/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous Thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 1543210263318.jpg (3120x4160, 3.63M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2UJ_a7mxGpM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

illya

lolis

Attached: kanna thinkpaddu.png (500x281, 202K)

So other than your being a bunch of fanbois who want Lenovo to have the same hipster cult following as Apple products, is there any actual, valid reason behind why you guys actually prefer Lenovo over other brands built with a similar quality level and sold at a similar cost?

X60s a cute!

Attached: think.jpg (2000x1500, 669K)

The clit and repairability.

>>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
Retarded. It's not about cult following is about cost/benefit.
No one wants Lenovo to have a following, hype thiccpads would make the prices go up.

Jow Forums meets /c/

How would the price of something that only has a 40 minute battery life ever go up?

So I have an IBM T42. She still works & the battery life's still approximately 4 hours. I want to be able to upgrade its storage, but I don't know if the Ultrabay would support those Ultrabay SATA adapters to use an SSD. Can you point me to the right direction about this?

what is supply and demand?

So how would supplying a bunch of laptops with shitty battery life increase their demand?

Let's see if I can revive this dead x220 board.

Attached: IMAG2035.jpg (5376x3024, 2.71M)

If people hype thinkpads people will buy then regardless of battery

R8

Attached: IMG_20190116_215211.jpg (4048x3036, 2.11M)

thinkfags BTFO

Bēsu to reddopiru

Attached: 1531066363961.jpg (680x764, 58K)

Why would you do that user? Do you take this autismpad out to public places?

Notice how the stickers are pristine

>using a pirated operating system that could have shit as bad or worse than Microsoft telemetry clandestinely slipped into the install

But, my Ultranav drivers...

I feel for you guys. And also, keep in mind about half of that 60% is probably lost to corruption and favelafags. I don't know how Brazil hasn't had some sort of fascist coup seeking to restore the Empire.

Local shop selling an E430 with i5-2350M and 4gb ram. Good deal or not? I'm more of a Dell guy.

Fuck me running. Its for sale for $135.

No, that's bad. Don't get an E series.

Same place also has a Tecra 40-A for $175 it has an i5-4200u and 8GB ram.

What's the deal with the E series Lenovos?

You know, the E series are really not so bad. I got an E520 for free from my neighbour in the summer of 2017, and aside from the horrifically low-res display, it's been a pretty good college laptop. If you could find one insanely cheap, I wouldn't say that it's a bad choice. But it probably is a bad choice if you can get one for the same price as a T/X/W.

Thanks for the heads up. I still pack around my D630 and wanted something polished so I don't look autistic around a bunch of guys in suits with Excel. I posted a couple threads back with some similar questions. You fags are alright.

>using a pirated operating system that could have shit as bad or worse than Microsoft telemetry clandestinely slipped into the install
That's why you always compare MD5 or SHA-1 hashes to what's officially available from MS.

40 minute battery life?.

Guys, I've been having chronic issues with my ThinkPad turning off instead of going into sleep mode, and having bad gateway issues after reaching a certain level of bandwidth usage.

How do I fix this?

Attached: SSDTest.png (1180x823, 104K)

install gentoo

why did you black that out? Who cares about your serial # and BIOS version. lulz

I don't want to get hacked.

Just decided I should err on the side of caution when posting my shit on 4chin and then decided to black out the serial and BIOS with the product obviously

Proof that a computer is only as good as the owner's attitude towards its maintenance & care.

>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad

Anyone here ever use an R60e? Can pick one up for 100 bucks.

Doesn't look like it would work, but I know there are PATA optical bay to SATA HDD adapters out there.

can't believe some of you actually use fukken T60 memepads, like, as a daily driver. Mine's in a box somewhere.
How do you deal with the unbeliebavly shitty IGP. It sucks so hard on Windose, I canot begin to imagine how much it will suck in Linux.

That's not solely restricted to Lenovo or IBM machines. Every used laptop is cheaper than brand new (or new/used "gaming") laptops.

That's also a matter of taste, as some people would actually argue that chicklet keyboards on other brands of laptop are just as good. Mind you, chicklet keyboards on netbooks are shit, but what do you expect from shitty netbooks anyways?

There are a number of rugged laptops out there that are sold for just as cheap, yet are actually even stronger than the Lenovo T models physically. And guess what; they cost the same.

Most older laptops have utilitarian designs where you can easily find all the LEDs, the power switch and everything else. It's only the newer consumer shit made in the past 3 years that you really can't find it that easily, but for the most part, consumers and non-autistic users will largely ignore the LEDs anyways.

A laptop can still be used on a desk and the only indicator of a laptop's strength as a desktop replacement is its hardware-related performance... Which has been pretty much at its peak since 2013-2015. You really don't need a dock to make a laptop into a desktop replacement; only a good CPU, good RAM and good storage media.

To be continued.

Continued from >Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
The same can be said for most brands of laptops available even brand new, let alone used. The presence of a field manual means nothing if you're actually smart enough to know how to fix a computer anyways.

So why do you frequent mouse threads that talk about GS-400 shit? And a number of other systems have trackpoints as well (i.e.: Dell business laptops too, which aren't banned from discussion on this thread).

Nowadays, most computers support non-MS operating systems (and do so quite well). Whether it's emulated in a VM or on bare metal, saying that Lenovo specifically supports these OSes better is trivial because OS support is only as good as CPU/mainboard, RAM & storage specs.

So why do YOU specifically concentrate on being a fanboi for used (and outdated) laptop hardware that's still affected by CPU-based security holes, when all the qualities you've stated apply to a lot of non-Lenovo laptops? And it's alright to admit that you're just a fanboi (most faggots on Jow Forums are nothing but fanbois and only pretend that they have actual technical knowledge of anything).

holy shit are you the same turd from last night?
do you take some weird pleasure in entering threads and harassing people who like stuff you don't?
are you mentally ill?

If yours is still in a box, I'm sure faggot fanbois like would actually pay you double its original price when you decide to sell it.

I'm not even mad, this level of autism is amazing.

Attached: 1553030955526.jpg (250x219, 14K)

>Hurr I'm trolled because you proved my logic to be flawed
Umm... I think you're the mentally sick one here for being offended over clear facts. Just do you, but next time, if you ever want to be considered smart, you'd actually do more than just copy-paste what's on the OP when you're asked why YOU specifically like something. Otherwise, you're no better than a macfag who says "le I le like le Macbooks because of le Retina."

Hey everyone. Pay attention to the contrarian.

srsly dude. Get a hobby. It's depressing.

What amazes me is how you're so much of a drone, that you refuse to actually formulate your own opinion as to why you have a preference for Lenovo laptops over others that have the exact same features that you just copy-pasted.

why don't you namedrop some actual laptop models?

>people discussing good budget options for hardware
>>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
>REEEEEEEE WHY ARE YOU FAGS SUCH FANBOIS I HATE THINKPADS STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE
wtf dude

Attached: yudi1.jpg (286x345, 73K)

I guess I'm going to post it here instead of /sqt/.

So my brother water damaged his Thinkpad (x220), and he went to a repair center, they told him his ram was damaged, and the keyboard too, so they replaced them, now the computer is freezing, it boots but after some minutes of use it freezes, they told him it was a problem with the HDD. So I went and checked the HDD and it was fine, zero errors.

So I checked the RAM with a CD Live, and showed several errors, tried it on my main laptop (a newer model chinkpad), and it works, so no RAM problems.

I tried using other ram sticks from a x220t I have lyring around, but 2 channel ram wont boot for some reason even though before they changed the ram they were 2, 2 channel ram sticks.

So I don't know anymore, what could be causing the freezing? are the ram slots broken? what else can cause a pc to freeze? send help thinkpad bros.

Attached: 263613e7c8ee8419f793474c414ba212.jpg (700x988, 839K)

I have a hobby already; it's also a well-paying job. I fix laptops freelance and I fic all brands (which is why I'm calling you out when you say that only Lenovo laptops are easy to fix). They're only easy to fix for people who need hand-holding.

I'm not being contrarian at all. I haven't said anything like "Lenovos are difficult to repair" or "They're more expensive." I'm mearely stating that you can get used Dell/HP/whatever business laptops of the same build quality, specs and dependability for the same price, while asking specifically for your opinion.

Panasonic CF-30 and CF-31 are just a couple of laptops that come to mind, that have higher specs than T60 laptops & physically better build quality, for the exact same price as a used X220.

This. All that the idiot(s) have proven is that they're not any better than macfags who actually think gimmicks are a sign of quality.

stop replying to this dude, I think he's legit autistic. you're only encouraging his self-destructive behaviour.

Incorrect anti-static precautions; the repair center pajeets burned the mainboard while replacing the keyboard or RAM.

Yeah... I think you're legitimately autistic because you can't formulate your own valid opinions, instead relying on copying what's already written to express something valid for other brands.

Thanks for letting mac users know that they're living in your head rent free

Buddy... It even says in OP that we can talk about used non-Lenovo/IBM business laptops. And I also think all he wanted was your own personal opinion of what makes Lenovo stand out from the rest, but all you do is autistically rage over his telling you that your copypasta isn't valid.

And judging by your fanboyism, you must be the faggot who posted

OK I'm done being worried about you, I'm just gonna let your pathos amuse me like the rest of the anons ITT

Attached: kek.gif (220x211, 35K)

should I replace the entire motherboard?

>He actually worried about pixels on his screen

Attached: Laughing Duck.gif (400x225, 1.96M)

see

I don't go out.

More than likely, it's cheaper to just get another laptop of the same make and model. Standalone motherboards tend to be more expensive than the entire unit at this point.

Bro... You're still so riled up over that guy asking you for an opinion, that you don't even know how to quote properly. Just go to bed.

lurk moar

I do lurk... That's why you seem more like the community retard than anything. Just sleep, man. You'll feel better in the morning, when you get up and get to work on whatever Lenovo machine you use. But do something more productive than browsing Jow Forums and Jow Forums, like looking for a job.

Don't bother answering him. This is Jow Forums ffs... Don't expect anyone to have intelligent conversation about anything, let alone the intelligence to have a conversation or their own opinion on things.

420s master race

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-22_21-52-56.png (1600x900, 580K)

nice

Thanks, man. I'll have to look into it more because I had a feeling that the IBM Ultrabay specs were different than the Lenovo Ultrabay specs. I just wish I could get an add-on to replace the CD drive with.

>the great replacement
imagine being this insecure with being of the dominant race and culture that you have to explore conspiracies that make you somehow the victim. yikes, nigga.

Just bought an x250 on ebay for $150. It works great for what I do but I notice its not libreboot compatible. Is the botnet coming to get me /g?

The cuck's bible... That's what happens when you install Manjaro on a T420, then get into an online hissy fit over someone pointing out that copypasta isn't a valid opinion.

>manjaro
>right wing ideology masked with dogwhistles
You might as well use windows and be honest about how much you hate brown people

I dropped my X220 off a desk the other week. Any other laptop, such a drop would have worried me. I literally said to my housemate, "don't worry, it's a thinkpad" before picking it up, pushing the keyboard back in and turning it back on.

10/10 fuck ever buying anything else

Or admit to being a self-hating pajeet who unironically still uses Windows XP from pirated ISOs with 2019 driver slipstreamed.

Are you a man of international intrigue?
If not, you're fine.

>Or admit to being a self-hating pajeet who unironically still uses Windows XP from pirated ISOs with 2019 driver slipstreamed.
Nice dubs but you are still a severely braindead Jow Forumsyp

Takes one to know one, me droog.

Also, IBM R51 reporting in.

Just librebooted my x200. What OS should I install?

Funtoo with only Free Software.

>tfw Microsoft took a jab at /tpg/ & Win7 luddites

Attached: 1553313086767.jpg (1820x1213, 184K)

The latest OpenBSD/amd64 snapshot.

what's with the manjaro hate?
t. windows user

"Manjaro" is an ancient Hebrew word meaning "I can't install Arch".

Attached: 1465790048145.jpg (776x678, 133K)

Hey guys need some help here. Recently got a T450s. Neat laptop. I did a FHD mod with an Innolux display which is beautiful but I'm now getting burn in/retention within 10 minutes of use. Is this normal or a fault?

>Innolux
This is a known problem.
Get another brand or model of panel if you want to avoid it.

>This is a known problem.
Ah alright then. I'll save up and get another display soon. Thank you.

Eyyyyy got it working. Now time to build coreboot for it.

Attached: IMAG2039.jpg (5376x3024, 2.8M)

>enters thread that he know's he doesn't like
>proceeds to try to change the opinions of people who actually know what their talking about.
youtu.be/2UJ_a7mxGpM

Imagine screwing your core audience.

Attached: 2019-03-21-184603_1366x768_scrot.png (1074x489, 190K)

I can buy an Elitebook 830 G5, add a 32GB RAM kit, and it'll be cheaper. Seriously, way to go Lenovo on losing a sale.

I don't mind X series having some compromises for the extra mobility and shit, but this gen T490s uses exact same mobo as X390 and it's also fully soldered and that is total bullshit.

Aren't those the ones with one DIMM soldered and the other slotted so you can still upgrade?

NOPE. everything is soldered. next gen after this, theyll probably solder ssds too.

no you're thinking of T480s or this gen T490 has what you're talking about, X series and T490s are all soldered with no slots for expansion

The X1 Carbon is so fucking nice. The only thing I don't like about it is having to use an adaptor or dongle for the ethernet port.

>T500
just got one for free a few days ago, not really sure what its good for should i pay the money for a battery?

Attached: download.jpg (1000x1000, 77K)

Use it as a torrenting machine.

dude what in the everliving fuck are you doing there? What are you trying to achieve?
Is that an raspberry pi 3? No offense, just genuinely interested.