Futatsu.org - major site update

I'm that guy from /wdg/ still working on his imageboard at futatsu.org (code is over at github.com/DangerOnTheRanger/maniwani); after the grand opening thread in December () I've gone off and incorporated a lot of the feedback I received, and I feel the place is in a state where I can ask everyone outside of /wdg/ to take a look again. Quick rundown of what's new since last time:

* A super-cute new mascot!
* Reworked catalog and thread view, way nicer to look at than before, and scales better on large displays. The catalog/firehose doesn't require JS anymore, either.
* reCAPTCHA is gone, captchouli is now used instead. Whole site is botnet free and entirely usable with JS disabled again.
* Live thread updating, where posts others make show up instantly thanks to SSEs. Doesn't work in IE/Edge right now, but that can be polyfilled away if there's interest.
* All static content (everything but CAPTCHA images and HTML) is served over a CDN now; the site should be a lot faster for those of you who don't live in/near the US northeast.
* HTTPS support is now up and running.
* Upload limits are properly set - you can upload up to 5MB as advertised instead of 1MB.

Still working on custom themes (night theme is planned) and touching up the mobile interface, but I'm interested in hearing what Jow Forums at large has to say about where the whole thing is right now. Come hang out in the project IRC if you want to get more invested - #maniwani on rizon.net.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-23 Futatsu - home(1).png (1550x791, 396K)

Other urls found in this thread:

uwsgi-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ThingsToKnow.html
futatsu.org/
futatsu.org
github.com/DangerOnTheRanger/maniwani/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
twitter.com/AnonBabble

not too shabby progress, nice work

Nice work. I'll enjoy reading the source again.

what is that captcha what the actual fuck

so this is the power of /wdg/

Attached: zzz.png (750x836, 127K)

Thanks - the source code could still be a little nicer-looking but I've tried to keep it reasonably understandable. I also recently committed a short guide on contributing to the project, including a brief overview of the architecture and a bird's-eye view of how you'd go about making some common modifications.

meguca uses the same library if I recall correctly, I set it to Fate characters instead of Touhou ones, thought it'd fit in with Futatsu having /fate/ and all. I think it's way nicer than reCAPTCHA, personally, though I'm always open to suggestions. captchouli is a really interesting project from a technical perspective though, I have to say.

I caught the overflowing issue and pushed a fix, but I don't think it's propagated its way through the CDN yet. You're using a tablet, right? I'm still working on the mobile interface, and was looking at implementing a menu that slides out from the side the way someone suggested in the previous thread.

Nice to see you working on it, OP. Great mascot! How did you acquire it?

>Reworked catalog and thread view, way nicer to look at than before
I like it.
>All static content (everything but CAPTCHA images and HTML) is served over a CDN now
It is usually a mistake to use a CDN before you have any real traffic. It slows down development and like all caching it may cause bugs that are difficult to pin down. To make matters worse, right now loading your front page times out. The problem is not on my end.

Attached: Screenshot 2019-03-23 PageSpeed Insights.png (914x599, 76K)

Love captchouli so far, definitely leagues better than recaptcha!

Posting OP's mascot so that when all is dead and gone the cuteness is preserved on RBT and warosu.

Attached: 805.png (1966x2186, 1.35M)

Artist friend of mine was interested in the project, I asked him about doing up a mascot for the imageboard, and here we are, pretty much.
>To make matters worse, right now loading your front page times out. The problem is not on my end.
Yeah, I'm trying to do too much on one very small VPS. I'm looking into doubling the available memory right now, so the site will be down for probably 10-15 minutes. At least this is better than the last thread with the one user with the spambot.
Glad to hear you like the change, user!

>horsefucker as the drawing board mascot
commit sudoku

Site should be back up for the time being. I upped the RAM in the VPS from 1GB to 2GB, so this ought to hold up for a while.
Honestly the thing I was most excited to show off to everyone was the mascot, new features be damned.
Make a new post in /draw/ and it'll get removed, user.

This looks great but the website loadings are really really slow atm

This.

Yeah, it's still something I'm looking into at the moment. My gut says it's not a resource issue at this point, but a configuration problem somewhere between uWSGI and nginx.

>I upped the RAM in the VPS from 1GB to 2GB, so this ought to hold up for a while.
Holy shit, why was your website so slow with 1GB, senpai? Why is it still sloooow with 2GB? If you have something else hogging up the resources on the VPS, don't up the RAM. Provision a separate VPS. I've seen a faster imageboard running on a Pentium MMX that couldn't even access the whole of 256 MB RAM.

Attached: Sakura is concerned.png (800x600, 461K)

Are you spawning enough workers? Did you enable lazy in case you are I/O hogged?

For starters, look at iotop and htop.

Add uwsgitop to this, make sure you enabled the stats socket.

Honestly, I think it was my inexperience configuring uWSGI; the site didn't nearly have this much popularity last time I posted it, so it didn't get stress-tested. It seems it was a problem with lack of workers like said, I was running with about 4 or so, but with 15 things seem to be fine for the time being.
Maniwani also needs (for an ideal prod deployment) stuff like docker/redis/captchouli that will add a fair bit extra to memory requirements - the VPS was down to low double-digit amounts of free RAM before I increased it, but I think the low number of workers was the primary culprit after increasing the memory limit. All this quick advice was definitely appreciated, I was getting a little concerned myself.
Yeah, I'm gonna keep uwsgitop waiting for the next time I have a performance issue. I've read about but admittedly haven't used it much.

Yeah it's fine user, I also had my site crash in production due to I/O workers hanging.
Make sure to read this uwsgi-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ThingsToKnow.html and on all the lazy algorithms you have available.

Attached: 1552369493541.jpg (800x1132, 573K)

How much memory should I be using, just in general ballpark terms? I was playing around with my uwsgi.ini and have something like this:
[uwsgi]
processes=15
gevent=50

Is that overkill when using gevent? Speaking of lazy stuff, it was my understanding that the lazy options increased memory usage, not decreased it. Memory usage is my current worry now that the site is running smoothly, and I'm a little worried with how little room I've given myself to operate.

If you are sitting over 95% it might be time to start worrying, the last thing you want is to start swapping. Do a test using JMeter or the like to see how high does your usage go on load, try to keep that around 95% I guess.
As you are using gevent you don't really need to keep lazy workers as if you are using async libraries you should only really hang when CPU bound. Try processes= gevent=.

>You're using a tablet, right?
no a computer, I rarely browse fullscreen

attempting to break free of this place by establishing your own motherbase? a honorable goal, free soul.

Attached: 1523314384487.jpg (900x900, 164K)

I love the mascot.

Attached: 70ba1a02720881bce0a9920b1688d7b959cada81.png (302x200, 10K)

Actually doing stress-testing instead of throwing a bunch of anons at the server and praying would probably do me some good, yeah. When there's a lull in traffic I'll see if I can use JMeter or something.
You bringing up processes also made me realize I had forgotten I had provisioned a VPS with a single CPU, so thanks for that too, user. I've been staying up too late again.

Isn't that essentially half of a 16:9 screen? I'm not knocking you, I'm just wondering how you see much of anything on the modern web. Don't most sites show up as their mobile counterparts?
I think of it as more of a complement, discussing niche stuff that a more general imageboard might pass over.

Attached: 1530192659128.jpg (1520x855, 108K)

>JMeter
ab is easier.
sudo apt install apache2-utils

It still feels a bit bare bones for my tastes. There aren't any custom css themes as far as I can tell and I really like dark themes with more contrast to tell apart posts, also you don't even see the image filename or size which is annoying to say the least. Also there don't seem to be any tags in the body of a post like spoiler or code block tags.

The concept looks nice but I'd say tune the modern design down a little bit (I think it's a little bit too spacious and clean looking) and maybe look at some elements of Jow Forums or meguca (since you already took captchouli anyway) to look for nice features to steal from them (don't reinvent the wheel basically).

why does it look like reddit?

Attached: Screenshot_20190323-204059.jpg (1080x1920, 329K)

Bootstrap?

lucy is shit tier

It's too white! The posts blend in with the background colour. If you made the posts are slightly darker grey (or p-pink~~), the site would look a lot nicer. Don't change anything else; it's perfect.

The mascot loves you too, user!
I'll take a look at it too, thanks.

>There aren't any custom css themes as far as I can tell and I really like dark themes with more contrast to tell apart posts,
Yeah, I'm just now focusing more on look and feel. I'm in the process of adding a custom theme with a night version instead of just stock Bootstrap. Being able to differentiate between posts is something else I agree with, and something people have brought up before, I think.
>also you don't even see the image filename or size which is annoying to say the least.
I intentionally decided not to include filenames since I think they're used just for memes without any purpose beyond that most of the time, but I'm not married to that line of thinking. Image dimensions/filesize would be nice, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

>Also there don't seem to be any tags in the body of a post like spoiler or code block tags.
Sorry, I could've probably made it clearer that you can use Markdown, so code can work by enclosing stuff `like this` or indenting everything with a tab/4 spaces/enclosing it ```like this``` for multi-line stuff. Speaking of code, you can upload text files on the programming board, by the way. Properly thumbnailed and everything.
Spoilers are done ||like this||.

>The concept looks nice but I'd say tune the modern design down a little bit (I think it's a little bit too spacious and clean looking)
I'm not sure I follow, are you saying to add more information, basically?
> and maybe look at some elements of Jow Forums or meguca (since you already took captchouli anyway) to look for nice features to steal from them
Anything in particular you'd suggest? I appreciate all the feedback by the way, user.
I pushed a fix for that, seems the CDN still hasn't picked it up. I'll go invalidate the cache manually in a little bit if things don't change.

Attached: 1537085159380.jpg (800x600, 39K)

Also, I just tried to post there and if you get the Captcha wrong because you don't know enough about ur waifu, you get a 500 error instead of a dedicated page telling you to try again.

I've noticed a lot of people saying this, so I'll make that a priority. I'm glad you like the design in general, though.
Weird. I'll see if I can fix that in the next 10-15 minutes.

>The mascot loves you too, user!
Rule 34 when?

>It's too white!
This is kind of ironic.

For the design part I'm having a very hard time trying to describe it. Basically with modern design I'm aiming at lower the low information density and access of white space surrounding it. Maybe it would be possible to make it feel a bit better if you darken the parts surrounding the content a bit so the unused space feels a bit less empty.

As for features from other image boards there could be a lot of things you could do but basically it depends on the direction you want to go with for your imageboards. For example live posting from meguca wouldn't be a good fit for your imageboard since that would invite to much shitposting. However maybe something like a small drawing canvas like oekaki would be nice for drawing very fast concepts to describe things better.

Also regarding images also showing the extension seems like a necessary feature for an art inspired imageboard to have. JPG and PNG matter a lot more since it's not just memes anymore. Also you might want to support way more codecs than Jow Forums does (I haven't looked at the supported codecs yet so you might have implemented more already).

Last post I forgot to mention that futatsu does not automatically redirect you to https though. You might want to fix that.

Be the change you want to see in the world, user.
>Basically with modern design I'm aiming at lower the low information density and access of white space surrounding it.
I generally like more information myself, though I'm trying to slowly ramp up to an acceptable medium. If you suggest specific bits of info that are missing, I can see what I can do.
>Maybe it would be possible to make it feel a bit better if you darken the parts surrounding the content a bit so the unused space feels a bit less empty
Like a drop shadow, or simply a darkened background for the page itself (not the content)? I'm still not sure I understand this bit.

>However maybe something like a small drawing canvas like oekaki would be nice for drawing very fast concepts to describe things better.
Yeah, I like the idea of oekaki. Now that most of the ground-floor expected features are there sans some moderation stuff I can get around to features like that.
>Also regarding images also showing the extension seems like a necessary feature for an art inspired imageboard to have. JPG and PNG matter a lot more since it's not just memes anymore.
Yeah, I agree with this. Just need to find a good place to stick it is all.
>Also you might want to support way more codecs than Jow Forums does (I haven't looked at the supported codecs yet so you might have implemented more already).
I cheated with codec support a bit since I just let ffmpeg thumbnail all videos but otherwise leave videos alone, and I use the Pillow library for images, so you can post WebP/MP4/probably other stuff I haven't tested that ffmpeg supports and things will just work. For now I've just limited video to webm (Maniwani has a feature to limit allowable MIME types), but you can post webp just fine.
>https
Ah, nice catch - fixed.

>captchouli
i like it

Attached: 1544302030158.jpg (1280x720, 86K)

I don't like the wasted space and bigass buttons, but that's just like my opinion.

Why not just use Lat's thumbnailer package too?

Website is faster now than few hours earlier but still a bit slow. Also a minor graphic bug

Attached: 123456.png (1235x839, 328K)

It was nice while it lasted.

Attached: RIP.png (857x646, 42K)

Thank you for using Mozilla Firefox.

It's the only one with "decent" (questionable) downloader integration potential and I'm tired of fetching shit manually. Unfortunately.

I'm glad you like it, user - though it keeps gradually eating up more and more RAM on my server, and I'm not sure why. I'm probably going to just limit its memory and restart it if it crashes.
Yeah, I pushed a fix for that earlier in the CSS but it hasn't propagated yet. I've been tied up with other stuff and haven't been able to invalidate the CDN's cache.
Try again, I think you caught me while I was pushing a configuration change.

Cool project with a cute mascot, OP
I hope it doesn't die like most Jow Forums projects do.

It'll celebrate its first birthday in about 2 months or so, I think if it picks up some other contributors it'll definitely be here to stay. It's been really fun working on it so far, that's for sure.
It's really been nice seeing so many people talk about the mascot; I'm gonna forward all these comments to the guy who drew her.

Attached: 1529123736881.png (392x489, 225K)

Why aren't you using prettier, and indenting your code by two spaces on save?
view-source:futatsu.org/

But really, the only thing I dislike is the use of bootstrap. It doesn't look unique. You need to remove bootstrap, or at least heavily edit the shit out of everything to give it a personalized feel to "futatsu".

Also, this:
>You should probably be 18 or older to post here, or failing that, smart enough to not mention your age to anyone.
Remove this, and replace it with:
>You must be at least 18 years or older to use this site.
Else you may find yourself in some legal trouble. Consider some 15 year old going on and getting in contact with some pedo or something.
>I started talking to him on futatsu.org
>DA goes to the site and sees the above
>Your ass looks like you enabled it

>You need to remove bootstrap, or at least heavily edit the shit out of everything to give it a personalized feel to "futatsu".
Yeah, I plan on adding a custom theme. I've been busy with features/bug testing since starting it last May, but I feel I can finally devote some time to the frontend.
Yeah, you're right with that too. Can't be too careful.

I see you posted the repository. Are you looking for people to contribute? I could redesign some shit.

rule 34 when

Always willing to accept PRs, user. I got started on a CONTRIBUTING.md guide the other day in the hopes that it would help encourage people to submit stuff.

Cool, I'll check back later to see if it's up.

Ah, forgot to mention I had pushed it, sorry: github.com/DangerOnTheRanger/maniwani/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
Probably not going to be too helpful for changing the look outside of telling you where the Sass sources are, but it's a start. The README has reasonably detailed build instructions, too; all you really need is Docker + docker-compose to get up and running. You'd probably be able to poke around and change stuff a bit based off those two documents, I think.

when you take initiative

>"I'm that guy from /wdg/ still working on his im-"
>fateniggers
no

Attached: ultra_reimu.jpg (1200x1600, 185K)

strong words from a 2huposter

your captcha's bullshit

How? If you know characters from Fate it's pretty straightforward, and even if not, you're a google search away. As of a couple minutes ago you don't even have to enter another CAPTCHA for a while after succeeding.

Unlike ReCaptcha v3 I haven't failed a captchouli yet (except a couple of times I was dead drunk).

Saber's the blonde. For reason captchouli has decided the girl in the lowest right corner is also Saber, but once you remember that it's easy.

I need to fix that bogus HTTP 500, though the CAPTCHA did legitimately fail. If you refresh, you should get a different one.

Whom are you quoting?

I tried to submit my short story to /write/ but I got an internal 500 error

you have to do the captcha

Attached: 1531923011513.png (217x29, 1K)

>For this I was hit in the groin twice, which I found oddly arousing.
Your erotica looks like it was too long - each post can contain a maximum of 4096 characters. I don't think I've ever seen someone type an imageboard post that long, user.
Could be that too, though the logs were complaining about that post being too long.

I did the first time, now I'm not even being shown that dropdown.

>Erotica
Sir it is a Homerian epic in the vein of Joyce's Finnegan's Wake. Please do not compare it to trite smut. Soon you will all know of my literary prowess

Very cute logo.

How the h*ck do I register for a slip I get incorrect username and password everytime

t. bot

Thanks user!
Click on the "sign up" button - hitting enter on the form is tied to logging in. I should probably split them off into two separate forms.

I know imageboards are always for weebs by weebs and I get that, but please consider getting rid of lolishit. It's a miracle Yotsuba wasn't more sexualized, this one probably will be

shut the fuck up nerd

There's a pretty simple solution user, just do what this chan does when someone posts porn of the mascot.

This is like an SJW asking to get rid of the toxic masculinity or whatever. You are not going to use board regardless of whether the owner gives in or not.

hopefully it has good moderation. It's the only thing that separates good imageboards from bad ones
wow, is it THAT unreasonable to not like lolishit? You sound a little obsessed with SJWs cause what I'm asking for is completely different. And yes I am planning on using it, I like its idea of being creativity-oriented

>wow, is it THAT unreasonable to not like lolishit?
It is unreasonable to ask the owner to get rid of a brand new top-tier mascot just so that you may grace the board with your presence. Actually, it might serve as a good filter against the worst of moral- and/or normalfags. Anyone who is upset by the mere presence of a loli-ish mascot is either obsessed or ridiculously oversensitive.
>what I'm asking for is completely different
You are using the same tactic. It is not exclusive to SJWs, but they made it famous thru their overuse of it.

>Anyone who is upset by the mere presence of a loli-ish mascot is either obsessed or ridiculously oversensitive
or doesn't like hanging out with pedophiles. You seem extremely defensive about this child mascot. I get it, this board is not for me, only for the most degenerate of weebs

What's wrong with keeping the mascot and banning explicit pornography of her? This very board we're on does that exact thing.

I don't really like lolishit but good grief the mascot isn't even a loli. Jeez.

[x] obsessed
[x] ridiculously oversensitive

>banning explicit pornography of her
isn't the whole board sfw?

I believe I have been trolled. gg

To be fair, see looks under 25.

The vast majority of it is, yes - outside of posting official art (VN porn scenes included) in /fate/ plus self-made NSFW material in /write/ and /draw/, and in all such cases the media should be spoilered.

>outside of posting official art (VN porn scenes included)
brb, dumping takeuchi's porn

I'm genuinely fine with that as long as you spoiler it and dump it in /fate/.

Add a dedicated (you) counter and its a deal.

While you are a hero doing god's job, you should have learn much more of classic CS, minimalism, perfectionism and use of right classy tools.

The shit must be written in Go, with that original Japanese minimalist attitude, and then you might add some JS.

HN should be your inspiration, it was just 300k of code together with a language (but without Racket's runtime).

For a classic imageboard FS is a good-enough storage. Just learn hashing and proper directory structure.

It should utilize pure-functional data structures which means no data is ever over-written or lost. Again, FS is dirt cheap.

You might also take a look at Scala + Finagle and other parts of Twitter's stack, like Coursera did, but the obvious downside is that JVM is such a bloatware.

You might also try Rust instead of Go, but arguably Go has much better libraries already in its stdlib.

I would not recommend Hakell since all the networking libraries are fucking crap. Otherwise it will be the most classy choice, since HN has been written in Lisp.

Just do it. Make it classy as fuck.

Hey, tell you what user, make an issue on Github and we can work something out.

Do you have a logo for it? Maybe I can help making one for the site. :)

Then why are you posting on 4chins? We have a loli mascot too.

Love the site OP! Feels a lot more comfy and less crowded than what we have going on here.
Too bad I cant post cause I have no clue which of the vaguely different anime girls are Saber...

Attached: 1550379995382.jpg (478x463, 158K)

There's always the favicon. :)
Saber is the blonde girl, user. There's only 3 different characters used by the captcha - if you google their name, you should be able to get it without too much extra effort in the future. Also if you correctly solve a captcha, you won't have to solve one again for a good while.

Attached: 1536539497336.jpg (825x1024, 136K)

>if you google their name, you should be able to get it without too much extra effort in the future
I did, but the captcha only gave purple haired lolis. I think I might not be weeb enough for this

Attached: 1274660067682.jpg (435x435, 97K)