Desktop computer

Is there any point in getting a desktop computer, instead of a laptop, excluding gaming and video editing?

Attached: desktop-computer.jpg (500x500, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

semiaccurate.com/2010/07/11/why-nvidias-chips-are-defective/
walmart.com/ip/RCA-Cambio-10-1-2-in-1-32GB-Tablet-with-Windows-10-Intel-Atom-Z8350-2GB-RAM-Includes-Keyboard/56134994
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Laptops are throwaway machines. If it breaks you're fucked and need to purchase a new one.

Lower cost, higher upgradability, higher cpu performance, easier to repair. Try finding a laptop under $1,000 that has the performance of pic related

Attached: image.jpg (305x531, 63K)

4K gaming

Attached: 2019-01-05 (5).jpg (3840x2160, 1.18M)

Not if you give rossman a call

This is true. Especially laptops nowadays.
>Soldered on CPU
>Soldered on RAM
>Non-removable battery
>Overheating issues

I wish laptops had some sort of ATX standard like with desktops so you can just exchange and upgrade components.

>is there a reason to get a desktop instead of a laptop excluding
Brainlet post. If you're not moving it around then why bother with a laptop which has poor ventilation and zero longevity?

A desktop computer is cheaper than a notebook.
Modularity makes it easy to upgrade or fix.

this only matters if you are not trying hard enough in life and are therefore poor.
Lappys are far superior for people who can afford to own things, it's like comparing a Porsche to an pleb tier Volvo or Toyota.
Desktops and computers that aren't made by Mac are for failures and little people.

ebin
But you need to consider the nature too.
Instead of buying a new laptop and putting the old one in the trash because it's outdated and became useless, a desktop allows you to upgrade it with one or two simple parts to last longer, making you consume less resources.

No, by buying new things you are giving the little people jobs and helping the state gather taxes.

nope, laptops are the best

if you try hard enough in life with the same amount of money you can buy a desktop instead of throwing money for an overheating shit that would perform anyway under its capabilities

They did at one time
>mobile CPU sockets
>MXM GPU sockets
>SO-DIMM slots
>Removable and expandable battery
>some even had decent cooling

But most fell to the ease of replacement due to low price, like many other electronics nowadays. Sad.

i sold my desktop, laptop all the way

>missing the pint this much
That's poor people talk.

I bet you could use a proper meal in a good restaurant.
It's time for you to pull yourself together.
Maybe you could learn to code?

*point

I abused the shit out of my msi wind and there's nothing on it that could really break, beyond like integrated motherboard things that could also break on a desktop. It was in a sturdy plastic shell though. I guess it's probably one of the better engineered things I've ever purchased ironically even if the single fan is shit and it's honestly a bad laptop

Thin is bad, that's how it works for laptops, don't ask me, ask the laws of physics and thermodynamics

Pretty much this. Plus you'll spend more to get less while forever fighting a thermal limit. Laptops are good for light work/browsing/movies, but fuck em for anything else.

Don't take the bait, boys.

>people taking this low-quality bait

My laptop cooked itself twice in two years. Fuck laptops and fuck Nvidia for bumpgate.
semiaccurate.com/2010/07/11/why-nvidias-chips-are-defective/

having a perfectly inaudible machine
choosing your peripherals
promoting an healthier lifestyle with a dedicated place for computer stuff, another one for sleeping, etc

>Try finding a laptop under $1,000 that has the performance of pic related
walmart.com/ip/RCA-Cambio-10-1-2-in-1-32GB-Tablet-with-Windows-10-Intel-Atom-Z8350-2GB-RAM-Includes-Keyboard/56134994

This. There was a time when laptops were a lot more like desktops. Although even then, certain components (eg, motherboard, GPU) were never standardized.

I used to try and do everything with a single computer. All through undergrad, I used a Thinkpad T500 for just about everything. And as far as laptops went, it was pretty damn capable. But once I experienced the power and modularity of a desktop, there was just no going back.

They're more powerful, more reliable and cheaper