My company is moving from using Python as their main language to Go. What should I expect?

My company is moving from using Python as their main language to Go. What should I expect?

Attached: 762B3945-1A85-42D9-8726-AD21E1DACE3D.png (340x216, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/golang-standards/project-layout
tech.allo-media.net/point/of/view/2018/03/22/from-python-to-go-to-rust.html
medium.com/@deckarep/paradigms-of-rust-for-the-go-developer-210f67cd6a29
tour.golang.org
golang-book.com
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You should expect to learn Go as your main language

This is why SQL is the comfiest job in IT. You just have to learn it once then you can be on cruise control and enjoy a high 5 figure salary for life.

Attached: IQ intelligence books wall.jpg (538x632, 182K)

/thread

c tier environmental variables that'll make you want to pull your hair out until you eventually learn everything
faster binaries

some initial annoyance
small compact language specification and realistic goal of getting a full understanding of it
rich built-in library, but with weird solutions from time to time
quite ok tools shipped in base
CSP and actor model, maybe learn SPIN model checker as it's easy to rewrite from one to other
headache over combining weird OS quirks all over the place
rewriting everything for Context
few days of reading how the fuck should the project layout be structured

I'm curious about the new dependency features

fpbp

hey senpai user! I'm on the 'how the fuck should project layout be structured' step, can you give me directions?

You can expect suicidal thoughts every time you have to parse even moderately complex json.

I wish I know. It's so convoluted and poorly documented. There doesn't appear to be any page on official website that gives you hints other than the 'go get' documentation and make some implications out of it.

this might help
github.com/golang-standards/project-layout

Is this a new Pokemon?

Howcome tje mascots for these languages get gayer and gayer and gayer...

C without manual memory management and with cheap concurrency.

Go seems to be based on plan9s mascot, which is probably not coincidental considering rob pike and brian kernighan are the prime developers.

For reference

Attached: plan9bunnywhite.jpg (1376x1492, 157K)

a more kawaii mascot tbdesu

Less stress since you're going to be spending a lot of time compiling.

It feels like one of the most well-designed languages until you have to do anything remotely complex in it, at which point it feels like it has training wheels that can't be removed and you realize that "lol no generics" is legitimate criticism.

So basically the opposite of FP.

which are long since the compiler is slow

Of course.
Imagine them actually implement C++ style code generation via templates. Good god, I couldn't even imagine such slow compile times.
Oh wait, yes I could. It's called "rustc".

Less bugs from typing, probably a more annoying coding style but you'll get used to it, and vv nice threading if you do it right.

A style you really can't fuck up because of strict formatting standards.

Yeah go vet is nice. I'm kinda glad the devs built the tool themselves rather than having 10 different linters/beautifiers from other people.

wait... people use python in production? WTF that shit is for students and sysadmins

no self respecting company will use that mess of a language for enterprise

>no self respecting company will use that mess of a language
PHP already made sure that standards do not exist in the real world.

pointing to another shitty language is not really an answer but i guess it's the only defense left for python amateurs

Go compile times are lightning fast.
Python is the most popular language around and is used by businesses all the time, you're just an old boomer.

>boomer
found the python student

go finish your homework, kids talking about tech are just pathetic

>he didn't become a math major
>no 6 figure starting salary

shiggidy

It's been spring break for most colleges, I don't have any homework today old man.

Attached: when_listening_to_stupid_people_ramble_on_540.jpg (500x301, 92K)

bad choice. Rust is superior in any way

From python to Go to Rust: an opinionated journey
tech.allo-media.net/point/of/view/2018/03/22/from-python-to-go-to-rust.html
Paradigms of Rust for the Go developer
medium.com/@deckarep/paradigms-of-rust-for-the-go-developer-210f67cd6a29

You need to go back to wherever you came from.

>My company is moving from using Python as their main language to Go. What should I expect?
if err != nil {
return nil, err
}

All over your codebase

Rust is the inverse kind of garbage.
>let's take sepples but make all of the shitty parts of it unavoidable
>no, wait, what if we made it even uglier and harder to read

>no self respecting company will use that mess of a language for enterprise
Oh you sweet summer child

Is there any reason Golang isn't going to take over for service level and server software? It just seems so god damn useful for larger projects.

You should expect a lot of pain. Go is nothing like Python.
Who made this retarded decision. Next week, go to them and call them a retard.

expect a lack of generics and .

tour.golang.org
golang-book.com

Until someone decides to migrate to NoSQL dbs.
Nightmare mode: migrate everything to Redis, because fuck you.

Strongly disagree, it's good if your bottlenecks are mostly IO-bound processes and/or you can use external libraries written in compilable languages, like numpy or lxml. Finding a good Python dev is much easier and cheaper than e.g. goid Go or C dev and you save a shitton of work hours when writing new features.

How do you apply sql as the only thing for work? Like what exactly are you doing that requires full-time sql? I'm generic backend programmer, so i use sql, but that's like 5% of my work.

>But after only one week of Go, I realised that Go was only half of a progress
>only one week of Go
OK...

>no self respecting company will use that mess of a language for enterprise
lol

>IQ_intelligence_books_wall.jpg
reading books does not increase your IQ lol

API breakage. Often.

>my company is moving to using c++ what should I expect
try{
throw "oof";
} catch(std::exception& e) {
return nullptr;
}

All over your codebase

>rob pike and brian kernighan are the prime developers
>brian kernighan

Attached: nobrain2.jpg (645x729, 135K)

Attached: 1500208059123.jpg (841x1200, 95K)

Not really. The whole point of exceptions is that you don't have them all over the place.

If you have some complex network processing going on, you would get an exception from some unrecoverable IO error (e.g. remote port closed or whatever). You just cancel that entire operation and report the failure to the user. No need to propagate that if err != nil crap all over the top, you just throw and unwind the entire thing. It is less error-prone and of course there is less code to write.

it's rob pike's wife's art. she made all the chill unix guys their login photos or w/e too

The one I will agree with in your post is that Go does compile incredibly quickly.