.
Electron: That might just be enough for a basic text chat app.

Fucking wintoddler cope. I honestly believe that wintoddlers are subhumans with single digit IQs. I’m not being mean or ironic, I literally believe that wintoddlers don’t have brains.

Programs would take ~ same time to open on sata ssd

I bet a large amount of it is lack of cache alignment considerations. Almost everyone calls this a "micro optimization" worthy of being disregarded. But data alignment applies to basically everything. Better disk cache usage means faster I/O from every device, from the disk, to the memory, to the processing of the data on the CPU. When 1 bit pushes you out of alignment, the operation inherently takes twice as long. When you are doing trillions of cycles a nanosecond it adds up pretty fucking fast for everything in your entire stack. Every argument against it that I've seen is a non argument that's secondary to the source of the problem.
>it's $CURRENTYEAR
And?
>just buy faster hardware
That doesn't fix the problem, it MIGHT mitigate it, but apparently in the cases it does, it doesn't do it well enough for people to not complain about it.
>programmer time is too expensive to warrant it
This is admission of the problem with an excuse.
>if the difference between instant and 2 seconds matters to you then you have a patience problem
Same as above, admission the problem exists but the responsibility is pushed on me to be more patient every time the program is executed rather than put on the programmer for not doing it right once, and having it work perfectly every execution thereafter.

Maybe people would have more time to program correctly if their entire software stack didn't waste hours of their daily life.

people writing through IDEs where they are not even aware of the code/how much code (boilerplate), there is behind something.

mostly this
time constraints and general laziness result in quick superficial fixes that usually do the job.
Shame, really, since you are allowed to just create bloated software since muh ssd's and i7's can mask the shittiness of your code.

I don't know why you think you're that different personally, get rid of the retarded terminal=bad mental block and any moron could compile shit on GNU/Linux with ease since developers coddle the shit out of it at the cost of portability to other platforms.

I honestly legitimately believe that *buntu, Arch and Gentoo users are legitimately just as retarded as Windows users for the most part.

Since no one else mentioned it. On windows, defender is anti-malware so probably scans or checks that its already been scanned before opening. Then permission level overhead plus everything other anons mentioned, especially (((telemetry))).

>compile every single package native to your hardware.You can't do that on a one-size-fits-all OS like Windows.
Except that's literally what .net runtime environment does, then it caches the machine specific executables so next time its faster. Startup is slow still.
Plus you could just compile the program yourself like you did.

>i3
>arch
it was fun opening programs instantly with vim hotkeys but not very practical. Wine or even a big slow virtual machine is faster overall because its compatible with the bloated software I need to get things done.
>command line image editing image magick
>blendlet video editing
>ffmpeg video conversion
>ranger
its just easier to do it the bloat way with photoshop, kdenlive, obs, nemo. I cant be bothered to memorize so many hotkeys.

It's a software issue. RISC-OS was written in a mix of ARM assembly and C, and even on a shitty Pi it boots in about 3 seconds and programs load instantly. Look at the Amiga software written for classic systems running on Aros, again, instant opening and lightning-fast usage.

If software wasn't bloated to fuck even an old 5400 HDD would be instant. It's not a hardware issue, and all the increases in hardware speed and performance just results in more bloated and terrible code leading to a requirement for even faster hardware.

The slowest programs still take only a few seconds. I can remember back in the 90s when shit took minutes at times.

Gotta launch all the telemetry, backdoors, and make sure your computer phones home

Fucking Electron BLOATED FUCK piece of CRAP reskinned FLOURIDE INFESTED CHROMIUM bull SHIT

They can. Or rather, they could, if the programmer cared and their manager allocated the time.

Unfortunately it's much quicker and easier to develop slow and inefficient software, and since most people will still accept it, it's usually the right business decision.

>software a depends on software x
>software b depends on software x.2, which isn't backwards compatible
checkmate ganoonix users

Devs get lazy with too much abstraction
In ye olden days game systems for example were so stupidly optimized that even when you tried to hack the game by doing something stupid (like teleporting inside walls) the game would REFUSE to crash, and instead produce funny results (glitches). They were very efficient on resources and pushed the limits of what's possible to be done on their hardware, which was FAR smaller in capabilities than what we have today.
Today's games are 60+ GB buggy mess.
Our current hardware is extremely powerful, but its software is just as, if not more, extremely bloated.
And old software would fly on modern hardware if it were to be made compatible, and the improvements put on the newer systems were implemented on it, but unfortunately most old software is deprecated and unused. And modern devs are nowhere near as autistic about optimization. No retro game replica pet project by a modern programmer would ever fit a memory in kilobytes like they used to.

>Programs would take ~ same time to open on sata ssd
That's not true. I upgraded from a Samsung 960 nvme drive to an Optane 900p and applications do open noticeably faster. The biggest difference for my use case though is when opening lots of things at the same time, the Optane blows the nvme trash out of the water.

and does it have all the functions raspbian have?

Because glow in the dark mathlets don't optimise their shit so we need 16GB RAM to open two Electron apps.

It's software's fault.
I work as a computer engineer and I'm asked to optimize code. Using simple shit like vectorization, parallelization, using the Intel Compiler, etc I can get speedups of hundreds.
That's for applications written in C/C++. Imagine how shitty the average codemonkey's applications made in js, python, whatever are.

It's not the softwares fault tho. Even JS can be optimised to a reasonable degree with relatively low effort. The fucking mathlets studying CS that now code monkey that shit just have no idea what the fuck they are doing.

bloat bloat bloat and bloat

People don't know how to program.

unironically this.

>he fell for the optane meme

I'd say if you do not buy it to solve the specific problem it was designed for, it is definitely a meme. However, if you're me and have an IO load mostly of many thousands of tiny file accesses every second that will literally lock up a lesser storage medium for seconds at a time, well, in that case this is the fucking antidote.