I cant believe this is real

I cant believe this is real

Attached: D353747A-8CD6-4199-9B5B-95E9DD82EA38.jpg (1976x1202, 401K)

I totally can.

Attached: loli malam minggu satania-4.gif (400x223, 943K)

based

(You)

Attached: 1531915482006.gif (800x1400, 260K)

As the saying goes, you can find better than Apple, but it's cheaper.

Samefag

UNIX boxes were all slow overpriced legacy garbage by then so it’s not really wrong.

Apple was really something back in the day

IBMs POWER workstations were still very competitive with Core 2 based Xeons in the late 2000's, even better performance wise in many cases, but not price wise.

OS X was a decent choice back then because desktop GNU/Linux was an underdeveloped pain in the ass.

Still is.

AIX was pretty much dead on the desktop by then, you’d be lucky to even see one of the G5 intellistations that still used slower parts than any Power Mac.

And as an aside, POWER at that time was a pretty limp desktop architecture anyway thanks to slow integer performance.

>was

>behold, the power of normie money

Based and still is

BASED
seething

>see one of the G5 intellistations
The G5 (PPC 970) IntelliStations were budget offerings to get rid of old Apple stock. High end ones used POWER5.

i cant believe macintosh looks so fucking ugly now. ive never tried mac os so have no comment on it as an operating system but older 10.4 looks fantastic. i also think windows 7 and vista looked good and don't really get the hate. fuck i just love that shiny bubble gradiant on things, i love kde3 too for the same reason. late 00s was the best for guis

I never said otherwise, just that the platform in general was moribund and had no reason to exist other than legacy applications. POWER was a fucking housefire and had terrible integer performance.

At least POWER is free of ME/PSP botnets

Just like everything else in 2002, but the workstations were only usable with proprietary AIX so it's a moot point anyway.

Funny how I thought OSX was badass in like 2004 but now I'd rather use Arch Linux.

OS X was a huge deal back in the early 2000s, when Windows and MacOS were unstable garbage and Linux practically required an engineering degree to use. Apple took the stability and efficiency of UNIX and polished it up to appeal to everyday consumers. It was a brilliant decision at the time, but modern Linux distributions (especially LTS releases) pretty much make Macs look like an overpriced luxury these days.

It is pretty nice. It's like a halfway between a proper Linux CLI toolset and the failed abortion that Windows has with their WSL emulated syscall bullshit.

>pretty much make Macs look like an overpriced luxury these days.
Couldn't agree more. You will never need more than a shitbox running any Linux distro these days, but Macs are pretty nice if you have more money than you know what to do with. Just imagine your favorite Linux distro, in 5k retina display with the ability to run popular commercial software. It's not a bad thing desu

Owned one of the first gen ones, ran Linux on it. It was a decent enough machine.

OSX was and still is a steaming heap of shit. That fucking trash made Windows 95 seem stable until at least 10.6. SIX FUCKING YEARS. And it's still garbage today. Fuck off.

Old Macs were fine desu

>btw I use arch

Attached: 1497630692511.png (1024x1097, 602K)

Imagine being this emotional and this wrong.

Still more stable than all iterations of Windows lol

Windows is rock solid since at least win7 - unless you've got some problems with your hardware. Fair enough, chances are certainly higher since we're not limited to what uncle apple has put together for us.

Imagine actually believing this, wintoddler Stockholm syndrome at its finest

>kde3
trinity 14.06 is just about to be released

Attached: 140130-redstar-terminal.png (1024x769, 345K)

>Just like everything else in 2002
POWER5+ was from late 2005.

>only usable with proprietary AIX
GNU/Linux.

DELET

Attached: 1528693393861.gif (514x900, 140K)

GNU/Linux lacks the buttery smoothness of MacOS

>POWER5+ was from late 2005.
What does that have to do with anything?
>GNU/Linux.
Never properly supported POWER workstations due to proprietary graphics subsystems. You know, the things that actually made them workstations and not just servers in a pedestal case.

I can tell you're yet another person who didn't know what POWER was until someone here reminded you it had the cool ThinkPad company's logo on it.

I like Mac OS
I like Linux
I like BSD

I see them as different sides of the same coin
>3 sided coins

fagOS users lack a toilet to shit in

MACTODDLERS ON SUICIDE WATCH

Attached: 1551137937103.jpg (252x251, 30K)

>What does that have to do with anything?
What has 2002 to do with anything then?

>Never properly supported POWER workstations due to proprietary graphics subsystems.
I don't know about this, since I never used a any original GPU (i.e. a GXT6500P that I actually laying around right here) they shipped with, with Linux, since they were pretty outdated compared to the rest of the hardware even for the time. You could use any PCI-X card, even with a non-native firmware, as long as you had the Linux drivers for it, Linux would take over and initialise the card once you booted it up.

>You know, the things that actually made them workstations and not just servers in a pedestal case.
We aren't talking about professionals using the hardware, but people looking for similar capable alternatives from x86 turning that period. Nobody used a PowerBook G4 as a workstation replacement.

>I can tell you're yet another person who didn't know what POWER was until someone here reminded you it had the cool ThinkPad company's logo on it.
Why do discussions about old hardware always lead to bitter projecting? I've had and still do own my a share of IBM POWER machines. Even though they never were my favorite, I've used them extensively already over a decade ago.

Attached: AD9D673C-AF21-4241-8C2C-4A0CCC11F082.gif (500x335, 2.62M)

Lmao, fuck off idiot.

Well, I hoped for some actual interesting discussion, but if you want to shitpost, godspeed to you.
I'm off to sleep, have fun, user.

>You could use any PCI-X card, even with a non-native firmware, as long as you had the Linux drivers for it, Linux would take over and initialise the card once you booted it up.
Sure, I'll give you that.
>Why do discussions about old hardware always lead to bitter projecting?
I don't know, man. I started out with a half-shitpost comment that was directed at the decaying state of System V on the desktop in 2002 when that ad ran and then some retard replied to me talking about how Jow Forums's favorite meme RISC was really competitive with Core 2 in some undefined benchmark/application that had nothing to do with anything I said, the whole thing is quite incoherent and you just got roped into the clusterfuck by association.

BASED AND REDPILLED

>Jow Forums's favorite meme RISC
risc-v?

imo sparc > arm > power > risc-v > anything else
but majority of Jow Forums is a risc-v fanboy

how will mactoddlers ever recover?

Those faggots are annoying but at least they were always around. Nobody here really gave a shit about POWER until a few years ago when someone started making daily POWER8 shill threads, then every Reddit drone who read about RISC on Wikipedia once wouldn't shut the fuck up about how based IBM was going to save us from the x86 scourge.

It's all so tiresome.

absolutely based

it's the talos marketing team

The only shills I'm okay with

OOF

>diverting funds and attention from worthwhile new FOSS hardware into an old dinosaur housefire arch that got opensourced in an attempt to stay relevant
yeah perfectly okay

Based.

I love that old dinosaur housefire arch and am not a freetard, so it is perfectly okay

this. everything went to shit when they switched to intel and than started to become a conusmer only company.

then it makes even less sense why you’d be into the Talos considering it’s a freetard box that can’t run AIX or any other interesting POWER only software, just the same stuff you can run on literally anything else

Show me another POWER9 system I can build for ~$1500

based and redpilled

why bother at all when you can run literally the exact same distros and software for the same exact experience on a PC for $1000 less

Because I can

this is exactly why the talos is retarded
it offers literally nothing new other than a different sticker on a generic supermicro EATX case, it’s just a PC that costs more and does the same or less

based and debirupilled

I'm sorry, I thought this was a board for tech enthusiasts

absolutely, enthusiasts generally look beyond the logo on the case

Brainless “because I can” consumerism != tech enthusiasm

The whole reason I'm interested in this is the hardware

I'm interested in the architecture and have been for years, I'm going to use it because it's actually capable of being used. In other words, "because I can."

If you were actually interested in the architecture for any reason other than the difference in neofetch output I think you’d have more substantial projects in mind than “because I can.”

absolutely based

I plan on eventually getting around to learning POWER assembly, everything else I plan to do on it can be done on a normal PC so they're not really worth mentioning. Really the point is that I can use this non-x86 architecture that can be found everywhere from embedded environments to supercomputers for my desktop like I used to.

Apple: What's POSIX?

Attached: AAEAAQAAAAAAAAZQAAAAJGZiZWNkMzYxLTI5ZjMtNDMxMy1iZTkxLTJlNmU0MWJlYWNkZA.jpg (698x400, 49K)

Something they've adhered to at least since 10.5 on Intel

Linux is mostly POSIX compliant and just *NIX like.
macOS is actually POSIX compliant and a real SysV derivative.

Back to your shitting street Ranjeet.

Attached: 1522689232592.png (506x927, 163K)

They wouldn't have UNIX certs for every version if they didn't comply with POSIX

Linux powers the internet and all the world's supercomputers.

POOSIX is a dead meme with zero marketshare and used solely`on manchild fruit toys by by manchild faggots.

Attached: 1528671253536.png (800x480, 19K)

You wouldn't shit in the street if you had a toilet.

Attached: 1528312892944.jpg (622x888, 185K)

fagOS LITERALLY failed POSIX compliance for 95% of its life
fuck off street shitter

I have two toilets and use the nearest one whenever I have to shit

If that was true it wouldn't hold UNIX certs

BASTE

fuck off street shitter

If that was true it wouldn't hold unix certs

fuck off street shitter

Attached: 1552386055566.png (800x522, 572K)

fuck off street shitter

fuck off street shitter

INDIA SUPERPOWER BY 2020
MY GOVERNMENT SAID IT SO IT MUST BE TRUE

Attached: 1538100301299.jpg (875x930, 234K)

no u

fuck off street shitter

fuck off street shitter

Attached: IMG_20190323_112403_039.jpg (767x520, 57K)

THE REVIVAL

Attached: 006-SBZXr7z.gif (300x225, 1.43M)

who is this bitch and why does she laugh like a typewriter?

Attached: ggr6f58kx2m21.jpg (714x701, 52K)