I need to build a portfolio fast, what are some interesting yet beginner friendly projects I can do?

I need to build a portfolio fast, what are some interesting yet beginner friendly projects I can do?

Attached: 1465363979798_0.jpg (2170x1070, 519K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/loscil06/random_names_csvwriter
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hello world

Attached: challenges.png (1450x1080, 378K)

Number to binary converter. Way easier than it sounds.

Isnt there an updated version of this somewhere

Re-create core linux programs in your language of choice (like grep, find, cat) it introduces you to file manipulation and a lot of important core concepts while giving you some direction. That's how I started with python.

I'd like to interject for a moment. Those core programs are actually taken from the GNU operating system. Theyre the GNU part in GNU/Linux.

sure, i'll roll.

boring, reroll

Rolling. I need to either kill myself or start learning to program already.

rolling

Attached: 1527524179608.png (3840x2160, 1.61M)

roll

reroll

roll

Rolling for the weekend

roll

rolluwu

roolllingn

ROLL

>basic neural network
>easy
what

It's basic after all.

how? I'm guessing you're assuming that just because it can be done in Python that it's automatically easy as shit and that anyone can do it

The difficulty levels here are all over the goddamn place.

>interesting
Do useful stuff. Get a raspberry pi and a waveshare e-ink display, pin it to your wall and make it display your calendar and assorted other information.

Get a raspberry pi (or a NUC if you have a bit more cash available or an ordinary PC if electricity in your country is cheap and you don't care about fan noise) and install server software on it. If you went the x86 route instead, you can also start to learn about KVM, x-forwarding/VNC, virtual networking, etc.
The moment you start installing server VMs on your NUC, you will need to start thinking about routing tables and shit.
For server software I can suggest pihole, cups, nextcloud, ejabberd, maybe a mail server.
Use DDNS to offset the fact that your home IP is likely dynamic.

For less useful stuff, you can build a robot from first principle. Get one of those "two motors and a battery compartment on an acrylic plate" kits for three-wheeled robots, then solder your own set of two H-bridges and drive them from an Arduino. Progressively add more and more stuff and optimize your hardware - exchange your ghetto H-bridges for custom PCBs or purpose-built commercially available H-bridges once you are past that stage, for example.

I personally built a battery-powered countdown timer with an Arduino Mini and an OLED-display. Doing the energy optimizations is quite worthwhile in terms of learning.

As for pure software projects, you could start by getting Linux to run on unusual hardware that has a kernel patch available. Compiling the kernel and patching it can already be quite involved.

You could also build a database application. Frontend in whatever library you like, backend in something like mySQL or sqlite. For example, you could use it to store data on your exercise regime or your Jow Forums post history and its metadata.
Try to make it as normalized as possible, so that you actually have to use Joins and shit.

role

Attached: 1521684823434.gif (457x461, 67K)

roll

Make a fucking single perceptron. BASIC.

Benis

roll

Roll

roll

Rollin

Not actually rolling

Wait why the FUCK is this one-indexed

rollin

rollll

roll

Roll

Reroll because fuck pi

rollerino

nig

Rawling

Multi-roll pt.1

Multi-roll pt.2
Not that I'll do these, but having a choice is nice

2easy and 2hard.
Reroll for

Reroll for

roll

Boring, reroll

Don't like these too, reroll

This is a good idea.
Funny meme

The fuck is tornado text/image? I'm interested.

Roll

Roll

The only good post in the thread and it has no replies. Jow Forums has no taste.

now or never.

if 1 then print 1;
if 2 then print 10;
if 3 then print 11;
if 4 then print 100;
if 5 then print 101;
if 6 then print 111;
if >=7 then print "error, number too big";
#only works up to 6

There ya go OP I got you started

roll

considering it sound very easy, ...

rolling. i'll use kotlin

>get a raspberry pi
Stopped reading there

roll

>linux programs
there's only one linux program, the kernel. Linux is a kernel. I think you may be talking about the GNU core utilities

2D tile—based rpg.

not gonna do it but wanna see

#include

int main(){
int i = 0, num, remainder[9] = {0};

printf("Enter your number: \n");
scanf("%d", &num);

while (num != 0) {
remainder[i] = (num % 2);
num /= 2;
i++;
}

printf("In binary: ");

for (; i >= 1; --i) {
printf("%d", remainder[i - 1]);
}

printf("\n");

return 0;
}

Attached: 1547140807941.png (292x173, 71K)

roll

Rolling

Roll

OP here, did a random name generator
github.com/loscil06/random_names_csvwriter

roal

Rolando.

>already done this (udp)
reroal

Rolling, working on a project right now though. Might do this after

oh fuck off

This. I rolled my own OG Unix utils and it gave me something to blabber about in my interviews.

roll
Also if you do all of these in 2 languages, do you think you'd be hireable somewhere?

no you autist. they care about your degree and the last company you worked for

rollin

roll

>degree
N/A
>last company you worked for
Food joint

Rolling for no mercy.

Attached: rainy-days.jpg (1545x1024, 1.61M)

Why not
Rollin

rawhide

>op: I need to build a portfolio fast, what are some interesting yet beginner friendly projects I can do?
>/g: make your own language, vm for it and build a game
>pepehands.avi

>hurr durr beginner shouldn't use beginner tools because there's less supported but slightly more powerful gear out there
Just the raspi-config wifi configuration dialog alone makes Raspbian a selling point for the Pi.
Fuck configuring wifi on stock Linux without a desktop environment. The Raspberry foundation is the only group that gets it right.

Rolling

backpropagation in a perceptron requires extensive knowledge of calculus
if you're making it using existing libraries it's a joke
if you're making it from scratch, implementing the gradient calculations it is something quite hard

roll
I wont do anything thats undoable in python

Ive already done tower of hanoi years ago
Also did it using AI a* search algo
get me something new

Roll something nice

Nigger, BASIC
Just use the difference between the output and the target

Rolling.
I'll do it in emacs and learn that at the same time.

Attached: 1551766690915.png (400x333, 91K)

>extensive knowledge of calculus
what the fuck are you on about i made one in high school using nothing but java. all you need to understand is the concept of backpropagation and loops

Rolling

Rerolling

Roll

roll. plz be ez

oh no

all memes aside, this is correct and accurate

fuck rolling I always get red, just gonna go by the list