Favourite Linux Distro

>Arch (or any version for the fags that can't install the vanilla version)
>Debian (any version)
>Any *buntu
>Mint (if you're insane)
>Fedora
>Gentoo (unironically)
Is it just me, or are these the only Linux distributions that are ever seen on Jow Forums? I sometimes wonder if I'm missing a good one that doesn't have shills behind it, but on the other hand I wonder if there's anything that you'd want from Linux that you can't find in that list (outside of cases where you want a tiny distribution that'll install on a toaster).

Attached: Gentoo_Logo_Vector.svg.png (493x519, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/jbruchon/jdupes
github.com/jbruchon/$name/archive/v$version/$name-v$version.tar.gz)
github.com/mgorny/smart-live-rebuild
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Try out Calculate Linux , it's gentoo but easy to install. And with packages that are built in.

>implying gentoo isn't easy to install

Ive seen slackware and Guix on here too.

Gentoo is not hard to install, it just takes a while to compile.

Any reccs on a distro that JustWorks™? Been using arch lately but i need something more reliable for work. Ubuntu is kinda shit, although i haven't tried any of the other spin-offs.

Debian.

Using Arch on Desktop. Have Gentoo on my laptop and like it more overall. Too lazy to install gentoo on my desktop as it will take a lot of time considering X/chromium compile time. Have used Windows before.

> >Mint (if you're insane)
what did OP mean with this?

I really love Alpine, I use it for my htpc and vps

elementary os. no bullshit

Attached: 20190322_200022.jpg (3264x2448, 1.96M)

The AUR is too attractive to not use arch

Attached: fb536feb-002d-4f92-ad4b-767a86360a35.png (602x500, 45K)

FrankenDebian, careless devs, questionable security. As best as I can tell, it's a worse version of Ubuntu for people who don't like Ubuntu's DE but can't be bothered to try a different flavour of Ubuntu or to just switch to Debian.

I know that feel. I'm an Ubuntu LTS user, but I can't remember the last time that I used the fucking software centre.

Those are the main ones. I would add SUSE and Slackware and note that most other distros are forks of one of the mentioned ones. There are some others but they're fairly niche.

Second that. Debian is just about the most stable thing out there. Plus, huge repo.

My favourite is Debian but I haven't installed Gentoo so I don't know if I would like it even more. I use Debian Sid so I update very often and it sounds like a burden to wait 100 times longer for every time I update my system.

> Begs user to pay for libre software

not really

How is Sid? Testing is shit, but my fear of Sid drives me in to the dated land of Stable.

You're missing out on GUIXSD and NixOS, both of which solve the rather critical issue of system reproductionability.
They both configure their systems with a single central configuration file written in a functional programming language, making it so that the same configuration always results in the exact same system.

Solus OS is pretty solid
What makes it in any way good?

Well I use it at home on my Thinkpad so your mileage may vary, but it just werks for me. I used the nonfree ISO so wifi worked and everything straight out of the install. Thinkpads are known for being well supported in Linux.

Looking for a recommendation on a distro. Have an older (5 year) MSI gaming laptop. Tried Mint but it was thrashing my drive something fierce - Fuck that.

Put PopOS on there because I heard good things, but it is too damn user friendly.

I want to be able to play with the settings...

Thinking Debian?

>Thinking Debian?
Don't.

>too damn user friendly
Jow Forums as fuck.

Bros I'm switching to Gentoo from Arch (no memes, I've tried it and I like it).
>Will Steam work with the hardened multilib stage 3, or should I go non-hardened multilib?
>GNU Icecat is my favourite browser, is it available on Gentoo?

Attached: comfykernelconfig.gif (268x224, 27K)

Way to be helpful user

Void Linux and Parabola are popular ones that come to mind.

I just use Arch.

Just go with Arch, enormous amount of documentation on the Arch Wiki. Rewarding if you read and take some time to set up a rice. Or you can just use Antergos or Manjaro for easy install.

"Install Gentoo" is a meme for a reason, there's nothing ironic about it.
Haven't used another distro since.

Attached: 1543133243527.png (1280x720, 872K)

What about OpenSUSE? Is it any good?

Works for me, 8 month without re installation is extremely good.

you can't pretend that gentoo isn't hard to install for most people. most people on this "technology" board are barely smart enough to root their phones

>actual photo of the screen
>elementaryOS user
I see

Parabola GNU+Linux-Libre

Is KDE Plasma any good? I use mint because it's ez to install and runs acceptably on an old thinkpad (also i dont use this computer for anything that would require a good distro) but i want to fuck around a bit with other distros.

QubesOS
everything else is plebeian

yeah alpine is pretty good for single use home server/networking style stuff.
I have an old Dell Proliant G7 rack mount server at home running XenServer, and I would provision Alpine VM's for nearly every thing I used it for.. web server, reverse web proxy, tls termintor, firewall, router..

never liked it much for actual desktop useage tho

this

Kubuntu

kde neon***** sorry

more like KDE Peon

My favorite Linux distro? Well, it's got to be FreeBSD

For a time Source Mage was seen on Jow Forums and now a few CRUX users are around (me included). Is not for everybody but is basically the most unixy of distros and the ports are a godsend. Is like the AUR but far more easy.

Also Slackware users never die and GuixSD is getting popular. Guix might be a strange distro but if you handle Emacs you'll understand how GuixSD works and you'll love it.

Go for Devian or better yet Devuan. Packages are stable as you get.

Consider trying CRUX. Is a pure AUR-like distro.

void is pretty good with Mate, but the init is a bit of a pita if you don't get some built-in manager in a DE

what's so good about the AUR anyway?

void is valid in my opinion, it's fast, has a lovely init and is way more minimal than arch and at the same time easier/faster to install.

you just follow the like 10 instructions and wait for everything to compile

then configure the kernel (the only hard part)

or don't and just autoconfigure it

there's a lot of shit on it so you don't have to bother with extra steps of compiling from github

void would honestly deprecate arch linux if they could get more maintainers. xbps is literally awesome. (an actual void wiki would help too lol)

Same can be said of any source based package manager. Gentoo's emerge, FreeBSD ports, etc.

Gentoo is easy as fuck to install. If you do it from a live Linux distro and chroot, you can literally do it by copy and paste. Gentoo hasn't been hard to install in like 15 years, back when there were 3 stages you could install and stage1 installs were like a badge of honor because it was practically like installing LFS but with a working gentoo system at the end of it

arch has more shit
not necessarily good shit, but it does at least let you choose what mediocre shit you prefer

I use mxlinux, faggots

ubuntu 14.04 king of scene. fuck all nerdz.

I used MX Linux for a month, it was quite a good distro. However I have severe autism so I switched to Qubes OS instead.

are you the LTS-Gnome guy from >>>/fglt/

# Description: A powerful duplicate file finder and an enhanced fork of fdupes
# URL: github.com/jbruchon/jdupes
# Maintainer: Seif Lekbir

name=jdupes
version=1.10.4
release=1
source=(github.com/jbruchon/$name/archive/v$version/$name-v$version.tar.gz)

build() {
cd $name-$version
make PREFIX=/usr ENABLE_BTRFS=1
make DESTDIR=$PKG install
}

That is a CRUX port, does it look hard to make for you?

Slackware every day.

i like slackware

what's the benefit of slackware?
there aren't much slackware shills around

Whats your opinion on Qube. Thinking of migrating to another os

Since I am also looking for security, what are your thoughts on PARROT LINUX???

CloverOS

after more than 10 years of gentoo and funtoo I'm getting sick of compiling. what should I gor for?
SUSE tumbleweed because rolling release and best KDE integration? can it be reduced to a sensible level of bloat?
debian? how ok is testing for regular desktop use?

Can some clarify for me about gentoo; can portage automate packages to build from git repos when there's an update?

Install once, run for years. It's like if Debian was actually good.

Do you update packages? I never understood how they do it.

ok that sounds kinda neat, will give it a closer look the next time i distrohopp

At work for that effectiveness I recommend Xubuntu

Almost.

It's not like portage is running and will receive push notifications from all sorts of hosted git repositories right when they update.
But you can make it automatically update git ebuilds in the process of doing a world update (it will update if the git version changed).

>gentoo
>having shills behind it
user, gentoo is dropping projects left and right because they're all volunteers.
If someone is telling you to use gentoo, it's because they really like it. No one profits off of you using gentoo.

Do you not know how to find and install binary packages on gentoo after 10 years of using it?

PS: If you have a huge number of things you want to update from git, the builtin functionality of portage isn't ideal - since paludis is no longer an option, maybe use github.com/mgorny/smart-live-rebuild

Add the CloverOS repository, install nix/guix on your Gentoo, and maybe upgrade from your machine with a more modern CPU and SSD if it's equally old.

Seriously, I don't have trouble letting updates install in the background on a bloated install on a low-end Ryzen (2400G) while I'm doing anything else that I want to do. Most compiles are not a problem for a modern x86_64 machine.

In practical terms, Gentoo is the best distribution overall and will likely be for a long time.
GuixSD however is steadily improving, but still suffers from the minor annoyance of making it unnecessarily hard to install nonfree software and firmware if you want. I can definitely see a great potential in the distro, though.

>Gentoo is the best distribution overall and will likely be for a long time
Unless all the volunteers stop maintaining it. Nobody seems to be using it, and popularity has gone down more and more every year since Arch.

If you're not terribly tight on disk space, I'd pretty much suggest to just use guix or nix on Gentoo for now.

The Guix/Nix components won't interfere with Gentoo and you can supply a lot of software from these while still basicallly doing anything you could have done with Gentoo. Which has more packages and IMO still better definitions for ebuilds.

GuixSD is doomed by virtue of being a hardcore freetard distro
NixOS is the future

>Nobody seems to be using it
Quite a few people are using it, but it's also in the nature of Gentoo to not apply to everyone's use case.

Some people just want Android or the most comparable Desktop Linux thing. All defaults, few settings and choices.

> popularity has gone down more and more every year since Arch
You're surely not using Distrowatch or some other trash to determine this, right?

This

>"freetard"
>using shillspeak
Opinion discarded

>I switched to Qubes OS instead.
My man!

Attached: ip1.png (1271x719, 1.33M)

absolutely patrician tier

>FrankenDebian
who cares
>careless devs
they made it work, it's good enough
>security
kek

>You're surely not using Distrowatch or some other trash to determine this, right?
No, I'm using the current state of Gentoo. They have dropped projects left and right over the past few years. Not enough interest, unfortunately.

If you mean something like the two man or whatever it was effort for Gentoo BSD - yea, that died with the first and then the second guy loosing interest, or however that went. Yea, it wasn't like the rest of the volunteers was really interested in this.

What "everyone" in Gentoo cares about and continues to care about is portage and it's EAPI / feature upgrades. Maybe also the wiki and other infra updates (some of which certainly happened).

Solus is comfy. I'm using it right now

You'll have a lot of issues with hardened mainly because those patches on kernel side became non public, and the rest is pointless because of it

Void. The best I have ever seen.

Attached: e9eab4bc1d1a9e17bb6b719770d9006a--grumpy-cat-meme-hilarious-memes-grumpy-cat(1).jpg (613x540, 47K)

Debian Unstable.
The patrician choice.

Attached: 1551845248301.png (201x250, 5K)

All a meme. It's literally just Ubuntu Cinnamon

If you do testing, upgrade to unstable.

Attached: images.jpg (126x97, 3K)

Agreed. By that logic ubuntu is a Frankendebian. The devs seem to have a goal unlike ubuntu, and the security is as secure as any distro.

Do.

Great since 1993.

cringe

based and voidpilled

Antergos yes.
Manjaro no.

Attached: IMG_20171022_165809(1).jpg (512x512, 48K)

even though I hate arch every distro you listed (and slackware) are the only ones that should exist. they have everything for everyone and it will really simplify things. distros like zorin, manjaro and deepin shouldn't exist at all

Gentoo will wear out my ssd.
Fuck that!

just put portage on tmpfs lel

Attached: 1546318474572.png (600x600, 419K)

Neon you nigger