/hpg/ /esg/ - Head Mounted Electroacoustic Transducer General

How to request purchase advice:
pastebin.com/Fkxm4BBA

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous based thread:

Attached: STAX-SRS-007-MK2-System_480x480.jpg (480x480, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/61srehjyaltd7w0/Stax SR-009S.pdf?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0
i.imgur.com/W7hz3rh.png
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441
mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA
youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc
i.imgur.com/Dru4gzZ.png
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-lh-labs-go2pro-infinity-dac-amp.7002/
youtube.com/watch?v=ZIG6TKgctnQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: 1553210533117.jpg (1421x931, 997K)

There's no such thing as a bad earspeaker/headphone UwU

Attached: 1550599823867.png (862x852, 339K)

Except Stax

Repent

Attached: enlightenstax.png (1200x756, 597K)

>UwU
Please
Go
DIE

Redpill on STAX for newbies: STAX is an old Jap company with outdated tech that was considered high end back in the 1960s and 1970s but sounds like ass by today's standards, so they went nearly bankrupt. They were purchased by a Chinese company for just a million dollars who decided to market STAX to the audiophool "more expensive is better" demographic who buys those crappy $3000 vinyl players, they shill heavily on HeadFi and here on /hpg/, plus they pay Zeos to shill their crap just like Fostex does.

>In December 2011, Chinese loudspeaker manufacturer Edifier announced the acquisition of 100% equity in Stax

Oratory has measured the highest end STAX, the SR-009S.

dropbox.com/s/61srehjyaltd7w0/Stax SR-009S.pdf?dl=0

dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0

It's worse than the HD600. HD600 scored 92 and SR-009S scored 76.

Recently Rtings rated STAX across various dimension, it's worse in terms of sound than mid-priced offerings from Hifiman and Audeze, and only got a 7.7 rating.

i.imgur.com/W7hz3rh.png

In a separate study:

>The very highest end STAX ($4000 SR-009) was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441

Download the PDF of the study at: mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA

To add insult to overpriced injury, they have shitty plastic build quality that you would expect on cheap chinkshit headphones:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc

Oratory (respected sound engineer) on the build:

i.imgur.com/Dru4gzZ.png

Even best Stax headphones sound objectively worse than mid-fi. This is why they don't demo them in store, they rely on the internet to create a sense of mystique around STAX and shill it as the endgame because its expensive, Asian, rare and obscure. In reality its no bass sounding garbage, with shrill highs that appeal only to near-deaf boomer. And what they say is true, they have no soundstage.

Attached: 1546498796183.png (1027x1369, 784K)

Stax incels on suicide watch, lmao

FUCK NIGGERS
FUCK NOSTAXERS

Attached: 1553021222786.jpg (720x713, 81K)

>Bought the shitty $5 no brand headphones
>Noticeable and pretty loud electric buzzing sound every time I put them on
Fuck

Based beyerchads

Meme apart the DT770s are bretty awesome and comfy. Naisu

>have 4k 144hz hdr goyming monitor
>have stax
>have custom steelcase gesture
What else am I missing?

hot swappable split ortholinear keyboard

I have 3 filcos

a personality

buy more stax

airpods

Like?

if you have lambdas get a 007, if you have a 007 get lambdas

r8 my portable rig

Attached: IMG_20190314_180439.jpg (4656x3496, 2.01M)

Eh I'll think about 007. Last time it wasn't impressive

Same. Not sure what revision of 007 it was, but I've listened to them at e-earphone last year, so probably something new. Wasn't impressed by 007.
What are some vintage Stax worth looking into if I have L700? Pro bias prefered.

pad swap with dekoni/zmf pads and EQ them using a minidsp

All Stax sound like shit

that battery wont last long

>aftermarket pads
Ok retard

what's your issue with third party pads?

Bud, I know Jow Forums is a mental illness simulator but ever thought about educating yourself before recommending something?

I'm genuinely asking what your issue is with third party pads but you don't seem to want to answer

earpads are 40% of a headphone's sound signature

see >pad swap with dekoni/zmf pads
>EQ them using a minidsp

Attached: 5p0ltqy.png (1024x575, 92K)

are closed headphones better than open headphones if you're at home?

fuck off back to your COBOL threads you spaz

Recommendations for a gaming headset? Is stax good?

yes

>itt triggered stax incels who happen to be on suicide watch
lmao

SEETHING nostax yottacels are desperate lmao

Attached: 1502659308896.gif (500x545, 263K)

>Recommendations for a gaming headset? Is stax good?
Trash. Uses some weird ass connector and magic box instead of USB. No RGB lights. No 9999999.1 surround sound.

>he can't afford stax

Attached: 1552840217835.jpg (400x400, 29K)

I plan to start a family so I'm not throwing thousands away for headphones.

you're in the wrong thread

How so? I do have HD600, the best headphones in existence.

let's see pictures

LOL you will never touch a woman incel

Attached: 1547336060465.jpg (720x720, 291K)

No sorry, can't risk getting doxxed by the stax mafia

holy fuck nostaxers are terrified of our 150+ IQ and massive 9'+ penises, staxchads win again

Attached: 1534706135245.png (701x668, 78K)

Better than STAX.

Attached: ksc75x.png (1080x1080, 759K)

No this is the best headphone in existence.

Attached: DT 990 600ohm.jpg (416x550, 41K)

Doing God's work.

Attached: staxloli2.png (1095x1014, 562K)

I'm about one standard deviation lower than those numbers. But I'm a relatively new stax owner so maybe that grows in

Do not believe STAX shills. For all you SEA fags, you can try them at Jaben. They sound like shit, tinny, anemic, lifeless, lacking bass, just horrible all around. You can't enjoy music on them, they force themselves to enjoy them but that's only because of the sunken costs fallacy and post purchase rationalization.

There are lots of high end headphones that simply sound better, here are some examples that I auditioned: Beyerdynamic T1, Sennheiser HD800S, Audeze LCD2, Focal Clear. You can actually enjoy music on those regardless of their sound signature because they aren't majorly lacking in the bass like the STAX are. Being a poorfag I'm saving up for the HD800S myself. The soundstage blew me away within seconds when listening to them.

eh, have both hd800S and stax
stax are unequivocally superior

>open headphones in public
>full-sized headphones in public
>snapheiser
>huge, clunky dongle that probably hasn't even been measured
>chrome
>windows 10
0/10

cuck

first for summit-fi

Attached: 732967A4-E392-4E89-BB68-7A9B39691EA1.jpg (2105x2464, 1.43M)

It has, it measures like shit just like the hd600 and most of snapheiser's audiophool memephones
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-lh-labs-go2pro-infinity-dac-amp.7002/

actually true. Those little things are fucking amazing

Koss KCS75

i don't understand how they sound better than jbl m2 or literally any loudspeaker in existence but they do

How do I do a good review on headphones? What do I include in them besides sound descriptions.

Talk about the tech, the warranty, the graphs, the price and what compares to them in the same range.

Build and comfort.

Do you think there can be anything better I could do besides say "these are bassy and v-shaped and as noted on FR they extend this well and on a sine wave test they mostly go down to 20Hz." "There is a peak on 6k that really needs to EQ'd down and something something"... What else could I do to improve my sound descriptions?

Talk about distortion and soundstage I guess.

I own a classic portapro and a 007 Mk I Early. Fite me.

comfort, pads (material, replaceable(yes/no), seal), cable (length, flexibility, removable(yes/no)), design, stability, build quality, isolation, efficiency, impedance, extras

comment on channel balance, leakage effects, frequency response consistency

have you looked at the reviews at rtings.com?

will note and above that.
Yeah I making sure to go over bass response, mids, treble, imaging, soundstage, maybe some gaming capabilities, isolation if it's closed back, and how much they leak if open.
Just more so that I wonder if there's anything better I could do to make my descriptions accurate.

How would you describe distortion though?

>How would you describe distortion though?

Mostly has to do with clarity and separation. You can have a really wide soundstage but if the instruments are smeared accross it, you don't get that quality separation. But then you're running into the basic above midfi problem which is "getting something mastered well enough to matter" and that is vanishingly rare.

Hey guys am I attractive enough for the ladies now?

Attached: 30718.jpg (448x336, 17K)

>have you looked at the reviews at rtings.com?
Yeah.
But the other stuff is pretty good to note down as well.

frequency response consistency meaning though?
I feel like most headphones I heard can do separation alright. Are there any you heard that does it terribly?

And I heard clarity sort of mixed with treble? From what I hear also can mean similar to transparent as the instruments and vocals are heard as lifelike and not colored? Or how would you describe it?

Redpill me on electro static
If stax are shit are there any electrostatic headphones that are good?
Looking to upgrade from Phillips SPH9500

>If stax are shit
stop taking advice from retards

What you want are one of the "darker" Stax like a Lamba Nova or a 007.

What amp are you using with the SHP9500?

>can do separation alright
Alright vs well is the thing. Well is being able to close your eyes and tell where a specific chair is playing in an orchestra. It can be done, but it's held down by the mastering more often than not. This is why hunting down tracks that are mastered stupid well is essential for hifi review crap. Because otherwise, your equipment can only reproduce what you give it. Something like an original Blind Guardian album will sound basically the same on top gear as it does on a pair of dollar store earbuds.

>how would you describe it?
Like all the advantages of treble boost without actual treble boost. Everything is clear, like a fog is lifted, or background noise you didn't even know was there is suddenly gone.

Kys
Or
Neck yourself with a stax

Wheres that cute brownie on the discord?

Are IEM discussions welcomed here or nah

What headphones would he use?

Attached: shitposting irl.jpg (1034x730, 87K)

>frequency response consistency meaning though?
it's how the FR changes when you reposition the headphones. it's mainly the treble that's affected. rtings include leakage effects (seen in the bass range) in their frequency consistency measurements.

Literally who?

Literally buy stax

youtube.com/watch?v=ZIG6TKgctnQ

These sound better than any headphone I've heard and only cost $240.

Attached: elac b6.2.jpg (1500x1058, 173K)

What headphones have you tried? what are you powering those speakers with?

clearly hasn’t listened to Stax which sound better than ALL headphones

SHP9500, HD6XX, K702, DT 990

Right now I'm using a 1989 Yamaha RX-500u. But I've tried them with my cheap Denon AVR S530BT and they sounded great from that too. They need good stands though, they are big. I'm using Monoprice monolith 24".

nigga what

Creative titanium HD I found in a dumpster

>oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer
confirmed retard

>>oscilloscope
Not him but I found that very useful in foobar when I wasn't sure if it was the file or my equipment having one channel or the other louder, or if bass was cut off in the master or whatever.

Well I can tell you how to make your SHP9500 sound better, get at least a FiiO E10k. That Titanium HD likely has a very high output impedance making the SHP9500 bass sound very bloated. They are only 32 ohm headphones, so you'd want an output impedance of about 3.2 or less. FiiO E10K has 0.5 output impedance, you'll actually listen to the accurate headphone frequency response with that. You might not think so, but it actually makes a huge difference in the sound.

if you weren't listening to dogshit music that would not be a concern

Thanks user, is it worth investing in a better setup down the line or should I just stick with the shp and fio?

what are some headphones that sound like the M40x but don't fucking hurt to wear?

Cheaper to just buy new pads

Fidelio X2

I mean, SHP9500 are just really hard to beat. I will never sell mine but I had no problem selling HD6XX and K702 Maybe a $400-500 pair could, but idk. The FiiO is a great deal and it measures pretty good too. If you ever want to upgrade to a new amp in the future you could use the FiiO as a DAC by using the line out on the back into a different amp.

I tried that and it still hurts after long periods

Should have bought DT 770 like I told you to.