Librem5 - April is drawing near

why haven't you got the devkit yet, user

Attached: Librem-5-Dev-Kit-Blueprint.jpg (1280x904, 180K)

Other urls found in this thread:

puri.sm/
puri.sm/learn/freedom-roadmap/
puri.sm/posts/womens-day-2019/
puri.sm/products/librem-13/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I want something that performs better than a cheap 5 year old phone and I want apps.

720x1440
Even worse than iPhones? I didn't know that was possible

Bezels like it's 1999.

Purism hasn't ever shipped a secure device. This looks like a pain to use as well, even UBPorts would be preferable.

Purism is bullshit marketing.
They'll be sold to ignorant people just like their laptops. Most people in the Free Software community see through their marketing and call bullshit on all their claims.

d-definitely shipping in Q3, fellas

Attached: 1537411778708.png (336x455, 79K)

without android emulation it's be another ubuntu touch, they're marketing as a device for app yet it wont have apps most people use like snapchat

Based retard.

how bad is the performance? And aren't they porting APKs?

my laptop's 1366x786 11". Screen res on phones is one huge marketing meme that only brings costs up and battery life down.

fag. literal fag. Your kind is the very reason sheep farming and smartphone industries are not so different.

Snapchat? You're not even this phone's target audience if not using Snapchat is a dealbreaker to you.

In what way are they spreading misinformation on the phone, user?

>Snapchat? You're not even this phone's target audience if not using Snapchat is a dealbreaker to you.
>teenagers will love the librem due to its snappy performance
I'm not a teenager but they clearly have teens in mind and for 90% of teens no snapchat is a deal breaker

wow that's retarded of them if that's part of their marketing and not some asspull.
Even if the logic behind it is half-broken like "snappy performance = better mobile gaming experience"
yeah.

Anyways stop using shitty datamining apps user

>Anyways stop using shitty datamining apps user
I'm a normie, snapchats how I talk to most of my friends and gf, she'd probably kick off if I lost our streak for anything sensitive I use my laptop running qubesOS

They never claimed their laptops were 100% Libre or FSF endorsed. That is eventually their aim however. What other company is actually going to the lengths to reverse engineer components such as the Intel FSP? Intel kikes literally told them to remove the blog post and shut it down they got that assmad. As far as I am aware, no other vendor is going to the trouble of doing any of this work.

That being said, the Librem laptops in their current state doesn't meet enough of my standards to warrant purchasing, but when they eventually get there (and I hope they do) I would be inclined to buy one providing it's good. Eventually old thinkpads are going to become un-usable for most computing tasks, when that day eventually comes, it's good to see a company out there that cares about trying to de-botnet modern hardware as much as possible and can provide me with a rough, more powerful 'replacement'.

Exactly

It's worth supporting them user, even if their current state is not ideal, their goal is definitely one that deserves our support.
At their current state, their products are already far more "free" than the majority of what the current market offers. An all-or-nothing mentality will definitely be harmful at this stage.
That being said, it's understandable if you're already having a working free standard for your hardware that those laptops simply haven't met. But gifting it to your loved ones instead of a macbook, for example, is still a viable way to support them.
Me on the other hand, I'm still a hostage to many nonfree things, so for me, their hardware would be an upgrade.
It will be a cold dark world if initiatives like this were to be left to wither and die out in favour of corporate bs.

This is, or was, the Purism Freedom Roadmap. This was their progress towards creating libre hardware (while not having it be just reselling decade-old thinkpads for the ten millionth time). They had corebooted their system, me_cleaned it, and even got their distro FSF-approved.
But look at their site now. puri.sm/
You look around, and there's no sign of this roadmap anywhere. You can technically still find it using a search engine puri.sm/learn/freedom-roadmap/
But it hasn't been updated since mid last year. If you remove the freedom-roadmap part you'll get an error. They took down the learn page, which was where they talked about Free Software, privacy, and it also means that there is no way to navigate to the roadmap page anymore.

Looking at puri.sm/posts/womens-day-2019/ , it would appear that they have gone very SJW. Just look at this shit.
>... carry a heavy societal weight when it comes to women. In spite of that, the gender gap in Tech is abyssal – and women are almost nowhere to be seen.
>To say women are under-represented in the IT sector is an understatement; the situation in Free Software development is not much better, although some steps have been taken to improve the gender gap. There is, for example, the Debian Woman project, with its own mentoring program; or Outreachy, inviting cis and trans women, trans men and genderqueer people to apply
Why is Purism entertaining this bullshit? Shouldn't they be writing code? Reverse-engineering those last few binary blobs?

Well, ok, they are writing code. Really laggy Javascript code to add a bloated fucking 3D spinning laptop to their webpages as you scroll down.
puri.sm/products/librem-13/

What happened to this company? In the past they had a vision, a drive, a roadmap, a goal. Now, it appears they have sold out their integrity and ideals for cash and some feminist/trans brownie points.

RISC-V can't come soon enough.

Attached: roadmap.png (679x489, 198K)

that's really sad

how so? I don't mind using snapchat

Seeing resources devoted to that stuff pisses me off. I understand how tech companies in the current year have to pay lip service to all that BS otherwise get lynched by the SJW mob, but hiding that roadmap seems suss.

I hope they still have actually important people working behind closed doors hacking away at Intel firmware trying to improve things in that regard, but, I don't know. I just want a new laptop down the line when my current thinkpad won't cut it, without resorting to buying something that is unserviceable, soldered down, and full of botnet shit. I'm hoping it turns out alright.

>When your relationship depends on a number inside a anti-consumer program

it doesn't depend on it, she likes me using it and I don't care about using it

>those shit specs
>that shitty buggy, slow os
>that fucking iphone price tag
>prob gonna be banned from carriers

hahahahaha no

>another bloated, buggy linux product failing

wow im SO surprised

into the trash it goes

But does it have removable batteries?

good question, anyone knows how sustainable and serviceable the hardware's gonna be anyway?
I expect the phone to live with me for five years at least if I buy one.

almost forgot USfags are eternally BTFO'd by their operator lockdowns.
imagine having to choose a phone based on it being available with your operator lmao

Attached: 1522521343144.png (640x639, 384K)

>how bad is the performance?
Worse than a low end Snapdragon from ~2015, this is a IoT/general purpose SoC after all.
>And aren't they porting APKs?
It's on their roadmap but it's not a priority.

He gave snapchat as an example dumbass. For this to be successful and useful to the average person, it should be able to run 90% of apps.
Why are you so emotionally invested in this unreleased phone you've never touched?

>my laptop's 1366x786 11". Screen res on phones is one huge marketing meme that only brings costs up and battery life down.
Have you thought for a second that your phone have to render smaller fonts/elements? I don't think so. Pixel density is important for phones, but you start getting diminishing returns after around 570PPI.

I don't think you understand how displays work user. try scaling a phone display to a laptop's size and you will see that the font in proportion to display size is viewed much larger on a phone, and much smaller (and thus ppi is more important) on laptops. fonts on phone screens are rendered to roughly the same physical size as they are on laptops (try holding your phone up next to your laptop screen) unless the phone is hidpi and the manufacturer is trying to squeeze more space in by making everything tiny. In which case it's not a matter of screen anymore. It's just the manufacturer making use of the extra pixel density allowing for readability on smaller size fonts, which does squeeze more text in the screen but will make the overall eyestrain more. now scale your phone screen back to its normal size and realize that fonts on phones are way crisper than anything you'll ever see on a regular laptop screen. and that the ones on laptops are fine as is. and that pixel counts on phone screens are, indeed, a meme.
t. a 360x640 9:16 5.2 inch phone screen user. text is not at all jagged and readability is just fine.

They should be marketing the device for secure communication (which it does better already) honestly. Marketing it for apps they can't realistically port at or after the release is stupid.

Let me add, I used a 1080p phone before (it broke, this one is temporary). And yes, things do look razor sharp on the screen. But what I'm trying to say is, 720p for readability is not an obstacle whatsoever.

>try scaling a phone display to a laptop's size and you will see that the font in proportion to display size is viewed much larger on a phone
No, it's not.
>and much smaller (and thus ppi is more important) on laptops
PPI means jack shit for laptops because you'll not be holding them 30cm from your face. That's why most laptops are still on 768p, aside from costs, of course.
>unless the phone is hidpi and the manufacturer is trying to squeeze more space in by making everything tiny
Or maybe they are making proper use of that screen? Come the fuck on.
>but will make the overall eyestrain more.
Bullshit.
>now scale your phone screen back to its normal size and realize that fonts on phones are way crisper than anything you'll ever see on a regular laptop screen
No shit, really?
>and that the ones on laptops are fine as is.
They are not fine on 14" 768p and will never be, your standards are just too low. But they don't look like absolute shit because you are holding your laptop way far from your eyes that you would hold your phone.
>and that pixel counts on phone screens are, indeed, a meme.
Up to ~570 PPI, no they are not.
>t. a 360x640 9:16 5.2 inch phone screen user. text is not at all jagged and readability is just fine.
Case closed, you are fucking blind. I went from a Galaxy S2, 4.3" 480x800 (217 PPI) to a Moto G3, 5" 1280x720 (294 PPI) in 2015 and the difference was day and night. Now on my I can't even notice the pixels at all on my S7, 5.5" 1440x2560 (577 PPI), everything looks smooth as butter.