Linus tech tips makes video about the Talos II motherboard

youtube.com/watch?v=lt8cu8IMLOM
Is he /ourguy/?

Attached: proxy.duckdugckgo.com.jpg (320x180, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

raptorcs.com/content/base/products.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>2 DIMM slots
I will never let this shit go down

So the cancer from the open source scene will bleed in to hardware now. Asking peopple to fix something broken on it will have go through this list of excuses.
>I do this as a hobby
>Do it your self, but don't you dare fork MY PROJECT only i can have attention for this.
>I am going on holiday
>Jump through hoops and like my tweets and join my discord or else you wont get support. But i may refuse to support you because you did not kiss the ground i walk on.
Such is life in an open source scene.

Yes, cause you totally need more thsn 256 GB on your 8 core..

I don't know why the fuck Linus keeps shilling his videos here, Wendell is way more Jow Forums than him and he wants fuck all to do with 4chins

>I do this as a hobby
>mass producing high-tech electronics as a hobby
>Do it your self, but don't you dare fork MY PROJECT only i can have attention for this.
>an ideology explicitly about forking projects would be against forking projects

Attached: 1544848789406.jpg (682x900, 115K)

shit bait
there would be nobody to ask because raptor will be dead in two years

so, Jow Forums personified

RAM gets fucking expensive as the DIMM capacities get higher and higher, it’s already a 20% premium in the price per GB going from 2x16GB ECC DIMMs to a single 32GB ECC DIMM
Also having to replace all of your RAM instead of just adding to it because you have no more free slots is retarded

>have CPU with quad channel RAM
>only put 2 RAM slots on the board

additional layers and traces would make it even more expensive, but yeah still a dick move

This is me right now. Two 16gb sticks

No matter how you try to spin it, e-celeb bullshit is not technology. Take this garbage back to the LTT circlejerk forum where it belongs.

What are you talking about nigger, they literally are going down since more nodes are being produced and the jdec standard gets higher.

to be fair, that's the budget board.

If you want a better board you can get one.

The Talos II Lite mainboard is the dual socket motherboard but without one of the sockets. But it has 8 DIMMS for full quad channel capacity.

But at $1150 + a $600 8 core CPU you're at $1750.

The motherboard with only 2 DIMMs with an 8 core CPU costs $1575. So you're saving just under $200 if you are fine with dual channel memory.

AND you get a MUCH smaller footprint. The 2 DIMM board is mATX, the other board is EATX.

>So you're saving just under $200 if you are fine with dual channel memory.
That's it? What's even the point?
For some reason I was under the impression they managed to get a blackbird+CPU down to under $1000.

it's mainly for the size aspect, and for people who aren't needing quad channel memory bandwidth, or someone who wants a more compact power9 capable PC.

Lets be real, EATX aint exactly an easy formfactor to work with as a home user unless you're building a desktop workstation or a rack mounted workstation. Much larger footprint than most people generally want to dedicate to a computer.

The mATX form factor of the blackbird makes it MUCH better for general use computers and the average home user to potentially buy/build.

Developers who want this hardware aren't JUST working at companies willing to buy this shit, sometimes they do it at home.

Clue me into the whole Talks I system. What about it exactly makes people so interested in it? Are there even any mainstream Operating systems available for it? What kind of performance is it bringing to the table? I'm assuming it's not x86 based or Jow Forums wouldn't give a shit. Or they'd be using VIA stuff.

watch the video

it's Power ISA

Hot damn
>Dual removable SOICs with write protect switches on both

I'm fucking cumming

Attached: 1549603441951.png (500x749, 161K)

I have lots of machines that are EATX or larger, they're not really hard to work with at all, and I think if you're so stricken for living space that you're prioritizing size over security or power you really probably shouldn't be wasting so much money on a POWER9 system in the first place. These are supposed to be workstations for sensitive and demanding applications, not another fashion accessory to post all over Jow Forumsbattlestations.

And i'm sure that's why the blackbird will sell more than the EATX Lite mainboard.

who gives a shit about these people
they don't actually get anything done

also, the barrier to entry regarding hardware generally keeps that kinda shit out anyway

Bumping thread because this bait needs more attention from braindead freetards.

>what is dual rank memory

I thought he was "going away"?

>already have dual CPU board with sufficient memory slots
>attempt to make a more affordable model
>waah why didn't you do things that'd make it more expensive

A DIMM socket costs like 2 cents.

I don't even know why you're complaining, it's not even cheap even to consider buying

Board space and additional traces cost money too

>people complain that the full blown board is too expensive
>make cheaper version cutting as much corners as possible while still having a decent product
>come out with a cheaper alternative for those people
>people complain it's not full blown enough
YOU
CAN'T
MAKE
THIS
SHIT
UP

>additional traces cost money too
>removing less copper costs more money

My autism demands one except I don't produce anything and can't justify locking myself out of x86 for no reason. Not to mention that green PCB mask makes me hot.

i fucking hate linus. sure his videos are good quality, but honestly the earrings make him look like a huge faggot. just fucking take them out bro.

Same. There's no logical reason whatsoever for me to own one, but if it were closer to the cost of consumer-grade x86 parts I'd probably buy one anyway because I'm retarded.

advertisement

Pretty much these. I'd probably still use my Ryzen box too though.

Nah, those people wil always complain, I was one of the people actually wantting a cheaper alternative, and I'm super excited.

>like 150 cheaper
>but with 2 dimm slots

I don't think you can run the dual-socket board with only one processor, user

I'm pretty sure you can, user, but the one I'm talking about is the talos-II lite that has a cpu socket and half of the dimm slots unpopulated for only 170 more.

Attached: boardlarge.png (1500x1000, 1.04M)

x86 is dying, it's time to move on

Why not? Most x86 dual socket boards can run with single CPU. You would think same thing applies here

Besides industrial and business use, who the fuck here gives two fucks about IBM's open source environment surrounding their proprietary PowerPC architecture CPUs? This is just retarded faggotry from retarded Linus.

Attached: special.olympics.ad.courtesy.art.jpg (292x219, 22K)

lol you don't just ad a dimm socket, you need to ad all the components to make sure it actually talks to the other components on the board
>My engine valve cover is only 20$
>why does my car cost thousands!!!1!!!?!?!/1
l o l

these guys are pretty cool

Attached: image.jpg (1200x798, 164K)

150? Isn't that one like half the price? Like 600 bucks instead of 1300.

No the blackbird is $975 USD

raptorcs.com/content/base/products.html

holy fucking shit if that isn't the most goddamn punchable face in the entire universe then I don't know what the fuck is